• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
yo so is niosi still the voice of byleth in the game right now or did koichi already get patched over him
no, niosi hasn't been patched yet. That will probably happen when lunatic is added

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I think Smash requires a good balance of new and old. Smash 4 might've had more newcomers than any other Smash game to date, but I also feel like it the weakest selection. We got so many new franchises (more than 10) that many of the old ones got neglected because of it.

Adding new franchises keeps the series fresh and opens up a lot of creative opportunities, but you can't neglect your existing franchises either. Even if some of the additions seem forced or repetitive, these franchises mean a lot to people too, and Smash wouldn't be where it is today without them.
I thought the newcomers for 4 were solid, but the game just lacked overall theme and purpose.

- Smash 64 was the first one, and set up the base for the series.
- Melee expanded the idea to be much closer to the games we get now with the extra modes and what not, and playable side characters and villains instead of just main heroes.
- Brawl has its iconic artstyle, the introduction of overdue characters like Meta Knight, Dedede, Diddy, as well as introducing the idea of third parties, and having the huge story mode which is still iconic for its cutscenes.

Smash 4 was just kinda “the next smash game.” It has new characters, a few of which were popular fan requests,, others were just popular games that came out since Brawl.

Besides introducing some big characters, it doesn’t really stand out that much in terms of identity. It doesn’t even have a real name.

The DLC was also all over the place and felt kinda like a separate entity. I don’t really know how to describe it.

Ultimate speaks for itself. It’s the ultimate Smash game for fans of the series and newcomers alike. Every past character returns, even ones thought to be lost to time. Most of the newcomers are big fan requests and the actual ballot toppers. It wore all of these points on its sleeve up to its release and beyond, solidifying it’s identity as the ultimate Smash game.

The DLC for this game feels much more organized and laid out. The Fighters Pass is being presented like a grand expansion that’s building up over time, unlike the disconnected series of characters and stages Smash 4 had.

Honestly, I think the difference between Smash 4 and Ultimate is one of the best manifestations of the change Nintendo has had between the Wii U era and now.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think Smash requires a good balance of new and old. Smash 4 might've had more newcomers than any other Smash game to date, but I also feel like it the weakest selection. We got so many new franchises (more than 10) that many of the old ones got neglected because of it.

Adding new franchises keeps the series fresh and opens up a lot of creative opportunities, but you can't neglect your existing franchises either. Even if some of the additions seem forced or repetitive, these franchises mean a lot to people too, and Smash wouldn't be where it is today without them.
I mean, Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Mega Man and PAC-Man could be considered old franchises depending on how you want to count it. I feel like it was a really good balance of new and old, and I'd suggest, more balanced than Ultimate's newcomer base. And, for me personally, Smash 4's newcomer base roster appealed to me 100% more than Ultimate's, but going back to the previous discussion, that's because I was unlucky enough to not play any of the games the characters were from (outside of Daisy, I guess).

Unless you mean new characters from returning franchises, then yeah I'd agree that it was missing that, though Ultimate's base kind of overcompensated for that (i.e., the only new franchises to Smash, character wise, being Splatoon and Castlevania). But it was the price to pay to get every character back.

EDIT: I'd like to add, Smash 4 is my favorite newcomer base roster out of all of them. I said back then, "How could they ever top Mega Man and PAC-MAN?!" I feel like those two alone solidified Smash 4 as my favorite newcomers, with Bowser Jr., Miis, Shulk and Villager being my other favorites.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

hey, you guys all know that "Seteth Says" meme, right?
I found the template
1565285299440.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I mean, Duck Hunt, Little Mac, Mega Man and PAC-Man could be considered old franchises depending on how you want to count it. I feel like it was a really good balance of new and old, and I'd suggest, more balanced than Ultimate's newcomer base. And, for me personally, Smash 4's newcomer base roster appealed to me 100% more than Ultimate's, but going back to the previous discussion, that's because I was unlucky enough to not play any of the games the characters were from (outside of Daisy, I guess).

Unless you mean new characters from returning franchises, then yeah I'd agree that it was missing that, though Ultimate's base kind of overcompensated for that (i.e., the only new franchises to Smash, character wise, being Splatoon and Castlevania). But it was the price to pay to get every character back.
I was referring to the franchises that were already in Smash prior to Smash 4. We got Mario, Pokemon, FE, and KI. That was it.

That's probably my biggest gripe with Smash 4's roster. People spent so much time speculating on which characters from these franchises would be most likely, only for none of them to get anything. We got new franchise after new franchise, which was fun at first, but you slowly get tired of it over time when none of Nintendo's other super iconic properties outside Mario and Pokemon are being touched. Now if Ridley and K. Rool were added then instead of now, my opinions would be drastically different from what they are today.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

and now, my contribution to the meme
image.png

no joke, i can kind of see claude actually getting into LPS for whatever reason

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Finally got some some time to share my thoughts on this new trailer.

I’m glad regional forms now extend to non-Kanto Pokemon as well. The idea behind Galarian Weezing is cool, and so is the Galarian Zigzagoon line. Galarian Zigzagoon and it’s evolution will take some getting used to, but they do remind me of the common raccoon and badgers I see most often, so bonus points on that front. Obstagoon looks decent too. Not sure if I particularly care for the new Pikachu clone though.

Bede gives a smug jerk impression, so I think there’s a chance he could be the revival of the “jerk” rival archetype we haven’t seen since Gen 2. Marnie seems cool. Judging by what we know of Team Yell (yep, their reveal validated the leak even more), something tells me she might be the daughter of the team’s leader, or some other close affiliation to him/her, hence why Team Yell are avid fans of her.

Not much to say on the new Pokejobs feature. I guess I’d like to see more of it.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
When the fanbase is so notorious for being extremely centred on Nintendo and refusing to try new things that it actually extends to the comp scene and people not wanting to spectate other games.

*coughthisthreadthispastweekendcough*

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Street fighter 5 is doing a sale right now on most of its DLC and I'm questioning whether or not to buy one right now.

The nostalgia costume packs looks really good to me.

D

Deleted member

what is it with fire emblem and having so many voice actors i know
first ben diskin and now veronica taylor???
edit: so i just found out that Ben Diskin has, like an INSANE resume
  • Haida (Aggretsuko)
  • Joseph Joestar (JJBA Part 2)
  • Stitch (Stitch! [The Anime])
  • Mega Man (Mega Man 11)
  • Caspar (FE: Three Houses)
  • Young Xehanort (KHIII)
  • Numbuh 1 (Kids Next Door)
  • Gonzo (Muppet Babies)
and that's just the tip of the iceberg

Raxxel

Hipster Heavyweight Champ
NNID
RaxxelAintHappy
3DS FC
2921-9637-8816
When the fanbase is so notorious for being extremely centred on Nintendo and refusing to try new things that it actually extends to the comp scene and people not wanting to spectate other games.

*coughthisthreadthispastweekendcough*
In fairness, Smash is quite a different animal from the rest of the games featured at EVO. A lot of appeal in spectating a fighting game is knowing what's happening, and a Smash player who doesn't play traditional fighters therefor might not get much out of watching, say, Street Fighter.

That said I've never seen a Smash fan that can't at least appreciate a Tekken grand finals. That **** is hype for anyone watching.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Welp, after some more research into the stories and character, I’ve come yet another conclusion that:
The Edelgard route was either favored by the developers or is “canon”.

While Byleth does indeed bear the “Crest of Flames” (basically the Fire Emblem), the only other characters to bear it are Jeralt and...Edelgard. This is not copied over to the other two routes with Dimitri and Claude to my knowledge. While she basically artificially gains the crest itself, it just screams ideas similar to other games where the Fire Emblem itself takes different forms and usually ends up with the Hero/Heroine.

I really should just stop doing these comments and take it to a chat with some folks, like Opossum Opossum , staindgrey staindgrey and Gentlepanda Gentlepanda but man. The more I find, the more I feel completely validated in my decision.

Anyway, thoughts from those of you who are reading? Between Daddio warning about trusting Rhea, the repeated events of the game that make the Church look corrupt, the bits of story that show Dimitri was wrong to accuse Edelgard for being responsible for the Tragedy of Duscur, and really just the fact that Edelgard wasn’t wrong in starting a war: there is no compromise with the Church of Seiros. It’s like trying to convince people to give away their power for free: it never works.

Edelgard shows much regret in her actions, while realizing there truly is no other way to achieve what she feels is true liberation. That in itself isn’t achieved in the other routes.

Just seems to me that any route other than BE doesn’t go with Jeralt’s warnings, and just kinda turns a blind eye to the obvious corruption in Fodlan.

Black Eagles or bust for me.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
In fairness, Smash is quite a different animal from the rest of the games featured at EVO. A lot of appeal in spectating a fighting game is knowing what's happening, and a Smash player who doesn't play traditional fighters therefor might not get much out of watching, say, Street Fighter.

That said I've never seen a Smash fan that can't at least appreciate a Tekken grand finals. That **** is hype for anyone watching.
Tekken finals were amazing.

In general this evo was full of moments I fell in love with. So much hype and good moments.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
What would you do if you werent allowed to crack open a cold one with the boys?

Im suffering from heat exhaustion, im tired
Welp, after some more research into the stories and character, I’ve come yet another conclusion that:
The Edelgard route was either favored by the developers or is “canon”.

While Byleth does indeed bear the “Crest of Flames” (basically the Fire Emblem), the only other characters to bear it are Jeralt and...Edelgard. This is not copied over to the other two routes with Dimitri and Claude to my knowledge. While she basically artificially gains the crest itself, it just screams ideas similar to other games where the Fire Emblem itself takes different forms and usually ends up with the Hero/Heroine.

I really should just stop doing these comments and take it to a chat with some folks, like Opossum Opossum , staindgrey staindgrey and Gentlepanda Gentlepanda but man. The more I find, the more I feel completely validated in my decision.

Anyway, thoughts from those of you who are reading? Between Daddio warning about trusting Rhea, the repeated events of the game that make the Church look corrupt, the bits of story that show Dimitri was wrong to accuse Edelgard for being responsible for the Tragedy of Duscur, and really just the fact that Edelgard wasn’t wrong in starting a war: there is no compromise with the Church of Seiros. It’s like trying to convince people to give away their power for free: it never works.

Edelgard shows much regret in her actions, while realizing there truly is no other way to achieve what she feels is true liberation. That in itself isn’t achieved in the other routes.

Just seems to me that any route other than BE doesn’t go with Jeralt’s warnings, and just kinda turns a blind eye to the obvious corruption in Fodlan.

Black Eagles or bust for me.
I personally find the "Favored by devs" route in games to be so very forced to be canon

D

Deleted member

ok so I forgot that my favorite artist was following me on twitter
so when I visited his page and saw the "follows you" bubble I nearly had a heart attack
and then i remembered

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Just made it to the death knight. Calling it now the death knight is:
Felix’s dad of one of the church higher ups

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
What would you do if you werent allowed to crack open a cold one with the boys?

Im suffering from heat exhaustion, im tired

I personally find the "Favored by devs" route in games be be so very forced to be canon
Yeah, I agree. Makes you wonder why there would be 3 stories if only one would be considered canon. Though I think it’s valuable to have the different points of view, because you don’t really get the whole story unless you play all three I suppose.

I just decided to spoil myself on a few tidbits of each.

Did you beat it yet? I apologize if I spoiled you on something.

Also staindgrey staindgrey I didn’t realize you haven’t beaten it yet but definitely let me know when you have. I’d love to just chat about it.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I would never open a cold one. In fact, if I drank one, I would die due to the medicine I take. Just saying.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Yeah, I agree. Makes you wonder why there would be 3 stories if only one would be considered canon. Though I think it’s valuable to have the different points of view, because you don’t really get the whole story unless you play all three I suppose.

I just decided to spoil myself on a few tidbits of each.

Did you beat it yet? I apologize if I spoiled you on something.

Also staindgrey staindgrey I didn’t realize you haven’t beaten it yet but definitely let me know when you have. I’d love to just chat about it.
Naw Im still on my first Playthrough with GD and dont worry, I live for spoilers. Should of seen me when thise 3H leaks happend, I was all over it

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
For the longest time I thought the year 2000 didn’t exist. I thought it went from 1999 to 2001.

I was a dumb kid.
If that was what you thought as a kid, then your math skills may have been poor. No offense.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
That's one of those things for me. If we are drinking, I usually bring my own stuff because my friends don't drink the same stuff I do.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
***** my math skills are poor now

I’m probably gonna flunk college based on my math alone.
That's exactly how I feel when I have to do a math thingy...that my mind stays in blank every time I try to process stuff like that. xD I have to re-learn a lot of stuff over and over, because I always forget.

Noipoi

Howdy!
What is 2 plus 2?

That's exactly how I feel when I have to do a math thingy...that my mind stays in blank every time I try to process stuff like that. xD I have to re-learn a lot of stuff over and over, because I always forget.
It’s cuz I’m so absent minded.

I’m constantly thinking about other things it’s hard to get my mind to focus on a bunch of numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom