• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So on a scale of sugar cane farm to salt mines how upset are people that THIS is Real.

Yep I am srs.

• Sugar Cane Farm

Votes: 168 81.6%
  • Salt Mine

Votes: 49 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Thank God; a person with a brain. I wish I was one of these simpletons that didn't care about characters and just was like "derp; there goes crazy Sakurai again. I love it!"; I can't even bear to watch GameXplain's discussion because I know they're going to be praising how no one saw it coming - that doesn't make for a good choice.

I will again certify that they did an amazing job executing the character given the circumstances.

The one saving grace is them acting like this is just some day-one bonus that not much mind should be given to.
It was a bad choice, but it works. It works better than it has any right to. The moveset is unique and it was so far out of left field that I can't hate it, it's like The Room of super smash bros fighters. And also it's probably going to be pretty high tier which I find hilarious.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Thank God; a person with a brain. I wish I was one of these simpletons that didn't care about characters and just was like "derp; there goes crazy Sakurai again. I love it!"; I can't even bear to watch GameXplain's discussion because I know they're going to be praising how no one saw it coming - that doesn't make for a good choice.

I will again certify that they did an amazing job executing the character given the circumstances.

The one saving grace is them acting like this is just some day-one bonus that not much mind should be given to.
"A person with an actual brain."

"Simpletons."

People like you make characters like PP all the more satisfying. Just the fact that you're taking this so personally to the point where you're throwing passive aggressive remarks at other users and acting superior means you fully deserve Piranha Plant.

And he's awesome by the way. I can appreciate random characters and he actually looks more fun than any other newcomer in my opinion. So no salt here at all.

Everyone needs to remember: this game is not just about us and giving us everything we want. This is Sakurai's art, and as a creator, he has some level of creative say in his product. He gave us dozens of our most beloved characters. Characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Piranha Plant are his bit of input. Everyone acts like directors are slaves to everyone else's whims.

Last edited:

Durnt

Smash Cadet
I am enjoying my reading of yalls opinions and onions give me some onions... Back to deh ting! Like any sensible person imma enjoy what i get sure might be sad if i no get that person maybe smash 6 or 7 once Sakurai awakens from his Ultimate Nap and is bregant with smash 6 first.

Dan

Smash Lord
"A person with an actual brain."

"Simpletons."

People like you make characters like PP all the more satisfying. Just the fact that you're taking this so personally to the point where you're throwing passive aggressive remarks at other users and acting superior means you fully deserve Piranha Plant.

And he's awesome by the way. I can appreciate random characters and he actually looks more fun than any other newcomer in my opinion. So no salt here at all.

Everyone needs to remember: this game is not just about us and giving us everything we want. This is Sakurai's art, and as a creator, he has some level of creative say in his product. He gave us dozens of our most beloved characters. Characters like Wii Fit Trainer and Piranha Plant are his bit of input. Everyone acts like directors are slaves to everyone else's whims.
I refuse to accept Piranha Plant.

Piranha Plant pissed off so many people that Goku is confirmed.

Really, I agree with most of your post, but the difference between this game and others is that Sakurai did not create the majoirty of this content; he is just acting a curator/mediator of sorts, so he should be doing a better job of accepting fan input. All I've seen so far is Ridley, Rool and to a lesser degree Simon (cuase he would've gotten in regardless of support).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

But Steve did make it in...

View attachment 174968

:p
Simple; he ate Steve.

The problem Piranha Plant has to deal with at a much larger extent than Ken and Incineroar did was expectations versus reality, where expectations, whether you bought into the Grinch leak or assumed something else (which NOBODY was predicting this character) would clash with the reality, resulting in bitter feelings. This also would result in people feeling that the bar for acceptance has been lowered greatly where a generic enemy can be playable while their all-around character is an AT or a spirit. This is unavoidable, so we must have to live with this being a salt mine for a long time.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm kind of greedy and never satisfied, which is good I guess, cause it keeps me interested; after Wii U I had literally game-planned in my head that the perfect Smash would be Melee 2 with every character + Ridely (I think I called it Smash Tournament Fighter or something) and here we are, and I'm still begging for more. :laugh: All I really wanted was Ridley and Rool, and now I've jumped to Geno and Banjo.
Not always getting who you want is fine. These things happen and going on a tirade online is pointless. Life is too short and there many more serious problems out there that need our attention.

