• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Still don't get what those critics were saying about the film ("Too much monster action!" yet criticized G14 for lack of monster action and Godzilla. Its like they can't make up their mind...)...
Havent seen 2, but 2014 focused way too much on the humans and not even interesting ones. Was kinda boring at times.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just know just because a movie makes lot of money doesn't make it good and also gets negative reviews makes also lot of money. Look at the Bayformers films, Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey.

Jurassic World: The Fallen World (Which BTW I liked) also made a billion but was panned only doing good because kids love dinosaurs.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Still I'm saying its like they couldn't make up their mind. First G14 was criticized for lack of monster action and Godzilla then suddenly KotM with too much monster action? I'm not buying...

Plus before release advanced screenings was giving it positive reviews.
Every advanced screening gets positive reviews, they probably selectively choose critics that are more likely to give positive feedback.

"Critics" aren't an amorphous hivemind. I would recommend actually checking individual reviews between the two movies and compare and contrast. And just because they tried to address the criticisms of the previous movie doesn't mean it's going to necessarily be liked. It's all about execution.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Every advanced screening gets positive reviews, they probably selectively choose critics that are more likely to give positive feedback.

"Critics" aren't an amorphous hivemind. I would recommend actually checking individual reviews between the two movies and compare and contrast. And just because they tried to address the criticisms of the previous movie doesn't mean it's going to necessarily be liked. It's all about execution.
Fair point. That said complaining isn't gonna change a thing. All I can hope is Godzilla vs. Kong doing better especially given as said there's hope for the franchise as I shown on one of my previous posts.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Still don't get what those critics were saying about the film ("Too much monster action!" yet criticized G14 for lack of monster action and Godzilla. Its like they can't make up their mind...)...

I'm convinced these critics were paid to give it those reviews. Yes I'm a believer of that conspiracy.
I'll defend KotM to the end of days, but I'm pretty sure if critics were getting paid off to pan it for the sake of movies like Lion King or Aladdin, they also wouldn't have gotten the amount of mediocre to scathing reviews that they themselves did.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll defend KotM to the end of days, but I'm pretty sure if critics were getting paid off to pan it for the sake of movies like Lion King or Aladdin, they also wouldn't have gotten the amount of mediocre to scathing reviews that they themselves did.
Only reason those did so well to begin with was due to Disney nostalgia and the titles drawing people in not realizing they were just soulless re-skins of the originals cashing in on people's nostalgia. If they weren't labelled as Disney nor weren't called those they wouldn't had been the hits they were.

Power of Disney apparently overcomes critic reviews like on Rotten Tomatoes!

There's also no point in them because they already exist in the form of the animated classics and if people wants to watch the movies they can just watch those.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Since we're on the topic, I think Detective Pikachu deserved better reviews. I feel like many of the adult critics who watched it didn't know a thing about Pokemon, and that may have hurt the scores a bit.

Not saying it was an "A+" movie, but it definitely earned a score somewhere between the 70s and 80s instead of the 50s and 60s.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Since we're on the topic, I think Detective Pikachu deserved better reviews. I feel like many of the adult critics who watched it didn't know a thing about Pokemon, and that may have hurt the scores a bit.

Not saying it was an "A+" movie, but it definitely earned a score somewhere between the 70s and 80s instead of the 50s and 60s.
I definitely agree. Detective Pikachu was a film I regretted not seeing in theaters and since I didn't a while ago did a commentary on it and for what it was. It was a very fun film. I liked the slow buildup that was necessary given it was a detective film that eventually lead to a satisfying pay-off and climax.

It would had done much better if not for Endgame fatigue. Shazam! and Godzilla 2 most notably were other films affected by it as well. I pretty much consider these three movies to be the Unholy Trinity of 2019 that deserved better with Missing Link being an honorable mention.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dunno, but this whole "critics are paid by Disney" is silly when Aladdin and TLK are rotten. (Edit)

In reality I would say that everything right now is the result of how well Disney and its subsidaries have established themselves as a brand.

(Plus, one of the reasons they keep doing this is that a lot of the smaller projects they make fail like A Wrinkle in Time)

Last edited by a moderator:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Dunno, but this whole "critics are paid by Disney" is silly when Aladdin is barely fresh and TLK is rotten.

In reality I would say that everything right now is the result of how well Disney and its subsidaries have established themselves as a brand.

(Plus, one of the reasons they keep doing this is that a lot of the smaller projects they make fail like A Wrinkle in Time)
That's the power of Disney nostalgia y'all!!!!

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Aladdin was a huge hit with audiences though. It stayed in the top 5 until August or so. That’s basically unheard of for a summer blockbuster nowadays.

Having actually seen the movie, I get why. It’s actually a very fun movie that does enough to differentiate itself from the original while still tickling the audience’s nostalgia.

Lion King though yeah that’s just a 1:1 remake.

D

Deleted member

Aladdin was a huge hit with audiences though. It stayed in the top 5 until August or so. That’s basically unheard of for a summer blockbuster nowadays.

Having actually seen the movie, I get why. It’s actually a very fun movie that does enough to differentiate itself from the original while still tickling the audience’s nostalgia.

Lion King though yeah that’s just a 1:1 remake.
Lion King, (from what I have heard) is just the original movie with a decent coat of new paint and 90% less charm.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'll look on the positive side of things however. Movies I've generally loved or like this year that did well or so far are

Crawl
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
Hobbs & Shaw
Spider-Man: Far From Home (Though it was kinda obvious anyways)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Disney has had some pretty hilarious failures too.

There's A Wrinkle in Time like you said, then there's Tomorrowland, which lost Disney about $140 million.

But nothing can compare to Mars Needs Moms. Cost $150 million to make (not including money for advertising), only raked in a measly $39 million.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I confess the reason I'm highly defensive of KotM is due to due to my bias and love for Godzilla. I'm a huge fanboy.

Ugh **** me I've been letting myself go again...Sorry guys...-_- Guess I haven't improved as much as I had hoped.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As much as everyone sees Disney as this big corporate thing that only wants money, let’s appreciate the people at Disney who do care. I got to meet the VAs of Goofy, Pluto, and Mickey. All of them are awesome and passionate about what they do.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Yeah, being awake to see this while being ready for work in the morning sounds highly unlikely to me.

Not really worth it.
I'm staying up again, but I don't know when this will finish, only because most of top 8 (except WF/LF/GFs) is BO3 still. At least a slight delay is the worst that could happen, not the thousand ad breaks I had to see yesterday.

Doubtful of anything extra and Smash related, seems too early to expect news. It hasn't even been a week since Hero released.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Given were almost half way through the year. My prediction on the top 10 grossing films this year.

1. Avengers: Endgame
2. Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
3. Frozen 2
4. The Lion King
5. Spider-Man: Far From Home
6. Captain Marvel
7. Aladdin
8. Toy Story 4
9. Hobbs & Shaw
10. How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World

Agree or disagree?

Last edited:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

On RT, it's in the upper 60s of 67%, it's Metacritic that has a 53 on it.

That said, RT tend to be the one people use for reviews when it comes to movies, so take that as you will.

StormC

Smash Hero
A movie doesn’t really “deserve” a higher or lower score on RT. It’s an aggregate of how many people recommended the movie, not a score.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
It's funny, when people see a movie or game that they don't like get good reviews, they say "PAID REVIEWS, DON'T LISTEN TO THEM"

When it's a movie or game they want to see or get, and it gets bad reviews, it's "SJWS! THEY CAN'T SEE ART! GRRRRR!"

With that said, there have been some highly questionable reviews that makes me question how they were selected to do the review.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
2020: Bloodshot, Godzilla vs. Kong, Fast & Furious 9, Wonder Woman 1984
2021: Mortal Kombat, Fast & Furious 10, Jurassic World 3, Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, The Suicide Squad (Due to Gunn directing)
2022: Supposedly Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3

Yup I can say I got myself covered for my most anticipated films for the next two years.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
recall a previous post of mine

and realise this gets much much worse
Man, I played this game for like 30~ hours as of now, and I care sooooo much for all the students I have, plus Dimitri & a couple of others, when **** is going to happen to them, my heart is going to broke for sure.

Like I don't remember feeling this way with Awakening or Fates, and that's a good sign I say, IS & Koei Tecmo did a wonderful job. ('cuz yeah, if you didn't know, Koei Tecmo helped IS alot on this game)

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Power of Disney apparently overcomes critic reviews like on Rotten Tomatoes!
Some people don't care about reviews. I only ever check them out if I'm on the fence about a game or movie. Otherwise, I live it up to trailers to convince me to go see a movie or not.

That said I went to a couple live action remakes because my sisters dragged me (Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin) and the former was okay (didn't like the CG characters though), and the latter really screwed up the pacing of the original. It also added some unnecessary stuff such as a giant chase scene near the end that ended up meaning nothing.
As much as everyone sees Disney as this big corporate thing that only wants money, let’s appreciate the people at Disney who do care. I got to meet the VAs of Goofy, Pluto, and Mickey. All of them are awesome and passionate about what they do.
I think that's something people struggle to understand about companies. They aren't huge hive minds, they're organizations with a plethora of different people in them.

The people screwing with copyright laws are different from the writers, VAs and animators who make the movies.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
While on Detective Pikachu, I wonder if Legendary Pictures is still going forth with their promise on working on a sequel (they announced such 4 months before the film even came out)
But with Ryan Reynalds no longer in the body of Pikachu, I'm struggling with what they plan to do.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
While on Detective Pikachu, I wonder if Legendary Pictures is still going forth with their promise on working on a sequel (they announced such 4 months before the film even came out)
But with Ryan Reynalds no longer in the body of Pikachu, I'm struggling with what they plan to do.
Yeah its ending honestly makes me feel its better being one of those standalone films although I'm not against the idea of a sequel given its potential given its premise with crime solving.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think it'll be more of a spiritual sequel or spin-off? They laid a lot of ground work for a more traditional Pokemon movie, but they could also try to do some of the other spin-offs as movie types as well.

Once you dip your toe into live action Pokemon like that? I doubt you ever get out of the water.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Also, just because a movie is Disney, doesn't mean it's gonna get rave reviews and ratings. Remember Mars Meets Moms? A movie that completely KILLED a new genre of animation? How about John Carter? That movie was supposed to be a whole franchise, but it did so bad that it cancelled completely.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's not just a sequel to DP they're considering. They were even discussing a spinoff movie focusing on Mewtwo and a possible Red/Blue live-action movie.

It should go without saying that they have more plans for Pokemon.

But regarding a DP sequel making sense, I think they can do it. I'm sure they can pull up some random plot point that wouldn't feel too forced.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Also, just because a movie is Disney, doesn't mean it's gonna get rave reviews and ratings. Remember Mars Meets Moms? A movie that completely KILLED a new genre of animation? How about John Carter? That movie was supposed to be a whole franchise, but it did so bad that it cancelled completely.
But Mighty that's obviously because it wasn't a nostalgic remake of any of the 90's classics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom