• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

Adam M!

Smash Lord
if the rankings exists to promote competition, and to give people an incentive to improve, putting top 25 is a great idea.
this. it's up to the panel to decide what the rankings are for. and what they should be for is for what is the best for the community.

that is a difficult question to answer, but i do think it's closer to a top 25 (extrinsic motivation) rather than a top 15 (accuracy).

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
socal is a strong enough region that we dont have to go out of our way to fill up a pr
anything more than a top 10 is either a shoutout to the homies that are almost ranked
or its just rewarding people for not making it into top 10/15

pockyD

Smash Legend
socal is a strong enough region that we dont have to go out of our way to fill up a pr
anything more than a top 10 is either a shoutout to the homies that are almost ranked
or its just rewarding people for not making it into top 10/15
why shouldn't they be 'rewarded'?

just rank as many as you feel you can accurately rank

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
why shouldn't they be 'rewarded'?

just rank as many as you feel you can accurately rank
how good is 'good?'
imo rankings should represent a list of peeps who have a reasonable shot of ending up in the money

why go lower than that? if youre not in the money.... idk

pockyD

Smash Legend
how good is 'good?'
imo rankings should represent a list of peeps who have a reasonable shot of ending up in the money
there are many other reasons to do rankings

like to show any reader from another region how a player stands relative to some baseline that foreign player may have (i.e. if the only socal player they've ever played is lovage, they'd have a decent idea of where the other socal players stand but comparing them to him)

or helping the members of your own community gauge their improvement, or at least the community's perception of their improvement

Little England

Smash Master
Purdue, W Lafayette IN Rancho Cucamonga, SoCal
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=85453&highlight=power+rankings

I'm with Atlus on that. The only people winning money back in the day were DSF, and HugS (when he went to stuff). However, we knew that there were plenty other notable players: Mango, Knives, Edrees, Lucky, BoA, DEHF etc etc.

Obviously, a few of these people stuck around and shot up in skill level, so I think the PR can also serve the purpose of watching the advancement of (a) lower ranked player(s).

I'm on the fence about the PR, but I think I'm leaning towards 20. We should just see how that works out before jumping to 25. I also think we should show each player's location like SoCal used to do back in the day and NorCal currently does.

LuCKy

Smash Master
mannn on the last rankings i was waiting for them to update it lol i remember one of the panelists saying id be top 5 or even 4th maybe . . . .so gay >.>

but nah knives sucks lol

Alex19

Smash Journeyman
mannn on the last rankings i was waiting for them to update it lol i remember one of the panelists saying id be top 5 or even 4th maybe . . . .so gay >.>

but nah knives sucks lol
they should put me above joey hahahahah jk

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
like to show any reader from another region how a player stands relative to some baseline that foreign player may have (i.e. if the only socal player they've ever played is lovage, they'd have a decent idea of where the other socal players stand but comparing them to him)
im down with that

unknownPresence

Smash Ace
pocky - yep :) im surprised how much response i got XD

s2j - i think i have no match wins against ranked players, but i have game wines. ive taken larry, steven, tofu, you, and macd to game 3 but that doesnt say much.

superrad - haha i remember that match, and i want a rm as a marth player sheik was my worse enemy but i somewhat know it now!!!

LuCKy

Smash Master
nah i was just kiddin lol i wouldnt be surprised if hes still pretty good

especially with the cool way he held his controller lol

omgwtfToph

Smash Master
pocky - yep :) im surprised how much response i got XD

s2j - i think i have no match wins against ranked players, but i have game wines. ive taken larry, steven, tofu, you, and macd to game 3 but that doesnt say much.

superrad - haha i remember that match, and i want a rm as a marth player sheik was my worse enemy but i somewhat know it now!!!
Are you that dude that I 4-stocked while I was warming up at TP5? o.o

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
what if hypothetically in game 2 one of the players suicides 3 times(near 0%) but still manages to bring the other player down to the last stock at a high percent. Even if he gets 2-0ed that would still be impressive(and not ****) IMO

Lanstar

Smash Journeyman
nearly coming back 1 stock vs 4 stocks is impressive(IMO)

this topic is completely subjective anyway there really isn't a right or wrong answer -.-

Top Bottom