• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

You think this is bad? Wait till you see this place if both Monster Hunter and Lloyd are the final characters.

It’s gonna get hot, and I ain’t talking Miami hot.
Realistically Im expecting someone from a big franchise and someone from a small one. The whole thing with the 4chan post is quite inoffensive but is quite funny to see people losing their minds over if it is a leak, a wishlist or whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It's not necessarily the weapon that matters; it's how the attack functions. Even if damage output and knockback is different for Marth/Lucina/Roy/Chrom, the attacks themselves function mostly the same.

I think you're just looking at this from the perspective of a competitive player. From the eyes of a casual, stuff like this isn't noticed as easily. All they can see is that there's four FE characters who swing their sword the exact same way for a majority of their attacks, and I can understand why that might be frustrating, especially when there's so much more you could give a character. It can feel reptitive after a while.

Even Sakurai himself has admitted that it can be difficult to make swordfighters feel unique.
Yeah, I think that's the main issue. To a casual player, they're indistinguishable, particularly the echoes (weird to use echoes as an example, for that reason). After this discussion, I played Marth and Ike to see if I could tell the difference, and I couldn't. Except for one move, Aether. And they're the ones people tell me are really different, every time I say I can't tell the blue-haired sword fighters apart. And there are many more people more casual than me. Whenever people talk about "tippers" and "knockback" my brain goes to mush. And that's not a bad thing! There are a variety of people who play Smash and we should celebrate that fact. But we should also recognize that most people aren't like us, and when we talk about making characters unique, casual and expert players are meaning two very different things. Expert players focus on small, nuanced differences, while casual players focus on big picture differences.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
List of potential swordfighters in descending order of how badly I want them...
  1. Ryu Hayabusa
  2. Nightmare
  3. Dante
  4. Travis Touchdown
  5. Lloyd/Yuri/Tales protagonist
  6. Monster Hunter
  7. Any Fire Emblem character
If there’s any I missed, let me know.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Late to be chiming in, as usual. But it ain't that serious, y'all. Let people be people.

I'm reminded of a post that had "Animal Crossing Guy, Mega Man, the female trainer from Wii Fit" and was originally being sold as nothing more than an 'unlikely prediction.' Followed later by the now infamous leak with Mii Fighters (with that exact name) being a "lucky guess" once a small handful of things didn't line up perfectly. You can't convince some people of anything sometimes, and that's okay.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You do realize I was just relaying the information, right?

I don't even fully believe the leak at the end of the day.
You call it a leak is what shakes me to my very core. Now I'm in a bathtub eating cookies n cream knowing papagenos has spread such misinformation across the world, and now some dude on 4chan is getting glory. Probably just now outranked VR Plant.

We truly do... live in a society. :emptysheep:

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
You call it a leak is what shakes me to my very core. Now I'm in a bathtub eating cookies n cream knowing papagenos has spread such misinformation across the world, and now some dude on 4chan is getting glory. Probably just now outranked VR Plant.

We truly do... live in a society. :emptysheep:
Do we live in a society?

Or does society live in us?

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
I mean let's be honest, getting all the Dragon Quest alt skins correctly is a tad bit suspicious. If the poster was a leaker and he didn't want many people to know about this then he did his job well since he posted on a wish list thread that didn't get noticed until over half a year later. It could be a leak, it could be just a wish list, we don't really know. I just don't think it should be outright ignored and disregarded just because of where it came from.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed

Personally feel like it's only partially real

Like the Hero part is more than likely legit, but you could easily add some false info in there too
While DoomSlayer makes a degree of sense. I highly doubt we’re getting more Monster Hunter content. I guess it wouldn’t be a bad pass. But this leak isn’t that bad a lineup.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ya want fighters with guns? I'll name 3:

1: Tetra
2: The Heavy (AKA, Heavy Weapons Guy)
3: Doomguy

The latter would either be kinda brutal or have to be toned down significantly, admittedly but Tetra or the Heavy shouldn't present any problems. They're cartoonish enough that they can still use their firearms without the bullets being realistic.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
>fighters with guns
>absolutely NO mention of Elma

I sleep :tired:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I would absolutely be down for Doomguy/Doom Slayer.

The amount of memery that would take place...while also bringing in a well identified partner with the Switch, while also bearing plenty of gaming history...and the moveset would probably be amazing as well.

Then you have the music. The stage elements.

If they end the pass with Doom Slayer and Leon Kennedy or some combo of those two series, the pass is literally 20/10 for me.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I mean let's be honest, getting all the Dragon Quest alt skins correctly is a tad bit suspicious. If the poster was a leaker and he didn't want many people to know about this then he did his job well since he posted on a wish list thread that didn't get noticed until over half a year later. It could be a leak, it could be just a wish list, we don't really know. I just don't think it should be outright ignored and disregarded just because of where it came from.
This. There is absolutely no problem with dismissing a rumor because it comes from 4chan, and that's generally my rule of thumb. I think that's the bias, and the rationalizations for why it has to be wrong have been really inadequate.

- Those 4 series from Dragon Quest were an obvious guess: Alternate history. I guess they don't remember how everyone was talking about Erdrick, and if someone in late 2018 wanted to really get crazy, they'd add on a female alt. This also goes to those who say "Dragon Quest and Banjo" were obvious picks--they were not obvious to most, at the time. I get that if they were to pick 4 series, those are the 4 obvious ones to pick--but nothing says they had to pick 4 alt costumes.
- The "or" nitpick: Grasping at straws. When we talk about skepticism/evidence we talk about falsifiability. The more falsifiable claims end up being true, the more likelier the claim is. If Hero had been just Erdrick and a female alt, this rumor would have been false. If all 8 would have been alt costumes, this rumor would have been false. There are many combinations of how alts could have been handled, and most of those combinations would have made this rumor false. They got the correct number of alt costumes *and* what series they were from. In this case, and/or doesn't make a difference because it was all correct.

And general goalpost moving. I remember when rumors correctly guessed Dragon Quest/Banjo, people generally said it's possible, but the fact they said Erdrick or generic Dragon Quest/SE character that it was unlikely. Had they guessed the Hero character with 4 alts, then it'd be a different story. Now the standard of believability is even when they get all alt costumes correct, it's obviously false because [insert nitpick here].

I don't personally believe this rumor, but I admit it's because it's a 4chan rumor with no other corroborating evidence. I'm not biased for any of the characters (if anything, I'm biased against these characters). But the outright dismissal of it is curious given how much of the other rumors had more attention, despite being less predictive (a lot of people gave a rumor a chance simply for including Joker, who was the only one consistently on my wishlists/predictions).

Also to the claim that it's a wishlist and not a rumor--I'm calling it a rumor, for simplicity's sake, and it really doesn't matter because anyone can leak stuff by calling it a wishlist. For all we know, it leaked some correct info and made the rest up. While I don't believe it, I am keeping it on my radar.

EDIT: Might have been a wishlist, after all. Doesn't change any of the logic of this post, but does show that some people can get incredibly lucky, and how lucky that is shouldn't be understated.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
The day Adeleine gets into Smash is the day I become God.

I already got her in a new Kirby game, finally. You want to give me even more power?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Part of the reason I want Zacian is because I'm legitimately interested to see how people complain.

Will it be "Just another anime swordfighter,", "Too many Pokemon,", or "Sword and Shield shouldn't be represented in Smash."?
"Why isn't it another humanoid?"
"Why did they pick a Pokemon for its moveset potential over it being a grass starter?"

Noipoi

Howdy!
You know how in Joker’s thing when he went into stage builder there was a dragon stage and a witch stage?

Now I’m not saying they were hints towards Hero Sandwich and Banjo Kazooie

But I’m absolutely saying they were hints

So I’m gonna keep my eyes peeled tomorrow

CallMeKnux

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0424-3957-0991
You know how in Joker’s thing when he went into stage builder there was a dragon stage and a witch stage?

Those are super unspecific. I'm 100% certain those are coincidences. Didn't the witch even have a black cat or smth? That Grunty never has?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I'll give the dude props tho

He got Hero absolutely on point, like holy crud! What a feat!

Nice to see his wishes are becoming a reality so far

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

There was a Mario stage shown in stage builder. Waluigi confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom