• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

wow, it's been a year since the 8/8 direct. To celebrate, let's take a look at my incredibly inaccurate prediction roster from just after the direct.
View attachment 234071

remember Skull Kid?
Blaziken??? what was going through your head that day
actually, scratch that: what were you smoking that day :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
One year since my boi's announcement is what brought back inner childhood for Nintendo back and got me back into the company and its franchises. A day I'll never forget.

Also the day my dog fully recovered from her surgery finally getting her stitches removed. :)

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
Hey come on Blaziken would be cool. If any Hoenn rep got in i'd say he was one of the most likely candidates.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Manuela: Tell me professor, how did you become such a great teacher in such a short amount of time?

Byleth: Fishing

Manuela: ...What do you-

Byleth: Just. Fishing.

D

Deleted member

Hey come on Blaziken would be cool. If any Hoenn rep got in i'd say he was one of the most likely candidates.
Not saying he wouldn't be, but why is he a Captain Falcon echo on that roster

Last edited by a moderator:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Stuff like Tetris could definitely work as just a stage, even if a character could be funny.

Stuff like Minecraft, however, feature stuff that you’d need a character to represent, like different items, resource gathering, building blocks, and whatever. Most people I’ve seen say this actually try and use it as an argument against characters like Steve instead of using it as their own opinion, so I just find it very annoying. I also don’t understand how they’d find it true if they’ve actually played the game, but whatever I guess. They usually just want to shoot the character down, anyway, not even trying to use their own imagination...and it doesn’t even take much thought to come up with some moves for Steve, especially with the unique stuff in the game and when some people have already done it.

More for Minecraft in particular, Sakurai loved how even a stone could be used for something later...so there’s that.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
Well I mean you managed to guess chrom was an echo of roy so kudos I guess
No, this roster was made after the direct he was announced. I had predicted him earlier, but I thought he would be an Ike echo.
Blaziken??? what was going through your head that day
actually, scratch that: what were you smoking that day :p
It's a popular Pokemon and is an easy echo, it wouldn't be too strange.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
it's called a joke
i was more referring to the fact that he put Blaziken as a Captain Falcon echo, really
I heard that a lot around that time period, and I was confused then--still now.

(yes I know the reasoning, it's still a bizarre combination)

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I should share my ultimate roster prediction too. I made it right before e3 2018 and it was waaay off. I think I had mikikyu and spyro in there haha.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Holy **** how are the Keto spambots still going today, I thought their activity was restricted to the early morning but there’s been posts every hour

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I couldn't find my roster from last year so here's one I did about 3 and a half years ago. I remember showing it to someone and he was like "why would ken and banjo get in?" heh.

oldroster.png

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
claude levels up once and gets an amazing level up, all the right stats got hit

not regretting this decision at all

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I knew what Castlevania was, I just didn't know who Richter was. And TBF I'm still mostly clueless on who he is.
He comes from some of the best Castlevania games, being Rondo of Blood, and Symphony of the Night.

Believe it or not, Richter was a bit of a goofball in his games, even though he is seen as somewhat serious in Smash.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I remember people going "Wait, what is Castlevania?" when Simon and Richter were announced, because you know, Smash Players don't try out other games. /s
You have no idea how much truth is actually hidden in your sarcasm.

It's not that Smash fans don't try the series that get in. There's a reason for that, whether it's age, financial restrictions, or interest. But one thing the fanbase is notorious for, at least the character speculation side of the fanbase, is that most of the fans are folks who grew up on Nintendo and haven't branched out. Around the time of Brawl, I was one of those people who had no idea who Snake was, and wanted Sonic because he was...well, Sonic. Add onto that the fact that he was on Gamecube pretty frequently...

The roster becomes waaaay more special when you have actually played a bit of everything. It's the reason I played Zelda, Metroid, Metal Gear, F-Zero, Castlevania, Earthbound, Kid Icarus Uprising, more Kirby, Persona, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Fire Emblem...pretty much most of the roster. Granted, I don't spend my money on much else aside from financial obligations, and...games and comics. That's about it.

As I always say, if you want to try out a new series you haven't played before, it's super worth it. Pretty much most if not all series with playable characters in Smash are worthwhile to play for one reason or another.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I have always been the one and only Chainz.
If you say so.

He comes from some of the best Castlevania games, being Rondo of Blood, and Symphony of the Night.

Believe it or not, Richter was a bit of a goofball in his games, even though he is seen as somewhat serious in Smash.
He should have been given Hydro Storm for his FS. Would have been nice.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
yo so is niosi still the voice of byleth in the game right now or did koichi already get patched over him

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
You have no idea how much truth is actually hidden in your sarcasm.

It's not that Smash fans don't try the series that get in. There's a reason for that, whether it's age, financial restrictions, or interest. But one thing the fanbase is notorious for, at least the character speculation side of the fanbase, is that most of the fans are folks who grew up on Nintendo and haven't branched out. Around the time of Brawl, I was one of those people who had no idea who Snake was, and wanted Sonic because he was...well, Sonic. Add onto that the fact that he was on Gamecube pretty frequently...

The roster becomes waaaay more special when you have actually played a bit of everything. It's the reason I played Zelda, Metroid, Metal Gear, F-Zero, Castlevania, Earthbound, Kid Icarus Uprising, more Kirby, Persona, Final Fantasy, Street Fighter, Fire Emblem...pretty much most of the roster. Granted, I don't spend my money on much else aside from financial obligations, and...games and comics. That's about it.

As I always say, if you want to try out a new series you haven't played before, it's super worth it. Pretty much most if not all series with playable characters in Smash are worthwhile to play for one reason or another.
I agree, but one thing that also makes Smash so special is finding a new series through it. Melee was one of the first games I can remember playing, and before that, the only franchises in Smash that I knew was Mario, Kirby, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Pac-Man, and Sonic, and I didn't even try out Pokemon until Black and White.

One thing I owe to the Smash series is letting me try out new franchises like Metroid, Zelda, Pokemon, and the like, many of which I became a fan of.

Unfortunately, a lot of Smash fans are stubborn and refuse to try anything new.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
sol badguy would pass the anime swordfighter hate just off the fact that he looks cool

you can't disprove this

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I remember when I first played Smash I only knew the Mario characters, Young Link (through Majora's Mask) the Pokemon and had heard about Star Fox, Kirby and Metroid through magazine ads.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think Smash requires a good balance of new and old. Smash 4 might've had more newcomers than any other Smash game to date, but I also feel like it the weakest selection. We got so many new franchises (more than 10) that many of the old ones got neglected because of it.

Adding new franchises keeps the series fresh and opens up a lot of creative opportunities, but you can't neglect your existing franchises either. Even if some of the additions seem forced or repetitive, these franchises mean a lot to people too, and Smash wouldn't be where it is today without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom