• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Power Rankings (October 28, 2007)- Will the update ever happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arash

Smash Lord
agree'd with caotic

regardless of how big the tourney is, beating talented people will get you noticed

Charoo

Smash Champion
I think NCT2 should be an influence, but it shouldn't affect the overall decision completely. However, if say someone like champ, ends up taking out mad counts of NorCals power ranking peeps, but say wolf doesn't, I think it should affect champs position and wolf really shouldn't be affected at all.
Wolf will do well though cause he's wolf =). As for me, I'll be at six flags yay!!!

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because that's one tournament. I think our standards are pretty clear, that we look at consistency as a major factor governing overall placing.

Evilnemesis

Smash Lord
Because that's one tournament. I think our standards are pretty clear, that we look at consistency as a major factor governing overall placing.
Not even, from what I hear is, that in order to get on that list you have to hope you get someone already on that list in your bracket and then win. And even then, you gotta do that at more than one tourament. If you get screwed and get no one on the list yet place high regardless, you still wont make the list. The odds of anyone making the list from tourney results is unlikely. Itll probably be biased in some way

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
A major factor, not the only factor.

And yes, you're right. You have to beat people to get onto the list... OR people on the list have to lose to people who aren't on it. Why is that unfair?

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Because, like I said, one event isn't enough. Consistency counts. Would your event give ammunition to those wanting to move up/onto the list? Of course. Would it alone be enough to make changes? No.

PandaX

Smash Lord
Not even, from what I hear is, that in order to get on that list you have to hope you get someone already on that list in your bracket and then win. And even then, you gotta do that at more than one tourament. If you get screwed and get no one on the list yet place high regardless, you still wont make the list. The odds of anyone making the list from tourney results is unlikely. Itll probably be biased in some way
This logic makes no sense. If you're good enough, you'll proceed to where the pros are, there is no question about that. Good players will advance towards the top all the time. If, in the fight with the top 20, there happens to be a ****** on occurance against someone on the list, it won't go unnoticed.

Arash

Smash Lord
well that, and if enough top 20 people go, then they'll be seeded accordingly and spread out so that to get to the top you'd have to face at least one of them

so then your job would be to make it out to tournaments where you know a lot of skilled people are going. even if you don't place as high as you would have at some other tournament the same day, you'd still fight better people and get better yourself:)

Charoo

Smash Champion
I guess now people would want to have a hard bracket right? I seen people who place well at a tourney but then when you look at their bracket, they didn't fight any1 on the top 20 list at all. That can either be from poor seeding or hardly any top 20 player went to that tourney. The only way is to do well that those players consistenly, and beat them also in that tourney.

Not to be mean or anything but look at the nexus tournament:

Evilnemesis place 7th and so did Wolf

Then you look at the bracket and you see that the only people that Evilnemesis fought; 2 people was on the top 20 ranking; Champ and DSF

Then you look at Wolf, he fought Ken, Panda, Arash, and Mike Y

Evilnemesis lost to both Champ and DSF, but Wolf lost to Ken and Mike Y but beat Arash and Panda.

Even though they both placed 7th, their bracket, as you can see, are completely different. Wolf's bracket shows that he is indeed top 20, and Evilnemesis shows that he's not quite there yet but his skill improved.

So placing itself just doesn't cut it anymore. It's also who you defeated at that tournament too.

nublet06

Smash Lord
what araknophobic is describing....already happens nearly every saturday. its called a tournament. like people said......if you win your matches, you will make it to the top where most of these players are always located. all you are really asking for is an easy bracket at the start.....and then fighting the ranked people after. the only problem is.......you probly struggle agaisnt alot of the unranked players too. because socal really could have a top 30 list with all the great players we have out here. plus the people that might not of been that great iun the past......are tryin a lot harder. so this noob bracket you are asking for isnt going to be easy anyway.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I pulled a Bomb + 4 stitchfaces all in a row against Edrees, I am automatically god tier

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
I pulled a Bomb + 4 stitchfaces all in a row against Edrees, I am automatically god tier
no it just mean's you are obviously turning gayer. Mikael does the same, but he pulls out a 5th stich face when he does his ball grabbing dance :cool:

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Peach players unite!

I notice that if I get a stitchface or a bomb, I tend to get a bunch in the same match. That is, I tend to either get 3+ stitchfaces/bombs or none at all.

Anyone else follow this line of thinking?

I'm gonna lose 30 pounds and bust Ken's peach theory.

BeatOfAzia

Smash Apprentice
LoL why iz this thread so funny?! haha peach theory... danggg i wanna be on that list... i must prove myself!! ^_^

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Scamp - Same here! Someone must figure out the formula and technique for pulling out successive stitches! I'll pay them watever

BoA - you were soooo close :)

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
I have a couple of questions:

I definately don't think I'm deserving of top 20. I never really take out anyone on that list (lately) in tournaments. But in 2 tournaments, I was taken out by the same player twice, and both were Marth players and both were people who most people on that list couldn't beat themselves. Like at Champ Combo, I lost to Taj in winners and then I lost to him again in losers. Then at Nexus, I lost to Mike Y in winners and lost to him again in losers. I was just curious as to how the panelists look at that. I think most anyone on that list would have lost to Taj and Mike Y if they had to face them too.

Another thing I wanted to know if you were considering was if you look at how people perform in a set, or in individual matches?

I also wanted to know how you guys look at the players people use in comparison to where they are on the tier list. Like, let's say there was a Fox player and a Dr. Mario player whose position was too close to call. Would you give the higer spot to the Dr. Mario player because he has a harder time against the higer tier characters?

Lastly, I wanted to know how you look at players who don't play seriously at every tournament. Some people play around more and are less competitive, but when they have to step it up, play much better. How do you look at players who are really good when they have to be, but play around more at tournaments and don't rank as well as they potentially could if they really tried?

This isn't a campaign for me to be on the list. I just wanted to give you guys some more things to think about so when the next list comes out, it can be more accurate and more people will know why they didn't make the cut. The more information we have, and the more angles that are looked at will make this thing as accurate as possible and hopefully will reduce johning.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
mmmm thanks socal for coming to nct2 despite the questionable organization. i didn't really get to play anyone but aesis, who probably doesn't remember me. your sheik is good aesis xD good games.

major congrats to ken, watching that marth live is nothing short of amazing..

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
We're making a post NCT2 update now, it'll be up soon. Dunno how often, I guess when the list needs changes for now. I'll use the other forums to post tournament results.

araknophobik

Smash Master
hey caotic can you post me the link to the other forum?
i would always use your sig for it, and now its gone :(

p.s. neighborhood P is too funny when he's angry >=0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom