• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*~*~*SoCal Low-Tier Tournament*~*~* RESULTS!!

Nashun

Smash Ace
Yeah, bring your own controller, Maico.

That speech was so inspiring, Thomas. I guess I'm going to have to miss out on my little cousin's semi-formal 16th (or 17th? or was it 15th...) birthday - just to show that I appreciate all of the effort you're putting into this. My family probably won't like it all too much but the SoCal smash community is much more important </joke>. I've always wanted to go to one of these, anyways.

Ironically enough, I'm thinking about using y.link for this tourney.

Hirsine

Smash Journeyman
Oh d@mn.......

Hehe. Thanks for pointing out my terrible math Nashun. It's 11 people that win money. Haha!!

I can't believe how many people are backing out. Why would you want to miss this tournament? Since when do we get a chance to have a tournament this special? I know it's a low-tier tournament, but don't you get tired of playing the same old characters all the time?

I just paid $50.00 to rent a car because I can't drive my crappy car down there. I'm putting a lot of my own money into this so it can be successful. And now people are backing out.

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING!! If you're not ready for this because you don't have confidence in your abilities, then you will NEVER be ready. You might as well just delete your account on Smash Boards and never go to another tournament again, because your skills will never be good enough. You can back out of this tournament because you're not ready, and you WILL back out of the next one because you still won't be ready, and you will continue to back out and hide from the competition, or you can show up, give it your best, and step up to the challenge and be the best that you can be! You can give it your best and if you fail, you will live to fight another day. You will come back again stronger and smarter, or you can give up before the battle begins and just hide from tournaments for the rest of your lives. It's your choice. But it's like Ben Franklin said "People who are good at making excuses aren't good at anything else." It's time to stop making excuses and start living life! Don't be one of the people who says "I wish I was there......"

If you need money, bring a tv and cube and get the discount. If your skills suck, just remember that the playing field is much more even in this tournament than regular tournaments. If you're not sure because there are other tournaments you want to attend, just remember that this kind of tournament is a rare experience and you'll miss out because you wanted to fight Sheik #57 and Fox #98.

I really don't want anyone to back out from this. This is my gift to SoCal for being the best region in all of Smash Boards. I'm really putting a lot of effort into this and I'm sacrificing so much of my own money to make this happen. Please don't back out.
Sorry, I didn't read your speech.

But, I can REALLY, really see that your giving out for all smashers in this speech. I'm glad that Ken, Arash, Ultra Luigi, Dodger, Nashun, JTB, and anyone else I can think are coming.

In any case, PLEASE EVERYONE GO TO THIS.
When was the last time that a low tier came about?

There needs to be more of these, because if there nothing but high tier in the community, we lose our interests and the game, like Thomas said of Fox61# and a Sheik73#, the fun starts disappearing. And it becomes who uses the best 4 characters.

So please, for the love of God, go to this.
I would put 100% guarantee to go, but since last minute scheduling has put my Piano competition tommorw's date, I cannot

JOVAN

Smash Journeyman
Well my partner bailed on me.. So I need a partner. Yo Jovan even though you said you only want to do teams how about a pikachu ditto team? Let me know if you'd want to.
Sorry man I just really want to do singles. Besides I suck at teams, really. I would probably kill you before I kill our oppenents. Not that I wouldn't want to team up with ya. Plus I'm kind of poor right now.

To answer your questions Jovan:

Yes, you can only enter singles.

Yes, if you bring a tv AND cube, you get a $5.00 discount that comes out of my own pocket and not the pot.

Zenith: If you can't find a partner on the boards, wait until that day because there's always someone who needs a partner. Last time I teamed with a little kid.

Everyone: To people who are backing out, I recommend that you don't. Take a look at the pot on the first page. The top 5 placings get money and the top 3 teams get money. So let's say there's 32 people there. That means that 11 people are walking away with money. That's 1 in every 3 people. And considering that this is a low-tier tourney, the same people who win all the major tournaments aren't guaranteed to win in both singles and doubles so even if you're not a pro, your odds of winning are greatly increased. I recommend you stay because if this is successful and we have more, chances are I won't be offering more money to more placings because then the tourney will just sell itself.

Someone else asked what the address was. It's the gym next to a church. When you turn right off the freeway, it's immediately on the right past the stoplight.
Thomas you can count me in for sure man I was waiting for something like this for ages. Finally I can show that pikachu is an awsome character!!! Low Tier all the way!

Zenith

Smash Ace
Although Thomas' post really touches me (creepy)
I can't go and will never have a chance in going (family crap) if I didn't have to do it I would go.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Nate, I understand that there are things in life more important than Smash. That pep speech is only aimed at people who won't come because they're too scared they won't do well. Family is more important than Smash so I totally understand. It's just that there are people (Like my best friend who used to come to tournaments with me) who just give up because they feel they're not good enough. He always said, "wait until I get better then I'll start going again." and for 2 years he hasn't come. In life, if you like a girl, are you going to say "I'm not going to ask her out until I have enough confidence" while in the meantime some other guy with more confidence asks her out and takes her away from you? If you do, you lose her! In Smash, if you're too scared to play in a tournament and wait until you get better, you're just going to be waiting forever while everyone else gets better.

Because my friend stopped going to tournaments, I've been driving my crappy broken-down car all the time all by myself. I've been teaming with random partners all the time. It's all because he keeps saying "I'll wait until I'm better......I'll wait until I'm better......I'll wait until I'm better....." He doesn't have the heart to compete, so I don't put any faith in him anymore. People keep making posts "tournament this.....tournament that!" and then back out at the last minute saying "I'm not good enough yet. I suck. I'll wait til I'm better." If that's your attitude, then you might as well never make another post again and find some new hobby.

I'm saying this for 2 reasons. The first (I won't lie) is so we can have a bigger turn-out. But the other reason is because I want to give other people the chance to step it up and make a name for themselves.

Zenith

Smash Ace
Nate, I understand that there are things in life more important than Smash. That pep speech is only aimed at people who won't come because they're too scared they won't do well. Family is more important than Smash so I totally understand. It's just that there are people (Like my best friend who used to come to tournaments with me) who just give up because they feel they're not good enough. He always said, "wait until I get better then I'll start going again." and for 2 years he hasn't come. In life, if you like a girl, are you going to say "I'm not going to ask her out until I have enough confidence" while in the meantime some other guy with more confidence asks her out and takes her away from you? If you do, you lose her! In Smash, if you're too scared to play in a tournament and wait until you get better, you're just going to be waiting forever while everyone else gets better.

Because my friend stopped going to tournaments, I've been driving my crappy broken-down car all the time all by myself. I've been teaming with random partners all the time. It's all because he keeps saying "I'll wait until I'm better......I'll wait until I'm better......I'll wait until I'm better....." He doesn't have the heart to compete, so I don't put any faith in him anymore. People keep making posts "tournament this.....tournament that!" and then back out at the last minute saying "I'm not good enough yet. I suck. I'll wait til I'm better." If that's your attitude, then you might as well never make another post again and find some new hobby.

I'm saying this for 2 reasons. The first (I won't lie) is so we can have a bigger turn-out. But the other reason is because I want to give other people the chance to step it up and make a name for themselves.
Preach to em!!!

Russky

Smash Rookie
well im going to this but whats the name of the gym though that would help alot

araknophobik

Smash Master
im really sick, but i dont got work
thus, if i wake up early enough i'll see you guys there ^_^

edit: too ****ing sick, going to doc's. if i get out in time i'll come

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Keep in mind that I'm going to be very strict on not allowing people to show up late! It's best to aniticipate traffice and leave 30 minutes earlier than usual. I'll probably be there at about 10:30AM. It's better to show up 30 minutes early than 30 minutes late.

DON'T BE LATE!!

Chuch

Smash Cadet
noo
u told me about another tounry not this one

i told him i cant cuz i suck right now and hav to get back into the grooze he didnt care...so i guess im going..who ever faces me gets easy kills...i suicdie a lor<_<

Russky

Smash Rookie
dont bekieve the guy above me(my partner) i told him about this tourney a week ago and we'll be there like at 10:45

JOVAN

Smash Journeyman
Thomas I may be 20-30 minutes late please save a spot I live all the way in La Habra I know you don't know that city because I live so far. Please saveone spot for me. I am comming for SURE!!!

Thank You

Edit: it's freaken 50 Miles away so please giive me a handicap

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
I planned to come in the first place, ask Jovan! =]

But one of my friend's birthday that I forgot about is today.. oops? So needa party with them =/ I was looking forward to this as well, to show what my Young Link can do =] Oh wells, I guess I'll get drunk tonight, and participate in another Low Tier tourny.. if there's going to be another.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Thomas I may be 20-30 minutes late please save a spot I live all the way in La Habra I know you don't know that city because I live so far. Please saveone spot for me. I am comming for SURE!!!

Thank You

Edit: it's freaken 50 Miles away so please giive me a handicap
Lmao you're never not late

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Well, it's all over. Here are the results:

Doubles:

1) Ken and Arash (Game & Watch and Bowser) $50.00
2) ThomaSexy and Ultra Lugi (Zelda and Luigi) $20.00
3) Evilnemesis and Jovan (Link and Pikachu) $0.00

Singles:

1) Ken (Game & Watch) $60.00
2) Ultra Luigi (Luigi) $20.00
3) Arash (Bowser) $10.00
4) Evilnemesis (Link) $5.00

In the end, Ultra Luigi came from the loser's bracket after losing to Nealdt's Young Link. He beat Ken in the first set. In the final set, the score was 3-2. It came down to the last stock of the last match and both players were at an extremely high percent.

Turnout was very poor. None of Super Friends or Deep SoCal or Palmdale came. I won't be hosting another one of these.

bbb

Smash Champion
Turnout was very poor. None of Super Friends or Deep SoCal or Palmdale came. I won't be hosting another one of these.
Seriously, it sucks that no one showed. I went, and I barely even play a low tier.

Zenith

Smash Ace
Man, I thought this tourney would be huge.
I was tryin to make it in time for singles, just couldn't get there in time.

You could say this was the last low-tier tourney.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I apologize that I could not make it. I was looking forward to this all week but it was a good friend of mine's birthday party on friday night, and it didn't end til 5:30 am. I just couldn't function on 2 hours of sleep.

JOVAN

Smash Journeyman
Thomas "No Mana's", it was fun I liked it. Even though I didn't do so well in singles. Ultra Luigi your Luigi is REALLY good Freaking getting three stcoked be a luigi sucks. Arash your Bowser is awsome clooooose games though, Jungle Japes was fun.

$ick, I entered doubles because Thomas made me and I joined with Evil because he was all alone like a loner and he was like, Come on JOVAN we gots to take out Ken. So I was like, Fiiiine, and we got thrid, not bad.

The Kirby Dude I played was pretty amazing aswell good times...good times I hope there will be another one Thomas. There dam will better.

Arash

Smash Lord
this tourney was seriously fun, and the winner's finals (ken GW vs arash bowser), loser's finals (arash bowser vs ultra luigi luigi) and final finals (ultra luigi luigi vs ken GW) were all close as heck.... the most intense matches i have seen in a long time. a lot of people have really good low tiers too...

but, since only 15ish people got to see it, sucks to not have made it

everyone who went: good stuff seeing you there, low tier pride and all that jazz

everyone who didn't: you missed out / you suck

thomas: sorry that it was a poor turnout, but i had fun, and i'm sure everyone who went had fun too:)

bowser: dammit you suck nah j/k luigi is just too good

game and watch: you suck even harder than bowser does, and that's not an easy feat...

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Results: http://lbpolymusic.com/tio/tournament.aspx?id=51

Thomas: I'm sorry more people didn't show. I did have a very good time, though, and I know everyone who I came with did too. People seem to forget that there are more than five characters in this game, so it's fun and refreshing to see actually entertaining matches with unique characters more often.

UltraLuigi: yay, you're the first person I've ever used the boomerang recovery against :). Great job on second!!!

Roger: yay, we swept fifth place :).

I suck at shoutouts.

$ick

Smash Lord
awl hecks yeah. good job oscar.

sorry the turnout was poor. i couldnt get anyone to go with me. and driving to SB would be really dumb all by myself.
Whenever I drive to SB Palmdale is only like 10 mins away....? Driving to SB from here is what would've sucked.. heh main reason I didn't go, well not just cause of the drive. Being there with no friends wouldn't be too fun either.

nublet06

Smash Lord
tate Road 138 spans two California counties, and, with 22 fatal accidents in Los Angeles County and 17 in San Bernardino County in a five year period it easily made our list of dangerous roads.

not only that, but i have to take what is known as the deadliest road in southern california. peopl drive like idiots on that thing.

sephirothken

ken combo
BRoomer
Well, it's all over. Here are the results:

Doubles:

1) Ken and Arash (Game & Watch and Bowser) $50.00
2) ThomaSexy and Ultra Lugi (Zelda and Luigi) $20.00
3) Evilnemesis and Jovan (Link and Pikachu) $0.00

Singles:

1) Ken (Game & Watch) $60.00
2) Ultra Luigi (Luigi) $20.00
3) Arash (Bowser) $10.00
4) Evilnemesis (Link) $5.00

In the end, Ultra Luigi came from the loser's bracket after losing to Nealdt's Young Link. He beat Ken in the first set. In the final set, the score was 3-2. It came down to the last stock of the last match and both players were at an extremely high percent.

thomas, I know how you feel, i cam and fully supported you on this low tier tournament and even stuck to a low tier character all games :embarrass

it's the same as the biweeklies, you plan in advance and put up a lot of time and effort into this event and you get a low turn out and you were only trying to host a smash/fun tournament for the people. In the end no one shows up so then you don't feel like you should host another. Kind of exactly how i feel, it gets to the point where people will soon realized how lucky they are that someone actually took the effort to host a tournament when they arent around anymore.

Furthermore, don't worry, I had a great time, i could have went to Anti's tournament easily which is like 10 minutes away from me but i chose to support you with yours in san berdadino which is like an hour away. Matches came extremely close, I got really lucky against Arash's Koopacalypse and I probably would have lost to Ultra luigi if arash beat me beforehand.

but the main thing was... I wasn't a sell out :cool:

<---- deserves 1st for low tier user in socal :) winning 2 low tier tournaments in a row beating the odds

Ultra Luigi

Smash Ace
I’m so sorry for the low turnout Thomas but I really appreciate what you did. Even though not that many people showed up it was still an awesome tourney. I finally had a chance to use Luigi in a low tier tourney.

Ken - That G&W is too good; I sure learned a few things from playing against you. If Luigi wasn’t in the game, G&W would have been my primary character, he’s that cool. That F-Air is too dirty; I couldn’t get you with the back air off the edge lol. Those were some close matches; I hope to get a chance to play you again, maybe at the biweekly.

Arash - You’re still the king of the koopas man. Bowser is so intimidating, especially that up-b. Now I have to worry about two Bowser levels, I had no idea Corneria was a good stage for you. Good games.

EvilNemesis – Again, thanks for hooking us up with that place. Team matches were funny; I had some laughs when you would tell Jovan not to electrocute you with Pikachu. We had some really close matches in teams, but we managed to beat you guys the second time. You have a good Link, I didn’t know you could use him that well. Oh yeah 10c candy FTW!

Dodger – I told you it wasn’t going to be that easy, Kirby is just so annoying to play against. I was looking for those Kirbycides but I don’t think you got one on me, that’s good lol. Good matches, I’ll see you at the biweekly.

Jovan – First time I’ve met you, that Pika is scary good. Good thing I banned Corneria, that was too good of a Pika stage lol. Thunder against Luigi=owwww.

Nealdt – and they say Luigi is hacks, look at that recovery you did, pretty amazing. Good job taking me out of winners so early. I’ll be sure to ban that DK stage next time. Oxnard Farms FTW!

To the people who didn’t go, that was lame.

