• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So we're good at platform canceling now

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
considering I start 90% of my tourney matches on smashville I'm gonna say thats a given

but I was more trying to say, is it worth learning application wise?
when someone is on a platform above you and they arent mk, chances are they're going to predict an utilt/uair. this generally means they'll shield/roll. if you jump up, platform cancel and grab them, thats a pretty **** mix up. or alternatively you could take the man's approach (which is surprisingly viable) and c4 sticky them :D

Tenki

Smash Hero
reposting here.

So thanks to the Falcon boards, I am messing around with an old, overlooked Brawl AT known as platform cancelling.

Basically, if you're holding down as you're rising through a moving platform and release at the right time, you'll immediately land on it. No fall time.

Further more, if you buffer a movement, you'll have a better chance of clinging to the platform and perform it (ex: neutral air will become a jab). testing edit: If you use an action to land, you can hold down the whole time and just worry about timing the action correctly!

So I was messing around on SV doing this with Sonic (the pure, hold/release [down] method) and it was meh - not so consistent. However, airdodging also counts as an action that helped him cling to the platform and it buffers shield - so I'm using this to aid my terrible reflex and get this thing down.

----

So basically, the pure input would be to hold [down], then release it at some point when the feet/landing points are close enough to a moving platform. If my testing that day was correct, then you could just hold [down] then perform an action (C4, shield, etc) at around the same point in time you'd normally release it, so I guess it feels like it helps you "click" onto the platform. It definitely feels easier to do with taller characters like Falcon/Snake.

@ stages:
I didn't think about it at the time, but I guess it'd also work on Frigate Orpheon and occasionally, Brinstar.

:093:

Underload

Lazy
Positioning, ease of getting onto platforms, various shielded drop-through shenanigans, buffer moves when getting onto a platform...

Be creative.

you can platform cancel using any aerial by holding down and executing the aerial while passing through it >_>
Dair has fixed knockback if I recall along with Nair. FH either into a platform cancel into whatever. True combo? This sucks not being able to test anything myself.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Got this down, was easy. That being said, only used it once to punish a roll with a grab from below him.

Get opponent in a "tech" situation on platform --> platform cancel --> ??? --> Profit

SuSa

Banned via Administration
Except on RC (Where it's really...really difficult) - it has next to no use for us.

I already listed the like.... one use. I guess platform cancel --> usmash might be useful, but beyond a tech chase I see little in it.

I mean come on.. we have an 11 frame startup on our jump... worst. jump. in. game.

Underload

Lazy
I like watching mikeHAZE videos with all the dair platform canceling stuff. We can probably cop some of it, if not use it as inspiration to think of some new ****.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Platform cancel to c4 stick to fall through activate approach and punish,pressure, or dont approach andset up. situational but hey its an idea ^_^

etecoon

Smash Hero
you're probably better off NOT canceling that because you can just jump by them and stick them anyway if you think they're going to shield, much easier to punish you if you're now standing right next to them instead of falling away from them

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
you're probably better off NOT canceling that because you can just jump by them and stick them anyway if you think they're going to shield, much easier to punish you if you're now standing right next to them instead of falling away from them
again it was an idea...man yall are a tough crowd :reverse: snake isnt going anywhere in his meta game w/o creativeness hes one of da few characters with room for innovation.

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
just gonna put it out there that we can platform cancel on the lylat platforms from a fh. a little slow though.

Yikarur

Smash Master
didn't notice this thread, I can't really believe this isn't commong knownledge.
PLATFORM CANCEL IS KNOWN SINCE MARCH 08.
Serously ._.'
but I hope it will make it's way to america. Every/A lot europeans uses this since years.

Top Bottom