• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*~*~*SoCal Low-Tier Tournament*~*~* RESULTS!!

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Okay people. Updates are on the first post. I don't like when people make updates in the last post because then it gets lost in the middle pages and people miss out on important information.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
Can't pikachu be a counter for Luigi?

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Keep on giving me your opinions on Luigi. I'm listening and taking notes.

Okay, I was working on this for a few hours now - The Stages. If you don't like my ideas on stage selection, at least be considerate on the amount of thought I put into it to make it fair.

First of all, I never liked the idea of counter-picking. How annoying is it when Mr. Marth decides that he's going to take you to Yoshi's Story or Mrs. Peach decides to counter with Dreamland 64? Also, I never liked randomness playing a role in the outcome of a match; random things like the wind in dreamland 64 messing with your positioning of a combo, or you spike someone on yoshi's island and a random cloud appears and saves them. Of course, this would only allow for Battlefield and Final Destination but that would be sooooooooooooo boring!! So I'm trying to make this as fair as possible banning horribly random stages, but still leaving enough to make it fun and still competitive.

SO HERE'S HOW IT WORKS!! There will be SEVEN stages. Stage selection will be RANDOM. However, each player is allowed to ban ONE STAGE EACH if they truly feel that a certain stage will seriously handicap their performance.

Here are the stages that I'm thinking so far. This isn't final yet because I want to hear from you first.

Final Destination
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story
Dreamland 64
Donkey Kong 64
Yoshi's Island

Here's why. FD and Battlefield I consider to be the only random-free stages. Pokemon Stadium doesn't really favor one character type or another because it constantly changes. So I consider these 3 to be the only real neutral stages.

Then I took playing styles into consideration. Characters can be good at vertical KOs or horizontal KOs and players can survive better with vertical recovery and horizontal recovery. So I tried to balance it like this:

Yoshi's Story - Easy KO off the top, Easy KO off the sides
Dreamland 64 - Hard KO off the top, Hard KO off the sides
DK 64 - Hard KO off the top, Easy KO off the sides
Yoshi's Island - Easy KO off the top, Hard KO off the sides

Yoshi's Island was a hard decision. I was thinking about that, Corneria, and Green Greens. I just feel this has the least random things that pop up from the stage to mess you up. And from what I understand, it was banned from MLG because Falco can shine you off the top with ease. Well, Falco isn't here anymore is he?

I was also considering Kongo Jungle over DK64 but I'm scared of cheap kills from rock camping and random clap traps.

Also, allowing one ban each allows you to remove any stage that you really feel would hurt your performance. Keep that in mind.

Again, I need your opinions. This isn't set in stone yet. What do you think of the 7 stages? What do you think of all random select with 1 ban each? I spent a couple of hours looking into this.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Okay peeps. READ PAGE 3 FOR STAGE SELECTION. I posted how I want to handle to stage selection so read it and tell me what you think.

I MADE A DECISION ON LUIGI. I decided to keep him in. I was thinking he could affect the balance of the tournament but you know what? How will we know that he will unless we keep him in and see? We don't KNOW that. No one really uses low tiers enough to know for sure. So let's just keep him in and we'll see what happens. And if he does really throw everything off, then next time we'll know what to do. But for now, he's in. Only ban is Link.

JOVAN

Smash Journeyman
I think I have a good chance of wininng with my PEEKS. Keep Luigi in. I want the finals to be aganist me and The Grinch.

Ultra Luigi

Smash Ace
No Ultra!! You HAVE TO come!! You're part of the reason why I want to hold it. I always hear you say "I've never been to a low tier tournament before" and I hear the tone of voice in which you use it. Players like you are the reason why I want to hold this. (Part of the reason why I don't want to ban Luigi too.) Do you know how boring it is to fight Marth #16 or Fox #98? I think it would be veeeeeeery interesting and fun to see what kind of results occur from this tournament, especially in teams. Heck, I'll even pay your admission. It's very little money to me.
That's very cool of you Thomas but i'll see how things go. Heck of course I would love to go to a low tier tourney. I think anyone who mains a low tier wants to.

If ROFL and I teamed it would be over in doubles lol. Double Luigi FTW!

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
Will Ultra Luigi take it all?
Will Gabe's Yoshi do what he does best?
Will Arash's Bowser make a statement?
Will Dodger's Kirby take us all by surprise?
Will Taj's Mewtwo make an appearance?
Will Ken's Game & Watch **** and watch?

THIS IS SO EXCITING!!

By the way. My Zelda is going to take it all for the record.

Elvis

Smash Journeyman
In your hot sisters room!! and in La Habra Califor
I think I have a good chance of wininng with my PEEKS. Keep Luigi in. I want the finals to be aganist me and The Grinch.
i wanna come if kanzaki isnt here on time can u give em a lift? :laugh: i could finally play evilnemesis ;)

Elvis! Im shocked at you! >__> (for those who are confused, Im a friend of his and I use Yoshi)

Can I come? Jovan, can I get a ride? I'll chip in for some gas money.
:laugh: i fogot u used yoshi ;)

Zenith

Smash Ace
Hey JOVAN.
If u remember a long time ago I said we otta play sometime.

SOON WILL BE THE TIME!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Hirsine

Smash Journeyman
Suggestion

Okay, I was working on this for a few hours now - The Stages. If you don't like my ideas on stage selection, at least be considerate on the amount of thought I put into it to make it fair.

SO HERE'S HOW IT WORKS!! There will be SEVEN stages. Stage selection will be RANDOM. However, each player is allowed to ban ONE STAGE EACH if they truly feel that a certain stage will seriously handicap their performance.

Here are the stages that I'm thinking so far. This isn't final yet because I want to hear from you first.

Final Destination
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi's Story
Dreamland 64
Donkey Kong 64
Yoshi's Island

Here's why. FD and Battlefield I consider to be the only random-free stages. Pokemon Stadium doesn't really favor one character type or another because it constantly changes. So I consider these 3 to be the only real neutral stages.

Then I took playing styles into consideration. Characters can be good at vertical KOs or horizontal KOs and players can survive better with vertical recovery and horizontal recovery. So I tried to balance it like this:

Yoshi's Story - Easy KO off the top, Easy KO off the sides
Dreamland 64 - Hard KO off the top, Hard KO off the sides
DK 64 - Hard KO off the top, Easy KO off the sides
Yoshi's Island - Easy KO off the top, Hard KO off the sides

I was also considering Kongo Jungle over DK64 but I'm scared of cheap kills from rock camping and random clap traps.

Also, allowing one ban each allows you to remove any stage that you really feel would hurt your performance. Keep that in mind.

Again, I need your opinions. This isn't set in stone yet. What do you think of the 7 stages? What do you think of all random select with 1 ban each? I spent a couple of hours looking into this.
Hey Thomas, I think that is a pretty good list, even if I think Yoshi's Island is a big gamble, but you could put it in anyway:)

Kongo Jungle's rock camping is probably the biggest problem, even though there is no sufficient long distance attacks(except y links boomerang) for those on the rocks, the ones above the rocks can use their fireballs to pelt the rock camper(like Pika's angled spit). For those who don't pelt, it who be hard for those who have approach the camper if they are chars with high priority attacks. As for my vote of this: no for this stage

As for me suggesting other stages, I'm thinking really crazy picks like Peaches Castle and Fourside, but like said these are random. I'm just wanting to go to different places while fighting someone:)

Now, can someone get me some meat, lard, or fat, because I'm freezing here!:psycho: :laugh:

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
You know what? I changed my mind on YOSHI'S ISLAND. I'm going to replace it with Corneria. I tested that stage a lot and yeah....... It's really random!! Sometimes you bounce around the blocks in crazy ways and get crazy kills..... Unless you're good at teching. That's the only way you can prevent ******** KOs. So I dunno but it seems more wise to just not risk it and switch it with Corneria. But the random stage select will probably stand, as I'm trying to avoid stage counter-picking. However, I will probably still allow character counter-picking.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
Why not a simple MLG stage thing? =/

Corneria's one of my favorite stages, but it's a gigantic camping stage.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
No more losing, I'm coming to this to win >:)

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Why not a simple MLG stage thing? =/

Corneria's one of my favorite stages, but it's a gigantic camping stage.
Well the balance with low tier characters will be different than it is with everyone. Kongo Jungle favors peach so much , but without peach in the mix, it's a pretty good stage for everyone to fight on.

ThomaSexy

Smash Ace
I'm aiming for January 27 but I need to hear from Luigi first. But that's what I HOPE for. Any update on the availability of that date Luigi?

Oh! VERY IMPORTANT!! I really need help with people bringing tvs and gamecubes. I might even offer a discount for those who bring BOTH. In fact, I probably will offer a discount but I might then have to retract the "free" food part. It turns out that I don't have as much money as I originally thought so I can only offer a couple hundred dollars of benefits. But it's still good right?

By the way, I'm thinking $5.00 off for bringing both.

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
I'm aiming for January 27 but I need to hear from Luigi first. But that's what I HOPE for. Any update on the availability of that date Luigi?

Oh! VERY IMPORTANT!! I really need help with people bringing tvs and gamecubes. I might even offer a discount for those who bring BOTH. In fact, I probably will offer a discount but I might then have to retract the "free" food part. It turns out that I don't have as much money as I originally thought so I can only offer a couple hundred dollars of benefits. But it's still good right?

=) I was bringing TVs and cubes anyway, so sure

Elvis

Smash Journeyman
In your hot sisters room!! and in La Habra Califor

welll i might be out of my punishment by the 27th... so i might sill go... and if i do ill bring a t.v. a V.C.R. and a cube..

Top Bottom