Edit: How could I forget about my partner Thomas. Thanks for hosting this tourney and for being my partner. I still feel that I suck in teams, I really need to work on it.

Oh yeah, it ain't cool to use Luigi as a tennis ball Ken and Arash.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, it ain't cool to use Luigi as a tennis ball Ken and Arash.
Haha! That was kinda funny; Ultra getting smacked back and fourth between Bowser and G&W like a tennis ball. I also thought that little infinite with Zelda on Pokemon stadium against G&W in that last match was pretty funny too. A lot of cool new things came out of this tournament that we've never seen before happened. I wish we recorded it.

SHOUT-OUTS

Helen and Arash - Thank you so much for volunteering to help run things. I didn't expect it, and I am soooo grateful that you helped out. It really means a lot to me. Arash, your set with Ken in winner's finals was toooooooo close!!

Evilnemesis - Thank you for making this all happen. As you know, it would not be possible without you. I'm just sorry about the poor turn-out and I'm sorry that we had to reduce the pots because of that.

Ultra Luigi - So how does it feel to be in the main event of a tournament? That was an insanely close set! I nearly crapped my pants!! Was it just me, or did it seem like we had an off-day for teams? It's okay though. It was still fun as heck, and you still got money out of it and saved me a little money too. Hehe. Thanks for coming. I appreciate that you drove all the way from Oxnard to come to this.

Ken - Thank you so much for supporting my tournament. It was good to see you again. I appreciate the drive you made when you could have gone to that lame tournament in Torrance. Isn't it such a relief to not fight the same 5 characters over and over and over again? I can see why you say this game gets boring for you so I'm glad that you were able to have more fun at this tournament.

Nealdt - Thank you also for coming to this. See? I was right when I said you were "one of the better players." You put Ultra Luigi in loser's. Sorry I didn't see the match, but I heard about you making some awesome boomerang recovery. Isn't it nice to have a tournament without Peach?

Dodger - Ahhhhh!!! Your Kirby is sooooo hard to hit! No wonder you're the Dodger. You duck and dodge all my attacks. I didn't see how well you placed, but I hope you placed well. Thanks for coming to this.

Jovan - Thank you too for coming to this. Aren't you glad you entered teams? You actually placed. If the turn-out was bigger though, I would have offered money to 3rd place. It was funny in teams when Luigi would keep saying "JOVAN!" Haha.

After a full-night of sleep, I'm not sure now if I want to hold another or not. Initially I thought no. But after hearing all the talk of "Did you see that?" and "I've never seen that before!" and "I didn't know you could do that!" I'm not sure. And everyone who was there really seemed to have a good time. There weren't any of the "serious" competitors there. I dunno. A lot of new never-before seen things happened at this tournament, and it does feel like you're playing a new game with new characters. If I did ever host another, I might do it closer to where more players live, and I would scale it down, and I would probably offer more than just smash like having pizza and then going out to someplace fun afterwards. As far as turn-out, it was poor, but as far as player satisfaction, it was a complete success. If I could find a venue closer to where more players live, then I can almost guarantee a part 2.

Thunderbolt

Smash Journeyman
Hey ThomaS. I had lots of fun there. It really is nice not having to play Marth's, Foxes, Shieks, and Falcos every match.

Despite the terrible turnout, everyone had fun. Isn't that what really matters?

And you have a nice Zelda Thomas. I was the Mewtwo kid you played 1st Round.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
If I did hold another, it would be really kick back. I would buy us all pizza and soda and snacks and just make it really fun.

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
If there's another one I'll definitely be there. Initially I was excited for this, but then I heard about the Torrance tourney, and in my eyes, getting better > low tier, so I decided to go to that one. However, I know a lot of people have really good low tiers, and if this ever happens again I'll be sure to go.

$ick

Smash Lord
If I did hold another, it would be really kick back. I would buy us all pizza and soda and snacks and just make it really fun.
Yeah I think this one just had bad luck. Most people just couldn't make it due to other engagements.. Hold another and it'll be my top prioty next to my own mom's funeral just to make up for missing this one. :)

Top Bottom