• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Rude.

I’m basing this off of the General feel i’ve Gotten from the community in the time i’ve Been here and from before as a part of the Smash communities in youtube and Twitter. Phoenix and Layton have always been there, but they’ve never been lost toppers.
Really? I see both mention quite often personally. In these fan polls people love to reference both are seen relatively high up there.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
They’re relatively small franchises, one of them from a pretty small company. With small but dedicated fan bases. At least Banjo had a huge following and decades of constant requests. Phoenix and Layton would both be just, “Hey. That’s cool”. Not, this
Counter point: When Phoenix was added to Marvel 3.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Really? I see both mention quite often personally. In these fan polls people love to reference both are seen relatively high up there.
You really think Phoenix and Layton would result in a whole crowd of people freaking out with excitement? I’m sorry. I just don’t see it.

Like I said. They’ve always been there. They’ve just never been top of the list picks.

Counter point: When Phoenix was added to Marvel 3.
That was a dedicated Capcom game. It concentrates the fan base and limits the selection. Of course people there were gonna like Phoenix. But that’s not gonna be how the general audience who plays smash reacts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
You really thing Phoenix and Layton would result in a whole crowd of people freaking out with excitement? I’m sorry. I just don’t see it.
I could because Smash mostly caters to the Nintendo fandom. Both are Nintendo cousins and were Nintendo exclusive until very recently.

D

Deleted member

That was a dedicated Capcom game. It concentrates the fan base and limits the selection. Of course people there were gonna like Phoenix. But that’s not gonna be how the general audience who plays smash reacts.
I kind of see what you're saying, but at the same time, bashing on other peoples picks is a no-no

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I could because Smash mostly caters to the Nintendo fandom. Both are Nintendo cousins and were Nintendo exclusive until very recently.
I’m sorry. But I just don’t believe that. The evidence from the community just hasn’t been there. Never have I seen a video with either topping the “characters I want in Smash” lists. And there are plenty. Never have I seen a fan poll where either is even in the top 3. They’re just not that big.

I kind of see what you're saying, but at the same time, bashing on other peoples picks is a no-no
Hey. I’m not saying they’re bad characters and I think they would be great in Smash. But they’re the kinds of characters you add in the base game. Not the kind of characters you try to sell on their own as dlc.

Last edited:

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
gonna be real, "phoenix wright in smash wouldn't get a crowd cheering" is the strangest take i've heard all week

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I’m sorry. But I just don’t believe that. The evidence from the community just hasn’t been there. Never have I seen a video with either topping the “characters I want in Smash” lists. And there are plenty. Never have I seen a fan poll where either is even in the top 3. They’re just not that big.
Smash bubble for you. It always depends where you look, Bayonetta was met with contempt and hatred here yet Tumblr and NeoGAF back when people didn't jump ship to ResetERA absolutely loved her announcement

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Never have I seen a video with either topping the “characters I want in Smash” lists. And there are plenty. Never have I seen a fan poll where either is even in the top 3. They’re just not that big.
Fam, Ive seen layton in MANY characters I want in smash videos

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
The general audience that plays Smash probably has more overlap with Ace Attorney and Professor Layton than they do Persona, given the Nintendo presence of the former series.

You really think Phoenix and Layton would result in a whole crowd of people freaking out with excitement? I’m sorry. I just don’t see it.
Probably. If you can get a crowd of westerners freaking out about DQ Hero, then yeah. Probably.

I'm not arguing they're massive heavyweights, but it doesn't take that to rile up the fanbase.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Here's one in February

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Smash bubble for you. It always depends where you look, Bayonetta was met with contempt and hatred here yet Tumblr and NeoGAF back when people didn't jump ship to ResetERA absolutely loved her announcement
Then there are like, 5 Smash bubbles. Because I wasn’t here when she was revealed. But I was on twitter and on YouTube. And the only people I saw who hated bayonetta hated her after she came out because she was OP.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
half the time crowds freak out about literally anything you put in front of them

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I remember when a lot of people where hyped to see the Professor Layton and Ace Attorney series cross over for the first time so I'd definitely see a lot of people being hyped to see these two characters again join the Smash roster.

Besides Smash doesn't solely cater towards the Smash audience, but also outside audiences. Heck didn't Nintendo themselves state that they where looking to also expand their demographics outside of the Smash player base for DLC earlier this year?

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I mean you don’t see that many Steve fans around here but that doesn’t mean he’s not a popular choice; Steve moveset videos get loads of likes far outnumbering dislikes, one reaching 103k likes with only 1.5k dislikes. A lot of fans are quiet. Steve even got within the top ten in a few polls, one on that fan-made Smash Bros. twitter that does fan ballots.

Same with Sora; you don’t see that many Sora fans on big Smash sites like this one, but that doesn’t mean he’s not popular. Layton and Phoenix seem popular, too.

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Here's a pokemon starter tier list. This is based off how I like them in the games; anime versions are excluded:

1565272062625.png
No pokemon finished in F tier

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
I remember when a lot of people where hyped to see the Professor Layton and Ace Attorney series cross over for the first time so I'd definitely see a lot of people being hyped to see these two characters again join the Smash roster.

Besides Smash, doesn't only cater towards the Smash audience, but also outside audiences. Heck didn't Nintendo themselves state that they where looking to also expand their demographics outside of the Smash player base for DLC earlier this year?
PLvsAA was the best thing to ever happen. The hype behind that was fan ****ing tastic

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Yeah. Where he’s number freakin 7. Your proving my point. He’s not a list topper.
How is 7th not high lmao. Especially when in this case he managed to get ahead of Crash Bandicoot, Rayman and Doomslayer?

There was another strawpoll one where he was 2nd last I time I saw it (and there were about 500-600 votes)

Last edited:

Ace C.R.O.S.S.

Smash Ace
They’re relatively small franchises, one of them from a pretty small company. With small but dedicated fan bases. At least Banjo had a huge following and decades of constant requests. Phoenix and Layton would both be just, “Hey. That’s cool”. Not, this
Are... You serious?
Personally, I would have a stroke if Phoenix Wright gets in Smash...

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I mean you don’t see that many Steve fans around here but that doesn’t mean he’s not a popular choice; Steve moveset videos get loads of likes far outnumbering dislikes, one reaching 103k likes with only 1.5k dislikes. A lot of fans are quiet. Steve even got within the top ten in a few polls, one on that fan-made Smash Bros. twitter that does fan ballots.

Same with Sora; you don’t see that many Sora fans on big Smash sites like this one, but that doesn’t mean he’s not popular. Layton and Phoenix seem popular, too.
Sora's fanbase has only quieted because the rumours for Erdrick took over and became hard to deny. Back when it was just a nebulous "SE character" there was a lot more noise for him. Once everything resets he'll have a lot of popularity going into the next game.

Layton's popularity peaked a long time ago, but if Level-5 can reignite the prominence that series used to have, it'll be back. Phoenix Wright seems like the kind of character that will always simmer around high-mid to low-high tier popularity imo. But that's also where I would've placed Joker.

And Steve's popularity perplexes me but I don't deny its existence. I think the year of rumours probably aided that fanbase.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I swear, it feels like every day now we get into a debate on whether Phoenix Wright would be a viable candidate or not

It's pretty much become the new Banjo vs Steve

Like can we argue about something original for once?

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Sora's fanbase has only quieted because the rumours for Erdrick took over and became hard to deny. Back when it was just a nebulous "SE character" there was a lot more noise for him. Once everything resets he'll have a lot of popularity going into the next game.

Layton's popularity peaked a long time ago, but if Level-5 can reignite the prominence that series used to have, it'll be back. Phoenix Wright seems like the kind of character that will always simmer around high-mid to low-high tier popularity imo. But that's also where I would've placed Joker.

And Steve's popularity perplexes me but I don't deny its existence. I think the year of rumours probably aided that fanbase.
The issue with Sora is the House of the Mouse, which is a pretty big hurdle to get over.
You already got it with Layton, he hit his peak in Smash 4, and after that, it was the Phoenix train plowing through.
As for Steve, we always existed, but you know, in Smash 4 times, Minecraft was... "cringe". Heck, it was "cringe" up until late last year, where everyone was suddenly sick of Fortnite and moved back to Minecraft.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
I swear, it feels like every day now we get into a debate on whether Phoenix Wright would be a viable candidate or not

ladies and gentlemen i'm your host panda and welcome to the thirteenth daily debate of byleth vs edelgard

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

I think some of the people here are dead set on Resident Evil and DOOM, which is why this argument comes up often.

Speaking of DOOM, people are sleeping hard on Skyrim.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
As for Steve, we always existed, but you know, in Smash 4 times, Minecraft was... "cringe". Heck, it was "cringe" up until late last year, where everyone was suddenly sick of Fortnite and moved back to Minecraft.
Yeah, nevermind Minecraft has and had existed long enough for nostalgic memories from fans, trolls and haters have to find whatever popular thing they can dump on just because of “newer” or children, whom every family-friendly game has attracted, or even games like CoD. I’m not surprised Steve fans seem mostly quiet, just liking videos and doing few things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom