• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee PR 12/29/2013 Update

embracethe12

Smash Lord
Little england
ever since your avatar change i've been reading your posts less and less
i don't know why
has nothing to do with your avatar
that's just the point i started

Kira-

Smash Champion
This needs tobe a top 15, really.
i agree, i think it should be made after pats house, atlus thinks that's too soon but I don't see any better time to do it than after a major tournament like this. Plus if we follow our update every two months rule like we seem to be doing then we're only a couple weeks early.

do not rank me until i can prove myself
iono man, you're pretty consistent not losing to anyone but ranked people so you'll probably have to be on it. unless you lost to someone yesterday that i wasn't aware of

oh yeah and we need new panelists? or are we just swapping atlus for hugo?

Adam M!

Smash Lord
god every time i look at this list it makes me cringe

why in the world is larry 4th

Adam M!

Smash Lord
why would you update every two months? that doesn't even make sense. every 3 months = the year is split into quarters. every two months = the year is split in sixths? LOL

GSUB

Smash Lord
every month = the year is split in twelfths!
/math

I'm wondering though, would updating the PR monthly be a bad thing (feel free to say yes).
One benefit is increased competition.
Support with more positives or negatives.(I'm sure there's tons of + and - I'm overlooking, probably more -)

Adam M!

Smash Lord
the more often you update it, the less validity it has because the more you are willingly allowing more variance to enter the equation

basically pocky said what i said but i had this page open for awhile and didn't see his post

GSUB

Smash Lord
I see.
But wouldn't it matter less because it would be updated a month later anyway, and be set straight?
And whoever lost to the fluke would make sure they do their best to reclaim their spot, and the person who got that spot would try harder to keep it.
All around making everyone try harder.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Then you'd be sacrificing accuracy in an effort to make people try harder, which shouldn't be the fundamental goal of a PR.

pockyD

Smash Legend
basically pocky said what i said
actually you said what i said, not vice versa

I see.
But wouldn't it matter less because it would be updated a month later anyway, and be set straight?
And whoever lost to the fluke would make sure they do their best to reclaim their spot, and the person who got that spot would try harder to keep it.
All around making everyone try harder.
not necessarily, because you're assuming that a different fluke result wouldn't happen in that next time period

frequent updates are useless if you are conceding in advance that they aren't very accurate

GSUB

Smash Lord
Fly is right.
I forgot the main point of a PR is to accurately show who is the best in a region.

If we wanted something to increase try-hardedness, it would have to be something else I guess.
I would like to see something like that though, to get more people motivated.

Kira-

Smash Champion
people motivate themselves

if you aren't traveling to a tournament every weekend you probably play more for fun than for serious

Adam M!

Smash Lord
hey man, you can't do anything to motivate people. they do it on their own accord. it's really just a matter of priorties

actually you said what i said, not vice versa
:chuckle:

goddammit i need to refreshj threads before i reply

HugS™

Smash Lord
Well, updating the PR monthly wouldn't be such a bad idea for the current mindset of the panel.
It seems that the main purpose of the panel has been to reflect the performances of players during a particular period, irrelevant of previous periods.

Now, if the purpose is to reflect the abilities of players as an asset to our region in competition on all levels, then the periods should span 2-3 months, take previous rankings into consideration, and not punish players directly for decreased activity.

Basically, most PR's do the noob thing and rank performances, not players. It's like they just start fresh every single period. Socal included.

Lovage

Smash Hero
so are we going to change the criteria of a players rankings to more than just tournament results? (wins/losses)
this is a good idea if we have a panel of active players

Top Bottom