• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I'm so freakin' close to the timeskip, my heart shaking.

also
Thanks to the power of DBZ fusion, I can use Nosferatu while not being a mage.

Ennemies are going be like

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I mean, technically we already have SimCity content in Smash.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
SimCity is one of those franchises like Tetris, Minecraft, and Skyrim. I’ve always thought they deserved representation. But a stage is the best way to represent them.
I don’t really understand how or why just a stage is the “best” way to represent things like Minecraft.

Not to mention a character would be cool as well and wouldn’t hurt representation at all, but you actually can’t represent all of the game’s stuff with just a stage without doing things that they could literally do with every character.

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
SimCity is one of those franchises like Tetris, Minecraft, and Skyrim. I’ve always thought they deserved representation. But a stage is the best way to represent them.
Minecraft and Skyrim can work with a character.

SimCity already works as an Assist Trophy, and could also be a stage, and Tetris can actually work REALLY well as an Assist Trophy come to think of it. Not sure on characters unless you want Mr. GameBoy Man who attacks with stuff from Retro GB games.

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I don’t really understand how or why just a stage is the “best” way to represent things like Minecraft.

Not to mention a character would be cool as well and wouldn’t hurt representation at all, but you actually can’t represent all of the game’s stuff with just a stage without doing things that they could literally do with every character.
Saying a series is best represented by a stage or boss is usually just a roundabout way of saying you don't want the character. Having a character is always best, full stop.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The memes are evolving.
Nothing can stop them, and it's GLORIOUS!

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
Minecraft and Skyrim have actual protagonists that could be made into Smash characters. Tetris has nothing, and The Sims has characters but no protagonists AFAIK. So Tetris and The Sims could be given a stage and/or item.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Now that I've spoiled myself on some of the story of the Blue Lions, yeah.

I'm real glad I went with the Black Eagles. Gimme flak for it, but I would be 100% fine with Edelgard in Smash, although I doubt it would happen in the first place. She's a great character.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Saying a series is best represented by a stage or boss is usually just a roundabout way of saying you don't want the character. Having a character is always best, full stop.
This was also literally the exact argument used against Duck Hunt before their inclusion. "Not everything needs to be a character, it'd be fine as a stage."

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
To be fair, I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with saying, "Not everything needs to be a character, it'd be fine as a stage". It's true. It's just that folks weaponize it to shoot down characters they don't want, which is where it gets murky.

Like not that Smash speculation is "real ****", but I think people focus way too much on characters to the point that they don't think about how series are represented through music, stages, and other ways. Characters may be the most hype, as that's what fans look for, but the idea that any new series to Smash absolutely must have a character? I fundamentally disagree.

Tetris for example, has no actual characters. There's no main character. You, as the player, may as well be the main character. The blocks have no personality. They're blocks. They don't have arms and legs. Their role is literally to be rotated into open spaces.

That, to me, is one of the only examples of, "Would be best as a stage". Others may disagree, but that's one stage I think would be fantastic, and not needing a playable character to go with it.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Thinks of all the people that say "Advance Wars is best represented as an AT and/or Stage".

I usually find that these people have no idea what they're talking about saying nonsense like that (probably not even familiar with the series themselves). Considering the Unit Purchasing system Andy would being to Smash would easily make him one of the most unique newcomers. Being able to do what like, no one on the roster is capable of doing.

D

Deleted member

To be fair, I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with saying, "Not everything needs to be a character, it'd be fine as a stage". It's true. It's just that folks weaponize it to shoot down characters they don't want, which is where it gets murky.

Like not that Smash speculation is "real ****", but I think people focus way too much on characters to the point that they don't think about how series are represented through music, stages, and other ways. Characters may be the most hype, as that's what fans look for, but the idea that any new series to Smash absolutely must have a character? I fundamentally disagree.

Tetris for example, has no actual characters. There's no main character. You, as the player, may as well be the main character. The blocks have no personality. They're blocks. They don't have arms and legs. Their role is literally to be rotated into open spaces.

That, to me, is one of the only examples of, "Would be best as a stage". Others may disagree, but that's one stage I think would be fantastic, and not needing a playable character to go with it.
But then you realize that Tetris Block could have an awesome moveset

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Shoutout to ZaneHitsurugi ZaneHitsurugi for telling me that Target apparently sells video games

now i got three houses and now i can relate to everyone babyyyy

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

I'm saying: Bring in M R. G A M E B O Y M A N

Neutral B is the Superball that bounces off platforms

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This was also literally the exact argument used against Duck Hunt before their inclusion. "Not everything needs to be a character, it'd be fine as a stage."
I mean

we got both :4duckhunt:

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Morning, Everyone! Anyone here been catching up with Infinity Train? Decided to give it a shot and I've been kind of invested in the story and where it goes.

D

Deleted member

You gotta be ****ting me
Duck Hunt Dog was like the most popular choice for a new NES era rep, was it not??

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also, I love how we keep pushing the "anyone can get in" character. First, when Snake was revealed, it was "WOW, NOW ANYBODY CAN GET IN", and then with Sonic it was "WOW, NOW ANYBODY CAN GET IN", and then with Cloud it was "WOW, NOW ANYBODY CAN GET IN", and then with Ridley it was, "WOW, NOW ANYBODY CAN GET IN", and then with K. Rool it was "WOW, NOW ANYBODY CAN GET IN", and then witg Plant it was "WOW, NOW ANYBODY CAN GET IN", and now with Banjo, it's "WOW, NO ANYBODY CAN GET IN".

The Smash community is a broken record.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
alright time to play three houses baby

which house do i choose and how are you going to assassinate me before i pick golden deer

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
alright time to play three houses baby

which house do i choose and how are you going to assassinate me before i pick golden deer
While Golden Deer is likely a good choice, I went Black Eagles. Their units are really great, and incredibly varied.

Plus, Edelgard is the best.

No but really, if you want my honest but probably uninformed opinion, Black Eagles route seems to me to be the "true" route. But that may differ based on who you ask.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'm saying: Bring in M R. G A M E B O Y M A N

Neutral B is the Superball that bounces off platforms
Down B is Mole Mania, where Mr Gameboy Man burrows under the ground where you can control his trajectory by holding down the buttons. Once you let go or you're down there for about 3 to 5 seconds, he will rise out of the ground hitting any opponent in his way.

Dang... I actually really want this now

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
No, that's not true--and not a fan of insinuating you know someone's ulterior intentions/motivations. A person can think a game/franchise is most notable for the world rather than the characters, especially in the games where the character is an avatar or generic archetype, without hating on the characters or the franchise themselves. If you disagree and believe the characters in a particular franchise are important, that's fine, but you can't dismiss an opinion because you don't like it.

And to that full stop, I (respectively) disagree. There are many ways to represent a character, despite speculation focusing primarily on characters--and I don't believe having a character is always best. I'd love Tetris to be represented more than music--as a stage--but trying to make the blocks into a character is, IMHO, just shoehorning it in, and not actually faithfully representing the series.

Disagreeing on a particular point is fine--Agree to disagree if you'd rather not argue an actual point, but saying "that opinion is wrong and you just don't like the character" comes across as unnecessary and unhelpful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom