• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So on a scale of sugar cane farm to salt mines how upset are people that THIS is Real.

Yep I am srs.

• Sugar Cane Farm

Votes: 168 81.6%
  • Salt Mine

Votes: 49 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Durnt

Smash Cadet
As I am sure most of us saw we have a Piranha Plant as a character. SO how does that make yall feel?? Me personally I wanted to be surprised with the unexpected and hey it happened not even mad in the slightest.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
It's amazing in my opinion. Didn't see it coming, he looks so fun to play as, and I love the really random eclectic characters.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I’m still mindblown. I think it’s great and it emphasizes Sakurai’s unique charm.

Last edited:

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
I totally saw this coming. Sakurai loves to put WTF characters in Smash, and Piranha Plant fit the bill perfectly.

Dan

Smash Lord
I cannot stand this; I wish I was in the majority of people that are okay with everything and like everything.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I'm only mildly salty, because I think Geno deserved the spot more. Mostly I'm just scratching my head. At least Pirahna Plant looks fun to play as.

Wiinner159

Smash Hero
NNID
Make a guess...
3DS FC
2251-6491-9042
I was laughing too hard to be upset, also I already got who I wanted so PP was just icing on the cake. Gotta love how random and silly this boy is

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
My friend went on an hour long rant to me about Piranha Plant. It’s either you’re salty or okay with it. lol. There is no in between

Rose alumna

Smash Journeyman
I'm a sucker for Obscure characters and did you see its little feet that peeks out the bottom of the pot when it does certain moves so cute!!!

smileMasky

Smash Ace
NNID
TPPyro
3DS FC
1349-6667-1990
I ain't guna lie if my Dee boi don't come I'm a main this Hungry boy right here I ain't even made just amazed

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
simply put, it creates dumb scenarios that make for good memories. Nothing like beating someone's best character with WFT while claiming "get fit" after making a strong connecting blow, crawling under a spammer's projectile game with a really dumb crawl, or landing Greninja's attack taunt randomly in a serious match. Did you know you can punt jigglypuff with Sonic's forward throw at around 150% with rage. Like he literally punts her into the background. You can't tell me that's not hilarious.

Its the same reason why I plan on picking Isabelle against characters like Ridley and Cloud. Pirahna plant just seems to have that level of dumb about him that I'm certain will make for some fun times.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
It’s a good “**** you” character if you beat someone with him. That how I feel when someone changes to Jigglypuff. Also Pichu is good too.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm more shocked than upset, since this is a character who presumably had no real chance of being made playable.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Well I’m definitely Sugar Cane high about its inclusion. Like, I always wanted Petey Piranha to get in as playable but knew that it’s just wasn’t going to happen this installement or even the next several. But THIS just took my breath away & just made me outright gleeful when I saw it on the Official Website (ended u skipping the Direct due to RL). Whist it wasn’t Petey, the pure creativity of having a sole Playable Piranha Plant that incorporated elements from the large majority of Piranha Plant be sphinxes just outright amazes to innermost part of my :awesome:Spirit:awesome:! Through despite this, Petey still have the chance to become playable within a future instalment since he still have alot of exclusive/related unique elements going for him than what a regular Piranha Plant could do, along with havin a larger size, heftier weight. & just havin a completely different anatomy in general!

But all in all, Im just completely speechless with glee at this completely out there but BRILLIANT Character Concept, & am looking forward towards the day that this Piranha Plant shows what it can do to wide open world:joyful:!

Last edited:

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
SUCH. SWEET. SUGAR.

Piranha Plant is the final nail in the coffin of those fake "roster rules" fans have been making up for the past 10 years that I endured. Sakurai has only 2 rules for Smash reps since Brawl, and has stayed true to them. the rest is but naught made by fans.

As a bonus, this means that now Shy Guy could be a future Rep for the Yoshi series, and I freaking love it.

grizby2

Smash Lord
im torn between a bit salty and a bit happy.

salty because piranha plant got in before the likes of WALUIGI and GENO... like... what a slap in the face! Im somewhat okay with the fact that he turns into petey, so at the very least he turns into an iconic piranha plant... but STILL!

happy because I actually like piranha plants as an enemy type of Mario bros in general. they look really cool (heres hoping we get chain chomp as dlc :awesome:)

I always tell myself "at least its not Minecraft steve!"

EDIT: upon further inspection, it actually SUMMONS petey….dang.. TOO SOON SAKURAI. TOO SOON!

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
10/10 moveset. I honestly had the most positive reaction to Piranha Plant. More so than to K. Rool or Ridley. :joyful:

Now that generic enemies are no longer out of the question, give me my Waddle Dee. :chuckle:

Dan

Smash Lord
SUCH. SWEET. SUGAR.

Piranha Plant is the final nail in the coffin of those fake "roster rules" fans have been making up for the past 10 years that I endured. Sakurai has only 2 rules for Smash reps since Brawl, and has stayed true to them. the rest is but naught made by fans.

As a bonus, this means that now Shy Guy could be a future Rep for the Yoshi series, and I freaking love it.
I wouldn't mind shy guy... give me the shy guy commander from Paper Mario and have him command a little army in his vehicle; I'll take unique versions of generic characters all day.

So the first rule is that the character had to originate from a game... what is the second?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I wouldn't mind shy guy... give me the shy guy commander from Paper Mario and have him command a little army in his vehicle; I'll take unique versions of generic characters all day.

So the first rule is that the character had to originate from a game... what is the second?
the character had to have appeared in at least one game on a Nintendo system. so far every character added has filled that niche, even Cloud who appeared on like 5-6 games before FF7(FINALLY!) came to the Switch.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
I love this character. This was the best WTF character we have ever gotten it. I love Baby Petey, really excited to play him

But yea as far as salt goes, I haven't seen people having meltdowns like this since President Trump won the election lmao

Oddball

Smash Lord
I'm only mildly salty, because I think Geno deserved the spot more.
He really didn't. Geno has never been an important character. He was in one game back in the 90s and really was the least important member of the cast in it.

At least Pirahna Plant is an iconic Mario enemy.

And I'm LOVING his inclusion. It's such an oddball choice.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
The fun part is that this only reinforces that, at its core, Smash is about having fun. A character doesn't have to be famous, relevant, popular, or even a specific individual. This divides people into two camps:

Those who talk about 'worth' and 'deserving', and those laughing because they like how cooky the idea is. The inclusion of Pirahna Plant actually gives hope to the less known or 'relevant' character...but no seriously, how cooky is that madman Sakurai!? Someone call MacDonalds, because I'm Lovin' it!

Dan

Smash Lord
He really didn't. Geno has never been an important character. He was in one game back in the 90s and really was the least important member of the cast in it.

At least Pirahna Plant is an iconic Mario enemy.

And I'm LOVING his inclusion. It's such an oddball choice.
I'm not trying to say one character is better than the other, but I'm pretty sure Geno was the most important character to the story of Mario RPG.

Dan

Smash Lord
This reveal changed everything about Smash for me; it changed the fabric of the game, newcomer expectations and to not expect anything anymore. This is more than a joke character.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I love this!

Shows that the man is unreadable! And the plant looks absolutely hilarious!

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Regardless of how you feel for this character, let's not use the buzzword "deserving". I dislike the mindset where someone has to be made into a scapegoat for all of your issues. This game has plenty of heavy hitters in its roster and you have plenty of character choices to choose from already, plus there aren't that many highly requested characters left anyways.
Developers shouldn't forsake their own ideas all the time to appease the fans. They don't need to ask permission from me or you to see if it's ok to add a character they thought would be a fun addition. When you say a character is deserving over another, you are already attaching your own subjectivity to it. You may say that Geno is deserving because you personally like the character. You are using your own bias as a measuring stick of why this character needs to be in the game over every other possible choice. But to other people, like me, they don't feel the same as you. I'm neutral towards Geno, as in that I'm not asking for him but I'm not opposed. It would be silly for me to argue that you are wrong for wanting him, and vice versa. Which is why characters like Piranha Plant, and other examples that came before it have every right to exist in this game. One character out of a 70 something shouldn't be ruining the experience for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom