• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I'm really starting to hate my current controller and I want to repair my old one. Does anybody have any recommendations for what I should do about a faulty analog stick?

Jun.

Smash Lord
seriously people used to just call me junk all the time back in diablo/cs days. I guess to non korean people they see JUNK before the big picture.

Lovage

Smash Hero
I'm really starting to hate my current controller and I want to repair my old one. Does anybody have any recommendations for what I should do about a faulty analog stick?
if you have a problem with the sensitivity or drift of your stick you can't do anything about it.

if it's just the rubber pad on top being too worn out or ripped you can replace it easily.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
It is a drift issue, but I think I found an alternative option. It's possible to replace the L-trigger of one controller with that of another, right? The controller I used before my most recent wonky one worked well except for the L-trigger, so I think what I'm going to do is take that controller's L-trigger and replace it with that of the controller with the control stick issues, in which case the end product should work fine.

Lovage

Smash Hero
yeah you can do that, i think all you need to replace is the spring inside the trigger but might as well replace the trigger as well. you need two screwdrivers to do that though, the triwing to open the controller and a regular small phillips head to open up the trigger boxes.

are the two controllers the same color? it should work fine but some old controllers are slightly different on the inside (like having a metal vs. plastic control box) idk if the trigger boxes are different or not

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Okay, thanks. Both controllers are black and were made at roughly the same time, so I'm guessing their parts will be compatible with each other.

Jun.

Smash Lord
just curious but how long do you guys take to get used to a new controller? I'm assuming the longer you've had a certain controller the longer it would take to be comfortable with a new one.

I used to think that the new white ones were way too stiff for new school fox players but then players like sfat came along and played just fine on one so I've come to not have any bias on controler build and color whatsoever.

Jun.

Smash Lord
then you're saying sfat plays like chillin?

I am just referring to fox players who are up to date with current fox tech which I'm sure Zach is. Am I wrong?

WHA?

Smash Ace
yeah you can do that, i think all you need to replace is the spring inside the trigger but might as well replace the trigger as well. you need two screwdrivers to do that though, the triwing to open the controller and a regular small phillips head to open up the trigger boxes.

are the two controllers the same color? it should work fine but some old controllers are slightly different on the inside (like having a metal vs. plastic control box) idk if the trigger boxes are different or not
just to help out
if the l trigger is the prob, it can be either
-the spring
-the rubber part that makes it touch the motherboard of the controller (BLUE) ~if its broken u gotta replace
-those little sticks that go on the mobo itslelf (RED) ~i put 2 drops of alcohol in the gaps and moved the sticks up and down while blowing on it
-circuit thingy that registers (YELLOW) ~clean it i guess

oh and since im at it, does anyone know how to tell if the controller is old skool, without having to open it up?
i want an old one that doesnt have the little box for the l and r triggers

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
In controller news, I'm no longer comfortable with the feel of my older almost functional controller, so I probably will abandon the plan of replacing its L-trigger and spring. I think I'm gradually starting to get accustomed to my new controller, although it still bothers me quite a bit. Earlier today, I tried using my incredibly janky controller that developed terrible drift issues in late 2007 for ****s and giggles and, amusingly enough, it worked perfectly. I would definitely start using it again if not for the big risk of drift issues resurfacing.

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
that's not Fly. The Fly I know wouldn't have said "for ****s and giggles"!!!!

what's wrong with your new controller? is it just not broken in yet?

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I probably say "for ****s and giggles" once every couple months, although by making this post I'm messing up that statistic.

I don't like my current controller's Y and L. The Y is kind of stiff and I miss more short hops than I typically do otherwise. I also think it's to blame for me doing stupid things like jumping when I try to wavedash, although I suppose that could also be the L-trigger. Something about the Z button bugs me, too, although I don't think it's actually caused me any problems.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
I played Manufactoria for at least 4 hours today. I have 3/4 of the levels complete. I have noticed though that the way the game tests your program is incomplete and I have found designs that fail on certain inputs but nonetheless satisfy the test. I have what I think is a clever solution to the "Rocket Planes" level but I'm wondering if there is a more elegant one.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I haven't solved that level yet, but I'll let you know if whatever I eventually come up with isn't totally hideous. Efficiency isn't exactly my forte, though, so chances are it'll be a mess.

Top Bottom