• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal: We need a wakeup call.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
In general, people talk about either being confident or humble, but most people must be both to be good.

So the question is, what is the ideal amount of confidence and humility that one should have both inside and outside of a tournament? Advice would be greatly appreciated.
I think you should always go into a match with a confident attitude but not be so confident that you underestimate someone you think is worse than you. P taught me that you should never have a negative thought when playing. If you got gimped or something, don't worry about it, it's Melee: anything can happen.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
nah u guys are hella dumb lol, kira is 100% right

sure they can still do anything like shine usmash spotdodge or upb out of shield, but if u space like kira was saying, then they'll just get ***** if they do any of those things.

Kira-

Smash Champion
thanks kfc haha. glad you agree, you play way smarter than me so it's good to know i got my knowledge straight

In general, people talk about either being confident or humble, but most people must be both to be good.

So the question is, what is the ideal amount of confidence and humility that one should have both inside and outside of a tournament? Advice would be greatly appreciated.
enough confidence in your abilities that you dont **** up easy stuff (like when people get nervous) but not so much that you underestimate the opponent and not try as hard.

or WDOoS .
You can punish the following action, such as if they decide to run backwards after the wavedash, or if they try to attack, or if they continue to shield, or if they jump, etc.
but shhhhh yah this is basically unpunishable as far as i can tell.

or shine
or upsmash
or spotdodge
or up b
what kfc said. reinforcing your worst poster PR hahah
upsmash out of shield is mad frustrating though, sheik can't challenge or out-space it at all, she just has to avoid it

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
wd OOS is totally punishable (sup dash attack)

nothing really is unpunishable in this game, but it is one of the safer things you can do

Kira-

Smash Champion
I will be adopting a new philosophy of smash soon. It will be tested as soon as my classes finish (2 weeks from now)

joeplicate

Smash Master
hyprid

you want to be confident enough to play your best, but humble enough to not get frustrated when you start playing bad

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
ive heard from more than one person that you just gotta keep your chin up

and keep playing the game

and one day you will wake up

get second place at a tournament

and say to yourself

oh i get it now

SuperRad

Smash Master

and say to yourself

oh i get it now
yeah
ive heard that from people

which is stupid
and makes me not want to play

because i hate being not THAT bad somedays and just absolutely awful on other

maybe ill just start practicing tech skill furiously in my room and play fox so im at least able to beat non-spacie noobs

Kira-

Smash Champion
i know if i want to get better i should play with atlus/lovage/pat

they play the game the way it was supposed to be played imo. if im not doing well i actually feel like im getting outplayed rather than outgayed the way i feel when i play in 949

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
@superrad

I usually just try and do things I've been practicing or learning from videos and junk in seriouslies.

I like getting *****.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
i Know If I Want To Get Better I Should Play With Atlus/lovage/pat

They Play The Game The Way It Was Supposed To Be Played Imo. If Im Not Doing Well I Actually Feel Like Im Getting Outplayed Rather Than Outgayed The Way I Feel When I Play In 949
:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Lovage

Smash Hero
kira that's a really bad idea
me atlus and pat (atlus and pat especially) play the game for fun and don't have a lot of competitive drive. i'm not really trying to get better anymore and am bored of socal melee for now...you would be better off playing good, motivated people like connor and zhu

killer tofu

Smash Lord
hate to say this

but the norcal smash scene is soo much better

no more lil kids who can only afford spicy chickens at carls after EVERY tournament

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i know if i want to get better i should play with atlus/lovage/pat

they play the game the way it was supposed to be played imo. if im not doing well i actually feel like im getting outplayed rather than outgayed the way i feel when i play in 949
oscar and pat play pretty gay with me :(

Lovage

Smash Hero
hell no i do not play gay against you
i just try to **** you as hard as possible so you break out of bad habits
i play super aggressive/dumb cuz i want you to learn how to fight against the technicalities of fox before you outsmart him

pat plays hella gay tho

joeplicate

Smash Master

and say to yourself

oh i get it now
that's not really how it happens

it's more like you keep your chin up, and eventually you see the next thing you need to improve on

and then you think "oh, **** yeah, I get it now"

and then you improve (by putting in LOTS of work) until you see the next big thing

Kira-

Smash Champion
joe has it exactly right

i play super aggressive/dumb cuz i want you to learn how to fight against the technicalities of fox before you outsmart him
man i still dont know how to do that
im trying to outsmart something that runs circles around my mindgames

joeplicate

Smash Master
yeah
ive heard that from people

which is stupid
and makes me not want to play

because i hate being not THAT bad somedays and just absolutely awful on other

maybe ill just start practicing tech skill furiously in my room and play fox so im at least able to beat non-spacie noobs
f that

the first thing you need to do to learn how to "play to get better" is caaaaalm down
frustration leads honestly nowhere in this game at all, whatsoever

and the 2nd thing you need to do is open your eyes and start looking at yourself playing. The game is much, much, much more open-ended than most people make it out to be. You don't have to pigeonhole yourself into using the same 3 moves over and over, especially in situations where they don't fit anyways.

the 3rd thing you need to do is play a lot, lol

edit: kira I love you
let's play a lot this summer

joeplicate

Smash Master
usually very fast

it also depends on the character, because the faster their double jump moves up the faster you can waveland and keep your invincibility

fox has a lot of frames if you do it right

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
If I recall correctly, when you grab the ledge you get 38 frames of invincibility, but it's also 7 frames between grabbing the edge and being able to take an action. So you basically have half a second of useable invincibility.

joeplicate

Smash Master
plus, with like marth it takes even longer to get your head above the ledge, so you have to wait longer to waveland for different characters

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
with marth you get enough to get on the stage and scoot forward like 1 character length

playing other games is so legit

i dropped smash for a while and was playing hella 2d fighters

and my marth improved

JDM

Smash Champion
Playing my Fox/Falco made my Marth hella fast.

I got my shine bairs down with my fox 90% of the time with my tournament controller and my waveshines are more fluid now.

I also learned how to wobble, PC Chris ledge grab more consistantly, PC Chris ledge grab fast fall with Marth and how to do a running downsmash.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
i was playing with zhu last night in a rotation and i was all pleased with my ~30% of the time powershields on SHL's, so julian goes marth and starts powershielding ~95% of them

O_O

Top Bottom