• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
how the fighting stick feel? i heard the fighting stick is made from MadCatz which i"m kinda ehh about it
It feels really good. Well worth the money IMO.

My friend got the tournament edition while mine is the limited regular edition. The tournament edition's buttons/stick supposedly feel better/reactive (tbh, I didn't notice much difference) and is bigger/heavier... the one I have is smaller with a nicer artwork (IMO). Also, unlike the tournament edition, it has a slight slant on the bottom which makes playing VERY comfortably mainly because you can rest your wrist on it.

Personally, I prefer the one I have. It rests on my lap easier due to it's light weight (I can enjoy using it while lying down on my bed). The tournament edition is a bit too heavy so I feel that I have to have it rest on a hard surface to use it.

The downside though is the wire. Constantly wrapping it around is a pain in the ***, especially when you want to take it out of the house. The tournament edition has a place to put the wire so you don't have to waste time wrapping it up each time your done playing. I'm sure there are some more features that the tournament edition has over the limited edition but I don't really know anymore than this.

Anyway, both are amazing and if you're lucky enough to get a chance to buy either one of them, take it. They are both worth it IMO.

DJMirror

Smash Master
Another thing i heard was that both sticks are easy to customize the stick and stuff but other then that I'm looking for one on ebay right now sound like Madcatz is stepping it up on their product

thanks for letting me know how it feels lol

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
Yeah, you can customize the stick though I personally love the Japanese stick way more than the American one. Needless to say that this Arcade stick was PERFECT for me lol.

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
buy a hori
they are really legit
if you have 200+ to spend
look up byrdo's customs

i have a $50 hori, square gate, lolipop stick, with the good buttons
it *****

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
The tournament edition SF4 Arcade Stick is probably the best arcade stick out right now with it's authentic Sanwa components. The regular SF4 Arcade fightstick is just as good (if not better) than any Hori stick IMO (they both **** though).

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Jeez the mods suck. Closing down my topic. >:O

"It belongs in the pool room."

Yeah, except PACWEST DOESN'T HANG OUT THERE!!!!

>:O
And that is my fault? There are a lot of other good parts of the boards other than the regional and tourney threads.

HugS™

Smash Lord
And that is my fault? There are a lot of other good parts of the boards other than the regional and tourney threads.
Yeah but I guess his point was that we don't really care to know the origin of the names of people we don't know.

We care to know the origins of the names of people we actually socialize with in person, so he posts the thread in the PacWest room.

I really don't see what's so wrong about that.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
I understand that it is much more specified back here, but by allowing threads like that in every region would essentially nullify why we have the Creative Minds, Pool Room, Media Metropolis, etc. Not everything on the forum can be specialized for every region. If you guys want to know things like how you got your screen names you could make an AIM, Xat or IRC chat. Even write on some one's wall or send them a PM (which people do to me all the time). Yes, it's not as quick as a thread, but it's less spam and greatly reduces the clutter on the boards.

I would recommend strolling around the boards: there are a lot of good rooms that typically don't catch the eye at first but are very entertaining.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I understand that it is much more specified back here, but by allowing threads like that in every region would essentially nullify why we have the Creative Minds, Pool Room, Media Metropolis, etc. Not everything on the forum can be specialized for every region. If you guys want to know things like how you got your screen names you could make an AIM, Xat or IRC chat. Even write on some one's wall or send them a PM (which people do to me all the time). Yes, it's not as quick as a thread, but it's less spam and greatly reduces the clutter on the boards.

I would recommend strolling around the boards: there are a lot of good rooms that typically don't catch the eye at first but are very entertaining.
Yes, it's obviously more effective for 100 people to send 100 PM's than to have a single thread about it

People who post in the regional forums and nowhere else do this because they are here to connect with their real life community, not to meet random joes from wisconsin or nebraska and find out what types of cheese they like.

A name thread encourages, grows, and tightens the community. It is in no way comparable to something that could be done in another room.

Are you going to find and close the Pac West online gaming thread too? The "who inspired you" thread? Half the threads concerning genesis?

Virgilijus

BRoomer
The regional threads were designed to make it easier to find people in your region (hence why the 4 area code threads are still up), regional ranking threads and tourney threads. They weren't designed to be social rooms. But there are social rooms, though many people refuse to use them. If you don't ever want to talk to people from the Midwest, that's your prerogative. But the social rooms aren't confined to one region and by refusing to post there you severely limit the amount of acceptable social threads you can post in without getting infracted. If you want to talk to Pac West people there is always AIM.

And you guys all ready have enough casual talk in every one of the tourney threads, ranking threads (including this one), state threads and other miscellaneous threads that always have sporadic (or in some cases constant) streams of spam in them. The excuse "this strengthens the community" falls a little flat when it's the 20th thread that has essentially the same thing in it: casual talk amongst the region.

pockyD

Smash Legend
The regional threads were designed to make it easier to find people in your region (hence why the 4 area code threads are still up), regional ranking threads and tourney threads. They weren't designed to be social rooms. But there are social rooms, though many people refuse to use them. If you don't ever want to talk to people from the Midwest, that's your prerogative. But the social rooms aren't confined to one region and by refusing to post there you severely limit the amount of acceptable social threads you can post in without getting infracted. If you want to talk to Pac West people there is always AIM.
"Regional Zones
Discussion for topics relating to your region."

Ambiguous enough

And you guys all ready have enough casual talk in every one of the tourney threads, ranking threads (including this one), state threads and other miscellaneous threads that always have sporadic (or in some cases constant) streams of spam in them. The excuse "this strengthens the community" falls a little flat when it's the 20th thread that has essentially the same thing in it: casual talk amongst the region.
How is it spam?

It's a topical thread, where almost every reply is related to the OP in some way.

If you REALLY wanted to enforce that, you'd close threads like this one, which are the generic, free-flowing type

Not that you should, because really, you're out of your element. The reason we have mods that are from the region is that they understand the community... I don't see why someone from Tennessee is telling us how to act around each other

Do we not remember the FDV incident?

Virgilijus

BRoomer
This thread is about Power Rankings. The amount of posts that don't correlate to them is remarkable.

And me not being from the Pac West is completely mute. If some one spams in here or in Australia, it's still spam. If some one censor dodges, it's still a censor dodge. I have certain jurisdiction here and I'm going to enforce it. Otherwise, the only people that could ever enforce any rules in a region would be people from that region: not even Kirby King or Scav or JV could because they aren't from here. I infract poor posts, regardless of where they are: it's my job. That is not to say we don't make mistakes, but there is little argument on most infractions because most are very clear cut.

And you forget I am not telling you how to interact with your friends, only that you can't use certain words and must stay on topic when you do. Not every room is suitable for every conversation and I'm here to help enforce that. I've given several places where you can which is helping interaction more so than stymieing it.

pockyD

Smash Legend
This thread is about Power Rankings. The amount of posts that don't correlate to them is remarkable.
that's because this thread isn't about power rankings

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=220631

then again, if you didn't only randomly come in when you were bored, you might know that

And me not being from the Pac West is completely mute.
yes, you SHOULD be "mute" about it

If some one spams in here or in Australia, it's still spam. If some one censor dodges, it's still a censor dodge.
Like I said, anything that can be enforced uniformly is fine with me. We're all equally capable of determining what a swear word is.

I have certain jurisdiction here and I'm going to enforce it. Otherwise, the only people that could ever enforce any rules in a region would be people from that region: not even Kirby King or Scav or JV could because they aren't from here. I infract poor posts, regardless of where they are: it's my job. That is not to say we don't make mistakes, but there is little argument on most infractions because most are very clear cut.
On the other hand, when you try to determine whether things are "topical" or "relevant" in a community's board, it really really helps if you are part of that community. As such, I do believe that the only people that SHOULD ever enforce such rules in a region would be people from that region.

And you forget I am not telling you how to interact with your friends, only that you can't use certain words and must stay on topic when you do.
that thread was more topical than 90% of the threads on the forums.

Not every room is suitable for every conversation and I'm here to help enforce that. I've given several places where you can which is helping interaction more so than stymieing it.
...and we have all explained multiple times how this room IS suitable for that conversation.

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
This thread isn't about power rankings. People just like to talk here because we are part of a community. If we were to go to a social room we would be talking to people from the other side of the country, and they wouldn't really understand the "culture" of socal, and visa versa

And me not being from the Pac West is completely mute. If some one spams in here or in Australia, it's still spam. If some one censor dodges, it's still a censor dodge. I have certain jurisdiction here and I'm going to enforce it. Otherwise, the only people that could ever enforce any rules in a region would be people from that region: not even Kirby King or Scav or JV could because they aren't from here. I infract poor posts, regardless of where they are: it's my job. That is not to say we don't make mistakes, but there is little argument on most infractions because most are very clear cut.
I agree with infracting worthless and stupid posts(SPAM), but we just like to talk, and that may include spam sometimes. We aren't hurting anybody by spamming. It needs a little bit of moderation, but god forbid every spam posts earns an infraction.

Virgilijus

BRoomer
yes, you SHOULD be "mute" about it
I don't think we need to resort to insults to achieve a point.

On the other hand, when you try to determine whether things are "topical" or "relevant" in a community's board, it really really helps if you are part of that community. As such, I do believe that the only people that SHOULD ever enforce such rules in a region would be people from that region.
SWF rules state these those type of threads aren't allowed (Birthday Threads, posting sing lyrics). those aren't my rules or the regional mods rules, those are the administrator's rules. The administrators entrusted me and the regional mods for enforcing them. I am. I know my bounds on what is smack talk and what is flaming. however, you don't see all of what I do and do not see, so you don't have a good as grasp as I do on what my actions are in here. I know what is relevant to the regional boards (as I also look at every regional board) and there isn't preferential treatment into what is dealt with. However, the finer details of that are not for you to know.

that thread was more topical than 90% of the threads on the forums.
That doesn't change the fact that said thread is filled with spam. If everyone steals $5 and you steal $1, that doesn't make you exempt.
...and we have all explained multiple times how this room IS suitable for that conversation.
This thread is still open, yet you complain about my closing everything.

pockyD

Smash Legend
I don't think we need to resort to insults to achieve a point.
How was that an insult?

SWF rules state these those type of threads aren't allowed (Birthday Threads, posting sing lyrics). those aren't my rules or the regional mods rules, those are the administrator's rules. The administrators entrusted me and the regional mods for enforcing them. I am. I know my bounds on what is smack talk and what is flaming. however, you don't see all of what I do and do not see, so you don't have a good as grasp as I do on what my actions are in here. I know what is relevant to the regional boards (as I also look at every regional board) and there isn't preferential treatment into what is dealt with. However, the finer details of that are not for you to know.
...so how does a 'where did your name come from' thread fall under the category of birthdays or song lyrics? Maybe because some people get their names from song lyrics? Or maybe because they have birthdays?

That doesn't change the fact that said thread is filled with spam. If everyone steals $5 and you steal $1, that doesn't make you exempt.
it's NOT filled with spam; it's almost 100% topical; you can't argue that. If you want to argue that the topic itself is mislocated, that's the source of our disagreement.

This thread is still open, yet you complain about my closing everything.
...did I?

Top Bottom