• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So technically, anyone who DOESN'T plank is a scrub?

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
I dont really think you fight plankers, it sounds like a beat around the bush way to make fun of brawl's weaknesses. I mean seriously, i fought maybe 30 different mks several times and never once have they even planked.

SUNG475

Smash Ace
You're saying MK uses tornado to get his dmg in...but it can be countered...I guess people don't want to take the time to see which moves can out prioritize it, but they'll take the time to complain about it instead

Plus, hold shield up.

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
This thread kind of confirms a thought I've had about the Smash Community recently: The Competitive scene is, ironically, highly uncompetitive if it is truly done the way threads like this imply it is (which I doubt it is), mostly because things tend to boil down not to "who has the best strategy / approach to winning, and thus can outdo their opponent," more towards "who can do the exact same things the best way / faster," which... isn't competitive. At least not in terms of a fighting game or outsmarting your opponent in that way, but more of a timing / memorization thing.

It's not so cut and dry as my words imply, but, the way people around here relate about their approaches to fighting and the way I've seen matches played, it seems to be becoming the case more and more. It looks like heavy competition on the surface, but upon analysis you can tell that, at times, it's actually less so.

Getting away from that seems to be why Sakurai thought to change around things in Brawl (it was at it's worst in Melee, also ironically), but he kind of failed and went too far besides...

Bottom line. No competition, no matter how competitive, should ever boil down to becoming boring, no matter how much the players want to "play to win" (an annoyingly vague blanket phrase, just like "play for fun"). In fact, wanting to win more should make players more resourceful, not less.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
This thread kind of confirms a thought I've had about the Smash Community recently: The Competitive scene is, ironically, highly uncompetitive if it is truly done the way threads like this imply it is (which I doubt it is), mostly because things tend to boil down not to "who has the best strategy / approach to winning, and thus can outdo their opponent," more towards "who can do the exact same things the best way / faster," which... isn't competitive.
I wouldn't say the competitive scene is uncompetitive. I would just say the game sucks. :chuckle: *goes back to playing one piece grand adventure*

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Play Diddy Kong and this problem magically disappears :laugh:

This thread kind of confirms a thought I've had about the Smash Community recently: The Competitive scene is, ironically, highly uncompetitive if it is truly done the way threads like this imply it is (which I doubt it is), mostly because things tend to boil down not to "who has the best strategy / approach to winning, and thus can outdo their opponent," more towards "who can do the exact same things the best way / faster," which... isn't competitive. At least not in terms of a fighting game or outsmarting your opponent in that way, but more of a timing / memorization thing.

It's not so cut and dry as my words imply, but, the way people around here relate about their approaches to fighting and the way I've seen matches played, it seems to be becoming the case more and more. It looks like heavy competition on the surface, but upon analysis you can tell that, at times, it's actually less so.

Getting away from that seems to be why Sakurai thought to change around things in Brawl (it was at it's worst in Melee, also ironically), but he kind of failed and went too far besides...

Bottom line. No competition, no matter how competitive, should ever boil down to becoming boring, no matter how much the players want to "play to win" (an annoyingly vague blanket phrase, just like "play for fun"). In fact, wanting to win more should make players more resourceful, not less.
Relevant Reading/shameless plug
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=208416

JacobWins

Smash Journeyman
This **** ruins the game.

Planking or anything of the sort is CHEAP

Yeah I said it.

Playing to win isn't worth it unless you have a little fun

Levitas

the moon
I find my own conclusions.

1. Planking is gay

2. Scrubs are bad

3. Anyone who isn't planking is a scrub.

C. Anyone who isn't gay is bad.

Now, let's phrase that conclusion in the form of a fortune.

Anyone who isn't gay is bad... in bed.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Its called "Gannondorf"
If you really have the balls to plank against him, I salute you.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I actually find planking fun, at least the Mr. Game & Watch version of it. Regardless though, it's not the most safe thing out there; the risk-reward looks very skewed from my perspective. If you plank you risk getting meteored or otherwise gimped to your death. You stand to gain a free hit from an aerial. The odds of hitting are much higher than the odds of dying, but how many hits do you think you can get on an intelligent opponent's approach attempts? Do you think it will be enough to make up for the occasional times you die while planking? Obviously the result will be different based on the opponent (and a very large number of characters have projectiles that make the whole endeavor a waste of time), and I'm not really sure how it works out. I really wish people wouldn't refuse to use these sorts of tactics mostly because the main practical result of their refusal is that it obscures the effectiveness of the tactics...

~StarDust~

Smash Apprentice
aw man, planking is the most boring way to try to win a match, like a ledge grab can easily be avoider provided that the person hanging is still hanging. I like to just go into the fight and take it easy anmd see what will happen

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
I use Lucario, Pikachu, and Snake, so I don't really have any problems with planking, in theory anyways. With Lucario, run-off-Dair ***** ledgecampers and outright stagespikes them if done properly. Otherwise, Aura Sphere hits MK off the ledge, and I'm pretty sure Fsmash hits him, as well. Dtilt as well as down-angled Ftilt probably hits MK for Lucario. Never tried it myself, though. Lucario shouldn't really have much problems with Meta Knight ledgecamping, in theory anyways. Especially since all Planking does is stall and slowly rack up damage, and you really don't want to be facing a Lucario who's controlling center stage, since he dies later on that way, which means a sad Meta Knight ledgecamper. D:

Pikachu doesn't have much problems with ledgecampers due to Thunder Jolt, If he gets off the ledge, launch another one or two or three. He'll get hit eventually, and this'll almost definitely get him to stop camping once he reaches a higher % than you. I guess you could also wavebounce thunders and stuff as well. This, combined with the fact that 99% of his moveset hits people on the ledge (like Fsmash), especially MK due to his awkward ledge-grabbing animation where he slightly leaks over the top, and the fact that he can now ledge cancel Quick Attack directly into attacks means I'm not as worried about ledge-camping MKs as some other characters.

Snake, I've never fought a ledge-camping MK with Snake before, so I'm not sure what his options are. I know I've been hit by enemy snakes with Lucario when I was actually at the tip of his utilt range and slightly BELOW him, so I bet it could hit MK off the ledge, as would probably Dtilt, or I could probably just time nades to hit the ledge, or something, I guess. Snake probably has more problems with ledgecamping MKs than my other two characters, or I simply haven't figured out what he can do against ledgecamping MKs, so yeah. I use Lucario against most MKs I meet anyways, so bleh.

I can see how planking could really screw up some characters horribly, especially some matchups that may have been even otherwise, like maybe Falco, with no real attacks to hit ledgecampers, or DDD, without any real reliable way to get him off the ledge, or Luigi, with the same problems as the first two (I know DDD and Luigi wouldn't probably be even even without planking, though) .

Planking is boring to use and boring to fight, regardless, unless you play Pikachu/Lucario/Diddy Kong/Ganondorf/Mr. Game&Watch/etc.

I don't like it, but I try to deal with it. I'd love to see it banned, though. It'd make high-level matches so much more interesting.

Bluebottel

Smash Cadet
No competition, no matter how competitive, should ever boil down to becoming boring, no matter how much the players want to "play to win"
What up with the quotes surrounding want to win anyway? I have fun trying to win, if you dont then quit tournaments/competition.
Its just your opinion mixed with pseudo science/psychological gibberish.

~StarDust~

Smash Apprentice
I don't like it, but I try to deal with it. I'd love to see it banned, though. It'd make high-level matches so much more interesting.
That i agree with. it would be alot better that way and it would sort the pros from the frauds

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
What up with the quotes surrounding want to win anyway? I have fun trying to win, if you dont then quit tournaments/competition.
Its just your opinion mixed with pseudo science/psychological gibberish.
I actually explained the quote in the next sentence. I find "play to win" and "play for fun" to be annoyingly vague, because they're basically just black and white.

I love how people find inventive ways to justify disregarding what other people say (pseudo-science, that's a new one, calling a dissenting opinion "gibberish" is such an old dodge that I barely noticed it when I read your comment). Technically you could call it philosophy, which still isn't the same anyway.

It isn't some sort of complex theory. My points are right out, should you take the time to read them instead of onceing over it and declaring it nonsense since it disagrees with general point (though, I am assuming that it disagrees with your point).

I can tell you didn't read it because my post in no way criticizes the play to win mentality. At all. It criticizes the fact that strategy and competition are leaving the competitive scene of Smash.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Technically yes because, in competitive gaming, you're supposed to do whatever it takes to win even if it means playing outlandishly gay and pissing other people off in the process. :laugh: If you're playing as Metaknight and you're opponent can even stand to look at you after the match is over, you're not playing as him right. :psycho:

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
No. "Stalling" is banned.

Do what might be stalling = get complaints = get DQed after a few = you didn't win.

I don't want to do that. Also, playing to win also might mean MMs, and if someone saw you do that you won't get any MMs.

So, playing to win, in a larger spectrum, might not involve Planking, depending on how the TO's strictness.

benefluence

Smash Rookie
'Playing to win' is not ill defined. A game is a set of rules that determine how the game is to be played, and one or more conditions that qualify as 'winning' the game. In the case of Brawl, the ruleset would be the conditions inherent in the programming of the game (characters, controls, stages, movesets, etc.) as well as any further rules imposed by tournament hosts (timed stock matches, items off, limited stage selection, any character or technique bans, etc.). You win a match if your opponent loses three stock before you do or you're ahead at the end of the time limit.

Playing to win means using whatever techniques possible to win within the rules of the game. No tactic is considered too 'cheap' or 'boring' to use. If the most consistent way for someone playing meta knight to win is to hit their opponent once and sit on the edge for the rest of the match, then that's what they're going to do.

Not playing to win would mean imposing any additional restriction upon oneself beyond the ruleset. If a player ever refuses to ledge camp because they think it's boring, or takes it easy on an incompetent opponent because they feel bad about 0-deathing them 3 or 4 times in a row, that player is not playing to win.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Yeah it's boring as hell, but you're playing to win, not for fun.

Whoever has the higher percent loses the match if time runs out, by most tourney rulesets.

If you're metaknight on the ledge, how the heck are they going to stop you?
All the problems with competitive Brawl right there.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Just like Buzz mentioned, "if" planking constantly helps you out almost everytime then I guess it's the right option, the opposite can also be said.

Top Bottom