• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Social Thread 4.1™-Rockets, Spiders, Drums, Arms, Wings, Lightning, Marsupials and OP form a circle

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
I think the thread title should be changed

Last edited:

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Welp, Im sleepy and I need to wash the dishes...at 3am :awesome:
Also, I need to wake up early to get MOAR Tamales de Verde

Goodnight and good afternoon/morning/evening to people in other timezones!

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Well, I've never fought ROB with Lucario. Plus it's FG, despite the name I fight like an idiot online.
Pfft! Im super cereal 24/7!

Unless I totally out perform my opponent/they dont know how to fight lucario to the point its not fun to put that much effort in, then playful mode activates.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Someone was disproving a gravity falls theory with: "Do you know how unlikely it is for a woman to have triplets"

I know someone IRL that is a quadruplet

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader
Someone was disproving a gravity falls theory with: "Do you know how unlikely it is for a woman to have triplets"

I know someone IRL that is a quadruplet
Im more suprised there are theories about the show now. Then again I only ever looked at the show and never actually watched it so I dunno.

Also who applies real life rules to a cartoon, jeez. Thats how "they ware dead all along" becomes the only logical conclusion.

Last edited:

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
*looks at the thread title* ...Welp, guess it's time to post this again.

You guys ready for :

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
*goes to Google Translate to check the title*

OH MY-
Good translate is a really bad way to get the feeling of a language. The word you saw doesn't actually correctly translate to "baka" ばか. Baka can be correctly translated to idiot/fool and can be used as both an insult and as a joke\term of endearment. I.e. we call our cat a "bakaneko" when he does something stupid or silly. So, unless the person being called that is offended by it, it's not actually what Google Translate said it was. And to further my point, I asked my wife about it and she laughed at it and said that is a horrible translation of the word. My teachers also use Google Translate to translate documents from Japanese to English for me and I often get great pieces of art like this:

To Mr. Joe-teacher,

To Monday the class is have to be had. The class is will be of the 3 level of primary school students. In the four times open, will be the four lessons that is English. Please teach to all students the colors and of the shapes and teach students about enjoying speaking and playing in English. Students are to be made very happy by English with Mr. Joe-sensei. We look to the class and to the plan of the lesson. After the conclusion of the class students will had to make reflection on English and Mr. Joe-sensei. In the last part, we are happy to ask to make a talk to America and teach the primary school students of 3 level the enjoyment of foreigners. Please accept the class and students with much happiness.

Good bye
3 level teachers

(p.s. this is seriously a memo I found on my desk once.)

Many online translators completely miss the cultural context of the thing being translated.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
Good translate is a really bad way to get the feeling of a language. The word you saw doesn't actually correctly translate to "baka" ばか. Baka can be correctly translated to idiot/fool and can be used as both an insult and as a joke\term of endearment. I.e. we call our cat a "bakaneko" when he does something stupid or silly. So, unless the person being called that is offended by it, it's not actually what Google Translate said it was. And to further my point, I asked my wife about it and she laughed at it and said that is a horrible translation of the word. My teachers also use Google Translate to translate documents from Japanese to English for me and I often get great pieces of art like this:

To Mr. Joe-teacher,

To Monday the class is have to be had. The class is will be of the 3 level of primary school students. In the four times open, will be the four lessons that is English. Please teach to all students the colors and of the shapes and teach students about enjoying speaking and playing in English. Students are to be made very happy by English with Mr. Joe-sensei. We look to the class and to the plan of the lesson. After the conclusion of the class students will had to make reflection on English and Mr. Joe-sensei. In the last part, we are happy to ask to make a talk to America and teach the primary school students of 3 level the enjoyment of foreigners. Please accept the class and students with much happiness.

Good bye
3 level teachers

(p.s. this is seriously a memo I found on my desk once.)

Many online translators completely miss the cultural context of the thing being translated.
VENUS.

HELP MEH.

MY SIDES.

THEY HURT.

:laugh::joyful::laugh:

Last edited:

Knuckles the Knuckles

Here's a taste of the remedy
NNID
Dromader

Seriously though, it looks a bit... grotesque. :p
So just like Knuckles in Boom?

(He actually seems to be based on some anime character I remember seeing once, dunno who he is, all I know he's part of Shonen Jump and was in that Shonen All Stars PS3 game.)

EDIT: Its Toguro from YuYuHakusho

Last edited:

Strofirko

Smash Master
I think we really need a nintendo direct sooner enough,I don't think I can stand another half hour gamexplain about a 3 minutes paragraph.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Why do they do that (and make a fool of themselves :p)? You can understand Japanese in any case.
Same reasons that:
1) People always try to speak to me in English even though the conversation would be much more constructive if it was just in Japanese.
2) People assume that even though I can speak and understand Japanese, I can't speak and understand Japanese and must only understand English.
3) They feel that Japanese is a hard language for foreigners to understand so they think mediocre English is a better alternative.
4) People speak and look to my wife when talking to us despite the conversation being directed to me (go to a restaurant and I am ordering our dinner but the waiter constantly is keeping eye contact with her and not me. My friend, who is Vietnamese, also has this problem. They assume she is Japanese so they acknowledge her among the 'Muricans, Brits, and Aussies I hang out with..)
5) People are shocked to hear me speak in Japanese as I am a foreigner.

I am a foreigner in Japan thus there are certain expectations and roles I must fill or things turn to chaos. I am breaking those expectations thus throwing whoever I am talking to int I usually correct these horrible lesson plans/memos and then turn then back to the teachers with an explanation on to why they are wrong and how to avoid making those mistakes in the future. I also gave all of my teachers my phone number, times I am available, and email address in order to contact me. Just in case they need to tell me something important.

Needless to say, they still give me google translated memos and there has been times where I walk into school and greeted with:
Teacher: "Ah, Mr. Joe-sensei. So sorry. Today is no school lunch so teachers brought a Japanese boxed lunch. Did you bring the Japanese boxed lunch today?"

Me: "Did you contact me about it? If not, then no."

T: "Ah so sorry but I do not have your contact details."

M: ::points to the contact details pasted on my desk with bright colors on it::

T: "Oh I did consider to contact you at that time. So sorry."

M: " :/ "

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I think we really need a nintendo direct sooner enough,I don't think I can stand another half hour gamexplain about a 3 minutes paragraph.
Ha, so true. I haven't even bothered, there's no new information in those videos, it's just them pandering to their fans with the sounds of their voices.
Not necessarily a bad thing, but I could care less.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547

Hands down best song in any fighting game. "This is tuna with bacon."

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sorry to do this Venus but....
:079::079::079::079::079::079::079::079::079::079:
Thing is....that song can be posted 30 times or more and still never be Slowbro'd because it never gets old. It deserves the recognition. It deserves the respect.

Though I will also accept this as being awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom