• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*~*~*SoCal Low-Tier Tournament*~*~* RESULTS!!

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Okay. After the tournament in Riverside today, I have to make some very strict rules now.

#1 No coaching. You can't be behind your buddy telling them what to do. I don't really care honestly, I just don't want fights to break out. No trash talk either.

#2 If you are late, we WILL NOT hold a spot for you. I don't care if you are Bomb Solider or Jesus Christ. There will be no holding spots because that leads to that person being DQ'd and then them throwing off the balance in the loser's bracket.

#3 If your partner is late, you can team with a level 9 computer, but your partner can't join in when he arrives. Again, this throws off things in the loser's bracket.

Trying to be as fair as possible!!

Zenith

Smash Ace
#3 If your partner is late, you can team with a level 9 computer, but your partner can't join in when he arrives. Again, this throws off things in the loser's bracket.
ARE YOU SERIOUS???
This means you'll have to handcuff teams together during doubles.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
#1 No coaching. You can't be behind your buddy telling them what to do. I don't really care honestly, I just don't want fights to break out. No trash talk either.
Can I ask how this is going to be penalized? For example, let's say I have this one smasher, and he's winning. so I start coaching him because I want to disqualify him. Not Like I would ever want to do this, but it scares me how people might abuse it if such a rule exists.

What if someone tries to coach you and you didn't want it to happen? I don't like the idea of being penalized for something I didn't do or want. Well I'm sure MLG has a way of dealing with it, maybe you could do whatever they do.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Well, we had problems at Double Pandatration with trash talk and then we had problems at Riverside with coaching. Obviously we know who are friends with each other and only friends are going to help each other or trash talk against their friend's opponent. All I can really do to enforce this is just ask everyone to respect the rules and if anyone notices this going on to please report it. I don't really see "reverse coaching", to make someone you don't want to play against lose, happening. SoCal isn't like that.

But just in case trash talk does happen, I guess we'll just have to redo the set. The trash talker will have to leave because if fights break out, that will ruin future tournaments for everyone. We can't tolerate this. SoCal rarely gets any low-tier tournaments and I'd hate for us to lose out on it because someone gets mad and ruins it for everyone else.

Dodger

Smash Ace
OMG! Thomas I love you!!! I can't waaaaaaaaait!! =)

Good Lord I need to practice though. A busy end of quarter coupled with a long vacation = a very rusty Dodger.

Simna, why are you jealous? From what I can tell, NorCal gets a heck of a lot more LT tournies than we do.

Nashun, want to partner?

Nashun

Smash Ace
Sorry Dodger, teaming up with my crew member on this one. He's really flaky though, so if he doesn't show up and you still don't have a partner by then, then double Kirby kthnx.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
After Panda's tournament today, we can start working on a date for this. I'm HOPING for January 27. We'll find out within a week.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
I'm just waiting on Luigi to ask his church for the date.

I'm hoping to see the following people:

Gabe - Yoshi
Arash - Bowser
Ultra Luigi - Luigi
ROFLOL - Luigi
Nashun - Kirby
Dodger - Kirby
Edrees - Young Link

nublet06

Smash Lord
champ needs to bring his link. and i bet dsf will show up with his nasty link as well.

i dont even think i would do good. gabe always beats me, links are pretty hard, and luigi dittos are like a coin toss. plus zelda is teh scary. id rather play marth sheik fox and falco.

but i def gotta try, cause ive never done a low tier. hope we get a good date.

Hirsine

Smash Journeyman
Hmm I wonder how many Ness's are there gonna be. Because I was just thinking about how in Yoshi's Story, the Shy Guys flying around in randomly sometimes kills Ness's PK Thunder.

Yoshi's Story= Ness disadvantage

Hopefully I will come to this:)

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
The reason why Link is banned is the same reason why no one uses Roy in tournaments. Why use Roy when Marth is much stronger? Hence, Roy is almost non-existant in tournaments. If Link is in the tournament, who's going to use Young Link? Like Roy and Marth, Marth is dominant in tournaments. Like Link and Young Link, Link will be more dominant. Therefore, Link is banned. My mind's already made up.

Also, these days in tournaments 90% of your opponents are Fox, Falco, Marth, Sheik, and Peach. Low-tier gives us the chance to play other characters in the game. Playing against the same 5 characters over and over again tournament after tournament gets to be really boring. I'm a little afraid that low-tier tournaments are going to be dominated by Links and Luigis. Which brings me to the subject of Luigi.........

People ask me to ban Luigi too. We don't really know for sure if he's too strong or not until we see it for ourselves. But with characters like Roy, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, and Zelda, I really don't see Luigi having some kind of HUGE advantage over everyone else. But then again, we really don't know until we see for ourselves. So that's why he's in so we can find out.

nublet06

Smash Lord
why not ban pikachu. no1 will use pichu because pikachu is better right?

the fact is.....young link is a counter for link. so that is why people would use him. but since you banned link you are actually making young link less affective by taking away one of his good matchups.

the idea that you are going to test out luigi in low tier to see if he should be banned or not is also dumb. you took away link......someone who does very well on luigi. better than marth IMO. so by doing that you gave a very huge advantage to luigi and he will most likely end up being banned. pikachu is still decent with the verticle KO, and zelda is a pain for luigi, but not everyone can use them as easily as link.

plus, majority of people like to pick characters that they like. for instance SOS will play pichu, because pichu is sexy. i dont think everyone will rush to play a half *** luigi if they have no idea how to play him. and the same goes for link. people will just play who they think they are the best with....or who is the coolest. if ou did ban luigi...i would be mewtwo because he is cool :p

araknophobik

Smash Master
rofl is right on that one, low tier is more fun because people actually choose characters that they want to use, and not have to use high tier characters to hang in a tournament. 50 people wont pick up luigi just for this tourny, everyone is going to choose who they think would be fun to use. pichu ftw ^_^

$ick

Smash Lord
Banning Pikachu? Horrible idea... lol even if your point is valid. The 27th is the day before my 18th birthday so I won't be forgetting the day, gaining more excitement about this. I'll be bringing a tv a cube most likely as well

Ultra Luigi

Smash Ace
plus, majority of people like to pick characters that they like. for instance SOS will play pichu, because pichu is sexy. i dont think everyone will rush to play a half *** luigi if they have no idea how to play him. and the same goes for link. people will just play who they think they are the best with....or who is the coolest. if ou did ban luigi...i would be mewtwo because he is cool :p
Nah dude, I think you’re wrong on this part. When Panda gave me his tapes so I can upload the videos from the first Pandatration, most of the low tier battles had Luigi, and you can tell some people had no idea how to use him. If Link and Luigi are high on the list, there are those who think they'll get far just because they're up there.

I can even show you the batch of vids if you have doubts with what I’m saying. But I agree with you on the Link part, that's why I suggested removing Link and Luigi from the beginning, it makes things much more accurate as I feel the rest are the real low tier.

But they are a part of that list, so if Luigi is in Link should be in as well. Don't ban anyone.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
This argument doesn't even apply to the best low tier players, and only applies to the n00bs. Of course the n00bs will do it ... and that's why they're n00bs and won't be competitive anyway.

Dodger

Smash Ace
Not necessarily. HugS and DSF both used Luigi at the first Pandatration. DSF may have used Link as well, but I know he used Luigi against Ken in the finals, and I know HugS chose Luigi because Luigi was the highest tiered character allowed in the tournament. And they didn't suck with those characters either, HugS got 9th, and DSF got 2nd.

nublet06

Smash Lord
yeah buts thats based off of skill. they werent the only people allowed to pick luigi.....so im sure they had to battle other people with the "higher tier" characters. but they stillmanaged to win. wprse comes to worse....if you feel like you are going up agaisnt a character with a huge advantage, why not ditto them? theres no such thing in having character advantages as long as everyone is allowed to select a character.

i agree with SOS and ultra luigi. either do what SOS says and do bottom tier only, or do what me and ultra say and dont ban anyone.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Good good. Keep giving me input. It helps.

As for Pikachu and Pichu, I see Pichu as a joke character.

As far as the "tier list" goes, it's just a list to me. If Link moved from top of low tier to the bottom of mid tier, it doesn't change his abitlities. It doesn't make him stronger or weaker. The tier list is pretty much in order of best to worst. We just have to decide where the cut-off point is regardless of the name of a tier. I just thought this would be the most appropriate cut-off point, but I want to do what most people would agree to. So don't stop giving me your opinions. It helps me make a decision and I want the best decision for everyone.

At Pandatration, about 2/3 of the characters I faced were Link. Which wasn't a problem for me, being a Zelda player, since it was easy to reflect their projectiles and force them to fight. But it seems unfair to everyone else who has their favorite low-tier character who had to fight so many Links. Do you think we will have the same problem with Luigi? I don't know. SoCal hasn't had enough low-tier tournaments to determine that yet. But I hear the same complaints from Luigi players that I hear from other people who play low-tier characters like "Marth is too good" "Space animals are too good" "Peach is too good" "Sheik is too good"

I dunno what to do. Some people say "don't ban anyone" and some people say "Link and Luigi are too good for low-tier." AHHHHHHH!!!! It's hard trying to make everyone happy. Is banning one but not the other a good idea since it gives both sides half of what they want? Or should I please one side and not the other? I don't know. Giving each side half of what they want seemed like a good idea. But I really want to continue the discussion. I still need to hear more opinions. Don't give up your opinions because I'm staying as open-minded as possible. Thanks again for everyone who joined the debate.

Top Bottom