• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So on a scale of sugar cane farm to salt mines how upset are people that THIS is Real.

Yep I am srs.

• Sugar Cane Farm

Votes: 168 81.6%
  • Salt Mine

Votes: 49 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
A character that's actually on the roster like Cloud would make a better example than a character we don't know would ever make it into Smash. Otherwise, Geno, Banjo-Kazooie and Waluigi can "hypothically" get in over Battletoads.
:facepalm: No, the reason he brought up Battletoads is because it's a hypothetical example of a different new character that could theoretically take the "slot" of Geno/Banjo/Waluigi which people would be upset about. Cloud came out as DLC in a game that predates Ultimate and therefore has no interaction whatsoever with whether Geno/Banjo/Waluigi would be a newcomer in Ultimate. That example makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
What a lot of people fail to realize is that :ultpiranha: was added to be this game's surprise character, alongside :ultgnw::ultrob::ultduckhunt: from previous games. She was selected because she was a character so unpredictable that it was, literally, a surprise when she was revealed. Piranha Plant had nothing to do with the exclusion of Geno, Waluigi, Isaac, Banjo, etc. because they wouldn't have been added as surprise characters, so she isn't "stealing their roster slot" at all.

Piranha Plant was either going to be in Ultimate or she wasn't and there would be no one to fill that gap.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Since when was Piranha Plant a girl?
Some people heard that Palutena referred to Plant as a female in a Palutena's Guidance, although she was obviously referring to Viridi.

I think some small number of people just want it to be a girl for whatever reason.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Some people heard that Palutena referred to Plant as a female in a Palutena's Guidance, although she was obviously referring to Viridi.

I think some small number of people just want it to be a girl for whatever reason.
There have been confirmed female and male Piranha Plants before. [e.g. Mom Piranha and Petey Piranha respectively] You can call the plant whatever at this point. I mean, if you want to say it's a flytrap, it could be a hermaphrodite since they are both.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
There have been confirmed female and male Piranha Plants before. [e.g. Mom Piranha and Petey Piranha respectively] You can call the plant whatever at this point. I mean, if you want to say it's a flytrap, it could be a hermaphrodite since they are both.
Wow, at first I thought you called Petey a female, so I looked him up on Super Mario Wiki, found the masculine pronouns, prepared to correct you and then reread your post to realize that you said "female and male" and "Mom Piranha and Petey Piranha respectively" meaning you were calling Petey a guy all along! My bad.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Whether there are both male and female piranha plants has nothing to do with the random assumption that this one in particular is a female, and every time I see it referred to as "she" it just looks forced lmao

Sakurai explicitly uses neuter pronouns when talking about the plant in both the original Japanese and English translated November direct in which it was revealed, so as far as I'm concerned it is an it (although I reflexively use masculine pronouns quite a bit, because well over 90% of the people I play against online are males)

Last edited:

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Whether there are both male and female piranha plants has nothing to do with the random assumption that this one in particular is a female, and every time I see it referred to as "she" it just looks forced lmao

Sakurai explicitly uses neuter pronouns when talking about the plant in both the original Japanese and English translated November direct in which it was revealed, so as far as I'm concerned it is an it (although I reflexively use masculine pronouns quite a bit, because well over 90% of the people I play against online are males)
By that very notion, I could say saying he looks forced. Let people use whatever pronouns they feel like. Piranha Plant is one of the few characters where no matter what [valid] pronouns you use, you're right. I don't see why saying she is an issue.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
By that very notion, I could say saying he looks forced. Let people use whatever pronouns they feel like. Piranha Plant is one of the few characters where no matter what [valid] pronouns you use, you're right. I don't see why saying she is an issue.
I am fairly confident that when I refer to the plant as a he, I am referring to the player of the plant. But even so, you're right, calling it a he is just as incorrect as calling it a she.

Also, it's not an issue, at no point have I ever even implied that anyone needs to refer to the plant as anything and the only time I've even brought it up was when another user asked a specific question about someone else's usage. With that in mind, how about you don't go making baseless judgements and assumptions about my opinions or intentions when you clearly don't know enough to do so. I think that's a fair thing to ask of someone.

Official material (both the November direct and the in-game tips) calls the Smash Bros Piranha Plant an it. If you want to use Xe Xir and Xirs you're more than welcome to it, but that doesn't make the pronouns any more valid

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I'm well aware Piranha Plant is officially called an "it", but after everyone on Twitter started calling it a "she" I just went along with it for funsies.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I guess it's like the Pokémon. They are officially "it" no matter which gender they are, but some people would use gendered pronouns. Of course, it always sounded bad when Pokémon are called it because they are sentient characters with genders. Anyway, Piranha Plant always looked like a dude to me, so calling it a she would be off to me. Then again, Samus's armor makes her look like a guy to anyone who never played Metroid or never realized the sexier Zero Suit Samus was the same character. And there are male and female options for a lot of characters. People call Corrin a she even though the default Corrin is a male. I guess you can use whatever pronoun you want for Piranha Plant.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
I am fairly confident that when I refer to the plant as a he, I am referring to the player of the plant. But even so, you're right, calling it a he is just as incorrect as calling it a she.

Also, it's not an issue, at no point have I ever even implied that anyone needs to refer to the plant as anything and the only time I've even brought it up was when another user asked a specific question about someone else's usage. With that in mind, how about you don't go making baseless judgements and assumptions about my opinions or intentions when you clearly don't know enough to do so. I think that's a fair thing to ask of someone.

Official material (both the November direct and the in-game tips) calls the Smash Bros Piranha Plant an it. If you want to use Xe Xir and Xirs you're more than welcome to it, but that doesn't make the pronouns any more valid
>"Calls out" others for baseless assumptions
>"With that in mind, how about you don't go making baseless judgements and assumptions about my opinions or intentions when you clearly don't know enough to do so."
> [visible confusion]

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
>"Calls out" others for baseless assumptions
>"With that in mind, how about you don't go making baseless judgements and assumptions about my opinions or intentions when you clearly don't know enough to do so."
> [visible confusion]
If you are confused then that's on you :upsidedown: I haven't said anything warranting your pretentious moral high ground. nice greentext usage on not4chan btw

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
If you are confused then that's on you :upsidedown: I haven't said anything warranting your pretentious moral high ground. nice greentext usage on not4chan btw
There you go again. You accuse me of baseless assumptions, and then with far less evidence claim not only that I don't know enough to make any assumptions, but that I'm coming from a pretentious moral high ground when you have been far more aggressive and condescending so far. This exchange was a discussion over the gender of a potted plant wherein you said that it felt forced and unfair to call the plant a girl, and I said that it doesn't matter which gender the plant's called. I never once said anything derogatory towards you. Then you proceed to flip out on me for "baseless assumptions" that I never made. If I have, please provide examples and actual reasoning rather than ad hominem riddled arguments over the gender of a potted plant.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
User was warned for this post
There you go again. You accuse me of baseless assumptions, and then with far less evidence claim not only that I don't know enough to make any assumptions, but that I'm coming from a pretentious moral high ground when you have been far more aggressive and condescending so far. This exchange was a discussion over the gender of a potted plant wherein you said that it felt forced and unfair to call the plant a girl, and I said that it doesn't matter which gender the plant's called. I never once said anything derogatory towards you. Then you proceed to flip out on me for "baseless assumptions" that I never made. If I have, please provide examples and actual reasoning rather than ad hominem riddled arguments over the gender of a potted plant.
"Let people do x, I don't see why x is a problem" is the standard format for the very common situation in which one person is accusing another person of trying to put limitations on the decisions/thoughts of others, for one reason or another, and it is pretty obvious if you read anything I've said in this thread that that is not the case, as I've not even interacted with anyone that calls anyone anything. I know exactly what morality-contest driven underhanded finger-pointing looks like and don't appreciate it one bit. My only fault here is foolishly letting it get to me, so I'm done engaging w/ some random passive aggressive asshat on the internet. Piece.

Last edited:

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
"Let people do x, I don't see why x is a problem" is the standard format for the very common situation in which one person is accusing another person of trying to put limitations on the decisions/thoughts of others, for one reason or another, and it is pretty obvious if you read anything I've said in this thread that that is not the case, as I've not even interacted with anyone that calls anyone anything. I know exactly what morality-contest driven underhanded finger-pointing looks like and don't appreciate it one bit. My only fault here is foolishly letting it get to me, so I'm done engaging w/ some random passive aggressive ****** on the internet. Piece.
So me saying that it's fine, let people call the plant whatever actually triggered you this much. Have your jimmies been rustled? Have I invaded your safe space? I was genuinely trying to be nice before, but you're acting like so much of a **** that I'm done trying. You were arguing that Piranha Plant is only an it, that anyone calling Piranha Plant a female is forcing it, yet saying it's okay to call them a male because of the unfounded assumption that 90% of smash players are male. A character's gender isn't decided by who plays it, unless you're telling me samsora's peach is a boy. How is this underhanded? Who hurt you mate? [and p.s., that's the wrong peace.]

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
It feels like something that Nintendo just really wanted to do, not for fans, but for themselves and I applaud that. The game isn't just about fan service. A fact that seems to go over a lot of smash players' heads.

Firox

Smash Master
simply put, it creates dumb scenarios that make for good memories. Nothing like beating someone's best character with WFT while claiming "get fit" after making a strong connecting blow, crawling under a spammer's projectile game with a really dumb crawl, or landing Greninja's attack taunt randomly in a serious match. Did you know you can punt jigglypuff with Sonic's forward throw at around 150% with rage. Like he literally punts her into the background. You can't tell me that's not hilarious.

Its the same reason why I plan on picking Isabelle against characters like Ridley and Cloud. Pirahna plant just seems to have that level of dumb about him that I'm certain will make for some fun times.
So basically there's a crap load of ppl out there that just get off on troll picks and wreaking havoc for the hell of it. I thought it was funny how many ppl wet themselves over the novelty of piranha plant, yet 90% of them dropped him like a rock after the first week of release once they realized how janky his playstyle is. Honestly, when you think of all the actual characters that could have gotten in (Knuckles, Isaac, Geno, etc.) and instead we get trash like a nameless, faceless potted plant its just beyond pathetic.

I wouldn't be surprised if the plant fanboys were the same asshats doing the "Taunt Parties" back in Smash4. You know the ones, right? You'd go into an online FFA expecting to have a fun brawl only to find three morons spamming their taunts, preferring NOT TO FIGHT in a fighting game. You punch one and then end up getting ganged up on by all three. (On a side note, one of my absolute sweetest memories of Smash4 was having this happen to me, then rematching the turds with my main and proceeding to obliterate all three of them single-handedly.)

My point is, some people just want to watch the world burn in their stupidity and I really hope Sakurai and Nintendo don't cater any more to these types of ppl than they already have. The day they start adding tetris piece and "Labo-man" is the day we'll all know that smash has run its course. I know there's some fun and wacky stuff we can do with smash, and that's great to a degree, but I feel that the heart of the franchise is based largely on mashing up the most iconic characters in gaming and a random mob character (without even serviceable limbs, no less) doesn't really do justice to what could have gone in instead. Sorry for the rant, but let's not forget this is a fighting game. Not some meme-generating playground for trolling Otakus.

Last edited:

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
My point is, some people just want to watch the world burn in their stupidity and I really hope Sakurai and Nintendo don't cater any more to these types of ppl than they already have. The day they start adding tetris piece and "Labo-man" is the day we'll all know that smash has run its course. I know there's some fun and wacky stuff we can do with smash, and that's great to a degree, but I feel that the heart of the franchise is based largely on mashing up the most iconic characters in gaming and a random mob character (without even serviceable limbs, no less) doesn't really do justice to what could have gone in instead. Sorry for the rant, but let's not forget this is a fighting game. Not some meme-generating playground for trolling Otakus.
Ah, it's every mascot fighter's forum all over again.

Please understand that different people have different opinions. Having one no-name enemy in the game does not mean that smash devolves into a melting pot of nobodies. Back in SSB64 I'd say next to nobody had heard of Ness up until then, but here he is as a steadfast member of the roster since and he even got a semi clone.
And you mentioned it: Iconic is the name of the game. There are few enemies in Mario that are more iconic than the plant. And contrary to, say, a Goomba, the plant at least offered some varied moveset.

Firox

Smash Master
Ah, it's every mascot fighter's forum all over again.

Please understand that different people have different opinions. Having one no-name enemy in the game does not mean that smash devolves into a melting pot of nobodies. Back in SSB64 I'd say next to nobody had heard of Ness up until then, but here he is as a steadfast member of the roster since and he even got a semi clone.
And you mentioned it: Iconic is the name of the game. There are few enemies in Mario that are more iconic than the plant. And contrary to, say, a Goomba, the plant at least offered some varied moveset.
I'll give you that. The plant is definitely iconic in that respect, but why not a character like Koopa Troopa? Or Para Troopa? They would be even more recognizable and have actually been playable in previous games like mario tennis/kart. Imagine what they could do with all the shell variants of a koopa troopa (spiky shell, wings, etc.). It could be like a mix of bowser and squirtle. lol have you ever seen what the koopa troopas did in Mario Bros Z? (check out youtube if you've never seen it. It's legendary.) And Ness is a totally different animal. He is the main character of his own franchise which was widely popular in Japan. Apples and oranges in this case.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'll give you that. The plant is definitely iconic in that respect, but why not a character like Koopa Troopa? Or Para Troopa? They would be even more recognizable and have actually been playable in previous games like mario tennis/kart. Imagine what they could do with all the shell variants of a koopa troopa (spiky shell, wings, etc.). It could be like a mix of bowser and squirtle. lol have you ever seen what the koopa troopas did in Mario Bros Z? (check out youtube if you've never seen it. It's legendary.) And Ness is a totally different animal. He is the main character of his own franchise which was widely popular in Japan. Apples and oranges in this case.
  1. You said Koopas would be like Squirtle and Bowser yourself. Piranha Plant was chosen because there's no fighters quite like it.
  2. Earthbound really isn't widely popular in anywhere, it's a pretty niche series.

Firox

Smash Master
  1. You said Koopas would be like Squirtle and Bowser yourself. Piranha Plant was chosen because there's no fighters quite like it.
  2. Earthbound really isn't widely popular in anywhere, it's a pretty niche series.
1) I'll admit Plant is more ORIGINAL, but I was arguing for ICONIC. And btw, original isn't always better. Just sayin'. WFT is definitely original, but they're arguably one of the least played characters in the game due to their severe lack of appeal.

2) What evidence do you have that Earthbound wasn't poplar anywhere? Apparently it was popular enough to spawn a sequel and land Ness in Nintendo's first and greatest mashup franchise in history.

It feels like something that Nintendo just really wanted to do, not for fans, but for themselves and I applaud that. The game isn't just about fan service. A fact that seems to go over a lot of smash players' heads.
I guess this pretty much sums it up. At the end of the day, our opinions are totally irrelevant. Nintendo does what it wants regardless of who would be willing to pay for it. I will say this, though: If Minecraft Steve ends up as one of the new DLC, I ain't buyin'. That's just my random two cents.

Last edited:
Top Bottom