• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
That'd be great, but why would Nintendo offer another free character? What do they have to gain from that which would be worth more than charging?
In any 'free character' scenario I always see it being tied to something like Nintendo Switch online subscriptions, and the character is an appealing one to try entice more people to buy into it. Because why improve the service when you can just include piecemeal DLC content for random games? We won't give you actual servers to play on but you'll get Geno for free*! Doesn't that make you want to buy a subscription?
*With a paid Nintendo Switch online account. Character is only accessible during your paid subscription. Available to purchase separately at $4.99 USD. Excessive exposure to Nintendo Switch Online may cause premature balding, rashes or death. Nintendo is not responsible for any harm that comes as a result of using Nintendo Switch Online.

Still, the way Sakurai picked a freaking plant for the early purchase bonus makes me think he deliberately wanted to avoid trying to put appealing characters as a free offer, the same way he recommended people NOT buy the Fighter's Pass unless they were absolutely sure they'd want it. He'd rather not pressure people into it. Between that, the difficulty of working with Square Enix and the unlikelihood of another non-Fighter Pass character and Geno doesn't seem to have much of a chance.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So uh... may be late on this, but did you guys hear of the latest Funimation controversy? They translated one word into... a not so very nice word, and now people are either happy or pissed.

NSFW warning (maybe)
they translated loli to pedo.

If this isn't appropiate for the board, just delete it.

D

Deleted member

So uh... may be late on this, but did you guys hear of the latest Funimation controversy? They translated one word into... a not so very nice word, and now people are either happy or pissed.

NSFW warning (maybe)

How do you even mess that up

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
For Community Day today on Pokemon Go, Ralts is going to show up in more abundancy. I intend to catch as many as possible to get a Gardevoir of the highest quality.

So, because of this, have some fanart to celebrate the occasion.

Edit: Or not. .-.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Actually, the translation of loli is pretty much the definition of pedo, to they're actually correct
its actually the word lolicon that they translated to “pedo”. Since it comes from the term “Lolita complex”

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

it was the word lolicon and
well I mean, they aint wrong

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
1920's/30's music is surprisingly soothing. I could sleep to this.
I like stories that use music from the 1920’s up to the 1950’s for atmosphere. It’s why I really got into Fallout and am interested in Obsidian’s space-themed game with a similar aesthetic, the Outer Worlds.

I guess it comes down to mixing vintage aesthetic with post apocalyptic or sci-fi based settings but I just. Really like that

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Holy ****, hours have pass and I didn't even realize.

Three Houses is truly going to be the second JRPG that is going to stole most of my free time.:4alph:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208

NSFW warning (maybe)

And here I thought people wanted accurate translations. :p

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
What are the pros and cons of FE 3 Houses?
cons
- somewhat clunky class system that demands planning extremely early on to get the most use out of, with several staple FE classes being absent and several more being annoyingly gender-locked for no reason
- repetitive pre-timeskip period that remains the same for all routes

pros
- literally everything else

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Pros:
- Arguably the best worldbuilding in the franchise
- Story takes a lot of cues from Genealogy of the Holy War
- Incredibly well-written characters, including some of the best written main Lords in the franchise.
- Actual moral ambiguity.
- Killer soundtrack.
- Genealogy-style forging.
- Top quality English voice acting.
- I've been playing the Edelgard route but if the others are anything like it, the maps are very fun.
- Battalions are really neat.
- Incredibly beginner friendly but also challenging depending on the difficulty.

Cons:
- Characters exclusive to other routes won't let you give back their lost items why is this a thing I don't want your perfume Hilda.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Still, the way Sakurai picked a freaking plant for the early purchase bonus makes me think he deliberately wanted to avoid trying to put appealing characters as a free offer, the same way he recommended people NOT buy the Fighter's Pass unless they were absolutely sure they'd want it. He'd rather not pressure people into it. Between that, the difficulty of working with Square Enix and the unlikelihood of another non-Fighter Pass character and Geno doesn't seem to have much of a chance.
I think another reason why PP got in is because Mario didn't technically get a real newcomer this time round.

Needless to say, but Mario has a wide appeal, so adding a Mario rep as the free character was a good decision. Even if PP wasn't requested, it's a character who almost everyone can identify, so that means more people will be able to appreciate it.

Last edited:

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Pros:
- Arguably the best worldbuilding in the franchise
- Story takes a lot of cues from Genealogy of the Holy War
- Incredibly well-written characters, including some of the best written main Lords in the franchise.
- Actual moral ambiguity.
- Killer soundtrack.
- Genealogy-style forging.
- Top quality English voice acting.
- I've been playing the Edelgard route but if the others are anything like it, the maps are very fun.
- Battalions are really neat.
- Incredibly beginner friendly but also challenging depending on the difficulty.

Cons:
- Characters exclusive to other routes won't let you give back their lost items why is this a thing I don't want your perfume Hilda.
Really? I remember giving a lost item to Hilda, is that a glitch or somethin'?

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
It's route-dependent.
Because you can't recruit Hilda if you side with Edelgard, she won't accept her lost items
Hilda isn't recruitable in the black eagles route so you can't give her lost items

but for us blue lions chads she's recruitable and will take lost items
Ohhhh, OK.

Like BlueMonk said, It's a win for the Blue Lions then.:grin:

:lol:

But yeah, it does stink quit a bit, hope it get fix.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
What's the first one?
Funny you say ask that, 'cuz the game where your avi come from is where I lost ALOT of time.:lick:

XB2 is great mind you, but good lord, for a time, it was a time eating monster, and now, 3H is looking like to be the next monster.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
There are some aspects of it that feel rushed/empty: a couple reveals pre-time skip, the general nature of the skip, and in the post-skip calendar, just based from my own BE playthrough.

However the characters, world, battles, and story are all very strong compared to the past few installments of FE in my opinion. Good soundtrack as always. And the professor aspect is for the most part pretty enjoyable.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Funny you say ask that, 'cuz the game where your avi come from is where I lost ALOT of time.:lick:

XB2 is great mind you, but good lord, for a time, it was a time eating monster, and now, 3H is looking like to be the next monster.
Haha yeah, I've invested about 250+ hours in Xenoblade 2 since its launch so I definitely know that feeling all too well. Three Houses has my interest but I'm not sure if I'm ready to make such a huge time commitment yet lol.

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up
Anyone here watching Evo right now? I've been watching the pool matches for DBFZ.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Haha yeah, I've invested about 250+ hours in Xenoblade 2 since its launch so I definitely know that feeling all too well. Three Houses has my interest but I'm not sure if I'm ready to make such a huge time commitment yet lol.
I got 600+ hours on XB2 (man, I been saying this alot lately) so I know that feeling pretty well lol. Don't take 3H right now if you don't think you have alot of time on your hand, 'cuz once you enter the pit (no, not that one, or the darker one), you won't escape it any time soon.:ultolimar:

NabiscoFelt

Smash Journeyman
If you're a veteran SRPG or FE player, I've heard TH is a bit too easy, even on hard, at least pre timeskip. Hasn't been the case for me (main maps are still fairly easy, but the paralogues have been generally more challenging) but that's potentially a con.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think another reason why PP got in is because Mario didn't technically get a real newcomer this time round.

Needless to say, but Mario has a wide appeal, so adding a Mario rep as the free character was a good decision. Even if PP wasn't requested, it's a character who almost everyone can identify, so that means more people will be able to appreciate it.
I recall when debating if a Pokemon newcomer would happen, people pointed out Pokemon always gets one--that even Mario technically didn't get one in Brawl (I personally consider Wario a Mario character, but Smash doesn't). So I could have seen Mario getting skipped if they didn't have an idea for a unique character, especially with Daisy at the least being an echo.

If only there was a heavily requested character from the Mario series they could have included, presumably one that was themed purple...

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Oh lol womp womp

but yeah, that is where it happend and oh man, I didnt know what was going on
Yeah, that's pretty much the moment where you realize just how crucial Battalions are. For me at that point, Byleth, Edelgard, and Hubert were the only ones able to do major damage to it while Ferdinand and Bernadetta did chip damage and Linhardt healed them (Petra and Caspar were of no help at all there). Even then I just got really lucky my first time around and had Bernie's crest activate and get a critical hit, killing it right before it might've killed Hubert.

But yeah, Battalions. They're important. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom