• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

JDM

Smash Champion
That youtuber with that combo video also has new forward vs taj matches if you havent seen them.

Celph

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha, Deltron 3030 is so high school.

Sophomore year, summer school... Memories.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
dangerdoom is pretty legit.

but whenever i think of MF Doom, I think of Ghostface, and stop listenign to MF to go listen to Ghostface instead.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
That youtuber with that combo video also has new forward vs taj matches if you havent seen them.
For future reference, that YouTuber is me.

Btw, yeah, Forward's blog was pretty deep.

And it was about Grand Finals at ACMM4 against Taj, so that makes it awesomer and Smash-related.

JDM

Smash Champion
I actually read that blog before I saw any of the tourney sets between him and taj.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
ill post it as soon as you post the jaketheboy videos from san diego :chuckle:

JDM

Smash Champion
Do it. I haven't been in a atlus montage yet and I have been to 3 tournies that you were recording things but never put up a montage for that ;_;

-Rei-

Saviour of PacWest
lol. jdm ive been in 2 of them randomly standing there or something

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
jwkirby-

I am insulted that you even bothered to watch more than one clip. I simply saw the title, clicked on the video, rated it one star, and posted it here telling people to rate it one star.

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
where is this blog?

edit - someone post
http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=48422475&blogID=468216196

forward said:
It was the grand finals. I sent Taj to the loser’s bracket earlier. After that, he played non-stop, practicing for our rematch. “He’ll burn himself out,” I thought. I decided I would conserve my energy. I talked with the players and watched some matches, confident in my ability to win. As Taj came nearer, I knew it was time to warm up. I played roughly 6 matches. It wasn’t enough to get me warmed up, but I didn’t know that at the time.

We played our first match, a ditto. I won our first set in that same match up, I was sure I could win. I was wrong. Taj didn’t burn himself out, he was a beast, single mindedly intent on making me his prey. He made a mockery of my so-called game. He called every move, reacted faster on every corner, never giving me room to breathe.

I didn’t have the power to fight him. I tried another character, thinking he would be unfamiliar with the match up. I started the second match taking an early lead. It didn’t last. As I struggled to find the openings, any opportunity I took was quickly closed. I had weaknesses, he exposed them and took full advantage, showing no remorse for my humility.

By the third match of the set, I had given up. “It’s not worth it to try and win this set,” I thought. “He’s already up 2 games, if I give up one game then the set starts over. Better to save your energy and use it for the next set.” My hands swept through the motions of playing while void of thought. I hoped Taj would pick up on false habits so that I could counter them during the next set. He wins easily. The set is over, and the final set begins.

The first match was no different. He won, soundly. “I know I can beat him,” I thought, “I watched him play, I know what he’s capable of and know I’m on a higher level.” Just knowing, however, is not enough, I had yet to take action.

The second match I once again changed characters, opting to use a character I had beaten him with in another tournament. Having the advantage in the match, I felt confident, I thought for sure this would be my win. The match starts and I take the lead, he quickly retaliates and ties it back. “I know I can do this. Just play it safe and remember how to win, and don’t push yourself into taking unnecessary risks.” I once again take the lead, and push it even further. I’m now leading the match, 3 lives to 1. “Finally,” I thought, “I’m going to win a match.” Don’t count your chickens before they hatch, ladies and gentlemen, it wasn’t over. Taj was down, but he was not out. He quickly took my first life, cutting the lead 2 to 1, and then takes the next life. We are 1 to 1, the match got real again. He lands a clean hit and the questions of the guessing game begin racing through my mind. Which way is he going? Will he retreat or take the risk? Where is my escape route? Can I attack yet? At each decision, I was wrong. It felt like an eternity of bad choices, always on my trail. No sooner than had I taken the lead that it was gone. I fail to recover, I lose my final life and the game is called. “So Cal special,” Taj says to himself.

I lose hope, I no longer think I can win. Down in the set 2-0, I need to win three games straight to win the tournament. Reality sets in, I can’t do it. “I’ve lost,” I thought, “I know I can win, I just can’t do it right now. I have no motivation.” I glance at my phone, lying on the floor by my feet, “where’s that girl, with her uplifting text messages, inspiring me to reach greater things in my life... Not here, I guess.” I look at the screen a little longer, contemplating on the next stage to battle. “I won 2 matches on PS in our first set, I guess I’ll try that stage again,” I think to myself. “Pokémon stadium,” I tell Taj.

“Ok,” he replies. I switch back to my main character, Marth. He is my dedication and practice, not just over the last two months, but the cumulative knowledge of 7 years study, and the strategies I have learned from the greatest players all over the world. “It’s now or never,” I tell myself.

The match begins, and I’m starting to feel it. I transcend my physical body and become one with the game. The game feels as I feel, sees as I see, and believes as I believe because I make it so. It has been so long since I have truly connected, to any music or game or sport or person. I lose control over my physical body. No doubt, people are smirking at the hanging jaw in my gamer face, and holding their laughter back as I sway my head and body with the movements of my character, but I can’t think about that right now, not if I want to win.

I win my first match, and return to reality. “I’m still here,” I thought, noticing that my breathing has become shallow and rapid, probably due to the adrenaline.

“**** dude, that was so sick,” Jade says.
“Yeah man, that was ****in crazy,” Enrique says. They both offer a fist pound to congratulate me on my victory. I oblige. Taj counter picks FD, his favorite and strongest stage, the only stage he beat me on in our winners bracket encounter. Little did he know that I held back during that match, offering him the win to give him false confidence.

Here, my memory begins to fade. I must have been so lost in the match that I can’t recall any conscious thoughts that I had. I won the match, and the score was tied, 2-2. The final game. Taj pulls out an mp3 players from his pocket and unwinds the thin, white cord that is wrapped around it. He chooses his song, and we return to Final Destination. The match starts sloppy, but he takes the first life. He is swaying to the beat of his music, he feels it. So do I. I retaliate, and I sway my body not to the rhythm of music, but to the rhythm of the game. It courses through my veins and pushes against the walls of my skin. We go even on the first two lives, and we are each at 2 lives a piece. I make a surprise move on him and get an early kill, gaining a significant lead. He returns on his final life and corners me, I break out with a clean hit.

I swing. I swing again, and again, and again. He tries to break free. I wait for him. I launch him in the air, off the stage where there is no solid ground beneath him. I jump above him, and make my final attack, spiking him down to the pits of hell. He struggles, but it is hopeless, he is finished.

Now here I am at school, putting off my studies to day dream about the events passed. I can only hope that I find something else in this life that replicates, or dare I say even surpasses, the thrills I once had.

When’s the last time you felt so alive?

Top Bottom