• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Huh, didn’t expect Math to be the topic discussed here...

But yeah, Math is probably my best subject. Was in honors the entirety of middle and high school and ended up taking the AP Calculus BC exam.

It’s part of the reason I’m going for a Comp Sci job tbh.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I prefer physics to math.

Math: here are numbers, make them work.
Physics: here's a situation you can imagine where math applies, now learn something about it.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
What’s the purpose?

When in life am I gonna need algebra to buy an apple at a store?
A general understanding of how logarithms and exponents work is useful for having some idea on basic scientific principles that let you make some informed decisions. It's not something you'll use literally every day, but algebra is one of the more generally applicable fields of math.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
UK maths be like

There are n sweets in a bag. 6 of the sweets are orange. The rest of the sweets are yellow.

Hannah takes a random sweet from the bag. She eats the sweet.

Hannah then takes at random another sweet from the bag. She eats the sweet.

The probability that Hannah eats two orange sweets is 1/3.

Show that n² – n – 90 = 0.

god bless this subject
i got an A in GCSEs then never looked at it again

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I would have loved high school math if I didn't have a terrible teacher. A good math equation is basically a logic puzzle and I love that.

But making me solve 30 near identical equations every night while requiring I show my work on all of them quickly killed any fun there could have been for me. Ugh.

Anyway I'm currently on hiatus from college. I want to go back but I'm so busy right now I don't know how I'll find the time and money.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I hated and utterly sucked at math as a kid.

It can still be frustrating nowadays, but I'm a lot better at it than I once was. I like Geometry the most. Algebra's useful sometimes, other times I'm like "at what point in my entire life am I ever going to need to use this?". It's weird. Math can be damn weird.

Noipoi

Howdy!
A general understanding of how logarithms and exponents work is useful for having some idea on basic scientific principles that let you make some informed decisions. It's not something you'll use literally every day, but algebra is one of the more generally applicable fields of math.
Y-yeah but

But it sucks

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
I did maths up to and including A level (that's your last two years at school in the UK FYI) but had tuition for it - it's not really something that came naturally, but felt that I needed to do an A level in one of the 'core' subjects (Maths or English). Was more into the humanities tbh.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Tbh the only Math topics you’re probably gonna need at some point in you’re life is Algebra and Geometry.

And even then, you’re not gonna use them on a daily basis.

I really only went the hard route because of early college credits.

And looking back, I only partially regret it.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
That's kinda sad.

At the college I went to, I never had to take algebra. Instead, I took a Personal Finances and Budgetting class for my math credit. No algebra was forced on me. And it was one of my favorite classes as well.
Maybe it was the fact that was going for associate's degree in science but people of all degrees were in my math classes

StormC

Smash Hero
In general the school system does a bad job getting people excited about learning. People like learning, it’s wired into our brains and we love reading Wikipedia articles and whatnot because it’s no stakes and at our leisure. The school system sucks all the fun out of it, for a lot of different reasons.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I just watched the Ok Ko Sonic episode and I understood every reference. I haven’t played 99% of Sonic games and I got every reference.

I’m suddenly compelled to pick up Sonic Mania letter this year.

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
I just watched the Ok Ko Sonic episode and I understood every reference. I haven’t played 99% of Sonic games and I got every reference.

I want to check out that episode simply because of the crossover.

Sonic mania's my favorite sonic game of all time. It does everything right.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I want to check out that episode simply because of the crossover.

Sonic mania's my favorite sonic game of all time. It does everything right.
The only one I’ve played is Sonic Colors, which I love to death. I’ve never even touched one of the classic 2D sonic games. But I’ve developed a bit of a fascination with them after watching The Geek Critique lol

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I’m surprised a Banjo fan hasn’t played the DKC games. You should do that!

...assuming Nintendo makes them convenient to access again anytime soon.
Yeah, I had Donkey Kong 64!

...but not the expansion pak. xD I had always wanted to play it as a kid, it seemed special given it was yellow. I have mentioned in an alternate universe where I did have an expansion pak, I'd be more excited for K Rool than Banjo & Kazooie. :chuckle:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
I don’t quite know what to play next. I spent almost 70 hours in Three Houses and it was pretty heckin good.

It might be weird if I go to Shadow Dragon next, just because of the many things not in it that a Three Houses has. I have Assassin’s Creed Odyssey to still play, Tales of Vespiria, a few others.

I may just appreciate that I played a great game and mess around with Smash for a bit.
You said you had gotten DQ8 one point right? Did you ever give that a try? It doesn't have to be right away of course, but I would recommend playing that before DQ11, since the former becomes a little harder to play after playing the latter.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Me: Thank god I was able to avoid Maths in College now I won't have to deal with it ever again

Maths: Dread it, run from it, destiny arrives all the same. And now, it's here. Or should I say, I am.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Math is useful if you’re going to get a technical career of some kind. Programming, game development, construction... lots of things require math skills. The useless math still trains you how to use logic, so it’s not all a wash. Except all that theoretical stuff (1+1=1 kind of math). That I got through and never looked back on.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
In general the school system does a bad job getting people excited about learning. People like learning, it’s wired into our brains and we love reading Wikipedia articles and whatnot because it’s no stakes and at our leisure. The school system sucks all the fun out of it, for a lot of different reasons.
nah, My school was fine and I dont have less braincells from it. I got taught well, I just didnt care. Wasnt the schools fault, im juat lazy

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Algebra 2: Algerbruh teaches Typing is pretty underrated as a game. It’s a classic if you ask me

StormC

Smash Hero
Yeah, I had Donkey Kong 64!

...but not the expansion pak. xD I had always wanted to play it as a kid, it seemed special given it was yellow. I have mentioned in an alternate universe where I did have an expansion pak, I'd be more excited for K Rool than Banjo & Kazooie. :chuckle:
I grew up with the DK and Banjo games being a huge pillar of my early gaming experience (rivaled really only by Mario, Pokemon, and Kirby), for as long as I’ve followed the industry reading Nintendo Power I knew Rare’s games were special and have greatly shaped my tastes and preferences.

It wasn’t until middle/high school I got really into Mega Man, Sonic, and Zelda, I had played some of their games before but that was when I really went all in on them. And college is when I got acquainted with Final Fantasy, Persona, and MGS. You can pretty much track my entire life through Smash Ultimate and it’s a big reason why it’s my all time favorite game.

D

Deleted member

So um
Super Smash Flash 2 has more characters than Brawl

and it's gaining on Smash 4

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Algebra 64 was kinda trash tho
algebra 64 was a pivotal moment in the franchise, you absolute hack

if it hadn't made the jump to 3D so early on, who knows what equations might look like today?

Noipoi

Howdy!
algebra 64 was a pivotal moment in the franchise, you absolute hack

if it hadn't made the jump to 3D so early on, who knows what equations might look like today?
Yeah for the franchise it was a huge step, but as a game it’s just outdated man. The camera is atrocious.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Also Smash 4’s new characters were like a fine scotch for me. No one I really cared for at first, but grew to fall in love with most of them, and even started following some series because of it.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I have a lot of problems with the ways schools teach common subjects.

Like how in writing, we're taught to follow specific essay formulas to a T rather then just use them as helpful tools/guidelines, and if we stray from those formulas our grades suffer for it.

Or in how lab science we're often given an experiment and then told to base our hypothesis on it, teaching us a backwards version of the scientific method and rendering the hypothesis entirely moot.

Public school just sucks.

MainJPW

M.T.A
I’ve never even touched one of the classic 2D sonic games. But I’ve developed a bit of a fascination with them after watching The Geek Critique lol
If you don't mind I'd like to recommend strafefox's "The Making of Sonic The Hedgehog" series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY740NlQLmA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQuDnNO9JsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdvtssb10Q8

It's only 3 parts and covers Sonic's early years in fascinating detail accompanied by stupendous video editing.

It's like I'm being transported back to the 80's/90's when I watch his stuff.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

I watched it yesterday, too. And despite the only Sonic games I have played being Generations, Heroes, and Mania, I got almost every reference. My only other experience with the series was with the old school Sonic Cartoon. I loved that as a younger kid. I don't own Generations or Heroes anymore, but I still have Mania, and I plan to finish it.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Scott Cawthon just updated his website...
1565294266200.png

The new FNAF game is looking ****ing wild.

Also, this is now about the 4th time we had a "final" FNAF game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom