• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread - Please Read Last Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
fire emblem purge? defs gonna happen, dude. im betting on it next smash bros.

i definitely see :4corrin: biting the dust 100%, just me tho
If Fire Emblem is ever getting a character removed then I can see it being Corrin. He's one of the least popular lords in Smash and it's a character whose inclusion in general was controversial. If Corrin gets removed it would be because another Fire Emblem character is getting in, and they'd have to save some resources for the newcomers.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
My post before was not answered, so if I may ask again, where can I watch the live stream on Dragon Quest's Hero being talked about for Ultimate?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
nah i just dont like fates or anything from fates

except ryoma, ryoma can live
If Fire Emblem is ever getting a character removed then I can see it being Corrin. He's one of the least popular lords in Smash and it's a character whose inclusion in general was controversial. If Corrin gets removed it would be because another Fire Emblem character is getting in, and they'd have to save some resources for the newcomers.
Even if Corrin is bad as a character, I don't think he should be cut because of it. His moveset is still unique, and the number of people who hate him won't change that.

I'd prefer a semi or Echo get cut. That way we wouldn't be losing as much.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So is it going up in 15 minutes or can I go to bed?!

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
My post before was not answered, so if I may ask again, where can I watch the live stream on Dragon Quest's Hero being talked about for Ultimate?
...Nintendo's website or the Smash Bros site, I guess?

I don't think they've announced a specific place to watch it.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
fire emblem purge? defs gonna happen, dude. im betting on it next smash bros.

i definitely see :4corrin: biting the dust 100%, just me tho
Bias aside, Corrin's way too dang unique to get the boot.

If anything we should cut one of the many typical FE swordies first, like maybe Chrom or Roy or something like that.

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Even if Corrin is bad as a character, I don't think he should be cut because of it. His moveset is still unique, and the number of people who hate him won't change that.

I'd prefer a semi or Echo get cut. That way we wouldn't be losing as much.
Corrin is unique yes, that's one of his saving graces. But the reason why I think he won't survive the next game is that there has to be some unique characters that will get axed from the roster if they're going to use a new engine and introduce a sizeable number of newcomers. Clones don't take as much development time as unique characters, which is why I can see Roy making it in but not Corrin since Roy wouldn't take as much development time as him.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Bias aside, Corrin's way too dang unique to get the boot.

If anything we should cut one of the many typical swordies, like maybe Chrom/Roy or something.
do you want another nightmare

i remember the cries of "roys our boy" from early smash 4 dlc days

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You kind of explained why I'm not too fond of swords toward the end there a little bit.

Yes, most of the swordfighters play nothing like each other, but the specials are usually what really make them play different. Take those away and then you really do have a certain type of character who plays very similar to anyone else with the same weapon That problem exists with characters who fight with their hands and feet too, but it's not nearly as bad. Punches, chops, slaps, kicks, and leg sweeps offer more variety than swinging a sword a certain direction.

I just want more swordfighters handled like Corrin, where both the specials and the standard moves are really unique compared to the rest of the cast.
I still have to disagree. There are waaaaay more differences between the characters than just the specials, especially when it comes to the Fire Emblem characters.

For example, an easy one is Marth vs. Lucina, or Roy vs. Chrom. The first of both pairs has a specific gimmick with the tip and hilt of their swords specifically. If Marth spaces their opponent correctly, the player can KO the opponent early with a tipper smash. Lucina does not have this gimmick, and the trade off is that she can more liberally throw out attack rather than fishing for a tipper.

Roy has plenty of power, and because he deals more damage and knockback if he strikes at close range, it's effective if one plays aggressively. Chrom doesn't have this gimmick, so he can deal damage in any way he pleases, while also maintaining aggressive play.

Ike is his own man, with his dtilt really only similar to Corrin, and combo capability. Otherwise, he's entirely unique in the way he plays.

Simply focusing on the weapon, and not how the moves are used, is effectively a surface level assessment of the character. It's a valid criticism, but it's surface level and no deeper. They're all unique from one another, regardless of the weapon they use. Their attacks have different knockback, effects, strengths, weaknesses, speeds, etc...
Can we argue our points for our positions, while not dismissing someone else's? Yes, to a hardcore Smash player who can use terms like "forward smash" and "back aerial", you can notice the nuance in the sword characters. But to a casual player, who has no experience with the character previously, they become essentially interchangeable. I can't tell most FH characters apart, despite having as much exposure to them now as I have.

That being said, I would agree that people shouldn't be *surprised* at more sword characters. Swordfighter is one of three character classes represented by the Mii Fighters, and invariably future characters are going to fall into one of those categories. The onus is on the game devs to make them as unique as possible, and it's perfectly okay for people to say, for them personally, that hasn't been the case with many sword characters and have become ambivalent to them in the process.
I don't entirely disagree with you. But again, if the assessment is that sword users all "look" or "play the same" that is a surface level assessment. It's a valid surface level assessment, but no deeper.

There is more than meets the eye to each character, in ways than more than the attacks they use. I used to also view characters as, "Wow, they fight the same way. How lame!". But to truly succeed with the character, you have to know what their strengths are, as well as their weaknesses.
-
I'm finding the "animu swordfighter" argument is effectively judging the book by its cover, but it's by the weapon. I'm actually entirely for new, interesting weapons for characters to use, but the most likely Nintendo candidate for that is...Fire Emblem. Byleth uses a weapon that is entirely unique from any of the sword users in Smash, as he could easily be a mix of Sword-using Belmont, but then you have Edelgard with an Axe, Dimitri with a Lance, and Claude with a Bow and Arrow. Zacian from Pokemon is another option, but I don't know any of his abilities other than it being a doggo with sword.

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
I can't figure out which students I want to recruit to my house they're all so cool

BlueMonk

Smash Champion
Probably in the normal places for Nintendo broadcasts, so Youtube/Twitch/The Nintendo website

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Wait. What does his new leak even say?

Personally feel like it's only partially real

Like the Hero part is more than likely legit, but you could easily add some false info in there too

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Nintendo UK must be veeeery confused then.
"Crap, we accidentally implied when Hero's coming out. Let's make it so they don't know when to watch the Direct! That'll throw them off the trail."

A quick and dirty conversion made me think the time was different, but a more thorough check shows that it lines up. So yeah

joke
____
head

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I wonder why PapaGenos was putting so much faith in a wishlist that wasn't even a leak?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
c'mon guys, stop taking it out of context

it's clearly a blatant wish list... this thread has context, general 4chan warning: https://boards.fireden.net/v/thread/442253084/#442254868

edit: :ultgreninja:'d
Any person could easily leak a list through claiming it's a wishlist. Doesn't make it true, but that's not a point against the now-potential-rumor. If it is a wishlist, it got incredibly lucky, regardless of how people want to downplay it.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Any person could easily leak a list through claiming it's a wishlist.
What kind of crazy conspiracy theory are you trying to pull? He said 3, 4, 8, -----> or <----- 11. This guy just got lucky and got everything he wanted out of a DQ rep. It's 4chan, if he wanted to say it was a leak, he easily would have done it. There is 0 risk in doing it, you're anonymous.

Striga

Smash Journeyman
It’s only a wishlist because they want you to believe it’s a wishlist and not a top secret leak by Nintendo to spoil their own surprise so no one else can.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I still have to disagree. There are waaaaay more differences between the characters than just the specials, especially when it comes to the Fire Emblem characters.

For example, an easy one is Marth vs. Lucina, or Roy vs. Chrom. The first of both pairs has a specific gimmick with the tip and hilt of their swords specifically. If Marth spaces their opponent correctly, the player can KO the opponent early with a tipper smash. Lucina does not have this gimmick, and the trade off is that she can more liberally throw out attack rather than fishing for a tipper.

Roy has plenty of power, and because he deals more damage and knockback if he strikes at close range, it's effective if one plays aggressively. Chrom doesn't have this gimmick, so he can deal damage in any way he pleases, while also maintaining aggressive play.

Ike is his own man, with his dtilt really only similar to Corrin, and combo capability. Otherwise, he's entirely unique in the way he plays.

Simply focusing on the weapon, and not how the moves are used, is effectively a surface level assessment of the character. It's a valid criticism, but it's surface level and no deeper. They're all unique from one another, regardless of the weapon they use. Their attacks have different knockback, effects, strengths, weaknesses, speeds, etc...

I don't entirely disagree with you. But again, if the assessment is that sword users all "look" or "play the same" that is a surface level assessment. It's a valid surface level assessment, but no deeper.

There is more than meets the eye to each character, in ways than more than the attacks they use. I used to also view characters as, "Wow, they fight the same way. How lame!". But to truly succeed with the character, you have to know what their strengths are, as well as their weaknesses.
-
I'm finding the "animu swordfighter" argument is effectively judging the book by its cover, but it's by the weapon. I'm actually entirely for new, interesting weapons for characters to use, but the most likely Nintendo candidate for that is...Fire Emblem. Byleth uses a weapon that is entirely unique from any of the sword users in Smash, as he could easily be a mix of Sword-using Belmont, but then you have Edelgard with an Axe, Dimitri with a Lance, and Claude with a Bow and Arrow. Zacian from Pokemon is another option, but I don't know any of his abilities other than it being a doggo with sword.
It's not necessarily the weapon that matters; it's how the attack functions. Even if damage output and knockback is different for Marth/Lucina/Roy/Chrom, the attacks themselves function mostly the same.

I think you're just looking at this from the perspective of a competitive player. From the eyes of a casual, stuff like this isn't noticed as easily. All they can see is that there's four FE characters who swing their sword the exact same way for a majority of their attacks, and I can understand why that might be frustrating, especially when there's so much more you could give a character. It can feel reptitive after a while.

Even Sakurai himself has admitted that it can be difficult to make swordfighters feel unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom