• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal: We need a wakeup call.

joeplicate

Smash Master
well, and on the opposite end of the spectrum is m2k, who admitted himself that he had no natural talent for the game at first and was the biggest scrub in the world when he started (and continued to be for awhile then on)

I think that mango just did most of the mental work in the beginning (i.e., getting in the right mindset), and then had nothing holding him back once he started getting good and playing the great players (immediately)

Here's my position: if you work at it (in the right way), you CAN be great at the game

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Definitely.

Most of the top players aren't exactly natural talents. They just understood what it took to be good and worked hard at it. M2K being a great example.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
well, and on the opposite end of the spectrum is m2k, who admitted himself that he had no natural talent for the game at first and was the biggest scrub in the world when he started (and continued to be for awhile then on)
I really don't think you can take M2K's word at that, because he said within the year he started playing (and I mean the calendar year, not actually 12 months -- iirc it was like 8 months; he posted this on his My Space blog so you can prolly read it yourself) he was beating Wes, who is obviously an incredible smasher.

Honestly, you can't get at the top of anything without a lot of natural talent. I'm sure a ton of people could do exactly what M2K did -- learn every single thing about the game down to the frames, practicing hundreds of hours in the process -- and still not be even close to as good as he is. Genetics -- and therefore natural talent -- hold a lot more weight than you're giving. It's science.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/200506/the-grandmaster-experiment

A neuroscientist in Switzerland, Amidzic once aspired to become a professional chess player. He had the "rage to master" and even moved to Russia as a teenager to study intensively with grandmasters. But he reached a plateau at age 23 and had to quit. Reeling from his wrecked dreams, Amidzic went into cognitive science to understand what went wrong. Through the use of brain scans, he discovered a marked difference between grandmasters and highly trained amateur chess players like himself: When grandmasters play chess, the areas responsible for long-term memory and higher-level processing are activated.

Chess titans have anywhere from 20,000 to 100,000 configurations of pieces, or patterns, committed to memory. They are able to quickly pull relevant information from this mammoth database. With a mere glance, a grandmaster can then figure out how the configuration in front of him is likely to play itself out.

Amateurs, by contrast, use short-term memory while playing chess. When they take in new information, it stays in the "small hard drive" of working memory without passing over into the "zip drive" of long-term memory. "Amateurs are overwriting things they've already learned," says Amidzic. "Can you imagine how frustrating that is!"
Just look at the greats in any specific area of life. I can't remember where I read it, but you need thousands of hours to give yourself the potential to be the best at something. Do you really think KDJ, Azen, Mango, etc. practiced for hundreds of hours to be the best? No, that's natural talent. It implies two things: one, that smash isn't as complicated as the players like to think, and two, natural talent wins out. Roughly everyone plays the game for the same amount of time; very few people practice in the way you're supposed to practice, i.e. individually targeting deficiencies in your game. For example, I was playing basketball with my brother, and he ran me through a bunch of drills designed to improve different parts of your game. That's what practice is. How many smashers you think do that?

Exactly, zero. So what floats to the top? Those who pick up on it quickest, i.e. natural talent. I can know more about this game than 99% of anyone who ever picks it up, but unless I practice for hundreds of hours specifically attacking my weaknesses, it's not going to matter, and even if I do, I may still lack the genetic disposition to ever surpass what comes so naturally to the top talents of the game. That's just how it is.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
People interested in factors of success should read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.
i would've expected a more esoteric suggestion from you

i hurrd dat book got problems

the blank slate by steven pinker talks about the whole nature vs nurture thing very well, and while i think his conclusion is too severe -- environment can change a ton of genetic factors, but only through a lot of hard work -- it's definitely closer to the truth than the whole "zomg anyone can be great!" thing we tell ourselves to get to sleep at night

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
socal.

Fresno is the exact center of California. Anything below it is Socal.
No. I am 45 minutes south of Fresno and am very much still in Central California. I would say that anything south of Bakersfield can be generalized as "SoCal", but this issue can be debated endlessly as Kern County is regarded as constituting a portion of Southern California so bleh...

Regardless, its misleading to claim that anything below Fresno is SoCal. Again, I am south of Fresno and it can be attested to that I am a typical, horrendously awkward product of that wondrous Central Valley.

Moo.

I would definitely categorize Barstow as SoCal.

I apologize for the off topic post. It is clear that I have too much time on my hands.

DanteFox

Smash Champion
No. I am 45 minutes south of Fresno and am very much still in Central California. I would say that anything south of Bakersfield can be generalized as "SoCal", but this issue can be debated endlessly as Kern County is regarded as constituting a portion of Southern California so bleh...

Regardless, its misleading to claim that anything below Fresno is SoCal. Again, I am south of Fresno and it can be attested to that I am a typical, horrendously awkward product of that wondrous Central Valley.

Moo.

I would definitely categorize Barstow as SoCal.

I apologize for the off topic post. It is clear that I have too much time on my hands.
Wow, you talk like

For the sake of practicality, there are two parts to california: socal and norcal. There's no cencal pr, so when it comes to the competitive community, yes, there must be a solid divider between north and south, and I think it reasonable for that to be california's exact center.

W.A.S.T.E.

Smash Ace
Wow, you talk like

For the sake of practicality, there are two parts to california: socal and norcal. There's no cencal pr, so when it comes to the competitive community, yes, there must be a solid divider between north and south, and I think it reasonable for that to be california's exact center.
I see. I am a noob. At least now I too am certain of what part of California I pertain to, with regards to Smash, of course.

Also, debilitating late nights/early mornings are liable to make me sound like a highly intelligent, ill-intentioned, mutated monkey. That is to say that my cognitive processes are precariously affected by a lack of consistent dormancy. A product of said lack of sleep is often hypter-articulation dominantly characterized by the composition of egregiously unedited writing. That is to say that... :D

Anyways, this is awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNI6xc-5EJA&feature=related

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
holy ****, shut the **** up about what is southern and what is northern California

get that **** out of here noobs

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
theres this nasty part which is like SLO and everything north of it until you get to like san jose which is just shit cal

cool SLO can be socal
i think moneyheen thinks of himself as norcal
basically if youre there noone likes you and we all ***** your mom so youre both nothing and whatever you want to be at the same time

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
speaking of good

when derek gets back were all going to my house and playing

SUPER TURBO

on my computer

2 sticks

speakers

o.sagat not banned

akuma banned

Kira-

Smash Champion
I really don't think you can take M2K's word at that, because he said within the year he started playing (and I mean the calendar year, not actually 12 months -- iirc it was like 8 months; he posted this on his My Space blog so you can prolly read it yourself) he was beating Wes, who is obviously an incredible smasher.
lol wes sucks

if i won genesis would you change your mind

Top Bottom