• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
trilogy has way more content IMO than the modern game

the modern games have the voices and the gruesome part, but for the slapstick that smash is more oriented towards, the unnecessarily misspelt klassic games have way more stuff to use

also MK3 was the peak of generic ninja clone design

View attachment 225921

i'd add scorpion to the most wanted section if we didn't have 4 left lol
Yeah, Ideally, if we somehow got an MK Ninja, I think the MK2 and MK3 designs are the only ones really worth discussing. And I really like some of the other designs.

But those 2 are the most classic versions. Plus we need that MK3 run animation.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So given Mortal Kombat is being talked about. Which do you guys consider the best Mortal Kombat game?

For me I'd say its Trilogy or any of the reboot Mortal Kombat games.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Now I ain't goin that far.

It's till pretty fun aside from Classic Sonic segments. Kinda mindless fun, but fun.
When I think of Forces I think of another game.

Think back to Generations, now imagine that with the level design cut in half lengthwise, and with much of what exploration was available beforehand completely neutered. Also, make half of it 2D, and have the platforming be blockier than many Mario titles. Then axe much of Sonic's versatile moveset and options from Generations, including the Drift of all things, and make his acceleration the equivalent of Lost World but with the run button to switch removed (leaving an awkward jolt in its place between binary acceleration 'gears'). Also, as explained by the OP in the Tweet I posted, automated run sections in forces take all control away from you meaning that you can't Boost, not to mention the addition of splines to snap you on the path at all times heavily restricting freedom of movement.

All that after a 4-year development cycle.

If you can still find ways to have a blast with it then that just means you're more forgiving and yield a stronger will than I. Wish I could be like that with Sonic Heroes (I want to like that game...but I hate its slippery, bottomless pit happy guts).

Most companies aren’t Nintendo. If they put money into a product, they HAVE to sell it, because otherwise it could do major damage to their financial standing and they won’t be able to make games anymore. It’s not like the games just happen and SEGA just screens them before sending them out to be printed.
While true, SEGA themselves don't seem to have a problem with it. If you search up SEGA and DMCA claims look at the links you can get:

They seem to encourage fan content.
As for Forces... I mean, it’s not great. But now that i’ve played it, I don’t feel it’s anything to get angry over either. Not even Classic Sonic. I mean, it helps that I’m not the biggest fan of the genesis games/controls. Not even Mania.

Seriously, at least with Forces I was able to comfortably get through it and have some semblance of fun. In Mania I would game over every two minutes and shout “what am I even supposed to do?”
The Classic formula is all about Level design that's built around momentum, Sonic is affected by the terrain and has those effects exaggerated when rolling and there's generally a multi-tier design in order to offer suitable environments to make use of Sonic's movement and abilities.

It's not for everyone, there are people who prefer the way the Rush series does things for instance.
Also, I like the boost formula. I haven’t played the Adventure games (probably won’t unless they get N. Sane style total remakes, too buggy with a weird *** artstyle), but boosting like that in a game like Generations makes you feel sooo ****ing powerful! The physics, I don’t know, that feels harmless enough. It’s the controls I worry about. I probably won’t play Mania’s sequel or any Classic Sonic games because I can’t get behind the controls. If they made a whole game out of Generations Classic Sonic, then I could get behind that. But if MODERN Sonic got all those “move faster than the speed of sound into enemies and obstacles and take damage because you’re not invincible while running but your also not a god so you have to just play over and over again till you’ve memorized the level, but you can’t even do that because you’ve got lives which force you to restart the level every 3 deaths and prevent you from actually practicing the part you’re stuck on” then I would scream bloody murder.
The only 3D Boost game I kinda liked was Generations. I can see where you're coming from with the high-speed thrill of being able to Boost through levels with a degree of invulnerability, but after a while, you've gotta make some major changes that improve the overall experience. We're four Boost games in and there are still some fundamental problems with this formula.

One of those problems is its effect on level design. 3D platforming is largely an afterthought to the Boost formula's design and that becomes apparent whenever the gameplay steps away from streamlined Arcady high-speed spectacle and makes platforming the focus.

Whatever flow the Boost gameplay establishes with its consistently fast-paced nature falls apart due to how clunky and choppy the controls are at slower speeds and how rudimentary the level design shows itself to be when it's not tailored towards moving as fast as possible.

Shaymay explains a bit of this pretty well in this timestamp (so you don't have to watch the whole thing)

Seriously, what is even the point of lives. I get it in Arcades, a life is a try at the game, pay to get more, that kind of thing. But in consoles, I never understood the point of them, for the reasons outlined above. Can we just agree as a society that we’re beyond lives and ban them from being in any more games?
Life systems in older console games is a holdover from Arcades, but yeah, say if you **** up on a boss starting from the beginning is punishment enough, whereas making the player spend 5-10 minutes replaying an entire level is can potentially be a waste of their time and end up being more frustrating than fun.
Man, I keep forgetting to come back here. :I
This is actually part of the reason my responses are so late. I also just don't really have the time.
Lol...yeah.

I got the game as a Christmas gift year of release so you know I had to spend some time with it. It felt very similar to my experience with '06 in that both games damn near gave me a migraine.

Werehog from Unleashed was pretty close.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Man despite being a good year for movies this year so far. Why is it all my favorites haven't been doing so well? :(

First Shazam!, then Missing Link and now Godzilla 2...Meanwhile Avengers: Endgame I found to be underwhelming but what makes up for it is its third act and final battle.

That said the only movie that has relatively done well so far this year that I've liked is How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. Apparently too Detective Pikachu surprisingly hasn't done well granted I haven't seen it but I'm still surprised given you'd think Pokemon's popularity would guarantee it being at least a billion dollar hit.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So given Mortal Kombat is being talked about. Which do you guys consider the best Mortal Kombat game?

easily trilogy

mortal kombat project is also a good fan-made equivalent

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don’t know.... if still feels weird to me. I see your point but..... I still don’t buy it.

Wait, really? Jeese, get that stick out of your *** Japan.
Japan is the exact opposite of us in the sex/violence debate.

They love sexy ****, but hate uber violence.

Murica loves their guns, but a nipple is the devil incarnate.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Yeah, but have we actually banned entire games from coming over though? I think at most we have parent companies hire some localization teams to censor girls, retcon ages, and change text.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Yeah, but have we actually banned entire games from coming over though? I think at most we have parent companies hire some localization teams to censor girls, retcon ages, and change text.
well, getting an AO rating might as well be getting banned

Shroob

Sup?
That's actually a really good question.

I know Germany's banned a ton of games.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Capcom would get more characters than the others due to having more big name series than the others.

Not only that but they seem very eager to cooperate when it comes to Smash. We have tons of remixes, the characters get proper color palettes, and they are even allowed to get wrecked by Nintendo characters in trailers (Mega Man, Ken). Not too surprising considering their penchant for a crossover.

I have to imagine that they are the easiest third party to work with for Sakurai.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If we must get another Capcom character then I'd hope for it to be Phoenix Wright or Amaterasu. I'd prefer the latter though.

More likely then not though it'll probably be a Resident Evil rep and if so I'd like for Nemesis.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
If we must get another Capcom character then I'd hope for it to be Phoenix Wright or Amaterasu. I'd prefer the latter though.

More likely then not though it'll probably be a Resident Evil rep and if so I'd like for Nemesis.
I love Ammy, but I feel like Okami is the Golden Sun of Capcom when it comes to a potential rep.

Cult fanbase? Sure.

But a dead franchise at the same time.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I love Ammy, but I feel like Okami is the Golden Sun of Capcom when it comes to a potential rep.

Cult fanbase? Sure.

Except unlike Golden Sun, Okami got playable representation in a fighter.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

I love both rather equally.... what does that make me?
When I think of Forces I think of another game.

Think back to Generations, now imagine that with the level design cut in half lengthwise, and with much of what exploration was available beforehand completely neutered. Also, make half of it 2D, and have the platforming be blockier than many Mario titles. Then axe much of Sonic's versatile moveset and options from Generations, including the Drift of all things, and make his acceleration the equivalent of Lost World but with the run button to switch removed (leaving an awkward jolt in its place between binary acceleration 'gears'). Also, as explained by the OP in the Tweet I posted, automated run sections in forces take all control away from you meaning that you can't Boost, not to mention the addition of splines to snap you on the path at all times heavily restricting freedom of movement.

All that after a 4-year development cycle.

If you can still find ways to have a blast with it then that just means you're more forgiving and yield a stronger will than I. Wish I could be like that with Sonic Heroes (I want to like that game...but I hate its slippery, bottomless pit happy guts).

While true, SEGA themselves don't seem to have a problem with it. If you search up SEGA and DMCA claims look at the links you can get:

They seem to encourage fan content.

The Classic formula is all about Level design that's built around momentum, Sonic is affected by the terrain and has those effects exaggerated when rolling and there's generally a multi-tier design in order to offer suitable environments to make use of Sonic's movement and abilities.

It's not for everyone, there are people who prefer the way the Rush series does things for instance.

The only 3D Boost game I kinda liked was Generations. I can see where you're coming from with the high-speed thrill of being able to Boost through levels with a degree of invulnerability, but after a while, you've gotta make some major changes that improve the overall experience. We're four Boost games in and there are still some fundamental problems with this formula.

One of those problems is its effect on level design. 3D platforming is largely an afterthought to the Boost formula's design and that becomes apparent whenever the gameplay steps away from streamlined Arcady high-speed spectacle and makes platforming the focus.

Whatever flow the Boost gameplay establishes with its consistently fast-paced nature falls apart due to how clunky and choppy the controls are at slower speeds and how rudimentary the level design shows itself to be when it's not tailored towards moving as fast as possible.

Shaymay explains a bit of this pretty well in this timestamp (so you don't have to watch the whole thing)

Life systems in older console games is a holdover from Arcades, but yeah, say if you **** up on a boss starting from the beginning is punishment enough, whereas making the player spend 5-10 minutes replaying an entire level is can potentially be a waste of their time and end up being more frustrating than fun.

This is actually part of the reason my responses are so late. I also just don't really have the time.

Lol...yeah.

I got the game as a Christmas gift year of release so you know I had to spend some time with it. It felt very similar to my experience with '06 in that both games damn near gave me a migraine.

Werehog from Unleashed was pretty close.
There were multiple points in Mania when I just couldn’t progress because my spindash didn’t give me enough standing momentum to get up a slope. And even more times when I was moving so fast that I didn’t have enough time to react. All That’s fixed by the invincibility and speed increases of boosting.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I think it says alot that:

Capcom's big enough that it got a boss in WoL without having a character tied to it.

Capcom's arguably the biggest of the 3rd parties in the game if we're talking about just market presence.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

Cult fanbase? Sure.

A shame really. I'd really love her for various reasons.

-I love wolves. Beautiful and majestic animals.
-Would yet again be another quadrupedal rep.
-I love mythology and cultures especially Japanese.

King Sonnn DeDeDoo

Smash Champion
That's actually a really good question.

I know Germany's banned a ton of games.
Germany's also has some really weird censorship with some games. I know for awhile the german version of TF2 had the characters explode into the goofy gibs instead of actual body parts, so they blow up into springs and rubber duckies.

The German version of Command and Conquer: Generals replaced all the human character art with robot versions of them.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'd like to see Dante from the Devil May Cry games make it into Smash, though I feel like I'd be fine with most major Capcom characters. (I'd probably raise an eyebrow if Spencer from Bionic Commando got in, though) They've got a lot of good options; I can see why Nintendo vs. Capcom is a popular concept.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I am hoping nintendo releases an expansion to wol, a new challenge map. With 100 more extra hard spirit battles.

I would buy that.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Oh my god... I actually can’t pick. It’s a three way tie between 9, X, and 11. Each one is super good, but has big flaws that bring it down. To the point that they’re all on the same level for me. And I haven’t played any of the games pre 9 except for....

You know what, I change my mind! It’s MKvDCU because I can have Scorpion fight Superman! It’s great and I really want to see the concept revisited.

Shroob

Sup?
Germany's also has some really weird censorship with some games. I know for awhile the german version of TF2 had the characters explode into the goofy gibs instead of actual body parts, so they blow up into springs and rubber duckies.

The German version of Command and Conquer: Generals replaced all the human character art with robot versions of them.
General

The cooler General

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
scoliosis in the arena: lose streak
no scoliosis in the arena: win streak

when will this turmoil end just let me beat this teacher goddamn

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You know what, I change my mind! It’s MKvDCU because I can have Scorpion fight Superman! It’s great and I really want to see the concept revisited.
While I don't agree given I think its the worst MK game I do respect your opinion. Besides different opinions after all is what makes the world a more unique place. ;)

As for me. I'd say 9. Its got a perfectly balanced roster and it just has that lightning in bottle that can't be repeated given it pretty much made Mortal Kombat relatively popular again from becoming a dying franchise since resorting to 3D fighting.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
While I don't agree given I think its the worst MK game I do respect your opinion. Besides different opinions after all is what makes the world a more unique place. ;)

As for me. I'd say 9. Its got a perfectly balanced roster and it just has that lightning in bottle that can't be repeated given it pretty much made Mortal Kombat relatively popular again from becoming a dying franchise since resorting to 3D fighting.
Oh, I can agree that it's the worst MORTAL KOMBAT game. But it's a pretty good 3D Injustice title, if I do say so myself.

Seriously, so many of the ideas from that game showed up in Injustice but refined. It's actually spooky. It's why I'm clamoring for Injustice vs. Mortal Kombat

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

UMK3/Trilogy or MK9. MK2's also good but the A.I is a huge *****.

I have to shout-out MK Deception, even if its jank.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

The oddest thing about C&CG's censorship is how they replaced the suicide bomber with a barrel full of dynamite, forgetting that the unit can drive vehicles.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hey wait you're not legally allowed to post Scott gifs without being TotsBS
Hey all! Someone's gotta Scott post while Tots is on his sabbatical.

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Oh, I can agree that it's the worst MORTAL KOMBAT game. But it's a pretty good 3D Injustice title, if I do say so myself.

Seriously, so many of the ideas from that game showed up in Injustice but refined. It's actually spooky. It's why I'm clamoring for Injustice vs. Mortal Kombat
I'd prefer Mortal Kombat vs. Killer Instinct to be honest but again I guess that's just me. Downside would be it'd have to be XBox exclusive so probably why some people wouldn't be too keen on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom