• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So apparently my area has some kidnapping issue going on, or some issue where people try to "recruit" people by strangely approaching them (usually at night) and trying to get them to join their "church" (it's a cult), which may or may not tie into trafficking.

From what I can tell, they mostly approach college girls, but I hear that they also approach guys as well, and I, a college freshie who likes running at night, would be lying if I were to say I wasn't a wee bit... worried.
Be safe dingus

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think it's beneficial in two ways to add new series, not just for Smash but for Nintendo.

1) It exposes people who wouldn't be interested in them to try them out and learn more about them. If newer series weren't added, such as Xenoblade or Punch-Out!!, then it doesn't give fans a chance to actually interact with the series, or even further, Nintendo and gaming history.

2) Nintendo gets to capitalize on it and make more money. Fire Emblem is the prime example of Smash as a vehicle for marketing. Fire Emblem wasn't really on the minds of anybody in the West around the time of Melee, and it's now one of the most profitable series for Nintendo and is growing.

More than anything, I think Sakurai literally is just looking for what's the most fun or interesting, and new. If he decided to stick to stuff that sold then...Smash would probably get stale.

If the newcomers from different series are boring to you, I'd highly recommend you play some of their games. They're excellent.
I've played a game from every Nintendo franchise on the roster. Some stick out to me, others don't.

Not saying new franchises are bad, but I feel like Smash 4 serves as an example why we need to strive for a balance of newcomers from both new and old franchises. Yes, new franchises can introduce you to a lot of games you might not have been familiar with prior, but you also want to get characters from the ones you're already familiar with. It's not much fun for fans when the games they already know and love get passed over again and again in favor of, "That one cool series you should definitely give a try someday because it's awesome and definitely deserves more love."

It's hard to relate to a franchise you don't know much about or rarely played.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm surprised that Banjo & Kazooie came officially to Smash before the fan games. Given the length of time, the red tape between companies previously and feeling of impossibility, that is not the order I would have expected. It's surreal, but this is the best timeline. :chuckle:

Noipoi

Howdy!
For Sword and Shield I really wanted either a female rival or a douchebag rival and I got both.

And Hop is there too, I guess.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
>Angry Birds 2 above Detective Pikachu.

I can't even...
What if Angry Birds 2 is actually a masterpiece
From what I've been hearing, it's actually pretty good (still no masterpiece by any means but still good), and way better than the predecessor

Apparently this one's directed by the guy who made Misadventures of Flapjack, so that might explain the jump in quality

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So apparently my area has some kidnapping issue going on, or some issue where people try to "recruit" people by strangely approaching them (usually at night) and trying to get them to join their "church" (it's a cult), which may or may not tie into trafficking.

From what I can tell, they mostly approach college girls, but I hear that they also approach guys as well, and I, a college freshie who likes running at night, would be lying if I were to say I wasn't a wee bit... worried.
Woah, you stay safe my guy. Seriously.
What if Angry Birds 2 is actually a masterpiece
Here’s an even wilder thought. What if it doesn't end with a dance scene?

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
What I've been hearing, it's actually pretty good (still no masterpiece by any means but still good), and way better than the predecessor

Apparently this one's directed by the guy who made Misadventures of Flapjack, so that might explain the jump in quality
Wtf is it actually good?

I am by no means a fan of the first one but I find how bad it is amusing. If this is unironically good I dunno how to feel.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Wtf is it actually good?

I am by no means a fan of the first one but I find how bad it is amusing. If this is unironically good I dunno how to feel.
I mean I've been seeing it get mostly 6/10s and 7/10s but that's still pretty impressive all things considered.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
I may not care about the Angry Birds series but the movie doing very well doesn't upset me.

Detective Pikachu made me very happy and that's all that really matters to me.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
When you think about it, Shrek started pretty much every modern trend in animated movies. A somewhat hardrned hero, a goofy sidekick, a comical villian who keeps getting made fun off for his appearance, tons of pop culture references, dance scene at the end, etc

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
When you think about it, Shrek started pretty much every modern trend in animated movies. A somewhat hardrned hero, a goofy sidekick, a comical villian who keeps getting made fun off for his appearance, tons of pop culture references, dance scene at the end, etc
Shrek really is life

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
For Sword and Shield I really wanted either a female rival or a douchebag rival and I got both.

And Hop is there too, I guess.
It's a shame, because the past rivals were a common complaint from fans. Both of the 3DS games had those super friendly rivals that don't really motivate you to crush them and become better. Game Freak seemingly addressed that problem, but no one noticed.

Game Freak: "We listened. Here's a douchebag rival who dislikes you and thinks he's a literal gift from God."
EBeV8YQWkAADOPS.jpeg.jpg

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I know the internet sees Shrek is this big alpha meme

But we must never forget the masterpieces that are the first two Shrek movies

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While I agree it may have started a trend in animated films, those are also very familiar archetypes that have been around prior--Hercules had a lot of those, for instance. To me, what made Shrek special was the audacity to include irreverent satire in an otherwise family friendly animated film, something I haven't seen quite replicated to that degree (though, to be fair, I haven't seen that many animated films since, and the ones I have, have been Disney or Disney-adjacent).

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
While I agree it may have started a trend in animated films, those are also very familiar archetypes that have been around prior--Hercules had a lot of those, for instance. To me, what made Shrek special was the audacity to include irreverent satire in an otherwise family friendly animated film, something I haven't seen quite replicated to that degree (though, to be fair, I haven't seen that many animated films since, and the ones I have, have been Disney or Disney-adjacent).
Tbf, how often do you see people bring up Hercules

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I want to revisit my Smash-styled Pokémon fighter ideas but the thread I made of it got archived or something and it’s no longer open. Where would be a good place for me to make a new thread of this?
Not sure. When you do make it, though, let me know. Alright?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
What Spongebob did to modern cartoons is what Shrek did to animated films. Too bad the former is an empty husk of a shell of what it once used to be because Nick refuses to put it down as the sick dog it is now.

Some franchises just shouldn't go on for too long that should had ended long ago. That's all I'm saying. This, Family Guy, The Simpsons, etc.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I really wish the "Dragon Quest™ XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age Definitive Edition™ " game was available for playing on my Nintendo Switch system.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well I'll see you guys later. I'm going to my parent-in-laws camp/home to see them as well as my in-laws and brother!

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
This is still my favorite joke in Shrek just because it's true even after 15 years.
A great comedian once said, “A Starbucks across from a Starbucks. That’s the end of the world.” :troll:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Renember the scene in Shrek 3 where tge King died and they had no clue on if they should make the scene silly or serious, so they went with both and it ended up being... kinda ackward?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Super Smash Bros. Crusade has released their SmashCon trailer.

It's not much. Mostly resprites of :ultfox::ultmarth::ultfalco::ultyoshi:&:ultpichu:

Now they need to do Donkey Kong & Zero Suit Samus.
I don't get why they went through the effort of respriting Marth if they were just going to use an outdated design.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Renember the scene in Shrek 3 where tge King died and they had no clue on if they should make the scene silly or serious, so they went with both and it ended up being... kinda ackward?
The entire third movie was honestly pretty awkward. The only redeemable scene in that film was the heart-to-heart chat Shrek had with Arthur.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Gamexplain bought an interesting point about marnie and how she has a Pokémon with a dark side as her ace. Could she also have a dark side they asked:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Isn't that around when most people start? I got a SNES when I was 4. I started reading Nintendo Power when I was 5. It helped teach me how to read.
First game I remember playing was Tekken 3 when I was four or so too. If I played anything earlier, I wouldn't remember.

D

Deleted member

I’m so cool.

I’m the coolest.

I’m cooler than y’all can even fathom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom