• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

joeplicate

Smash Master
it used to be like, whenever I would slack off or not do reading I would get hard on myself and think like "what the **** am I doing here"

now it's like, I don't do anything really
and I'm just like
"what the ****"

DanteFox

Smash Champion
the first colleges in the US were founded for the sole purpose of learning. A person could just go there and leave when they felt like they had learned enough for the day. Now they're businesses. It's all about how much money you have and how you can make the school look better. Don't even get me started on the current youth's outlook on college. Kids see college as a means to an end: money (which, in all fairness, is exactly what it has become), but even then, some of them even lose sight of that, and see college as the last escape from adulthood, going so far as to go to grad school simply to prolong having to enter the real world and look for jobs.

But that's just my opinion.

nicaboy

Smash Champion
I hate school in general. I go just because i know it will benifit ME in the end. I hear what you saying dante but you got do what you gotta do in todays world. Where would we be without education? Its hard out there without furthering you education . Even if its has become more of a business type place than just going to learn.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Thats one reason I would stay longer[maybe].

@joe I kinda went through the same thing. I tried, did soooo much **** in HS, got into colleges but then I went to college it was ok, then I played hella smash and I just wanted to chill and have no responsibilities again.

I stopped buying texts books and was just like why am I even here. I dont even know what I want to do and im not even goin to class that much in the first place. UW was just trying to take my money so Im like **** it ill keep it.

pockyD

Smash Legend
hey, i learned plenty in college

maybe it's become a business, but supply and demand is what drives up the quality of education in some places, which is how we can get PROGRESS

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
and there's nothing wrong with free market capitalism. I just wish colleges would stop trying to hide the business angle that drives their decisions.
I dont really think they hide the business aspect, its one of those things that are implied nowdays and as a good business its just not good to talk about lock and key business in front of customers.
hey, i learned plenty in college

maybe it's become a business, but supply and demand is what drives up the quality of education in some places, which is how we can get PROGRESS
The quality of education is really important so if that is the end result of the business aspect im all for it.

The reason I feel I wasnt learning anything was just that I realized that I prefer smaller discussion groups and didnt like being a number out of 700. I think that was more or less because I wanted to be competitve in the classes and knew that I could but I didnt want to be the douche asking questions every five minutes. Its superficial but true:(

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Wow alot of you make good points about education. Im pleased to see that . Hey kaostar you say farewell to ka master yet?
Yea we had that little smashfest and everything. It was pretty tight. Gotta head up to cali before this weekend is up so I can get an ID/drivers license in case I want to get residency if I choose to stay out there.

bbb

Smash Champion
Ever since high school ended, my daily activity has been so free form, even with college

also Vince from The Mighty Boosh looks a lot like Joe, I think

joeplicate

Smash Master
post it up in the movie thread, please

I'm so sick of that michael cera *** got

I don't know
I guess "college" is a place where you're supposed to like trip out over your identity, and that's what I'm sticking to now

there's this one popular girl who went to my high school who joined a sorority here, and every time I see her I'm just like "man, isn't that what this should be like?"

and then I sort of get in a rut for a couple days

plus I've been as lazy as ever
senioritis doesn't just magically go away (get ***** mio you fat dumb d!ck)
so overall I'm feeling really stretched out and unambitious

I don't know

bbb

Smash Champion
don't put too much pressure on yourself

self examination is great and all that but things like this can happen lots of different ways, just do it how you want, as long as you're learning what you want to learn its all good

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Im having mixed feelings on ambition. Like I wanna get better at smash even tho that wont help me in life. I wanna get a job and make money but I also want to be in school, but I dont want to go to school.

I think Im pretty sure I know who I am but I need a change in environment to be sure. I wish something just ****ing tight would just fall into my lap and fix everything. like winning the lottery or something. [but im too lazy to play :(]

festizzio

Smash Champion
i ****ing hate having a job AND going to school

i could do SO much better in school if i didn't have to spend so much time at work

MacD

Banned via Administration
see, depending on units/class, i htink 15-20 hours isn't that bad to work a week, work sunday and 2 other days

but i agree about being lazy in school, now i'm just aiming for a C in writing which is the lowest passing grade in that classs

embracethe12

Smash Lord
Never aim for a C

just discipline yourself to never get a D or lower.

then up the antie (i dunno this spelling)

hopefully i'll hit the point where i consider a C failing, soon

MacD

Banned via Administration
well i guess my technical goal is to not get below a C, i was orignially aiming for that A- again

but the teacher is stupid and i keep missing assignments cause i'm busy with school or he just doesn't tell us about them... like yesterday i was busy from 12:30pm-10:30pm with no real break, writing is in the middle of that and i find out at 8:30 we have an assignment due at 10pm, he accepts no late work

nicaboy

Smash Champion
cant wait til you get here then bro. actualy im going to the dmv this week to hopefuly get my license. it would be funny if we ran into too each other lol.

Jagerbombz

Smash Rookie
Never aim for a C

just discipline yourself to never get a D or lower.

then up the antie (i dunno this spelling)

hopefully i'll hit the point where i consider a C failing, soon
god **** it you always have the best avatars

seriously though, if I was ever invited back to my high school to give words of wisdom to the up-and-comers, it would be something like senioritis doesn't just leave, that **** will **** you up until forever

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I'd tell them to brush their teeth
protects against that ninjavitus.

It seems like if you arent super committed then you wont do well. EVeryone wants to do well but for me it always comes down to effort. Should I play a few games of smash or start this essay. I always choose the right one and do my essay later tho.

@nicaB- yea it would be hella funny if I ran into you up there. I dont know if I have to take some sort of test to get a license out there as well. I just know that Im not taking my WA one as proof of ID cuz theyll jus take it.

Top Bottom