• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So on a scale of sugar cane farm to salt mines how upset are people that THIS is Real.

Yep I am srs.

• Sugar Cane Farm

Votes: 168 81.6%
  • Salt Mine

Votes: 49 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IronTed

Smash Ace
But Steve did make it in...

View attachment 174968

:p
Man, this takes me back. Such simpler times.

Like literally everyone I was floored. That they would choose Pirahna Plant over Toad or Geno or Waluigi or insert character here is amazing. He looks really interesting and incorporates a lot history as well. The poison, the spike ball, etc. The fact I can say "I'm totally going to main Pirahna Plant" unironically is incredible and honestly it feels comparable to being able to play as Ridley, which is very weird to me

I understand people's frustration but I think we need perspective. For newcomers (and echoes notwithstanding) we got Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool, Isabelle, and Incineroar. None of them are remotely obscure, and they all had good support as well. But let's not delude ourselves, PP is better known than any of them, or any echo for that matter. Out of the original Mario enemies, it simply has more tools to build a good moveset.

Honestly I'm glad Sakurai does these things, really knows how to surprise people. I was pondering what the surprise character would be but I would never have guessed anything anywhere near PP.

Last edited:

Durnt

Smash Cadet
Man, this takes me back. Such simpler times.

Like literally everyone I was floored. That they would choose Pirahna Plant over Toad or Geno or Waluigi or insert character here is amazing. He looks really amazing and incorporates a lot history as well. The poison, the spike ball, etc. The fact I can say "I'm totally going to main Pirahna Plant" unironically is amazing and honestly it feels comparable to being able to play as Ridley, which is very weird to me

I understand people's frustration but I think we need perspective. For newcomers (and echoes notwithstanding) we got Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool, Isabelle, and Incineroar. None of them are remotely obscure, and they all had good support as well. But let's not delude ourselves, PP is better known than any of them, or any echo for that matter. Out of the original Mario enemies, it simply has more tools to build a good moveset.

Honestly I'm glad Sakurai does these things, really knows how to surprise people. I was pondering what the surprise character would be but I would never have guessed anything anywhere near PP.
And this is why I like surprises you don't know what you'll get but hey at least they thought of something truly unique. I want the rest of the dlc characters to blow my mind even if i don't remotely know them! Cause be GLAD we are getting another smash brahs peoples.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Honestly, I don't like how they revealed a Piranha Plant as a fighter. We already have eight Mario characters. A ninth Mario rep means someone would have to be left out of a Mario themed 8-player match. And even if they wanted another Mario rep, they could have gone with Waluigi, Toad, Paper Mario, Geno or even a Koopa Troopa or Shy Guy. The Piranha Plant hadn't even been playable in any Mario game, it was only an obstacle in every game. Yep, Piranha Plant was playable in Smash before being playable in Mario Kart, Mario Party and Mario Sports games, and those games had playable generic enemies like Goombas, Koopa Troopas and Shy Guys. Wiggler made a playable appearance in Mario Kart 7, and there's still no Piranha Plant. Mario Kart 8 had Piranha Plant as a Power Up, but not a racer. Piranha Plants have been hazards in Mario Party minigames. And when Smash is meant to be a crossover between all Nintendo games, why pick a bottom-of-the-barrel character from a well represented series? That's pretty dumb in my opinion. Well at least Piranha Plant isn't counted toward the Fighter Pass, because that could have been even worse if one of the five DLC fighters was wasted on this.

Oddball

Smash Lord
Piranha Plants have been hazards in Mario Party minigames. And when Smash is meant to be a crossover between all Nintendo games, why pick a bottom-of-the-barrel character from a well represented series?
If Smash only chose safe predictable characters, it would hardly be Smash at all.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
If Smash only chose safe predictable characters, it would hardly be Smash at all.
Goku for Smash? I think Goku is an unsafe, unpredictable pick right? Okay, maybe he is predictable because he's the first non-game character Smash fans think of and there are people who genuinely want him...

Wonder Woman for Smash!

Anyway, with Piranha Plant in as the ninth character, it really makes me not want Geno. Sure, it can be fun to play as a plant, but with the Mario series so over represented, I sure hope the DLC Fighter Pass doesn't get wasted on other joke characters or characters from represented series.

Err0neousSai

Smash Rookie
PP is the Bad Box Art Mega Man of Smash to me. A neat and funny character with a poor reception mostly due to surrounding circumstances (BBAMM had it worse though).

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Last edited:

Durnt

Smash Cadet
But does it really have poor reception?
Because some recent developments might suggest otherwise: https://www.destructoid.com/warning...he-piranha-plant-amiibo-in-japan-532401.phtml

People seem to love the little guy.
And this right here is a great example to be glad we are getting something unique and original over time the Plant Jeebus will be welcomed as the revival of interesting characters besides a good laugh is need at some character reveals cuts hype down and makes it a great joke! Yall agree yes?? It's k if you don't here' to a good and fun experience we all will enjoy for a good while.

Last edited:

Durnt

Smash Cadet
To me it goes to show ya the pick was a good thing seeing how it's amiibo is being sold out I do wonder if :ultpiranha: has shield breaking properties on a few it's moves? It does have dem needle like pearly whites!

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Goku for Smash? I think Goku is an unsafe, unpredictable pick right? Okay, maybe he is predictable because he's the first non-game character Smash fans think of and there are people who genuinely want him...

Wonder Woman for Smash!

Anyway, with Piranha Plant in as the ninth character, it really makes me not want Geno. Sure, it can be fun to play as a plant, but with the Mario series so over represented, I sure hope the DLC Fighter Pass doesn't get wasted on other joke characters or characters from represented series.
lol, those are not video game characters while PP is and he is one of Mario's most famous famous enemies. PP is more like Mr. GandW.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I do not get the bias against non-video game characters. We're okay with a generic plant enemy from an overrepresented series, but a popular anime character would not be welcome even if Sakurai did the work of negotiating with Funimation, Toei, Akira Toriyama and Shueisha to get Goku in? The hypocrisy is even worse with Sora fans when they want Sora but don't think Mickey stands a chance even though Nintendo only needs to ask half the people who own Sora to get Mickey in. Because Sakurai doesn't want non-game characters? May I remind you that he said Ridley's too big and yet here he is in Ultimate as a normal-sized fighter. And he also said the Miis, Pac-Man and Villager wouldn't be a good fit for Smash, but they were in Smash 4. And here we are looking at a Mario enemy that's never been playable in a Mario sports game before. Anyone can be in Smash. Anything and anyone can be in Smash. R.O.B. was a toy. Lucario appeared in a movie before being catchable in Sinnoh. Sakurai tried to get James Bond in Melee. What's to say he won't try to get a non-game character who is easier to acquire? Or maybe even try to get Bond in a later Smash game? Cloud was a difficult character to acquire. So difficult that he doesn't even have his English voice. Yet Cloud is in Smash despite being as much of a joke request as Goku. Piranha Plant is a joke character that nobody would have requested unless they were insane. Mr. Game & Watch wasn't even a character until Melee. After all the additions up until Piranha Plant, I think we should be ready for unexpected characters for DLC. Maybe Goku could be in Smash. Maybe Mickey Mouse could be in Smash. Maybe Harry Potter? How about Waluigi gets in after he's been there as an Assist Trophy? Or maybe Shadow as and Echo Fighter even though Sakurai said there won't be Echoes for DLC? Maybe Sakurai can put himself in the game as a fighter? The possibilities are neverending. I see it, I see it now and now it's all within my reeeaaachh. Sonic the Werehog For Smash!

Nyanica

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-1263-4901-7134
I do not get the bias against non-video game characters. We're okay with a generic plant enemy from an overrepresented series, but a popular anime character would not be welcome even if Sakurai did the work of negotiating with Funimation, Toei, Akira Toriyama and Shueisha to get Goku in? The hypocrisy is even worse with Sora fans when they want Sora but don't think Mickey stands a chance even though Nintendo only needs to ask half the people who own Sora to get Mickey in. Because Sakurai doesn't want non-game characters? May I remind you that he said Ridley's too big and yet here he is in Ultimate as a normal-sized fighter. And he also said the Miis, Pac-Man and Villager wouldn't be a good fit for Smash, but they were in Smash 4. And here we are looking at a Mario enemy that's never been playable in a Mario sports game before. Anyone can be in Smash. Anything and anyone can be in Smash. R.O.B. was a toy. Lucario appeared in a movie before being catchable in Sinnoh. Sakurai tried to get James Bond in Melee. What's to say he won't try to get a non-game character who is easier to acquire? Or maybe even try to get Bond in a later Smash game? Cloud was a difficult character to acquire. So difficult that he doesn't even have his English voice. Yet Cloud is in Smash despite being as much of a joke request as Goku. Piranha Plant is a joke character that nobody would have requested unless they were insane. Mr. Game & Watch wasn't even a character until Melee. After all the additions up until Piranha Plant, I think we should be ready for unexpected characters for DLC. Maybe Goku could be in Smash. Maybe Mickey Mouse could be in Smash. Maybe Harry Potter? How about Waluigi gets in after he's been there as an Assist Trophy? Or maybe Shadow as and Echo Fighter even though Sakurai said there won't be Echoes for DLC? Maybe Sakurai can put himself in the game as a fighter? The possibilities are neverending. I see it, I see it now and now it's all within my reeeaaachh. Sonic the Werehog For Smash!
Well for one, Smash is a game crossover series, and Sakurai's probably realized the importance of that.... or perhaps maybe someone's making him realize that (Sakurai has a boss, and we need to remember that sometimes). I'm sure if Smash was 100% what Sakurai wanted it to be... it'd be a much, much different game. There'd most likely be well more than 1 non-Videogame IP represented, and a lot of the characters that we know as part of the game may not exist within the series at all (Ridley, Pac-Man, the Miis, and Villager would probably be on that list). There's an overwhelming fact that there are 74 characters in Ultimate that we know of, and ALL of them are game characters. So when people look for new candidates for characters, of course there's gonna be a bias against non-Videogame characters, they've never been in the series... unless you count R.O.B., who I personally think falls under the category of a game character considering almost all of its functionality is dependent of games, but I can see that being debated. (It's not like R.O.B. saved the Videogame industry or anything... heh).

As someone who wants to see Sora in Smash someday, Mickey really shouldn't serve a chance because one; he didn't originate as a Videogame IP, two; i'm sure Disney is much, much more protective of their mascot character as opposed to Sora, three; KH3 is coming out soon, and four; the Smash series already has ties to SE with Cloud, so i'm sure Sakurai can pull some more strings.

As for my opinions of Piranha Plant, I love the guy. Not the most logical pick... yeah, i'll admit it, but is it funny, in a sort-of charming way? Definitely. Sometimes it's better to be surprised and enjoy what you get than get exactly what you want. #PlantGang

Durnt

Smash Cadet
As for my opinions of Piranha Plant, I love the guy. Not the most logical pick... yeah, i'll admit it, but is it funny, in a sort-of charming way? Definitely. Sometimes it's better to be surprised and enjoy what you get than get exactly what you want. #PlantGang
But yeah if we always got what we wanted it would be boring and stale like sad cake on Thursdays! Can't wait for those DLC characters I want the picks to be sooo off of the radar that like i said before in another post NOT EVEN TIME AND SPACE AND HORSE JEEBUS saw it coming!

4 more days people and it's out :ultpiranha: WOOT!!

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Because Smash Bros is a VIDEO GAME CROSSOVER, having characters that originate elsewhere cheapens that. Also Sora is a video game character, just in a game with Disney characters. Again PP is one of Mario's most famous enemies, and we don't have generic enemies in Smash yet, and he was chosen over other famous Mario enemies because it is a plant. This doesn't open the floodgates and is likely a one time thing

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Smash was a Nintendo crossover first until Snake came along. Honestly, I don't think a character's origin should matter for their inclusion. Especially on a thread about a Mario plant enemy making it in. We need to stay on topic. I'll probably have some fun with Piranha Plant when he comes out.

JasmineTx

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5172-4346-9894
tbh I thought Piranha Plant was just an assist trophy or something, because I didn't actually view the release video in English XD
inb4 top tier boi tho

lady_sky skipper

Smash Ace
Smash was a Nintendo crossover first until Snake came along. Honestly, I don't think a character's origin should matter for their inclusion. Especially on a thread about a Mario plant enemy making it in. We need to stay on topic. I'll probably have some fun with Piranha Plant when he comes out.
In Smash's case the character's origin does matter since Nintendo did constantly mentioned in their advertising for Ultimate that heroes from GAMING worlds would collide and honestly, having a character in Ultimate that originated from an anime or a comic would destroy any chances of an obscure Nintendo/3rd party character being in Smash. (Also IMHO Tony, Lark, and Kiwi from Pilotwings or Leila and Albatross from Rolling Thunder or Dr. Yuichiro Tomari from Ordyne are far more deserving to be in Smash Ultimate than Goku from Dragon Ball Z.)

Anyway in order to stay on topic, I'm actually cool with Piranah Plant in Smash Ultimate myself because maybe Nintendo will put in Waddle Doo as a fighter once Smash 6 rolls around. ;)

Durnt

Smash Cadet
Thanks for kinda staying on topic yall but please place your off topic onions in else places either way glad more people are posting still shows how connected we can be to a certain degree...

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
You know at first, I was salty about getting another Mario rep, but now I can't wait to get Piranha Plant. Especially since he doesn't count towards the Fighter Pass.

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
This guy.......This guy gets it.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Maybe if we got rid of the non-game character rule, I can finally stop trolling YouTube comments saying my favorite character from a childhood game can't be in Smash. Disney's involvement in Kingdom Hearts makes Sora's thread look like a rule breaker, and it's awful for me to feel that because I had just bought my PS4 to pre-order Kingdom Hearts III, and why am I talking about Sora again? This is a Piranha Plant thread. I've already backed off from the Sora thread. Why did you quote an old comment, SAF?

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Maybe if we got rid of the non-game character rule, I can finally stop trolling YouTube comments saying my favorite character from a childhood game can't be in Smash. Disney's involvement in Kingdom Hearts makes Sora's thread look like a rule breaker, and it's awful for me to feel that because I had just bought my PS4 to pre-order Kingdom Hearts III, and why am I talking about Sora again? This is a Piranha Plant thread. I've already backed off from the Sora thread. Why did you quote an old comment, SAF?
Cause I somewhat, somehow, agree with it to an extent. Almost every Sakurai rule or denial has been disproven until now. For me, I say that if you have gaming history, move set potential, and fit with smash, you should have a shot of getting in, regardless of origin.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet
This guy.......This guy gets it.
Not really, there’s a clear difference between VG characters and Non-VG characters... it seems that the other guy is conflating the 2

Last edited:

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Not really, there’s a clear difference between VG characters and Non-VG characters... it seems that the other guy is conflating the 2
Actually there's not much of a difference. A lot of movie and cartoon characters made appearances in video games. Marvel, DC, Warner Bros, Lucasfilm, Disney, Shonen Jump, etc. have a lot of games to their brand. And of all the characters tied to those companies, only Sora could have a support thread. And as a big Kingdom Hearts fan who have seen the Disney worlds in the series and noticed the Mickey keychain on Sora's default Keyblade, plus all that time Sora has spent with Donald Duck and Goofy, I really don't like how Sora seems to be an exception to the rule.

Anyway, back on topic for Piranha Plant. Honestly, I can't wait to start playing as him. Sure, I was outraged at first, but you would have to accept things in reality that wouldn't change. When is he coming out? February?

$.A.F.

Smash Journeyman
Actually there's not much of a difference. A lot of movie and cartoon characters made appearances in video games. Marvel, DC, Warner Bros, Lucasfilm, Disney, Shonen Jump, etc. have a lot of games to their brand. And of all the characters tied to those companies, only Sora could have a support thread. And as a big Kingdom Hearts fan who have seen the Disney worlds in the series and noticed the Mickey keychain on Sora's default Keyblade, plus all that time Sora has spent with Donald Duck and Goofy, I really don't like how Sora seems to be an exception to the rule.

Anyway, back on topic for Piranha Plant. Honestly, I can't wait to start playing as him. Sure, I was outraged at first, but you would have to accept things in reality that wouldn't change. When is he coming out? February?
Yeah he comes in February.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Do we know when in February?
The Smash 4 Mewtwo version of this DLC offer ended on the last day of March and he released April 15. Sometime on or before the 15th is my estimate given that this deal ends on the last day of January. Plant amiibo comes out on the 15th so I think it lines up. Normal DLC version of plant will probably be available the last week of February.

Jboy1010

Smash Cadet

You’re completely missing the point... those characters didn’t originate from video games like Sora did. It doesn’t matter about the company that owns them, it only matter that they’re VG characters. You’re telling me that if hypothetically Sonic were brought by Cartoon Network tomorrow and then used in a bunch of crossovers with other CN characters... would that make him any less of a VG character? No, that would be absurd. There’s a bunch of Original content to pull from, there’s a bunch of iconic moments and sections (and entire games) in which you aren’t dependent on Disney characters (saying Sora needs Donald and Goofy is like saying Cloud needs Tifa and Barret), also the Mickey Keychain can easily be changed if Nomura approves (since it’s his creative vision). Besides... there’s already references to Non-VG material in smash (ash greninja). Also the Keychain if Mickey is basically the alternative logo for Disney as a company, so it doesn’t really fall under being an IP... and even if it does there’s a big difference in using a character in its entirety and using the “likeness” of a character.

Once again... you’re missing the point. Saying you’re a KH fan doesn’t make anyone feel empathy towards you... so quit trying to make people feel sorry for you.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
Sometimes we have to move on from a losing debate.

Anyway, Piranha Plant... Piranha Plant... How far can his neck stretch? Does he have a longer reach than the Belmonts' whips?

Top Bottom