• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So if I vote Obama, I'm going to be kicked out of my grandparents house...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Link to original post: [drupal=5397]So if I vote Obama, I'm going to be kicked out of my grandparents house...[/drupal]

Just a few minutes ago, I asked my grandparents if I could vote who I wanted. My grandmother immediately replied with "sure, but if you vote Obama, I'll kick you out of the house". She went on about how Obama is this Antichrist-like person who is a Muslim who was born in Kenya (both lies) and who wanted to bring this country down to the ground. The thing is, I'm actually leaning towards voting Obama in this election. From my limited info on both candidates, I see positives in both, but I think Obama would do a better job (although again, this is my opinion and it'd be great if I knew where to go to become more informative about this election).

Right now, I'm currently living with my grandparents and despite how dysfunctional it might be, they still do love me. I'm staying here mainly to save money to go to an university (currently in a community college that's like five minutes from where I live) and because I still can't drive (my grandparents use the autism excuse for this, which kind of pisses me off). However, I do feel as there are some things that they don't understand about me that I will eventually have to reveal to them.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions; how can I tell them that I prefer Obama over Romney without getting kicked out of the house and how can I become more informative? Last thing I want to do is have to vote for Romney so that I don't get in trouble for stating preferences.

Skadorski

// s o n d e r
NNID
Skadorski
Are you old enough to vote?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but all votes are confidential, correct? It wouldn't be honest, but voting for who you want to is a right and should have nothing to do with your family or friends.
Granted, that wouldn't help the situation with your family considering you want to tell them how you feel, but from what I'm reading they're beyond listening to others and changing their political stance(s).
Sorry if this isn't the answer you're looking for, just trying to help out.

:038:

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
You know there's this thing called lying which is especially easy to do when they have no way of proving what the truth is.

Also lol Obama.

Ramen King

Smash Cadet
A). Don't tell them who you voted for.
B). Tell them after the vote has been made and stay at the house regardless of their wishes. You're bigger, stronger. I doubt she'd actually kick you out anyhow. She'd just be extremely upset/disappointed.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
^^^

If all else fails, you can fist fight your grandmother to retain the right to live there and win.

z00ted

The Assault of Laughter ﷼
**** your old *** stupid **** of a grandma and vote Obama.
She's a ****head for threatening you with something so obtuse.

Then, don't tell her or lie.
It's really really easy and you'll feel great about yourself.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You know there's this thing called lying which is especially easy to do when they have no way of proving what the truth is.

Also lol Obama.
A). Don't tell them who you voted for.
B). Tell them after the vote has been made and stay at the house regardless of their wishes. You're bigger, stronger. I doubt she'd actually kick you out anyhow. She'd just be extremely upset/disappointed.
Right, I think you should take Falcon's option.

"Hey Teran are you gay?"
"No I'm straight, look here is my girlfriend see?" *kisses cover girlfriend* "I love boobs"
"Oh cool we won't have to beat you up for being a gay, you can't be gay because gays are incaable of kissing girls."

Lying is easy and highly effective at avoiding all kinds of life problems. The truth is best saved for when it's not excessively dangerous to your health. :3

Still, lol @ voting Obama

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
gay marriage is already legal where he lives i think

not that he cares

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Wouldn't have it any other way.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Ohhh that's right, I forgot Teran doesn't live in the states.

Sometimes I wonder if that is a blessing.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It is, I can actually walk to do all my essential shopping, from food to video games.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Also, you could look into a 3rd party candidate like Gary Johnson or Jill Stein. You might end up agreeing more with one of them, eliminating the issue.
I took an online quiz and found out I sided with Johnson who I never heard of at the time. Since then, I've read up more on him and his views, he's definitely my first pick over a llama or a man-child.

@Teran
I knew your name seemed familiar. Oh, how I wish there was a sequel to Mischief Makers.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
But Teran, isn't Obama for gay marriage and Mitt not?
I'm not sure if you're seriously proposing that question given the following joke, but I'd like to take this moment to point out to people -- because I see people all over who don't seem to understand this -- that the president only has so much sway over social issues and that when there are larger problems to worry about, they should not be the deciding factor for a candidate.

That said, I hate both of the primary candidates and I'm 600% done with American politics.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
According to some long questionnaire I did, I would want to vote for Gary Johnson.

So vote Gary Johnson!

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
According to some long questionnaire I did, I would want to vote for Gary Johnson.

So vote Gary Johnson!
Yeah, I've read up on him and I agree with almost all of his policies. And I'd vote for him, but the chances of him winning are slim to none (read: none), so I now have to pick between voting for whom I actually want to win and whom I'd support, and compromising my principles and voting for the "lesser of two evils" so the greater doesn't get elected.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You know I think if all the disgruntled people who feel that they're pigeonholed into voting for just the main two voted for another party, they'd at least make some sort of impact. It would at least give other parties a bigger spotlight, and slowly they'd be able to gain a foothold.

Well that's what one would hope anyway.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You know I think if all the disgruntled people who feel that they're pigeonholed into voting for just the main two voted for another party, they'd at least make some sort of impact. It would at least give other parties a bigger spotlight, and slowly they'd be able to gain a foothold.

Well that's what one would hope anyway.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'd think, too. Problem is that so many people end up doing the lesser of two evils thing -- partially because media coverage and political discussion start to make it seem like the Republican and Democratic parties are the only parties, or at least the only relevant ones -- and so the amount of people gets split. Considering a third party has never won in the US, that also kind of puts a damper on the idea.

I also think a lot of the people who are in that sort of position get fed up with the process entirely and just don't vote.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Obama? Vote Mittens, why waste your vote on change?
I really do hope this is satirical, because this sentence is basically everything I hate about politics.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I saw Jill Stein on my campus a couple days ago. I mean, I support the awareness she's trying to bring, but it was a day after the debates and I just wanted to say, "I didn't see you on TV last night."

If you want to vote for Obama, do so. You might have to lie and say you voted for Jesus though.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
My problem with third party candidates for President is that their ideas are pretty cool, but being President is still a job that requires a certain skill set, and many of them, like Jill Stein, haven't even held office at the state level. I think that's part of the reason no one takes third parties seriously, because of the candidates they run.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
And yet they took a meathead like Schwarzenegger seriously enough to make him a governor.

Okay.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Still gotta be either Republican or Democrat lol. Maybe one day that will change but voting for anything other than Mittens or Obongo atm is just stupid.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I'd vote for Mittens because I feel Republicans are better with fiscal policies, defence policies, and ultimately I feel that a more advanced economic system lends itself to eventual social progress.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Here's why your grandmother is dumb:

1. She said he's an antichrist Muslim. Romney is a Mormon who believes god lives on the star Kolob, and that if we attain a certain level of religious perfection, we will become gods of our own planets, making him a polytheist.

2. She was upset that he was born in Kenya. Well, his dad was. Romney's dad was born in Chihuahua, Mexico, so when he tried to run for president, in I think 1968, he couldn't pass the naturalization test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom