• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I feel like I should start over 3H on hard but I've already put a lot of hours into my current playthrough...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Happy Happy Cake Day Massive Hero Spooky Guy! Thank you and your team for creating such an amazing game and making dreams come true.
That'd be great, but why would Nintendo offer another free character? What do they have to gain from that which would be worth more than charging?

Besides the fact that I don't think Square would agree to offer a free character, I think they prefer DLC partly because it's easier to negotiate a backend cut of the profit. That part is just a guess though.
I honestly don't think Geno would be a "bonus character" as people mention. Mainly because I don't see SE or even Nintendo wanting to give a character like that away for free given the demand for Geno. Not to mention PP was an incentive for buyers to purchase the game early.

Of course that being said, Geno being individual DLC makes sense. There's an entire section listed on the DLC page for "Individual DLC" that I don't think would be there if PP was the only standalone DLC character. And now with his Mii Costume mysteriously absent, it only stands to reason why he would get in with like 2 tracks. Geno is the kind of character they would put in to satisfy the long-standing demand for his inclusion but can't warrant the resources needed for creating a stage (Sakurai mentions it's a pretty development-intensive thing to do so I get it). And really, I don't think Geno fans would care if he didn't come with a stage. The character himself is hype enough.

Also for what it's worth, the Smash site still has "NEW" for the stages tab so it doesn't look like Geno would be apart of the FP. Just the character and two tracks would suffice for him.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I recall when debating if a Pokemon newcomer would happen, people pointed out Pokemon always gets one--that even Mario technically didn't get one in Brawl (I personally consider Wario a Mario character, but Smash doesn't). So I could have seen Mario getting skipped if they didn't have an idea for a unique character, especially with Daisy at the least being an echo.

If only there was a heavily requested character from the Mario series they could have included, presumably one that was themed purple...

Vivian from Paper Mario
Dude. The heavily requested Mario series character was a certain wooden star man.

Seriously. I thought that PP’s trailer was for Geno at first and I wish I lived in the timeline where it was.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
Honestly non-Fighters Pass DLC feels like a pipe dream. When would it be released? What content would come with it? Yet I could still see it happening. Though I still think Geno is out of the question, a Pokemon could work well for this potential DLC.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know this is probably the last thing people want to hear from me, but I think Sakurai is better off sticking with modern Mario characters, even if they aren't highly requested.

I know Geno has been a popular character over the years, but I believe this is where fan demand should meet its limits. If you take his popularity away, you honestly don't have much to warrant adding Geno in Smash. He's not particularly important to the Mario series, he hasn't done squat since his debut, and he's a literal "who" compared to the gazillion Mario characters who pop up in games on a regular basis. You could argue he has moveset potential, but even then, couldn't you have said the same about Piranha Plant and most other generic Mario enemies?

For now, I just don't think Geno is the type of character who can fit into Smash well. Sakurai has acknowledged his popularity, which is a huge accomplishment by itself, but he can't add every character the fans are asking for. He has to set limits at some point.

Last edited:

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Honestly non-Fighters Pass DLC feels like a pipe dream. When would it be released? What content would come with it? Yet I could still see it happening. Though I still think Geno is out of the question, a Pokemon could work well for this potential DLC.
I would imagine it would be no different from the characters that released without a stage in Smash 4. I.e. The vets and Corrin.

I don't think "Individual DLC" would have it's own section on the DLC page if PP was the only character.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Ya know, Morgana reminds me of my own cat a lot. Both of them are chill but they can go bat**** at any given moment and kill you.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I know this is probably the last thing people want to hear from me, but I think Sakurai is better off sticking with modern Mario characters, even if they aren't highly requested.

I know Geno has been a popular character over the years, but I believe this is where fan demand should meet its limits. If you take his popularity away, you honestly don't have much to warrant adding Geno in Smash. He's not particularly important to the Mario series, he hasn't done squat since his debut, and he's a literal "who" compared to the gazillion Mario characters who pop up in games on a regular basis. You could argue he has moveset potential, but even then, couldn't you have said the same about Piranha Plant and most other generic Mario enemies?

For now, I just don't think Geno is the type of character who can fit into Smash well. Sakurai has acknowledged his popularity, which is a huge accomplishment by itself, but he can't add every character the fans are asking for. He has to set limits at some point.
This is what I've always thought. When you remove fan demand, a character like King K. Rool or Banjo Kazooie is still significant. That can't be said about Geno. Quite frankly, he'd stick out like a sore thumb among the other Mario characters.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Well, that’s already happened, hasn’t it? :ultpiranha:
Assuming you’re referring to another besides Piranha Plant, I’d imagine it would be something small like an echo fighter to promote a new game or something.

Alternis

Ignore the user in front of you
NNID
GeneralO
Switch FC
SW-1137-6792-9994
I would imagine it would be no different from the characters that released without a stage in Smash 4. I.e. The vets and Corrin.

I don't think "Individual DLC" would have it's own section on the DLC page if PP was the only character.
Well, that’s already happened, hasn’t it? :ultpiranha:
Assuming you’re referring to another besides Piranha Plant, I’d imagine it would be something small like an echo fighter to promote a new game or something.
It occurs to me that echoes would actually suit this role very well. Relatively easy to make, and easy to offer for cheap.

The DLC page of the site is interesting, but I cannot assume it implies anything. A bonus character remains wishful thinking imo.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893

This has always been my stance on the character. Besides a cool moveset, there isn’t much to him. He’s just another party member.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
Ya know, Morgana reminds me of my own cat a lot. Both of them are chill but they can go bat**** at any given moment and kill you.
Well, at least your cat doesn't enforce his/her sleeping schedule on you...

Or at least I hope they don't.

Striga

Smash Journeyman
Well, Polar Ace gave Captain Zack the boot for being a jerk:
This has been a really crappy year for the competitive scene for Smash.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
It's harder to get excited about Geno when he would come with two songs max.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Bonus content is one of those things that, while fun to think about and would be great, should still be seen as nothing more than a nice thought than anything likely. That just seems to me like something that Smash fans will come up with, only to disappoint themselves with later.

Geno is a character that I really do like. I like his design, his move set potential, and the music he could bring with him from SMRPG. However, I can also see why the parties involved with character selection (Sakurai, Nintendo, Square Enix) may not all agree to what is suggested. This isn’t a character like Cloud or Ryu we’re talking about.

The fan demand is there though. A few comments on my recent article got me thinking, because here we are spending countless hours arguing why characters “deserve” or have “earned” a spot in Smash, and narrowing it down to tried and true reason and...Sure, we can come up with plausible reasons for individual characters, but I think we’re going the wrong way if we try to place “every character has to fit X, Y, and Z to get into Smash”.

This stuff about Geno being an “old and irrelevant party member” sounds eerily similar to, “Lol they’ll never add random Mario enemies to Smash!”

I think there are guidelines Sakurai and the dev team follow with Smash. But characters can easily fit even if they don’t meet all, but just a combination. As it’s a video game, I think the most important part isn’t their relevance to the current status of series in 2019, otherwise K.Rool would have never been added.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Is this what it sounds like when I'm putting down characters from modern Fire Emblem and Pokemon games? Is this what it sounds like when I'm saying x characters should be cut because they aren't relevant or important to their series? If it is it hurts.... a lot.

But why can't he? The only reason he hasn't appeared more in the series is because he is owned by Square. It almost feels like he has engineered unimportant. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of people want him and that a lot of people have wanted him since the original game. Sure, he wasn't the most requested character back then, didn't even break the top 20. But he has always been there, and I'm sure Nintendo would have done more with him by now if they actually owned the rights to the character.

I feel like I'm having the Banjo arguments again.

StormC

Smash Hero
I mean, Sakurai did want to add Geno in Brawl. Why he couldn't is anybody's guess. Mine is that the money didn't move in a way Nintendo or Square liked.

Lots of cut characters are doomed to languish though. Dixie, Chorus Kids, Plusle/Minun, Toon Zelda... it's not a guarantee they'll ever get in someday.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Bonus content is one of those things that, while fun to think about and would be great, should still be seen as nothing more than a nice thought than anything likely. That just seems to me like something that Smash fans will come up with, only to disappoint themselves with later.

Geno is a character that I really do like. I like his design, his move set potential, and the music he could bring with him from SMRPG. However, I can also see why the parties involved with character selection (Sakurai, Nintendo, Square Enix) may not all agree to what is suggested. This isn’t a character like Cloud or Ryu we’re talking about.

The fan demand is there though. A few comments on my recent article got me thinking, because here we are spending countless hours arguing why characters “deserve” or have “earned” a spot in Smash, and narrowing it down to tried and true reason and...Sure, we can come up with plausible reasons for individual characters, but I think we’re going the wrong way if we try to place “every character has to fit X, Y, and Z to get into Smash”.

This stuff about Geno being an “old and irrelevant party member” sounds eerily similar to, “Lol they’ll never add random Mario enemies to Smash!”

I think there are guidelines Sakurai and the dev team follow with Smash. But characters can easily fit even if they don’t meet all, but just a combination. As it’s a video game, I think the most important part isn’t their relevance to the current status of series in 2019, otherwise K.Rool would have never been added.
I only think we'll get another bonus character if we get an additional pass as well. It probably won't if there isn't. I can still hope for it, but it's not like I'm actually expecting it. I just don't think Geno will be in the pass, so the brain naturally tries to figure out ways that he could be implemented. I mean, sure he could have a full stage and a few songs, but I don't think that A) any individual pass will double dip on specific companies, and B) it will include characters from pre-represented franchises. The only way I see Geno getting in at all is if they do him by himself with no other content except maybe 1 or 2 songs.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Geno might be the only specific third-party I wouldn't want playable. Despite his popularity, he just feels like an incredibly random choice.
Hmmm.... I just realized something. Things have been pretty quiet on the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi fronts. They’re usually pretty regular with those titles....

Super Mario RPG Remake of the 7 Stars on Switch so Geno can be a shill pick.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
It occurs to me that echoes would actually suit this role very well. Relatively easy to make, and easy to offer for cheap.

The DLC page of the site is interesting, but I cannot assume it implies anything. A bonus character remains wishful thinking imo.
Yeah bonus characters are def pie in the sky. As in, giving characters away for free. I don't even think there's a chance for that. Characters being sold outside the Pass can absolutely be a thing if the intention is to not include them with a stage. Hence why the 5 fighters are grouped together because they're the ones coming with stages.

I just feel the site having that section was odd. If PP was the only one, it could just say "separate from the Fighters Pass" rather than a section for "Individual DLC". And with the Mii Costume absent, it's even more suspicious.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Because he's ridiculously versatile in every other aspect?
dude, little mac's grab is better

he barely even has throw combos, i should at least be able to grab something

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Is this what it sounds like when I'm putting down characters from modern Fire Emblem and Pokemon games? Is this what it sounds like when I'm saying x characters should be cut because they aren't relevant or important to their series? If it is it hurts.... a lot.

But why can't he? The only reason he hasn't appeared more in the series is because he is owned by Square. It almost feels like he has engineered unimportant. It doesn't change the fact that a lot of people want him and that a lot of people have wanted him since the original game. Sure, he wasn't the most requested character back then, didn't even break the top 20. But he has always been there, and I'm sure Nintendo would have done more with him by now if they actually owned the rights to the character.

I feel like I'm having the Banjo arguments again.
Even if Nintendo had full control of the character, I still don't think it would've changed much outside Geno getting a few extra cameos. There's not really a good place for him to fit in the Mario franchise outside a sequel to SMRPG.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Hmmm.... I just realized something. Things have been pretty quiet on the Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi fronts. They’re usually pretty regular with those titles....

Super Mario RPG Remake of the 7 Stars on Switch so Geno can be a shill pick.
It's probably because the Bowser's Inside Story remake totally bombed.

StormC

Smash Hero
If the Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi characters that Nintendo actually owns collect dust, nevermind characters like King K. Rool, I really don't think anything would change for Geno's presence in the Mario series if he wasn't owned by Square.

D

Deleted member

The whole Geno argument in all honesty seems wishful thinking regarding him as a bonus, individual DLC or bonus character at this point in time. I feel that this whole sentiment of appeasing the fans seems really odd.

While I understand people thinking right now that his chances are the biggest they have ever been, memories are a fickle thing. Remember the whole debacle post K. Rool reveal where many thought Sakurai would only go for the visible fan demand and characters like Isaac, Geno, Banjo would be among the final ones in the base roster? And what happened? We ended up getting Isabelle and Incineroar as the final reveals.

Now if we go by the interviews and comments, we can notice that a few characters like Megaman, Cloud/FF, Bayonetta, Simon/CV in general, DQ, Pokemon, the Veterans and among others are relatively popular requests and further back we can see a lot of popular requests being added since Melee. And if we look at it, Isabelle is a popular character and S&M are definitely a big hit. We're always getting something by fan demand, sometimes more notorious than in other times like right now when we have a longstanding requests among other popular ones that surged recently. And I think this is a trend that will continue in every Smash game after this one.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
If the Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi characters that Nintendo actually owns collect dust, nevermind characters like King K. Rool, I really don't think anything would change for Geno's presence in the Mario series if he wasn't owned by Square.
tfw starlow is more prolific than geno at this point

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
So I’m getting my hands on an SNES Classic Edition on Tuesday, but I can’t decide which game I should play through first out of these three specifically:

1. Super Mario World
2. A Link to the Past
3. Super Metroid

I’d appreciate input from y’all to decide which I’ll play first.

The rest of the games I’ve either already played and will replay in the future, or am planning on saving them for after I clear the 3 listed. (Also I’m saving Super Castlevania 4 and Super Ghouls n’ Ghosts for Spooptober)

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
It's probably because the Bowser's Inside Story remake totally bombed.
Well, that's what they get for doing Partners in Time dirty like they did. That was my favorite game in the series, and it had what was arguably the darkest, most serious Mario villains we've ever had to date.

At least a remake on the Switch is possible one day. It deserved better.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yo. Go1 and Kaimart's match is ****ing great so far. Kaimart took the first match so far.

https://www.twitch.tv/evo6

So I’m getting my hands on an SNES Classic Edition on Tuesday, but I can’t decide which game I should play through first out of these three specifically:

1. Super Mario World
2. A Link to the Past
3. Super Metroid

I’d appreciate input from y’all to decide which I’ll play first.

The rest of the games I’ve either already played and will replay in the future, or am planning on saving them for after I clear the 3 listed. (Also I’m saving Super Castlevania 4 and Super Ghouls n’ Ghosts for Spooptober)
All of them are GOAT, but I'd say Super Metroid unless you want to save it for Spooktober too, seeing as Metroid is just Alien as a game franchise.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Dude. The heavily requested Mario series character was a certain wooden star man.

Seriously. I thought that PP’s trailer was for Geno at first and I wish I lived in the timeline where it was.
Agreed, Geno would have made the Nov Direct more satisfying to me, he's an ideal candidate to end on. Jokes aside, I do think Waluigi would have been a better choice--problem with a WTF character is that the novelty has a short shelf life (for me, at least). And when I mention a Mario character, I'm referring to first party--since they undoubtedly would not be able to convince Square to let Geno be a free bonus character.

(and all of this is moot anyways since PP was likely intended for the base)

I'd prefer Geno > Waluigi > PP. But should also mention that's less for me and for fans of the character, as I'm not personally familiar with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom