• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SoCal Melee Community

HugeHo

Smash Cadet
yeah hugo is a chump, he still would pick brawl over melee

lmao doyle brunson
Meh, we all know I love melee way more.

I just have an urge to be the best in any game that I care to partake in. I'm already satisfied with what I have done with melee, so I am kind of bound to try and meet my goals in brawl, because noobs still beat me.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
so you're satisfied losing to fly amanita and larry? ok.

see wut i did thar?

on a serious note, i think a way way way bigger challenge than getting really good at brawl (which we've seen everyone do already) would be to get your old skill and compete with lucky/zhu and everyone else nowadays. to have the consistency now that old hugo used to have when nowadays the average skill level is so much higher combined with your layoff would be much more impressive.

or maybe you could get good at teams.

Camilo

Smash Cadet
I just heard my brother having sex....

I might have to move to norcal if they are consistently ****ing 5 times a week

Lovage

Smash Hero
hahahahahaha
im sure most people would say "get ***** tofu" at this time

i just wanna say

get uncomfortable tofu

HugeHo

Smash Cadet
so you're satisfied losing to fly amanita and larry? ok.

see wut i did thar?

on a serious note, i think a way way way bigger challenge than getting really good at brawl (which we've seen everyone do already) would be to get your old skill and compete with lucky/zhu and everyone else nowadays. to have the consistency now that old hugo used to have when nowadays the average skill level is so much higher combined with your layoff would be much more impressive.

or maybe you could get good at teams.
But fly and larry bothered me only for the moment. Same with losing to Zhu, because I know what I am capable of better than most people can know about themselves. I have actually reached some semblance of that capacity.

So then losing when I know full well I'm not at that capacity, and I'm attempting to play 2 games at once, doesn't really drive me to do better. I'm not really dwelling on losing to either of those two given the circumstances.

And I understand the average skill is much higher now, but that's mainly because the lower half that was dragging that average down has improved drastically. The best are still as good as ever, possibly slightly worse. But they need not improve as drastically to hang with the new people.

Alright P, i'll see what I can do.
This isn't me just going to a tournament and playing anymore. This is me having to deal with 2 completely different games, changing communities, decreasing/increasing levels of pressure, dealing with noobs beating me in brawl, and massive breaks from playing either game in and out of tournaments. So as much as I'd like to say I'll **** at the next melee tournament, it's no guarantee because I'm still figuring out how to deal with it all.

But i will try. I really didn't go to the church desiring 9th place. I just need to learn how to deal.

How about I pay you 20 bucks if I do not place in the top 3 of any of the next melee tournaments I go to? Regardless of how good the talent is, from now on. You can't do anything outside of the game to try and get me to not place. You won't owe me anything if I do place. Deal?

HugeHo

Smash Cadet
I've heard bad things about the hosts/venue. So i'm second guessing my plans to attend. But as of now I'm saying yes.

bbb

Smash Champion
I just heard my brother having sex....

I might have to move to norcal if they are consistently ****ing 5 times a week
my brother walked in on me and a girl one time, that's why I have a lock on my door now

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
interesting challenge pee and hugeho

hugz, transitioning back and forth from brawl (assuming u still play brawl competitively?) can be done, but it's really hard to do it one match after the other, like in the same day. i've lost a couple brawl tournys recently cuz i kept playing melee and when i had to play my brawl tourny match, my thinking/spacing/approaching were totally thrown off. the next day i played brawl and i was totally fine.

meh this is why i think melee/brawl tournys should hold the singles events on separate days, which is why i think i kinda approve of wcsl's schedule (besides closing time... i still don't know what time they close... better not be something gay)

nublet06

Smash Lord
i dont really find it that hard to switch back and forth between games.....

maybe because i play melee because i live next to emerican. and brawl is just less tech to worry about....but switching between games isnt really hard for me. :/

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
i dont really find it that hard to switch back and forth between games.....

maybe because i play melee because i live next to emerican. and brawl is just less tech to worry about....but switching between games isnt really hard for me. :/
did you go to circuit? i don't think you did. why don't you play melee like emerican

Top Bottom