• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
“Hey Square, let’s bring back the Chocobo and Geno costumes so -“

“DRAGON QUEST. ONLY DRAGON QUEST.”

“But last time -“

“WE ONLY DO DRAGON QUEST NOW!”

“I...okay, fine, can 3 and 4 have their female alts at least - “

“They have female alts?”

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
You’d be able to obtain all the Smash DLC characters for free, and be able to play online for life, well maybe. It would also teach you how to work and strive as hard as Sakurai, but not too hard. I would be concerned about his health as well, especially since he was hospitalized during the creation of Melee. Don’t forget to wish him a happy birthday as well.
It's very different being the kid of someone who creates content with worldwide acclaim than what is typical. I recall Steve Mayles joking that when they announced King K Rool, his kids response was being shocked... that they nerfed a weapon in Fortnite. :rotfl:

Shroob

Sup?
Well, as far as EVO hopes goes that isnt MVC4, I hope BlazBlue Croos Tag Battle brings in a series that will catch ky interest a little bit more than already present series that aren't Under Night or Persona.
........No one tell him about the 99% confirmed leak.

download.jpg

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Aaaaaand Voldo takes it. Though I was gonna root for the USA. Hope I see some Siegfried matches soon on Youtube or something.

EDIT: The chick who got in top 8 wearing a whole ass gi shirt/kimono looking thing. Everyone else just in their E-SPORTS Shirt.

Glad America got 2nd at least.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Well what it shows me is Nintendo has only shown interest in Geno at presumably Sakurai's behest. So that makes me think Sakurai cares about Geno, or at least the Geno fans. Some references (which assuredly aren't made from the higher-ups who actually create/greenlight projects) are nice, but a company demonstrates they care about a property when they invest capital into it.

And it's not like F-Zero or Advance Wars or something, where they may care but just be unconvinced the product with perform well enough. If you throw Geno in a Mario game, it's still a Mario game. It'll be fine.

And maybe there have been actions made behind the scenes to which we aren't privy that prove otherwise, but in absence of proof, it seems like the people who care about Geno are limited either to Sakurai or those who aren't in a position to call the shots.
Alright then, that’s fair.

I hope this means we’re getting Banjo-Kazooie games on Switch, assuming they invested more than just Smash negotiations.

garfield for smash
He should already be in Smash, honestly.

Noipoi

Howdy!
My heart of hearts wants to believe we’ll get something Smash related at evo. We got a direct announcement last year.

But yeah, not happening.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

“But last time -“

“They have female alts?”
When j was walking the presentation for Hero and saw the music selection. The thought legit crossed my mind that they had to license each referenced Dragon Quest game individually.

They have Final Fantasy AND Dragon Quest in Smash now. I wonder if they’d be okay with doing Geno now.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
When j was walking the presentation for Hero and saw the music selection. The thought legit crossed my mind that they had to license each referenced Dragon Quest game individually.

They have Final Fantasy ABD Dragon Quest in Smash now. I wonder if they’d be okay with doing Geno now.
They did.

Each Hero got 2 songs per their game, meaning DQ3 got 2 songs, DQ4, etc.

It's really ****ing weird rule that Square franchises are only allowed 2 songs for some ****ing reason, and the only reason we cheated the system is because he gave us effectively 4 characters.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
They did.

It's really ****ing weird rule that Square franchises are only allowed 2 songs for some ****ing reason, and the only reason we cheated the system is because he gave us effectively 4 characters.
SMH gotta add a Zack Echo/Costume just to get ported music from Crisis Core.

Evil Ryu Mad.jpg

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They did.

Well. At least Mario RPG would really only need two songs to begin with. Geno doesn’t even need a stage.

Seriously. He’d be this perfect little extra cherry on top of the Fighter pass cake.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
That's implying that Sakurai would have no choice in the matter though.

Remember, he flat out admitted that if he were forced to use Pac Man's modern design, Pac Man wouldn't have even gotten into 4 at all.
I know, that's what I said, Sakurai could end up in situation where its either a Tales character that isn't Lloyd or Yuri or no Tales character at all, it would then depend on which Sakurai would rather do. Remember, he originally considered Terra or Bartz instead of Cloud but went with Cloud due to popularity, this could be a similar case where he just decides to go with having a Tales character over none at all, hypothetically of course.

“But last time -“

“They have female alts?”
It pretty much killed my hype when I saw that 3 and 4 didn't have their female alts..DQ4's female is my fav Hero in the Dragon Quest series..

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I know, that's what I said, Sakurai could end up in situation where its either a Tales character that isn't Lloyd or Yuri or no Tales character at all, it would then depend on which Sakurai would rather do. Remember, he originally considered Terra or Bartz instead of Cloud but went with Cloud due to popularity, this could be a similar case where he just decides to go with having a Tales character over none at all, hypothetically of course.

It pretty much killed my hype when I saw that 3 and 4 didn't have their female alts..DQ4's female is my fav Hero in the Dragon Quest series..
Just looked up Bartz..... I don’t know how to feel about that design.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Check the super Mario rpg video. It might be buried in there.
DYKG doesn't feel like linking to their sources, which is always fun. But I found it.

https://the-eye.eu/public/Books/retrowith.in/Retro Gamer Book of Mario.pdf
Page 71.

“I only found out about Geno’s popularity later, so I got him to make a reappearance in Superstar Saga [laughs]. I wish I knew why he’s so popular!” - Chihiro Fujioka, SMRPG director.

Regardless, it does beg the question as to why it's been sixteen years since they put him in a Mario game. Either Square is asking too much, or Nintendo just doesn't care. Neither really prevents him showing up in Smash, given I assume they afford Sakurai a very nice budget far in excess of the Mario RPGs, but I still think his priorities are elsewhere.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
DYKG doesn't feel like linking to their sources, which is always fun. But I found it.

https://the-eye.eu/public/Books/retrowith.in/Retro Gamer Book of Mario.pdf
Page 71.

“I only found out about Geno’s popularity later, so I got him to make a reappearance in Superstar Saga [laughs]. I wish I knew why he’s so popular!” - Chihiro Fujioka, SMRPG director.

Regardless, it does beg the question as to why it's been sixteen years since they put him in a Mario game. Either Square is asking too much, or Nintendo just doesn't care. Neither really prevents him showing up in Smash, given I assume they afford Sakurai a very nice budget far in excess of the Mario RPGs, but I still think his priorities are elsewhere.
And in the distance, a faint whisper sounded
Bonus Character

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don’t think Nintendo doesn’t really care, though, since they still acknowledged him and the game not too long ago, and bothered to work with Square to put it on the SNES Classic. They at least seem to care about the fans and want to please them.

Which reminds me. If y’all want more SMRPG, Geno, Mallow, Boshi and whoever, follow Operation StarFall on twitter and go to their website~

StormC

Smash Hero
Well, cell service is back at least. Was really pissed driving home because the nearby houses have power back but not my neighborhood. Got my hopes up for a second.

4000 people left without power for the whole night, geez.

Striga

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Dragon Quest, I'm making my way through the IV. I'm about to head into the Crypt.

GhostM

Phantom
Well, cell service is back at least. Was really pissed driving home because the nearby houses have power back but not my neighborhood. Got my hopes up for a second.

That’s an awful situation to be in. Take care for now, because it’ll take a little while for the power to resume back to normal. Worst case scenario it’ll take longer.

StormC

Smash Hero
I could see Sakurai trying to get Geno onto a base roster if character inclusion wasn’t so limited, but I think his selling potential as DLC is too limited for them to go that route. He’d be strictly for the hardcore Smash fans and nobody else. Even Banjo is more recognizable and has a better chance of bringing in new fans than Geno.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

did lightning strike a main power line or something

unless someone crashed into it thats the only thing that could happen

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
He actually states that Cloud was always the go-to option. When he was talking about going to Nomura for the request, he mentioned that of the FF character requests Cloud had the largest amount, and that's what prompted him to ask in the first place.

Sakurai: This isn’t an exact number, but among the requests for a Final Fantasy character to appear in Smash, around ¼ to ⅓ of the requests we got from fans were for Cloud. [TN1] I really wanted to answer the desires of those fans, and even though I thought it would be impossible, I reached out anyway, just to try.
He does list those two as potential options he could've went with, but since he quickly states that some wouldn't know who they were it sounds more like they were examples that were discarded then serious contenders for Cloud's position.

Personally, I don't have too much of a stake in the Tales debate so I don't mind which of the three we get, but I will say that if Cloud is any indication he'd go for Lloyd or Yuri since those two would be the most popular requests that he'd seek to fill.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
did lightning strike a main power line or something

unless someone crashed into it thats the only thing that could happen
Fire from what I hear. They just sent out a call saying they have no more updates and the local airport canceled all their morning flights.

Playing RE4 in the meantime on Switch, feels fitting in pitch black darkness.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
here is baby
Thanks alot man.^^

btw, just made a small edit so that there is no background, you're OK with this?

a emote erdrick.png

Also, good morning everyone.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I could see Sakurai trying to get Geno onto a base roster if character inclusion wasn’t so limited, but I think his selling potential as DLC is too limited for them to go that route. He’d be strictly for the hardcore Smash fans and nobody else. Even Banjo is more recognizable and has a better chance of bringing in new fans than Geno.
I don’t know.

I’m a relatively new Geno fan myself (became one within this speculation cycle after or during late August last year, my liking for Geno starting with just his design) and I can see him selling just because of cool moves and being a Mario character with a sick design.

yes I know this is subjective and probably wouldn’t work out. There are people outside of the Smash fandom that like him, though...maybe he could be a bonus....

meh oh well, I don’t want to start a long Geno debate like what has happened before...maybe I’m too optimistic at times...

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
And in the distance, a faint whisper sounded
Bonus Character

I suspect Square becomes even harder to work with when convincing them to go against their MO, which is to make their crossover content DLC. I don't doubt getting Cloud just as he was may have been like pulling teeth.

Unfortunately Geno does make a lot more sense as a base inclusion, DLC would be a much harder sell for everyone but us (Nintendo execs included).

StormC

Smash Hero
That’s the thing, this is on Nintendo’s dime. They would have to be convinced licensing out Geno is worth it to sell as DLC over so many other characters. I just see them not caring enough.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That’s the thing, this is on Nintendo’s dime. They would have to be convinced licensing out Geno is worth it to sell as DLC over so many other characters. I just see them not caring enough.
nah i see square caring less

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Simple, if it was what Namco Bandai wanted to do and promote, they'd do that..like say Sakurai wanted a Tales character and asked for Lloyd or Yuri, but Namco said 'nah' and offered up Velvet (maybe to promote a port or something? I dunno). It would than be in Sakurai's court of either having a Tales Rep with Velvet or choosing another series/character entirely.
If that happened, I'd think Sakurai/Nintendo would decline and just see about negotiations for whatever the next character on their priority list is.

But that's an unlikely situation as is regardless.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Exactly. If I were a Nintendo executive, impartial to characters and just looking for them to sell and perhaps bring in new players, I'd really be incredulous over choosing one with not only a very limited audience, but largely the same audience that was already targeted with Banjo (who also has a wider degree of recognition than Geno) with most of whom going to buy whoever gets chosen anyway.

It's quite the hard sell, without even factoring in that Square does not appear to be cheap or easy to collaborate with. Especially when you're working from a place where you have the resources and reputation to acquire probably whoever you want (short of Sony).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom