• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Anyway, I feel like the issue with Geno is Square itself.

I don't think they nor Nintendo care for Geno (I mean, they couldn't even bother to bring back his cameo in SS), and we all know Square is a bit uptight with their properties, and the fact that if there were to be anither Square rep, it would probably go to someone from a popular and relevant franchise that Square owns, so I have a hard time believing that he could be in.

Striga

Smash Journeyman
Me whenever the competitive Smash community goes ape**** with drama:
At this point, it is really hard for me to take the competitive side of Smash seriously after all that's happened.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
DK should absolutely be higher on that list. It's a bonfide million seller for pretty much all of it's games.

If I were to make a list, it would look kinda similar. Mario & Pokemon belonging to an SS rank, Zelda in the S rank, and then the rest as the same as that list only with DK alongside AC, Splatoon, Kirby, & FE.
This is supposed to represent Nintendo today.

Yes, DK has accomplished a lot in the past, but Nintendo doesn't rely on the franchise as much as it used to. It's been set on the back-burner ever since the end of the DS era, with the two Country games being the only new games for the franchise over the course of a decade.

If this were the early 2000s, DK would be way higher on the list. Today though, Nintendo doesn't seem concerned about regularly pumping out new games. That's why I felt like I couldn't put it next to AC, Splatoon, or Kirby.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Not really a direct response to your post, but just for fun, here's my tier list of Nintendo's most notable franchises. I tried ordering franchises within tiers.

A: :ultmario::ultpikachu::ultlink:
B::ultvillager::ultinkling::ultkirby::ultmarth:
C::ultyoshi::ultdk::ultwario::ultsamus::ultfox::ultolimar::ultshulk:
D::ultpit::ultness::ultfalcon::ultlittlemac:
?::ultwiifittrainer:
I feel like xenoblade might be B tier, they pushed xenoblade 2 and the expansion pretty hard

StormC

Smash Hero
All good ideas. I'll pick one later tonight...

In other news, is anyone other than me watching Dr. Stone? :yoshi:
I've been meaning to, it looks really good. I haven't watched a new anime in forever...I think the last one I watched was Devilman Crybaby.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Massive Hero Soccer Guy wishing everyone good luck at EVO

DID HE JUST CONFIRM A REVEAL, GUIZ???!!!ONE!1

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I don't think they nor Nintendo care for Geno (I mean, they couldn't even bother to bring back his cameo in SS), and we all know Square is a bit uptight with their properties, and the fact that if there were to be anither Square rep, it would probably go to someone from a popular and relevant franchise that Square owns, so I have a hard time believing that he could be in.
Actually, as crazy as it sounds, I don't think SE is to blame for Geno's absence from Smash. I actually think this has more to do with Nintendo/Sakurai.

Geno has gotten both a Mii Costume and a Spirit, so that should prove that SE isn't holding him down under lock and key. I think the real issue is that he's really obscure compared to other SE properties, and both Nintendo higher-ups and Sakurai agree that they could negotiate something way better than that. Why go for Geno when you could add FF or DQ?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
my last two brain cells when i get GIMPed by thwack. not even the kill, just the little push from being hit by it

image.gif

Striga

Smash Journeyman
Massive Hero Soccer Guy wishing everyone good luck at EVO

DID HE JUST CONFIRM A REVEAL, GUIZ???!!!ONE!1
"ERHMAHGAWD I CANT BELIEVE WE'RE GOING TO GET CRASH AT EVOOOOOOOO!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Geno, to his misfortune, belongs to a series filled with popular characters and mooks. Doubt that apart from the ocassional cameo, Nintendo cares for him.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
wait can you pocket thwack

important question

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I feel like xenoblade might be B tier, they pushed xenoblade 2 and the expansion pretty hard
It's way too early to tell how XC will do in the future, and XC2 isn't the best indicator of things to come. The Switch wasn't even a year old yet, and the game was released three weeks before Christmas. A lot of people may have bought the game to expand their library of games. Lord knows 1-2-Switch and ARMS benefited from that.

For now, I think C tier is more appropriate, especially since the sales have been really inconsistent compared to the B tier franchises. XC is still trying to find its beat.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

So it's the big man's birthday today!

Last edited:

Hat N' Clogs

John Tavares is a Leaf
3DS FC
1650-2469-6836
Switch FC
SW-3519-9567-9870
Next Overwatch session will be on at 10pm ET. So, in 22 minutes I will begin. If anyone wants to join me, just tag me.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I wouldn't go so far as to say there's a definitive set--Isaac and Skull Kid were also huge. But to claim any of those four were not popular, only recently popular, or obvious is just re-writing history.

There are better examples than this guy tbh. The history of his popularity is mostly some around Melee, middling amounts for Brawl and 4, and then lots for about two months this time. People bring up that poll from 2012, but it was botted by 4chan - you won't find any other polls that place SK anywhere near there from that time period.

People tend to discount characters that were included prior to Ultimate and only focus on what's happened in the last year or so, but there are several characters that spent more than one game being highly popular requests. Wario, Diddy, Mega Man, Inkling, Dedede, to name a few. And those are just ones that got in.

I get what you're saying though.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
This is supposed to represent Nintendo today.

Yes, DK has accomplished a lot in the past, but Nintendo doesn't rely on the franchise as much as it used to. It's been set on the back-burner ever since the end of the DS era, with the two Country games being the only new games for the franchise over the course of a decade.

If this were the early 2000s, DK would be way higher on the list. Today though, Nintendo doesn't seem concerned about regularly pumping out new games. That's why I felt like I couldn't put it next to AC, Splatoon, or Kirby.
Heavily disagree with this statement. Number of entries isn't synonymous with it's position. DK constantly pulls in the millions (evident with all of it's releases this decade) and is Nintendo's most iconic characters. It's up there with the likes of AC, Splatoon, and what have you.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

There are better examples than this guy tbh. The history of his popularity is mostly some around Melee, middling amounts for Brawl and 4, and then lots for about two months this time. People bring up that poll from 2012, but it was botted by 4chan - you won't find any other polls that place SK anywhere near there from that time period.

People tend to discount characters that were included prior to Ultimate and only focus on what's happened in the last year or so, but there are several characters that spent more than one game being highly popular requests. Wario, Diddy, Mega Man, Inkling, Dedede, to name a few. And those are just ones that got in.

I get what you're saying though.
are we also forgetting that loz18 was just some random guy who got high off of lucky calls who just came crashing down and never seen again

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
are we also forgetting that loz18 was just some random guy who got high off of lucky calls who just came crashing down and never seen again
I mean he clearly had correct information about the E3 demo, but after that he lived long enough to see himself become the villain.

And yeah, Skull Kid absolutely owes his popularity spike to loz.

D

Deleted member

Geno, to his misfortune, belongs to a series filled with popular characters and mooks. Doubt that apart from the ocassional cameo, Nintendo cares for him.
Yeah. The real hurdle for Geno this wave is whether Nintendo would actually want to promote him.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
So it's the big man's birthday today!
Dang... dude's getting up there in age. He's turning 49. Only one more year til the big 50.

WHY DOES HE STILL LOOK 30? WHAT ARE THIS MAN'S SECRETS?

Does he have possession of the fountain of youth or something?

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
hero is fun to play

just wish i had a second character that's just as natural to play as :ultlittlemac:. there's :ultshulk: but for some reason i just kind of dont win with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom