• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So Ike is the first __________ character in Smash Bros series. (PoR & RD spoilers)

Windlord

Smash Journeyman
Prejudice - First off, we aren't prejudice; and we don't have anything against gay people. It's just the fact we think it's nasty to have sex and a romantic relationship with another man. That's a personal belief, and because I don't like it I don't want to main someone who is; Though I will probably main him anyway since I can say "Yoshi was gay man", and we'd be even.

Close-minded: Close minded is when you havent' examined something and has come to a rush decision without hearing all the facts behind it. Seeing as I've accessed the facts and all, and they said Ike, MIGHT be. They have no definate evidence he is versus isn't. For all we know he's bi-curious or something. Though as long as he isn't I'll main him. That and he doesn't seem gay from what I've witnessed.

Though, you're an idiot yourself for forcing your beliefs of how a open-minded should act. Just know my beliefs are my beliefs, yours are yours. I'm not forcing them on you say shut the **** up =] Thank you.

I'm from Texas? WTF that's got to do with anything? These are my own personal beliefs and perception of things. To be honest, I have nothing against them.. Just rather not hang out with them, or play a character that likes buttsecks with guys, thank you.
well said.

Ike's taunts, are WAY too manly to be gay... also has anyone ever experimented by seeing what happens if Ike has an A support with elincia at the end of RD? if no one has i am, I'm curious to see if there will be anything like there was with sothe and micaiah. doubt it, but it's possible.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
lol.

Saying you won't main a character just because they are homosexual is just plain foolishness.

That's all there is to it. Now someone plz get a mod to lock this thread.

Cless

Smash Champion
well said.

Ike's taunts, are WAY too manly to be gay... also has anyone ever experimented by seeing what happens if Ike has an A support with elincia at the end of RD? if no one has i am, I'm curious to see if there will be anything like there was with sothe and micaiah. doubt it, but it's possible.
I think Elincia can only get married to Geoffery. Ike still goes off in the end regardless. I think either Soren goes with him, or goes and does Soren things.

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
So I haven't played any FE games, but this really doesn't matter.

Ike is still badass in my eyes either way.

I laugh at anyone that looks at him differently now, especially if you originally a fan.

And who said Sonic was gay? Lol.
I did. Is there a problem with that? I can deal with it in a heartbeat.
*puts on nun's garb*

I'm only re-posting on this thread because Wu Tang Gang is a heinous blasphemy against the good Lord's name itself!

There is not a person in the WORLD that God doesn't love, and even demons have the capacity to be saved should they repent at the last moment.

*loads Gospel bullet into handgun and fires* amen!
Heinous blasphemy? You're the one making fun of God's followers. Besides, we all know that part of the bible was misquoted. If that was true, explain the 12 days of torture on Egypt where the king literally lost his son to god. If you don't respect his ways, you'll have hell to pay.
This thread was pointless to begin with and it's pointless now. Due to inconclusive " hints" and "clues" found in PoR and RD, the OP claims that Ike is gay. Then everyone takes their own little twist on it.

The gay people are all like "Ike is so interesting now that he's gay! I'm going to use him now that he's gay! I'm so glad they added a gay character! Not using Ike because he's gay is immature and homophobic, but using him specifically because he's gay is being tolerant! THANK YOU, NINTENDO!"

The anti-gay people are all "THERE'S NO ONE WAY IKE IS GAY! WHERE ARE YOU GETTING THIS? YOU ONLY WANT HIM TO BE GAY! THIS MAKES ME SO ANGRY! GOD SHALL SMITE THY HOMOSEXUAL WAYS IN HIS DAY OF ETERNAL JUDGMENT"!

Basically, everyone believes what they want about something that A) can't be confirmed and B) has nothing to do with anything, especially not Brawl. This debate belongs in a Fire Emblem forum at best, and a yaoi fangirl forum at least.

Let's stop going in circle's and talk about something that actually matters.
Ahem, I know you're referring to me. To conclude that Ike is a blasphemic disgrace to humanity/homosexual from a simple conversation is outrageous and complete ***gotry. They were having a friendly conversation, and I didn't see much to raise controversy about. I mean, seriously, why would Ike be a gay piece of horse **** anyways? Only good gays are lesbians, since they're much more visually appealing to me.

Cless

Smash Champion
Ahem, I know you're referring to me. To conclude that Ike is a blasphemic disgrace to humanity/homosexual from a simple conversation is outrageous and complete ***gotry. They were having a friendly conversation, and I didn't see much to raise controversy about. I mean, seriously, why would Ike be a gay piece of horse **** anyways? Only good gays are lesbians, since they're much more visually appealing to me.
Hypocrisy much?

This thread is bullcrap and flamebait. It really needs to be closed now. We all had out fun, and it has almost nothing to do with Brawl and certainly nothing to do with Ike's gameplay. We all have our different views and opinions and no amount of arguing is going to change them. Take this to the Light House or Pool Room or something.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
Crap!

You knows what this mean?

This means that the yaoi-fanboys of Ike/Soren WINS!

now every popular yaoi-pairing now has a chance of actually happening.
Sora/Riku
Stan/Kyle
Sonic/Tails

Mama

Smash Ace
Not to revive an old dead thread but I must say this was some pretty funny stuff. I didn't bother reading through all the gay non gay crap though.

All I'm gonna say is the only thing Ike did was comfort some crying dude. He also didn't make relationships with some girls that hit on him but aside from that thats really all there is to it. I don't see how this thread has so many pages.

If Ike was gay though I probably wouldn't play as him tbh lol. Not anti gay or anything, I just think its gross xD. (one of my crew mates is gay and I don't care but that doesn't mean I'd watch him kiss a dude.)

Cless

Smash Champion
It's not like Ike is gonna start making moves on Snake in Brawl. Some of you people's logic is astounding. Vega is bisexual, Eagle is gay, Poison is a transvestite, Bridget is a cross dresser, Venom is gay. Like, it doesn't matter within the context of the game. It doesn't even matter period.

Betaz

Smash Ace
GAH THIS THREAD IS EVIL!!!!

why won't you people just let it die so it can go into the abyss of the 2nd page -.-

.:DRAKE:.

Smash Apprentice
"I'm not homosexual but I think homosexuality is an abomination of God and all gays should burn in hell..."

Umm... what... the... ****...?

I don't care if one of Ike's taunts is he whips out a cute toyboy and bangs him onscreen - I'll still main the baddass mutha****er. Mind you, I just won't use that particular taunt...

This thread is a tad stupid, but then i'm posting in it now so I guess that says a little something about me...

Cless

Smash Champion
People, this isn't 4chan. You can't sage threads. Personally, I don't really care if this thread dies or not, but a lot of you do, so stop posting in it if you care so much. Send a pm in response to a post instead.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
I'm not reading through this entire stupid topic. I read the first 4 pages.

First of all, FE7 has zero gay/lesbian endings. Raven and Lucius is a "friend" ending. Lyn and Florina is SO far away from canon I can't even begin to describe it. Hector and Florina, Rath and Lyn, and Eliwood and Ninian are the closest ones to canon. Although it could be Hector and Lyn, depending on preference (I like Hector and Florina better and think it makes more sense). Especially since Hector's wife dies from illness before the start of FE6. Florina, being frail, is more likely to be that person. Also, it makes more sense that both Rath and Lyn died fighting on the Sacaen plains against Bern. So neither Raven and Lucius or Lyn and Florina are canon couples.

In FE9/10, Ike acts like someone only concentrated on the war and the Greil Mercenaries. The only girl to actually hit on him IS creepy. I could fully see that action being made by a straight guy too. She is VERY forward. And especially for a guy that doesn't wish to concentrate on sex over avenging his father and finishing a war. Ike is the typical untouchable hero. He is not brought down to something such as love which can break your heart and control you. He is the legendary hero archetype which shows asexual tendencies over either sexual preference. Soren though, was a neglected child because he was a branded. The only person in the world who accepted him as a person despite being a branded was Ike, and thus feels a certain loyalty to Ike. They are best friends, and that is all that is implied in the game, ever.

If he were gay? So what. But the game doesn't even hint at it much and makes more sense with an explanation of asexuality.

Oh, and while Princess Elincia may show gratitude to Ike, she doesn't actually show an, "I want you inside me," side to Ike. Throughout the first game and second game, she loves Geoffrey. This only became stronger during Ike's 3 year absence.

Oh, and also to add, you see him outright refuse one coming onto him. The only other one is Marcia just teasing him. She doesn't actually show any interest in him. How many guys came onto him? None. There is zero proof that since he neglected 2 girls, that he wouldn't also neglect 2 guys.

DannyMDEFactor

Smash Cadet
After doing a little research, as far as I can tell, there's really no concrete evidence to prove whether Ike and Soren are "lovers" or just dear friends. Ike's sexuality remains a mystery.

However, Nintendo will, of course, glaze over Ike's sexuality (or the ambiguity of it) to prevent any unnecessary conflict. You are absolutely correct, it SHOULD NOT be a big deal, regardless of which way Ike swings; but it will undoubtably be unless Nintendo portrays him as steriotypically heterosexual or completely asexual. It's an unfortunate circumstance of the world we live in..
I agree with xzakcorex
The conversation was roughly translated from Japanese to English, somethings are just simply "lost in translation."
Unless Nintendo screams out "IKE IS GAY" in the English version, I believe he is not gay.
And even if HE IS gay, he's a fictional character, why the **** does anyone care? It's not like he's kissing a guy or doing anything stereotypically gay in Brawl... quite the opposite actually, in Brawl, he's this kick *** warrior dude!

AlbelNox

Smash Journeyman
It's been proven that gay is vile. Hell, in America, land of the free, Gay marriages are banned almost EVERYWHERE! It's a popular term for insulting someone as well, much like "fat". Hell, the government secret has a disliking to fat people because they're outlawing the things that make you fat like that!
Seriously, how can you be THAT racist xD you're so radical I find it hilarious.

Man, there's more world than EEUU, and more people than your friends. If you're a gay hater, obviously you won't have a gay for friend, thus making you have only heterosexual, presumably gay-haters friends, and that's why you think everyone hates gay people.

Second, there are more point of view than your one. I mean, there is people, like me, who don't believe in god. Hell, I don't need him to love a woman. Being atheist doesn't necessarily mean that you're gay, as you stated before. Also, there are people who don't believe in Heaven nor Hell, and you should respect it. Christianism says something like "Love everyone", doesn't it? Why should you hate someone for what he feels?

Dude, try to be a little open-minded. There is more to this world than what you see. And I'm not saying this trying to insult you, hell no, I'd gain nothing with that. Just try to respect people a little more, will you?

Biggie Smalls

Smash Lord
Seriously, how can you be THAT racist xD you're so radical I find it hilarious.

Man, there's more world than EEUU, and more people than your friends. If you're a gay hater, obviously you won't have a gay for friend, thus making you have only heterosexual, presumably gay-haters friends, and that's why you think everyone hates gay people.

Second, there are more point of view than your one. I mean, there is people, like me, who don't believe in god. Hell, I don't need him to love a woman. Being atheist doesn't necessarily mean that you're gay, as you stated before. Also, there are people who don't believe in Heaven nor Hell, and you should respect it. Christianism says something like "Love everyone", doesn't it? Why should you hate someone for what he feels?

Dude, try to be a little open-minded. There is more to this world than what you see. And I'm not saying this trying to insult you, hell no, I'd gain nothing with that. Just try to respect people a little more, will you?
Homosexuality isn't a race, it's a disgrace. Don't get the wrong idea, I don't go running around San Fransisco going door to door and beat up gay people. I just don't appreciated how nasty the image is, though.

I don't care if Ike is gay, Marth is the one who likes guys. plus it works out well since my gamertag is "ghey"
Ike's not gay, and Marth's straight. Don't be so conclusive.
Hypocrisy much?

This thread is bullcrap and flamebait. It really needs to be closed now. We all had out fun, and it has almost nothing to do with Brawl and certainly nothing to do with Ike's gameplay. We all have our different views and opinions and no amount of arguing is going to change them. Take this to the Light House or Pool Room or something.
Hipocrisy? How could I possibly be a hypocrite?
"I'm not homosexual but I think homosexuality is an abomination of God and all gays should burn in hell..."

Umm... what... the... ****...?

I don't care if one of Ike's taunts is he whips out a cute toyboy and bangs him onscreen - I'll still main the baddass mutha****er. Mind you, I just won't use that particular taunt...

This thread is a tad stupid, but then i'm posting in it now so I guess that says a little something about me...
So you're one of them?

Cless

Smash Champion
Hipocrisy? How could I possibly be a hypocrite?
You can't have good gay people and bad gay people. Either you think it's affront to humanity or you don't. You can't pick and choose just because gay women are aesthetically pleasing to you and gay men aren't. That is being a hypocrite.

Captain J

Smash Rookie
OH COME ON!!!
Everyone did not seriously argue about IKE'S SEXUAL ORIENTATION for 34 PAGES?!

meh, that was going to be it, but I am offended by this somehow...

For all we know, Mario, Link, hell, EVERY CHARACTER IN SMASH BROS, could be gay! Because they're fictional video game characters and have not been able to give any evidence to the contrary!!!

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I agree with xzakcorex
The conversation was roughly translated from Japanese to English, somethings are just simply "lost in translation."
Unless Nintendo screams out "IKE IS GAY" in the English version, I believe he is not gay.
And even if HE IS gay, he's a fictional character, why the **** does anyone care? It's not like he's kissing a guy or doing anything stereotypically gay in Brawl... quite the opposite actually, in Brawl, he's this kick *** warrior dude!
I'll bet you anything that if certain bigoted parents catch wind that their children are playing a game containing a homosexual, then they will freak out, and probably sue Nintendo for trying to "convert" their children.

There's no sign of it in Brawl, but the proof in PoR and RD is overwhelming that he is not straight. Three women throughout the entire storyline make either extremely obvious, slightly obvious, or very subtle passes at him (all 3, frequently), and he is consciously aware that they are, and doesn't even blink an eye.

Soren has one sob story (a good one, mind you), and he's all hugs and soft words all of a sudden.

Now, can we really say he's gay? I don't know. The story (for obvious reasons) didn't have any guys making passes at him, so we can't really be sure.

I'm betting it's just Soren though. And since Soren's not in Brawl, we can safely say that Ike is a eunuch.

WTF this the stupidest thing i ever seen how could a gay be a warrior this is so stupid man for a gay he better have tea party with peach :p IKE IS A MAN NOT A ****ING GAY
... That probably counts as the stupidest thing I'll hear today. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, the day's just starting. Sheesh... to think people still think like that these days. Have fun being insecure in your overbearing manliness.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Did you know, SSBM was rated T as well. Only, it changed to 3+ for the PAL release. America is weird like that.

Cless

Smash Champion
I'll bet you anything that if certain bigoted parents catch wind that their children are playing a game containing a homosexual, then they will freak out, and probably sue Nintendo for trying to "convert" their children.

There's no sign of it in Brawl, but the proof in PoR and RD is overwhelming that he is not straight. Three women throughout the entire storyline make either extremely obvious, slightly obvious, or very subtle passes at him (all 3, frequently), and he is consciously aware that they are, and doesn't even blink an eye.

Soren has one sob story (a good one, mind you), and he's all hugs and soft words all of a sudden.

Now, can we really say he's gay? I don't know. The story (for obvious reasons) didn't have any guys making passes at him, so we can't really be sure.

I'm betting it's just Soren though. And since Soren's not in Brawl, we can safely say that Ike is a eunuch.
You know that Ike and Soren have known each other since they were little.

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
I think its totally awesome!

Everytime there's some metrosexual guy who's totally straight in a game people yell gay about him and flame people who play with him COUGHMARTHCAUGH

And now this so called BAMF character witch everyone found the epitome of manlyness next to C falcon and snake... he's actual homo....its frikkin funny

and yuna will be trippin about this

If Ike is even homo that is, and since people like to overreact and missinterpretit (GRAMMAR) thing like this... Im not sure.

Jeremy092387

Smash Cadet
Well since this thread will never die down, I suppose I'll give my two cents. First of all, the topic creators opening comment about Ike being full blown gay is just false, not true in the slightest. THough I suppose it's up to people to make their opinion on the matter, but I don't see Ike being homosexual. His relation to Soren seems platonic at most. They never show any sexual tension it all or anything deeply romantic. A hug is a hug, it's not an indication that he wants to be in a huge romantic relationship with him. Given their past and the situation that it occured, it seemed apporpriate. Soren has never been accepted by anyone given his status as a branded. Ike showed him kindness and accepted him fully, which is why Soren is so attached to Ike as opposed to anyone else. People say Ike doesn't seem intrested in women, but he never shows interest in men either. He never shoots down any woman down either, I don't know where people get the idea that he rejects all these women that hit on him. The only reason he wasn't with Elincia is Ike's distaste for noble life.

Another thing is, this "romantic" conversation doesn't even have to happen. A great thing about Fire Emblem, is it allows characters to have open endings. Ike doesn't even have to have an ending with anyone it all. Many of pairings at the end involve a deepened friendship or even love. Raven for example, hinted to be with Lucius, another man, could be seen as gay by the FE fanbase. Does that mean Raven is full blown gay? No, he can have an ending with a woman too. Does that mean he is bisexual? I doubt it, Fire Emblem's characters are seemingly open, they seem to fall in love or share a closer bond with people they are close too, not because of their sexuality.Ike is no different or anyone in Fire Emblem games.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is for those who are saying Ike seems fully gay, he isn't. He can for him to have a relationship with Soren, but at the same time he couldn't, it's mainly the choice of the player. At best, Ike's sexuality is up to the player, if you see his relationship with Soren as gay that is.

Irae

Smash Cadet
Couple of things.
1: Fire emblem has ALWAYS featured main characters with VERY strong relationships with the same sex. They aren't all gay, they simply have a kinship, a comradery with each other, due to having fought several battles. Support convo's were meant to highlight this.

2: Even if he IS gay, who cares? I think the bigotry in this thread is apalling. I am a Christian, so I'm "supposed" to hate gays, but I don't. I have SEVERAL homosexual friends. I still love them as I was commanded in the Bible. I don't understand how Christians can be so bigoted.

That's all for now... :p

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Couple of things.
1: Fire emblem has ALWAYS featured main characters with VERY strong relationships with the same sex. They aren't all gay, they simply have a kinship, a comradery with each other, due to having fought several battles. Support convo's were meant to highlight this.

2: Even if he IS gay, who cares? I think the bigotry in this thread is apalling. I am a Christian, so I'm "supposed" to hate gays, but I don't. I have SEVERAL homosexual friends. I still love them as I was commanded in the Bible. I don't understand how Christians can be so bigoted.

That's all for now... :p
Who's telling you Christians are supposed to hate gays? your treating gays exactly the same way Jesus would. You might not support their actions, but any "christian" who hates anyone for whatever reason missed the point of their own religion.

And how is this thread still alive?

Irae

Smash Cadet
Who's telling you Christians are supposed to hate gays? your treating gays exactly the same way Jesus would. You might not support their actions, but any "christian" who hates anyone for whatever reason missed the point of their own religion.

And how is this thread still alive?
No one's "telling" me this, but if you look around, it's true.

Friggin rednecks who pretend they're christian as an excuse for their hate and bigotry....
It's quite frustrating...
Bravo to you for understanding Christianity.

SJAK47

Smash Journeyman
I'm amazed this debate is still on... I don't sense any homosexuality from Ike at all. And besides, this is Fire Emblem, and it embellishes an older practice of relationships. Men were typically closer to other men because of loyalty. I don't think just because Ike and Soren, let's say, seem to be really close means that they're really gay.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
OK, I'm not against Ike being...whatever (if anything Ike being gay was such a 180, it adds to his character a bit. At 1st he seemed like just another FE sword guy) & I've never played a FE game in my life, but in this ending where he's outed, is it the canonical ending or a possible ending? (I know it wouldn't matter. A is A and B is B in any universe, so Ike being gay in on 'outcome' pretty muchs means he's gay in any).

I still like Ike. Marth wears a god**** tierra and a wedding dress in Melee & Brawl, and I have respect for him, so I won't treat Ike any differently.

Cless

Smash Champion
I see. Still wish they had coherent support convos.
Yeah, those generic ones are terrible. A great deal about the characters and their personalities are brought out in the support convos. Like, I never knew Ilyana was hungry all the time until I read her supports.

Top Bottom