Dan

Smash Lord
Not always getting who you want is fine. These things happen and going on a tirade online is pointless. Life is too short and there many more serious problems out there that need our attention.
I think it's obvious that video games are unimportant and frankly probably a waste in the grand scheme, but if you're gonna go that route, praising the character is equally as pointless; people get all butthurt when someone doesn't like something. People have every right to critique just as much as praise.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I think it's obvious that video games are unimportant and frankly probably a waste in the grand scheme, but if you're gonna go that route, praising the character is equally as pointless; people get all butthurt when someone doesn't like something. People have every right to critique just as much as praise.
I wouldn't say video games are unimportant. They are an outlet, like most forms of entertainment.

And getting butthurt over one character choice when you got most of your wanted is not critique. it's just whining and being greedy, you said so yourself. Critique is a detailed analysis and assessment of something like a person's work or ideas. Whining forgoes any kind of constructive criticism and instead just spells out "Appease me" or "I want more", at least in this context. The negativity it brings about also makes it less likely for others to respect one's opinion and draw in empathy. If you got most of who you wanted, it looks like a win to me. With around 76 choices in the roster, what harm causes a handful that you don't like?
If it's 'All or nothing', that'll bring you nothing but frustration and misery, because life is filled with little concessions and no one is truly in control of what happens around them.

Dan

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say video games are unimportant. They are an outlet, like most forms of entertainment.

And getting butthurt over one character choice when you got most of your wanted is not critique. it's just whining and being greedy, you said so yourself. Critique is a detailed analysis and assessment of something like a person's work or ideas. Whining forgoes any kind of constructive criticism and instead just spells out "Appease me" or "I want more", at least in this context. The negativity it brings about also makes it less likely for others to respect one's opinion and draw in empathy. If you got most of who you wanted, it looks like a win to me. With around 76 choices in the roster, what harm causes a handful that you don't like?
If it's 'All or nothing', that'll bring you nothing but frustration and misery, because life is filled with little concessions and no one is truly in control of what happens around them.
I'm still allowed to complain; that's what the internet is for. ;) Again, complaining is what got Ridley and K. Rool in the game.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Anyone who is actually mad about this just thinks he took a slot from someone they think "deserves" it more, which is always a crappy way to think in the first place.

He's an extra bonus character, he didnt take any of your precious "slots"

Waluigi is my #1 wanted newcomer yet I'm completely happy with this, such a Sakurai pick.

see the sig

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Its funny; everyone thinks PP is a lame, undeserving addition to the roster on account of being a generic baddy. But let's be objective here and take off our bias glasses:

-He is historically significant, being an antagonist older than Bowser himself and being a foe in the classic Mario Bros Arcade, making him a classic fighter in the same vein as G&W and Pac-Man.

-He has appeared in literally dozens of games as a recurring obstacle and foe. He is prevalent in both Mario and Yoshi games, and demonstrates a wide number of abilities, like breathing fire, breathing poison, eating Mario or Yoshi, growing into long vines, attacking from pipes in any direction, producing offspring, and spitting spike balls at the heroes. In fact, Piranha Plants have among the most abilities of any Mario mook, making them much more interesting than a simple Goomba or Koopa Troopa.

-He is a completely unexpected fighter that totally works and fits right in, yet no one ever saw coming; something Sakurai works hard to dish out every game whenever he can. He always tries to be one step ahead of speculators and make unexpected choices (R.O.B., WFT, Robin and Lucina over Chrom etc.). And with PP, he succeeded.

-PP is, being factual, blunt, objective and unbiased, more iconic than virtually every highly speculated fighter: Isaac, K. Rool, Shantae and especially Geno. Ask anyone if they know what a Piranha Plant is, and if they have even vague knowledge of Mario, they'll know straight away. Geno? Isaac? Banjo-Kazooie? Skull Kid? Much less likely.

-In a roundabout way, man-eating plants in general are a recurring theme in multiple Nintendo games and other franchises. People keep calling PP "a stupid plant" but the reality is that this trope of man-eating plants has also appeared in Pokemon (Bellsprout), Zelda (Deku Baba), Final Fantasy (Malboro/Ochu) and even the popular indie game Plants vs Zombies, which has appeared on Nintendo systems (Chomper). In a strange way, PP represents a bigger part of gaming history than we think about.

-PP looks straight up fun. Being honest, I think he looks more fun than I could ever imagine Geno or Skull Kid being. Entirely subjective of course, but there's more creativity and personality in his moveset than many other fighters, and he doesn't even have a face or proper limbs. He's amazing to behold.

In conclusion, Piranha Plant should stop taking flak for "using up roster spots". He is perfectly deserving, and Sakurai has a right to add his own creative ideas to his creation. The guy looks like he's wasting away from stress and is unbelievably tired. He gave us 74 fighters we wanted. My verdict is let him have the one odd fighter he wanted, and stop being greedy. There is no way to please everyone, so sometimes you need to do something fun for yourself; throw randomness at the wall and see what sticks. And that is Piranha Plant in a nutshell.

A year from now, we will all hail this character as a complete fit and a genius addition, once the salt has worn off. You can count on it.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
He is historically significant, being an antagonist older than Bowser himself and being a foe in the classic Mario Bros Arcade, making him a classic fighter in the same vein as G&W and Pac-Man.
Just one note - Piranha Plant was not in Mario Bros. It debuted in Super Mario Bros. Which is actually pretty significant, I think. The Mario series hosts so many iconic enemy types that are well known to those who have barely even played Mario games, and most of the big ones originated from that game. I'd easily put it as the third most significant after Goomba and Koopa Troopa, and can be the most interesting fighter of those three by far. So I sort of see it as a stand-in for all the delightful and bizarre critters that you fight in the Mario series.

I said this before, but I would definitely be salty about Piranha Plant if K. Rool was in, so I sympathize with supporters of other characters... although if I'm honest, K. Rool is in a tier of significance above and beyond most of the remaining characters (Dixie, Bandana Dee and Toad being the big exceptions), so I don't feel like Piranha Plant being in over Geno or Shantae or something is some case of misaligned priorities.

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Just one note - Piranha Plant was not in Mario Bros. It debuted in Super Mario Bros. Which is actually pretty significant, I think. The Mario series hosts so many iconic enemy types that are well known to those who have barely even played Mario games, and most of the big ones originated from that game. I'd easily put it as the third most significant after Goomba and Koopa Troopa, and can be the most interesting fighter of those three by far. So I sort of see it as a stand-in for all the delightful and bizarre critters that you fight in the Mario series.

I said this before, but I would definitely be salty about Piranha Plant if K. Rool was in, so I sympathize with supporters of other characters... although if I'm honest, K. Rool is in a tier of significance above and beyond most of the remaining characters (Dixie, Bandana Dee and Toad being the big exceptions), so I don't feel like Piranha Plant being in over Geno or Shantae or something is some case of misaligned priorities.
Wasn't he? I know Koopa Troopas and Crabs appeared and there were pipes, I thought the pipes had piranhas in them that popped out on occasion too. Huh, still an old school iconic enemy though. He captures that classic Mario spirit and I think he fits quite well.

Dan

Smash Lord
Anyone who is actually mad about this just thinks he took a slot from someone they think "deserves" it more, which is always a crappy way to think in the first place.

He's an extra bonus character, he didnt take any of your precious "slots"

Waluigi is my #1 wanted newcomer yet I'm completely happy with this, such a Sakurai pick.

see the sig
It's quite simple: tell team to stop working on Piranha Plant, tell team to work on new character.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It's quite simple: tell team to stop working on Piranha Plant, tell team to work on new character.
They wouldn’t do that just because of some brat throwing a temper tantrum.

Dan

Smash Lord
They wouldn’t do that just because of some brat throwing a temper tantrum.
I'm just saying that's how it works logistically; you guys are essentially saying it was all or nothing for the plant: if they couldn't do it, then they wouldn't do anyone at all.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Do I have to explain the concept of time and space next?
Nutty kids still think Plant took a spot from someone else lol.

The game was done, hes extra.

Do you cry when you get a toy in your cereal box too?

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Nutty kids still think Plant took a spot from someone else lol.

The game was done, hes extra.

Do you cry when you get a toy in your cereal box too?
He cries because he got a G.I. Joe when he wanted a Barbie.

Dan

Smash Lord
So you're essentially saying it was all or nothing for the plant? If they wouldn't or couldn't have done it, they wouldn't have done another character instead?

aarchak

Smash Ace
Dude if you are so against the character maybe go somewhere else? We dont wanna drown in the tears.
Can you like, not mock people for their opinions? People are allowed to be disappointed or want another character instead, and they're allowed to voice their opinions on the subject, can you not harass them for it? And by the way, this is a thread for opinions on the character. You have no right to say he shouldn't post here.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Can you like, not mock people for their opinions? People are allowed to be disappointed or want another character instead, and they're allowed to voice their opinions on the subject, can you not harass them for it? And by the way, this is a thread for opinions on the character. You have no right to say he shouldn't post here.
He's going through all the trouble to come to a forum for a character he doesnt like to cry about him, just sounds like he needs better ways to fill his time is all.

aarchak

Smash Ace
He's going through all the trouble to come to a forum for a character he doesnt like to cry about him, just sounds like he needs better ways to fill his time is all.
Sounds more like he's debating the necessity to bring the plant as a character, and even then you still shouldn't be mocking people for their opinions. Also, this thread is a poll for opinions on the character, negative opinions are just as valid here as positive ones.

Dan

Smash Lord
Dude, the thread is made for being salty about the character; if you can't take that, then maybe you should be the one leaving the thread. You praising the character is no better way to spend your time than me dissing it.

Snorkel the dolphin

Cetacean Gamer
Switch FC
SW 6666 6666 6666
Hey, let's try to keep it civil everyone. Piranha Plant brought a lot of joy to me. Since before Smash 4 my top dream characters were King K. Rool, Larry Koopa and Petey Piranha and, in a sense, all of them are in the game now. I think I even like the basic piranha plant even more than Petey, it's just such an iconic enemy, everyone recognizes it, and it's so much more flavorful than if they were to add a Goomba or a Koopa Troopa. Even if you're disappointed in him try and keep in mind he's a free promotional bonus character and there's still five more DLC characters to come.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Thick-headed folks will always think he took a "slot" from their pipe dream characters and hate him for it, when it was stated many times he is a FREE BONUS character haha.

Fun new addition.

Dan

Smash Lord
Dev time is dev time man; I imagine they would've done someone else had they not done the plant.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's knock it off with the one-liner/trollish/spammy posts, please.

You don't need to reply.

You can answer the thread's question without sniping at each other or mocking other people. It's not that hard.

Durnt

Smash Cadet
Let's knock it off with the one-liner/trollish/spammy posts, please.

You don't need to reply.

You can answer the thread's question without sniping at each other or mocking other people. It's not that hard.
Thanks for that. Yes please keep the snips and stuffs at a minimum all I made this thread for was to see how this character appealed to them.

Top Bottom