• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
haha i remember i got addicted to that song in 8th grade and tried to count how many times he used the word *****

Naota21t

Smash Champion
not people better than you?
for some ppl its easier to get better when u play around ur level.

getting ***** constantly by ppl who are A LOT better then you can make it hard to get better, just b/c the gap is too large and you just never win.

though on the contrary you'll learn ur weaknesses if u play real good ppl.

but playing ppl around ur level at least you'll consistently be able to win (if ur improving).

so its like suddenly getting better vs getting better little by little.

its all preference imo. i'm down for both, though i do get tired of getting ***** by fmf once in a while.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
In my experiences, when you get ***** over and over again, and then go back to playing people that were around your level, you'll find that suddenly you'll win a lot more consistently.

Naota21t

Smash Champion
In my experiences, when you get ***** over and over again, and then go back to playing people that were around your level, you'll find that suddenly you'll win a lot more consistently.
that is definitely true.

thats probably the best way to get better IMO.

Kira-

Smash Champion
getting ***** constantly by ppl who are A LOT better then you can make it hard to get better, just b/c the gap is too large and you just never win.
that's only if you don't think when you play, or if the person you're playing is wayy better than you, but at this point in the game where everyone has a high level of understanding (like joeplicate) it's all reading habits and having the tech skill to punish, so the gap should never be "too large"

so its like suddenly getting better vs getting better little by little.
no, you don't suddenly get better just because you're winning. When people play opponents better than them, they are forced to play at their best and improve in order to keep up. If you're good and you play someone you know you can beat, you don't try very hard. It can be subconsciously, but it happens. Hence why we drill the idea that friendlies don't mean anything, as well as how many stocks you took off.

its all preference imo
This has nothing to do with preference, we're talking about how you get better, not who you like playing more.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
I missed Tofu :)

Wow if guys want to get better, just play Mango. I'm serious.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
BTW, did you guys do crews after singles was over? I was apparently coming down with a fever so I left early.

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
Thats how I got better. Playing people around my level works but it makes getting better a lot slower.

BTW, did you guys do crews after singles was over? I was apparently coming down with a fever so I left early.
I don't think so. I left like 30 minutes after the end of melee singles. I could be wrong though since I was playing freindlies after seeing the matches between SS and Mango ^^ ( amazing matches by the way).

The Greater Leon

Smash Hero
lol good **** joe. i found it.

nice double post kouryuu

lol fly

i got a bit better in melee and 3s lol. and i know why. but it feels awesome to have people say you got better

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Haha Yea Esp. When Its True Like One Time I Got Better And My Friend Told Me "you Got Better"

It Felt Good Inside

Man All Caps Looks Too Good

Then When I Get Caps ***** It Looks Like I Am A Big Noob

Like Da Wes

Im Da H2yl Slaya Ken Slaya U Aint Got No **** On Me Son

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Hm Wat Lvl Cpu Do U Play?

I Wanna Shine Bair

Like Shiny Ursaring

Except Its Teddiursa Cuz U R Ballz @ Da Game Of Ssbm

joeplicate

Smash Master
if I had the chance between playing someone who was better than me for a long time, I'd probably pick that

but at a tournament I figure the more friendlies the better, and if you're playing with people just below your skill level you get a lot more experience and are able to play more

as opposed to waiting in line for like ten minutes before you get to play one friendly with zhu, are not warmed up, and he just ***** you

I don't know I just want to get more consistent and that seems like a really good way of doing it

good **** brendan I knew u would

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
that's only if you don't think when you play, or if the person you're playing is wayy better than you, but at this point in the game where everyone has a high level of understanding (like joeplicate) it's all reading habits and having the tech skill to punish, so the gap should never be "too large"

no, you don't suddenly get better just because you're winning. When people play opponents better than them, they are forced to play at their best and improve in order to keep up. If you're good and you play someone you know you can beat, you don't try very hard. It can be subconsciously, but it happens. Hence why we drill the idea that friendlies don't mean anything, as well as how many stocks you took off.

This has nothing to do with preference, we're talking about how you get better, not who you like playing more.
this post is right

I get better by not playing.
no, you played brawl, you get better at melee playing brawl

if I had the chance between playing someone who was better than me for a long time, I'd probably pick that

but at a tournament I figure the more friendlies the better, and if you're playing with people just below your skill level you get a lot more experience and are able to play more

as opposed to waiting in line for like ten minutes before you get to play one friendly with zhu, are not warmed up, and he just ***** you

I don't know I just want to get more consistent and that seems like a really good way of doing it
this is also right, i rarely play zhu/ lucky /e tc. at tournaments unless it's a mm. i either mm or i take the time to go to their place and play them for hours. getting consistent is da key.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
I only really play the good people at tournaments. In almost every tournament, I always find myself playing a good number of matches with Mango.

Yesterday, the only people I played were Mango, Tofu, Larry, Futile and a couple of matches with Connor I think.

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
LOL P

SD Reaper is one of the few "not good" smashers that I have played the most with. I played him at Races,' and UCLA (tournament and friendlies). And even so, I have almost always ***** him in all the matches we played (I go even with him with my Marth alone).

Losing to him was a fluke (yeah, can't think of a better john atm) and I can confidently say that it WONT happen again.

Though Reaper did get a better since the last time I played him. He's got potential, that's for sure.

joeplicate

Smash Master
nah fighting people who are better than you all the time makes you get really good at one very specialized matchup

fighting a wide range of people your skill level gets you more experience with more characters

which is what I'm going for

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
there are no flukes in melee. you lost because he was better than you in that set. he 2-0ed you and i heard he ended it with a ken combo. that's not a fluke, that's you getting *****.

i say this because i had (and probably still have) the same inconsistency problems. i have done really well one tourny and then lose to psychomidget early at the next and other people i probably should beat. but it's not like "omg those guys are noobs why did i lose," it's like "what do i have to do to get the focus and consistency to make sure things like this never happen again." you have to respect every opponent the same

considering he was san diego reaper, you probably came in thinking it was an easy win. and i can't blame you -- it should've been, though to his credit he is getting better pretty **** quickly. but if you played at your best you should've won, so the real issue is why you couldn't play your best. da mental is everything

Kouryuu

Smash Champion
I think Cory-u beat Loco Roco in a MM o_0

Yeah, that's pretty true P. Though I wasn't all that serious when I said it was a fluke. I just didn't want to get into the reason I believe that contributed to me losing to SD Reaper mainly cuz it would sound like a huge *** john. And I know that nobody likes to read two lined johns rofl. So... yeah. I'm just gonna leave it at a fluke cuz I'm an ******* and I give no credit to anyone beating me >=]

Oh and sorry for missing out on the MM. I'll play you at Connors assuming we both show up.

Top Bottom