• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*~*~*SoCal Low-Tier Tournament*~*~* RESULTS!!

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
*~*~*~*~*~*RESULTS*~*~*~*~*~*

Well, it's all over. Here are the results:

Doubles:

1) Ken and Arash (Game & Watch and Bowser) $50.00
2) ThomaSexy and Ultra Lugi (Zelda and Luigi) $20.00
3) Evilnemesis and Jovan (Link and Pikachu) $0.00

Singles:

1) Ken (Game & Watch) $60.00
2) Ultra Luigi (Luigi) $20.00
3) Arash (Bowser) $10.00
4) Evilnemesis (Link) $5.00

In the end, Ultra Luigi came from the loser's bracket after losing to Nealdt's Young Link. He beat Ken in the first set. In the final set, the score was 3-2. It came down to the last stock of the last match and both players were at an extremely high percent.

Turnout was very poor. None of Super Friends or Deep SoCal or Palmdale came. I won't be hosting another one of these.

*~*~*~*~*~*1-19-07 update *~*~*~*~*~*

Date: January 27, 2007

San Bernardino, CA 92404

Cost: $5.00 singles, $5.00 per teamate in teams, $5.00 admission fee
($5.00 admission fee waived if you bring a tv AND cube)

Start time: 11:00AM registration. 12:00AM teams, followed by singles. (Start time is SHARP)

Pot:
Singles: 1st 70%, 2nd 30%,
3rd $15.00, 4th $10.00, 5th $5.00 (Coming from my own pocket)
Doubles: 1st 70%, 2nd 30%
3rd $20.00 (ten each, from my own pocket)

Double elimination, 4 stock, 8 minute time limit, best 2 out of 3. Finals and loser's finals best 3 out of 5. Team attack ON. Pause OFF.

*~*~*~*~*~* Characters *~*~*~*~*~*

Here are the characters available for the low-tier tournament in teams and singles:

Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu
Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

If you want to train for this, I want you to at least know how to train for it.

*~*~*~*~*~* STAGES *~*~*~*~*~*

There will be SEVEN stages. Stage selection will be RANDOM. However, each player is allowed to ban ONE STAGE EACH if they truly feel that a certain stage will seriously handicap their performance. Here are the 7 stages allowed:

Final Destination
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story
Dreamland 64
Donkey Kong 64
Corneria

If BOTH players want to agree to another stage that isn't on the list, they can only if BOTH players agree to it. Otherwise, it's random. Yes, you can both even agree to Flat Zone if you want to, but only if BOTH players agree. ** No stage can be used twice in the same set.

If you choose to ban a stage, you have to announce it BEFORE any of the matches begin. You can't wait for a stage to be selected and then decide you want to ban it. You have to call it beforehand.

Last minute change on counter-picking: The loser of each round can choose to either change character, or pick the stage (instead of random). It's one or the other.

*~*~*~*~*~* TIES *~*~*~*~*~*

If time runs out, player with the most stock or lowest percent wins. NO SUDDEN DEATH. In the extremely rare case that there's a tie, guess what? The lower-tier character in that match wins. If you're the same character, round 4.

*~*~*~*~*~* CHEATERS *~*~*~*~*~*

Turbo controllers are not allowed. If you have any other special kind of mod and you get away with using it in matches, you will be automatically disqualified and forced to pay everyone who you cheated against back. If you can't do that, you will be kicked out.

*~*~*~*~*~* STALLING *~*~*~*~*~*

Using any glitch or stall tactics to make a match unfinishable results in your disalification for that round. There's no point in bringing up Ice Climbers freeze glitch since they're not in the low-tier tournament and Mewtwo's soul stunner only works when items are on and they are not. BUT, if you discover a new glitch or stall tactic that has not been discovered yet, the rules still apply. That includes camping on the gun in Corneria.

*~*~*~*~*~* COACHING OR TRASH TALKING *~*~*~*~*~*

Coaching your friends by giving them advice on what to do DURING their match will not be tolerated. At the same time, talking trash and making fun of someone during their match will also be prohibited. If a person is coached during their match and wins, they will have to play the set all over again with their coach removed. If you trash talk, you will be warned and if you continue, you will be asked to leave.

*~*~*~*~*~* IF YOU ARRIVE LATE *~*~*~*~*~*

If you arrive late, a spot will NOT be held for you. If a spot is held for let's say Ken, and he's late and get's DQ'd and put into loser's bracket, is it fair to everyone else in the loser's bracket who has to face him because he arrived late? Absolutely not!! No spots are to be held whatsoever for any reason no matter who you are.

If you are in teams and your partner arrives late, you can substitute with a level 9 computer but then you HAVE TO stay with the level 9 computer throughout the whole tournament even when and if your partner arrives. Again, would it be fair if Ken's partner was late, teamed with a level 9 computer and loses, and then his partner arrives and they **** everyone in loser's bracket who has a chance at placing and winning money? No way!! There will be no changing of partners no matter what the circumstances. If your partner has to leave early, you get a level 9 computer. No human substitutes for partners leaving early.

** If you leave to get food and don't return in time, you will be DQ'd not only from winner's but also loser's bracket. In other words, you are fully DQ'd from the tournament.

Misc: The hosts ThomaSexy and Evilnemesis are not paying to enter either tournaments.

If this is successful, I will hold more.

P.S. Give me rep

Shmooguy

Smash Champion
He's asking everyone. Only inviting really good people would mean low turnout. Also,

I'm thinking of advertising the concept that a low-tier tournament means a "greater chance of anyone winning" would bring a larger turn-out.
From this it's pretty obvious that he's talking about people who aren't as talented. Too bad I can't play low tier... not good enough for that yet :ohwell: Maybe if it was a little cheaper, as the demand isn't as high compared to a normal tourney.

Just wondering, what happens if someone's main is low tier?

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
Heck yeah I'd probably go. On a side note, $15 is kind of an odd price tag, not that it isn't fair (5 singles 5 doubles and 5 food theoretically) but I just think it might be more appealing if it was just $10 w/o food provided. Then you could make a food tag optional for an extra 5 bux. IMO and experiances, once entry fees get over $10 it seems to drive people away.

Zenith

Smash Ace
Sure I'd come to this just don't make it in December.

Is Y. Link/Link banned, some low tier tournies ban the Links & Roy.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I would show up...if its in 2007 ;)

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
The reason behind $15.00 was because it would probably be held in San Bernardino, which is becoming increasingly popular. It would be $5.00 for singles and $5.00 for teams. but the place charges $5.00 to get in. That's why it's $15.00. the free food is just a side thing I want to offer that I'll pay for out of my own money.

The Link, Y. Link, and Luigi debate. Right now I'm thinking to keep Y. Link and Luigi. but I want to do whatever most people want so pretty much it'll be what most people decide.

It won't be in December.

$ick

Smash Lord
Ban Pikachu? Bad idea.. lol I don't think there should be any bans, what's the point of classifying those characters as low tier if you ban them from that genre

nublet06

Smash Lord
man....dont ban anyone. the only thing that should be banned in low tier is zelda using her down b. that move is rigged.

but the truth is, luigi is like mid tier and people just dont know it yet. :p

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
man....dont ban anyone. the only thing that should be banned in low tier is zelda using her down b. that move is rigged.

but the truth is, luigi is like mid tier and people just dont know it yet. :p
I also think he's better than he's given credit, but I don't want him to move from low tier =] I like him there.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
This tournament will probably happen. So far I plan to only ban Link because Young Link is still there. Why have 2 Links when one is higher tier than the other? As far as Luigi goes...... I hope to keep him but I'm trying to make this what everyone else wants more. As far as that, I don't want to have too many bans on this and that. I want it to be more fun than strict.

Knivez

Smash Ace
alright but that's it..
no more exceptions...otherwise its gonna turn into a regular tournament
thanks for being so cool thomas.
i know everyones gonna be mad at u for playin favoritism...
but think about it this way...ur gonna get jumped by 8 guys...
8 GUYS
nice.

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
IMHO both Link and Luigi should be banned because they are legitimate main characters. Which means people can use them in real tournaments and honestly expect to do fairly well. There are lots of Luigi and Link mains out there, far more than Pikachu/G&W/Ness etc, and for a reason.

*shrug*.

Either way, YES you should hold a low tier tourney, Thomas :).

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I"m fine with having Links. Young Link exists to beat him anyway!

I dont think any of these characters (Luigi, link) should be banned. A lot of low tiers have good matchups on them. I mean, for the reason Fox and Sheik aren't banned in normal tournaments, I dont think Link and Luigi should be banned. Sure they are better but they don't have any clear gap between the rest. Quite a few characters have their matchups on these too.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
If both players agree, can Link be available for their match up..? I'm a Young Link player myself, and fighting Links are one of my favorite match ups, cause I'm usually underestimated =]

Ultra Luigi

Smash Ace
If i were running this tourney I would ban Link, Luigi and Roy. I doesn't matter anyways since i'm more than possitive i won't be making it.

Have fun :)

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
No Ultra!! You HAVE TO come!! You're part of the reason why I want to hold it. I always hear you say "I've never been to a low tier tournament before" and I hear the tone of voice in which you use it. Players like you are the reason why I want to hold this. (Part of the reason why I don't want to ban Luigi too.) Do you know how boring it is to fight Marth #16 or Fox #98? I think it would be veeeeeeery interesting and fun to see what kind of results occur from this tournament, especially in teams. Heck, I'll even pay your admission. It's very little money to me.

The Grinch

Smash Journeyman
No Ultra!! You HAVE TO come!! You're part of the reason why I want to hold it. I always hear you say "I've never been to a low tier tournament before" and I hear the tone of voice in which you use it. Players like you are the reason why I want to hold this. (Part of the reason why I don't want to ban Luigi too.) Do you know how boring it is to fight Marth #16 or Fox #98? I think it would be veeeeeeery interesting and fun to see what kind of results occur from this tournament, especially in teams. Heck, I'll even pay your admission. It's very little money to me.
When are you planning on holding this, and how far are you from me? :[ lol. I'd LOVE to come to a low tier tourny!!! All I play are low tier characters, but no one wants to hold one >< And no banning chars! lol.

Zenith

Smash Ace
Don't ban any1.

I'm stuck and I have no idea which low-tier to use.
(Y) Link
G&W
Roy
Luigi
?????????

Top Bottom