• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
Between Joker, Hero, and Banjo-Kazooie, I genuinely have a hard time picturing Nintendo/Sakurai selling a character with next to no appeal or popularity among Japanese gamers. But y'know, first time for everything and all that.

Gentlepanda

Meme Maestro
NNID
Panda
Switch FC
2255-1434-0335
How gold? Gold as in "50x better than the 3DS games" gold? Because if so, you have my attention.
imagine intsys actually addressing quite literally every single point of criticism about fates in a meaningful and positive way, and on top of that making every route in the game completely free despite the major differences between them

that's three houses

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Between Joker, Hero, and Banjo-Kazooie, I genuinely have a hard time picturing Nintendo/Sakurai selling a character with next to no appeal or popularity among Japanese gamers. But y'know, first time for everything and all that.
That first time was a long time ago. :ultridley:

unless you have very very very strict policies as in literally nonexistent presence

StormC

Smash Hero
That first time was a long time ago. :ultridley:

unless you have very very very strict policies as in literally nonexistent presence
I'm talking about as DLC. But yes, even Ridley was more recognizable and popular among Japanese fans than Doom Slayer.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm talking about as DLC. But yes, even Ridley was more recognizable and popular among Japanese fans than Doom Slayer.
Hey man, Todd Howard works wonders.

One step in Japan and I tell you, Skyrim will be the face of the country.

Striga

Smash Journeyman
I'm 100% on board for Doomguy (yes his name is Doomguy, has been and always will be).
He's got the history, he's the grandfather of a whole genre, he's ****ing badass. What more could you ask for?

D

Deleted member

Well, I recently got addicted to Overwatch.
It's really improved thanks to more recent changes. I can't wait for the Role Que to finally hit public. It used to be pretty close to chaos when it first debuted, but overtime, it got better, then worse, and only recently it's begun to stabilize and be fun,

Unfortunately, console still has a bit of problem. People insist on choosing Widow and she absolutely blows on console. Even those who use a mouse and keyboard on console still suck in comparison to every other character choice lol.

D

Deleted member

It's really improved thanks to more recent changes. I can't wait for the Role Que to finally hit public. It used to be pretty close to chaos when it first debuted, but overtime, it got better, then worse, and only recently it's begun to stabilize and be fun,

Unfortunately, console still has a bit of problem. People insist on choosing Widow and she absolutely blows on console. Even those who use a mouse and keyboard on console still suck in comparison to every other character choice lol.
I still need to find out a good place to get the entire lore, honestly.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
(yes his name is Doomguy, has been and always will be).
nah they changed it

he's Doom Slayer but it's just faster to say Doomguy

kind of like how Sakurai called Erdrick Arusu.

i swear he cares for spoilers on the most specific things, gives no ****s for anything on xenoblade chronicles but a name change on a character from a game back in the late 80s? oh man, no one can spoil that!

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Doom Slayer or not, I imagine Japanese and western Smash fans aren't that different insofar as most will probably buy a character on the sole basis of it being offered. Plus those who bought the pass are in regardless. Those groups only makes up a portion of the audience, fair, but it's still a decently sizeable portion of the DLC-buying crowd, I suspect.

It probably wouldn't sell as well as the others, true enough, but by virtue of being a Smash character, with hype trailer and video breakdown and all the bells and whistles, I honestly think almost any character would sell well enough.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
nah they changed it

he's Doom Slayer but it's just faster to say Doomguy

kind of like how Sakurai called Erdrick Arusu.

i swear he cares for spoilers on the most specific things, gives no ****s for anything on xenoblade chronicles but a name change on a character from a game back in the late 80s? oh man, no one can spoil that!
He’s calling him Arusu because that’s his Japanese name, unless I’m misinformed.

Striga

Smash Journeyman
imagine intsys actually addressing quite literally every single point of criticism about fates in a meaningful and positive way, and on top of that making every route in the game completely free despite the major differences between them

that's three houses
So a superior Fates, eh? Hmm, interesting to hear. I've been in a weird spot with FE. The last 4, technically 7, games haven't excatly been my slice of bread to say the least. But this one sounds like a complete 180 from the divisive nature of the 3DS titles.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
He’s calling him Arusu because that’s his Japanese name, unless I’m misinformed.
He's both Arusu and Erdrick from I understand. Erdrick just seems to be a legendary title for legendary heroes and he was just the next one.

I believe :ulthero: also becomes an Erdrick but I may be mistaken.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
How gold? Gold as in "50x better than the 3DS games" gold? Because if so, you have my attention.
Personally, the way I would describe Three Houses is that it is the successor to Genealogy of the Holy War disguised in the clothing of Persona and Hogwarts. It's not uncommon to see 3H as Persona Emblem or Hogwarts Emblem at first glance, however the developers said they used the academic background of the Jugdral trio (Sigurd, Quan, and Eldigan) as the inspiration for the school setting, and I personally agree with them. The backdrop of the Officer's Academy helps set the stage for the second half of the game.

Playing the game more, it feels less like Persona and more like Genealogy, especially as the plot progresses. I see the directors' point when they said people should be comparing the game to Genealogy more so than Persona or Harry Potter.

Not sure if people will agree with me, but I think 3H is the darkest Fire Emblem game since Genealogy. I am sure everyone will agree that 3H is the darkest modern Fire Emblem installment though.

BZL8

Smash Ace
Switch FC
So a superior Fates, eh? Hmm, interesting to hear. I've been in a weird spot with FE. The last 4, technically 7, games haven't excatly been my slice of bread to say the least. But this one sounds like a complete 180 from the divisive nature of the 3DS titles.
Three Houses is the game that Fates wanted to be. I would also say that it is the true SMT x FE crossover that people wanted (nothing against TMS though).

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
He's both Arusu and Erdrick from I understand. Erdrick just seems to be a legendary title for legendary heroes and he was just the next one.
Maybe he just wanted to refer to him as Arusu, then. It’s completely possible that it isn’t a spoiler related reason.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So I've been gushing about Three Houses in more vague terms, but I feel compelled to explain why I love it so far since A) I can't play it right now, and B) so I don't sound like a blind fanboy with a new favorite toy.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is the best Bioware game I've played in nearly a decade.

I enjoy the tactics and combat style of Fire Emblem in general. Every FE game has offered compelling gameplay. But they're hard to go back to unless that's all you want, because outside of watching supports, there's often very little to do outside of those battles. The objectives and map designs can get creative and challenging, and the characters can win you over despite the battle system's eventual monotony, but that's always been the thing that keeps me from replaying FE ad nauseam: it's easier to just look up videos of your favorite moments or enjoy fan works of your favorite characters than to repeat 30+hrs of that specific tactical style of combat. FE is something I cherish but don't always go back to; I've only beaten three games in the series more than once, unless we count Fates' three versions.

Three Houses retains the compelling tactics and min-max style of item management, but adds so. much. ****. None of it feels superfluous. When I get to a battle, it feels like I've properly built up to it, or chosen to do it. Not because it's the next chapter and that's what I'm supposed to do. I get to vary my time according to how I want to play the game, whether it's focusing on in-character interactions, battles, item micromanagement or scavenger hunting, because all routes can lead to the same destination: customized, stronger units. I can spend a full hour building supports through quests and meandering around a large, living world where characters go about their day, and yet by the end of it I've prepared all my units to upgrade their best skills by half. Or I could take on more battle gameplay and increase their stats/equipment/supports that way. It's up to me.

The overworld is vast with tons of things to find and do, lots of little details that make it worth exploring. Characters move to new locations and converse with other characters in a living way as the world moves on without you, leaving you to catch up. Supports are well-acted and lively; they're entertaining and endearing, with no one feeling like a throwaway character despite the large cast and all the variables of who can be in what house. And the architecture and overall visuals are consistent and fascinating; I find myself constantly pointing my camera in every direction to take in all the details while running between side quests.

Honestly, the game reminds me of a better take on Dragon Age II, one of my favorite games of all time. DAII was flawed because it was rushed, and many of its good ideas and design decisions were undermined by that compacted schedule. FE:TH is like if DAII had been seen to completion, but with the 'meh' Dragon Age combat replaced with the much more engaging and rewarding FE combat. Everything you find feels valuable; every character you meet feels worth investing in; every battle feels earned and not just there to pad the game.

And I'm still in the first act 20hrs in. I haven't even found out how they're going to break my heart yet.

I can't wait to find out who this game's Anders will be.

StormC

Smash Hero
Reminder that Sakurai once mentioned John Carmack as "the father of FPS's", so we know Doom is at least on his radar.
Sakurai is a video game obsessive who has played more games than everyone on this forum combined. There's no doubt in my mind he knows Doom is an iconic and influential game, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's going to put it in Smash. I'm not even saying it's impossible, just that I don't see it as a sure thing that so many others do.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Well, you and I have differing opinions on SoV and Awakening. But yes.

The game is much grander than what the 3DS could handle and everything added feels like it belongs. It's not just a bigger FE game. It's a whole one without compromises.

Striga

Smash Journeyman
Personally, the way I would describe Three Houses is that it is the successor to Genealogy of the Holy War disguised in the clothing of Persona and Hogwarts. It's not uncommon to see 3H as Persona Emblem or Hogwarts Emblem at first glance, however the developers said they used the academic background of the Jugdral trio (Sigurd, Quan, and Eldigan) as the inspiration for the school setting, and I personally agree with them. The backdrop of the Officer's Academy helps set the stage for the second half of the game.

Playing the game more, it feels less like Persona and more like Genealogy, especially as the plot progresses. I see the directors' point when they said people should be comparing the game to Genealogy more so than Persona or Harry Potter.

Not sure if people will agree with me, but I think 3H is the darkest Fire Emblem game since Genealogy. I am sure everyone will agree that 3H is the darkest modern Fire Emblem installment though.
Three Houses is the game that Fates wanted to be. I would also say that it is the true SMT x FE crossover that people wanted.
Okay, that bolded part has my attention front and center.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
What are you guys predicting for EVO? Not necessarily Smash, but like, everyone.
I'm not sure if we'll get a brand new Tekken or Street Fighter game, though I could see them announcing Street Fighter 6 given how much development on that game seems to have slowed down. (we haven't heard a thing about significant updates to that game since the release of Kage since mid-December, which by the time EVO rolls around will be nearly eight months ago) For Tekken, I'm expecting DLC for Tekken 7, though a new game or a Legacy Collection (like what Street Fighter got) would be cool to see.

Alternatively, for Capcom, a new Darkstalkers or Marvel vs. Capcom game would be great.

For BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle, I could see Arc System Works announcing either the next universe to join that crossover (I'm expecting Senran Kagura, though my pipe dream would be Fist of the North Star, since they did make a fighting game for that series) or an announcement of a new Guilty Gear game (Guilty Gear Yth: Resurgence, or some equally nonsensical title), since I believe they said that they were working on a new one either at last year's EVO or two years ago.

For Smash, I have no idea - the most that I was expecting would be "Hero comes out... right now", but today's presentation already took care of that. I doubt we'll get an announcement of a new character, but I doubted we'd get anything on Smash for last year's EVO (where we got the Smash Direct announcement during the Melee finals) or at the Game Awards (where we got Joker), so my track record is abysmal.

Do we get announcements outside of the final day? I'm not sure what's getting the focus on Saturday, but I can't remember how it worked for previous years.

Last edited:

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
So I've been gushing about Three Houses in more vague terms, but I feel compelled to explain why I love it so far since A) I can't play it right now, and B) so I don't sound like a blind fanboy with a new favorite toy.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is the best Bioware game I've played in nearly a decade.

I enjoy the tactics and combat style of Fire Emblem in general. Every FE game has offered compelling gameplay. But they're hard to go back to unless that's all you want, because outside of watching supports, there's often very little to do outside of those battles. The objectives and map designs can get creative and challenging, and the characters can win you over despite the battle system's eventual monotony, but that's always been the thing that keeps me from replaying FE ad nauseam: it's easier to just look up videos of your favorite moments or enjoy fan works of your favorite characters than to repeat 30+hrs of that specific tactical style of combat. FE is something I cherish but don't always go back to; I've only beaten three games in the series more than once, unless we count Fates' three versions.

Three Houses retains the compelling tactics and min-max style of item management, but adds so. much. ****. None of it feels superfluous. When I get to a battle, it feels like I've properly built up to it, or chosen to do it. Not because it's the next chapter and that's what I'm supposed to do. I get to vary my time according to how I want to play the game, whether it's focusing on in-character interactions, battles, item micromanagement or scavenger hunting, because all routes can lead to the same destination: customized, stronger units. I can spend a full hour building supports through quests and meandering around a large, living world where characters go about their day, and yet by the end of it I've prepared all my units to upgrade their best skills by half. Or I could take on more battle gameplay and increase their stats/equipment/supports that way. It's up to me.

The overworld is vast with tons of things to find and do, lots of little details that make it worth exploring. Characters move to new locations and converse with other characters in a living way as the world moves on without you, leaving you to catch up. Supports are well-acted and lively; they're entertaining and endearing, with no one feeling like a throwaway character despite the large cast and all the variables of who can be in what house. And the architecture and overall visuals are consistent and fascinating; I find myself constantly pointing my camera in every direction to take in all the details while running between side quests.

Honestly, the game reminds me of a better take on Dragon Age II, one of my favorite games of all time. DAII was flawed because it was rushed, and many of its good ideas and design decisions were undermined by that compacted schedule. FE:TH is like if DAII had been seen to completion, but with the 'meh' Dragon Age combat replaced with the much more engaging and rewarding FE combat. Everything you find feels valuable; every character you meet feels worth investing in; every battle feels earned and not just there to pad the game.

And I'm still in the first act 20hrs in. I haven't even found out how they're going to break my heart yet.

I can't wait to find out who this game's Anders will be.
Which house are you playing?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm also super intrigued by what Capcom potentially has to show. I'm nervous. I really want the fighting game division to get the same huge boost that resulted in DMCV, RE7/RE2R, and MM11
we watch in awe as capcom takes back every anime game right from namco and actually makes them good again

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
For EVO, I predict that a thousand people will predict Marvel vs Capcom 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom