• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Can I just say. I have no idea how Pokémon is so popular when it’s a turn based rpg. Aren’t those the super big and confusing games that casuals can’t understand?
Pokemon's actually a pretty accessible one, all things considered.

Not really a fan of most turn based RPGs because like you said, they're pretty big and confusing,

but I absolutely adore Pokemon. It's very simple in comparison to most JRPGs.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Can I just say. I have no idea how Pokémon is so popular when it’s a turn based rpg. Aren’t those the super big and confusing games that casuals can’t understand?
Not every single one is like that. Pokémon has the perfect balance of simplicity for newcomers, and complex strategies for veterans, in my opinion.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I think you don't have to worry just yet. So far, we've only gotten three trailers for the game, which is nothing compared to previous entries. There's still a lot to be shown off, and just looking at what little we already know, I can easily tell this game will be handled better than XY. To what extent, I don't know, but I'm hopeful.
I've not completely given up yet, but I will begin getting quite pessimistic about the games if the next presentation doesn't show us anything impressive, there's still a long time until release, but it's hard to get excited when you've been in this spot so many times. Next year I'll have played the franchise for two decades, that's 80% of my life, so I'm not won over by all the small things anymore like Pokémon designs, quirky characters or once-per-battle mechanics, I need a big change from the series to really spark my passion for it again.

The funny thing about X/Y is that I actually thought they handled its marketing exceptionally well, pre-release they looked like they were going to be amazing games imo, but I ended up finding them really mediocre, largely because the main story and region were lackluster and tired. I suppose there's always the chance that Sw/Sh could be the opposite of that, but I can only judge the games based on what they're showing us, and I'm not willing to be blindly optimistic about them since the past two main entries haven't given me reason to trust Game Freak.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Accessibility. It is a RPG, but conceptually a more complex rock-paper-scissors which is a simple game to understand.
Charming, cute, and/or interesting designs. The art style and the art work appeals to both West and East, child and adult.
Fantastic marketing in its early days

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Here’s my take on SwSh.

Overall, I’m excited. I’m excited to have another new region to explore, with a whole new cast of Pokémon to catch, and a whole new story with characters to meet.
I’m bummed out about the national dex, and I think there reasons aren’t great.

Visually the game looks ok. It doesn’t look bad. It doesn’t look great for the hardware. That’d be fine, if they didn’t cite “high quality” graphics as the reason they’re cutting the Pokédex.
I’d be fine with less Pokémon but amazing graphics and new models/animations, or all Pokémon with ok graphics and reused models/animations.
We’re getting less Pokémon with ok graphics and reused models/animations. And Mega Evolutions cut in favor of “BIG.”

That being said, the wild areas look really fun to explore, and it’s still “a new Pokémon game in HD for the Switch” so I’ll be excited, despite it being just another new generation with some pros and some cons.

At the same time, I’d also be excited for another pretty linear, story-driven Zelda game like Skyward Sword for Switch.
I’d also be excited for Mario 3D World 2 with recycled assets and new level design.
I’d also be excited for another normal Smash game with some new characters and cuts.
I’d also be excited for another basic Fire Emblem game but for Switch.

But I didn’t get those. Instead, each of those series took big steps to break down what makes those series great, and to build new experiences that blow the last few entries out of the water and really breath new life into those series and evolve them. And everybody loved it, and you can see the passion to not only make something new, but to make something better in each of those games.

Pokémon, despite making more money than all those series, isn’t doing that, and is just opting for another new generation like we’ve gotten since the series started, and I can’t help but find that a little disappointing.
Yeah, that's basically my thoughts on it too. Well said.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
One last thing I feel the need to mention.

People also bring up that GameFreak doesn’t have enough people to make this game as great as everyone wants, and to that i have two solutions.

1. Get people off Town for now. You can do your new IP, but don’t actually cut yourselves in half between your new IP that might completely flop and the FIRST MAINLINE CONSOLE GAME FOR THE HIGHEST GROSSING MEDIA FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME. You can go back to Town later, or do Town now and do SwSh later if that was a possibility. Doesn’t matter to me as long as you’re making the best games possible.

2. Get more people. The BotW team brought in people from Monolithsoft to help them with making the ambitious open world project they wanted to make. You can do the same for your project.

That’s like saying Smash shouldn’t be popular because it’s a fighting game, and those take a lot of skill to do well in.
Just because I can’t hold my own in something like Street Fighter doesn’t mean I’m horrible at every game in the damn genre.

Noipoi

Howdy!
One last thing I feel the need to mention.

People also bring up that GameFreak doesn’t have enough people to make this game as great as everyone wants, and to that i have two solutions.

1. Get people off Town for now. You can do your new IP, but don’t actually cut yourselves in half between your new IP that might completely flop and the FIRST MAINLINE CONSOLE GAME FOR THE HIGHEST GROSSING MEDIA FRANCHISE OF ALL TIME. You can go back to Town later, or do Town now and do SwSh later if that was a possibility. Doesn’t matter to me as long as you’re making the best games possible.

2. Get more people. The BotW team brought in people from Monolithsoft to help them with making the ambitious open world project they wanted to make. You can do the same for your project.
That’s what I don’t get

I’m willing to believe they simply don’t have the manpower, but why not hire more people then? Do they just not want to? It’s weird.

kirbsmash

Smash Champion
That’s like saying Smash shouldn’t be popular because it’s a fighting game, and those take a lot of skill to do well in.
Just because I can’t hold my own in something like Street Fighter doesn’t mean I’m horrible at every game in the damn genre.
Double post, my friend.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
So... did we get to hear anything on the datamine front yet?

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
. Get more people. The BotW team brought in people from Monolithsoft to help them with making the ambitious open world project they wanted to make. You can do the same for your project.
just like how SE went from the bare-bones game that was Dragon Quest Builders 1 to Dragon Quest Builders 2 who had help from ω-Force, a division of Koei Tecmo, to help with the sequal and FE:TH with Koei. and they are ****ing fantastic

imagine if Gamefreak asked for help for Koei

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dear Noipoi
How the hell do you have more than triple my post count after being on smashboards less than half as long as me

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
Actually there was one thing found in the code.

“Stop looking at my ****. **** you.”

Wonder what it means.
i can't believe jane hairbones is speaking directly to us through the code

we must treasure this divine message, whatever it might mean

D

Deleted member

I mean I have my own problems with Sword and Shield but the graphics don't always make or break a game.
Just look at Three Houses, it's a great game, amazing even, but to be frank it looks like only slightly better than an upscaled 3DS game and the characters all use the same canned animations for the most part.

Last edited by a moderator:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
drawing for the next two AMAs has concluded, ladies and gentlemen

first up later tonight, it's...

View attachment 233530

@PeridotGX! congratulations, for your birthday you get to have panda nag you with questions

and second up next thursday, it's...

View attachment 233531

staindgrey staindgrey ! the guy whose job panda mercilessly stole

so long as @PeridotGX and staindgrey staindgrey are both around and willing, expect to see these AMAs coming to a smashboards dot com near you shortly
Holy **** so this is what it feels like on the other end of things.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Accessibility. It is a RPG, but conceptually a more complex rock-paper-scissors which is a simple game to understand.
Charming, cute, and/or interesting designs. The art style and the art work appeals to both West and East, child and adult.
Fantastic marketing in its early days
Do you think I’d like it? I’be never actually played before in the grounds that it’s turn based

Iridium

Smash Hero
Jeez, ProtoBanham apparently was suffering from kidney stones while tearing it up at EVO. The guy's a legend at this game, even managed to look completely fine.

D

Deleted member

I have a lot of things to say and no one to say it to.

For some reason you people listen to me, so I talk. Probably for than I should.
Why would people not listen to you. You have interesting things to say.

D

Deleted member

I have a lot of things to say and no one to say it to.

For some reason you people listen to me, so I talk. Probably for than I should.
Hm. Makes sense
I wish you had a Twitter so I could introduce you to my other friends, they'd really like you, I bet

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Speaking of handheld RPGs making the upgrade to the Switch

Plz Nintendo: the reason the BIS remake bombed was cos the 3DS was on its death spiral and it was a pretty unnecessary remake, all things considered

Give us a Wario and Waluigi RPG, or one where we can cultivate a whole party like a more traditional RPG

I'm sure a new Mario & Luigi game is coming, it's just that they can't reuse the Dream Team engine anymore so it's gonna take longer

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Do you think I’d like it? I’be never actually played before in the grounds that it’s turn based
You must be the only young adult in a first-world country that hasn't played a single Pokemon game at this point
do you live under a rock or something

Last edited by a moderator:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
You must be the only young adult in a first-world country that hasn't played a single Pokemon game at this point
do you live under a rock or something
I’ve played Pokkén. Does that count? I just prefer more active methods of combat. I don’t feel like i’m Actually doing anything in them. I just feel like I’m telling the game what to do as it does everything for me. I might try SwSh. But I just don’t know if I can get over that and I don’t want to spend $60 on a game I won’t have fun with.

Klimax

Smash Ace
I feel almost the same, not quite that extremely tho
If you give too much importance to graphics, you'll just ignore a lot of major games. I have a friend who refuse to play older games because "it doesn't look HD", he ends up ignoring masterpieces like Super Metroid and playing a lot of **** like Uncharted 4 or Red Dead Redemption 2.

Would be like refusing to see Metropolis or Nosferatu because it's too old and watching Avengers instead.

That's what makes me say that technique is always a detail. It can help, but it doesn't make something great.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Speaking of handheld RPGs making the upgrade to the Switch

Plz Nintendo: the reason the BIS remake bombed was cos the 3DS was on its death spiral and it was a pretty unnecessary remake, all things considered

Give us a Wario and Waluigi RPG, or one where we can cultivate a whole party like a more traditional RPG

I'm sure a new Mario & Luigi game is coming, it's just that they can't reuse the Dream Team engine anymore so it's gonna take longer
I’m still gunning for a remake of Legend of the Seven Stars. That, a new Mario and Luigi game, and a Thousand Year Door remaster. I don’t like turn based RPGs. But the sheer amount of positivity those would generate would sustain this emotional vampire for generations.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I’ve played Pokkén. Does that count? I just prefer more active methods of combat. I don’t feel like i’m Actually doing anything in them. I just feel like I’m telling the game what to do as it does everything for me. I might try SwSh. But I just don’t know if I can get over that and I don’t want to spend $60 on a game I won’t have fun with.
1-Pokken doesn’t count
2-I mean, if you don’t like turned based battles then fine I guess. But Pokémon battles really don’t last that long. Like, Over a minute most of the time. So you won’t be spending an hour trying to pick the right move or something. The joy I find in Pokémon games come from the characters, the world building, and the story. If you like that I think you’ll have a good time.

Unless your hatred for turn based battles overrides any joy you may have. Then you probably won’t have a good time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom