• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
That just feels...

Wrong.
Kids and the older generation are obviously blinded by the nostalgia of Disney and its 90's renaissance. That's why this and Aladdin did so well only. If they were weren't called those and had Disney labelled on them they never would had been hits to begin with.

I despise these live-action remakes. They're lifeless and soulless re-skin cash grabs of the animated classics they're trying to cash in on people's nostalgia. Unfortunately at this rate given how successful these were we'll definitely be expecting more...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
On the other hand though.

Hobbs & Shaw just made over 180 million WW currently and the weekend isn't even over! Hell yeah!!!! Definitely gonna be a billion dollar hit or at least close for sure! :grin:

StormC

Smash Hero
The Aladdin remake was genuinely really fun. I enjoyed it more than Toy Story 4.

On the other hand though.

Hobbs & Shaw just made over 180 million WW currently and the weekend isn't even over! Hell yeah!!!! Definitely gonna be a billion dollar hit or at least close for sure! :grin:
Billion will depend on China, I can see it making "only" 700-800.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty sure Banjo is coming out sometime in October because the little pop-up scrolling text that talks about Hero on the main menu expires on September 30th @ 11:59 PM
Before you say "what about November", I think November is considered "holiday" from a business perspective, since Smash Wii U released in a November but it's tentative date was Holiday
you're welcome

Last edited by a moderator:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm pretty sure Banjo is coming out sometime in October because the little pop-up scrolling text that talks about Hero on the main menu expires on September 30th @ 11:59 PM
Before you say "what about November", I think November is considered "holiday" from a business perspective, since Smash Wii U released in a November but it's tentative date was Holiday
you're welcome
October 11th

Banjo birthday present let’s gooooooo

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
The Aladdin remake was genuinely really fun. I enjoyed it more than Toy Story 4.

Billion will depend on China, I can see it making "only" 700-800.
Its Fast and the Furious tho. The last two films made one billion and its starring The Rock which is an easy money grabber and star power as well given his popularity.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
For what it's worth 2020 looks like a quiet year for Disney, their only big movies are like, Black Widow and Mulan. It's just that they put basically all of their eggs into the 2019 basket. They had a few flops this year as well with Dumbo and Dark Phoenix (technically still under Fox).

WB was really smart to push Wonder Woman 84 back, it would get squished between Frozen 2 and Skywalker.

Its Fast and the Furious tho. The last two films made one billion and its starring The Rock which is an easy money grabber and star power as well given his popularity.
This is a spin-off without the whole cast and the international numbers so far are below the previous movies.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
This is a spin-off without the whole cast and the international numbers so far are below the previous movies.
Still starring The Rock tho. Not too out of the question to hit a billion if you ask me not saying it will but its not impossible.

Just don't underestimate his popularity is all I'm saying.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Toy Story 4 was a bit underwhelming for me, given the high standards the franchise has.

Still enjoyed it, but it felt like it was kinda missing the magic and charm of the other three.

The weakest of the four imo, but still pretty good all things considered.

In case you're wondering, my rankings are pretty much 2 > 1 > 3 > 4

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Can’t wait for 20 years from now where I’ll go to work at my Disneytm office in my Disneytm Car after dropping my Disneytm kids off at Disneytm School.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For what it's worth 2020 looks like a quiet year for Disney, their only big movies are like, Black Widow and Mulan. It's just that they put basically all of their eggs into the 2019 basket. They had a few flops this year as well with Dumbo and Dark Phoenix (technically still under Fox).
well...
Disney + tho

D

Deleted member

I did a bit of coding.

A tiny bit of coding.

And suddenly a feel like this.
1564943679320.jpeg

D

Deleted member

The Disney domination will continue as long as other studios fail to put out movies as appealing as theirs.
Wow, at this point the mouse has enough money to finally free Walt Disney from his cryosleep.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormC

Smash Hero
well...
Disney + tho
That's going to be big, yeah, but I mean strictly in terms of the box office.

Toy Story 4 was a bit underwhelming for me, given the high standards the franchise has.

Still enjoyed it, but it felt like it was kinda missing the magic and charm of the other three.

It was my least favorite as well. It's good but I didn't really like how they characterized Buzz as an idiot who needs to listen to an "inner voice" and how most of the toys sat in an RV for the whole movie. When I watched the movie I just couldn't really shake that it felt so unnecessary.

D

Deleted member

Code: made it
Thirst for knowledge: sated
Big brain: activated
I feel you just put my thoughts into words in a poetic fashion not even I can achieve.

Except I can.

‘Cause I’m a big brain gamer.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Meanwhile without an massive event like Endgame getting in the way (Which also hurt other movies chances like Shazam! and Detective Pikachu) Godzilla vs. Kong will hopefully do better which I think it will. It also helps that Legendary is taking precautions this time as the 5 year gap, critic reviews (What were they even on?), marketing (Releasing the trailer almost a year before release) also had hurt it.

https://twitter.com/OMEGAGORMARU/status/1152437361655070721?s=19

http://www.godzilla-movies.com/news...la-2-king-the-monsters-box-office-performance

There is hope after all for the MonsterVerse.

Yes it had competition but what movie doesn't? There's always going to be competition no matter where a movie is released. I blamed this mostly on Endgame fatigue otherwise KotM could had done better.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Doesn’t live up to the original trilogy, honestly, but still is a great time nonetheless.

StormC

Smash Hero
I blamed this mostly on Endgame fatigue otherwise KotM could had done better.
Well, Aladdin came out right before Godzilla and made a ton of dough. Cinemascore was weak too (B+ is mediocre for a blockbuster).

I haven't seen Godzilla but the reception among general audiences definitely seemed mixed. Not sure it would have done well no matter when it played.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
That's going to be big, yeah, but I mean strictly in terms of the box office.

It was my least favorite as well. It's good but I didn't really like how they characterized Buzz as an idiot who needs to listen to an "inner voice" and how most of the toys sat in an RV for the whole movie. When I watched the movie I just couldn't really shake that it felt so unnecessary.
Yup, same here.
I also really wasn't a fan of how they had Woody being pretty much ignored by Bonnie, when her attachment to him was a major focus of 3's climax and what made it so strong.

It made this film's "tear jerker" ending feel a lot more forced and sorta unwarranted.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well, Aladdin came out right before Godzilla and made a ton of dough. Cinemascore was weak too (B+ is mediocre for a blockbuster).
Doesn't explain why Beauty and the Beast didn't do the same to Kong: Skull Island along with Maleficent (Given her popularity as most popular Disney villain) with G14.

There's always going to be competition no matter what whether big or not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yup, same here.
I also really wasn't a fan of how they had Woody being pretty much ignored by Bonnie, when her attachment to him was a major focus of 3's climax and what made it so strong.

It made this film's "tear jerker" ending feel a lot more forced and sorta unwarranted.
For sure an issue. It makes Toy Story 3’s emotional ending more or less pointless.

StormC

Smash Hero
Doesn't explain why Beauty and the Beast didn't do the same to Kong: Skull Island along with Maleficent (Given her popularity as most popular Disney villain) with G14.

There's always going to be competition no matter what whether big or not.
Godzilla 14's legs cratered after opening weekend, but that had to do with word of mouth more than anything. Kong did do well, though, I'll give you that.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Call this unpopular but I'm certain Toy Story 4 was only made as fan service and an apology to WoodyxBo Peep shippers for her absence in 3 which there was backlash especially given

Woody leaves the gang to be with her and stay at the carnival ruining IMO a once perfect ending to a great trilogy but Pixar then gave in to the WoodyxBo Peep shippers who couldn't accept the fact their OTP not being canon anymore.

Last edited:

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
smash top 8 is happening at 10 PM EST, assuming nothing runs late, which never happens. I'd say 2-3 AM EST is a good estimate of when it would end.
Yeah, being awake to see this while being ready for work in the morning sounds highly unlikely to me.

Not really worth it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Godzilla 14's legs cratered after opening weekend, but that had to do with word of mouth more than anything. Kong did do well, though, I'll give you that.
Still don't get what those critics were saying about the film ("Too much monster action!" yet criticized G14 for lack of monster action and Godzilla. Its like they can't make up their mind...)...

I'm convinced these critics were paid to give it those reviews. Yes I'm a believer of that conspiracy.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I didn't really like Toy Story 4 as much as the other three. I feel like the writers were torn between two plots and ended up compromising, making a really weird hodgepodge movie.

It also doesn't help that the main villain is another self-loathing character, something that we get plenty of today. One of my favorite aspects about the Toy Story series is how selfish and uncaring the villains were. It made it easier to root for the heroes. With Gabby Gabby, you don't really know if you should hate her or feel sorry for her. One minute she's threatening to rip Woody apart, the next she's getting all emotional because a kid doesn't want her.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Okay man, whatever you say. Seems like neither audiences or critics took a shine to it.
Still I'm saying its like they couldn't make up their mind. First G14 was criticized for lack of monster action and Godzilla then suddenly KotM with too much monster action? I'm not buying...

Plus before release advanced screenings was giving it positive reviews.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom