• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I used Ike for the first time in tourney yesterday....

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
I got 4th at a small local tournament losing to Candy solidly (Snake, and Boss because I made a sloppy mistake and got Up-b'd (Luigi) as usual vs. him

1st round: SSR Peach 2-0, he's okay but inexpierenced
2nd round Meep IC's 2-1 camped the **** out of him LOLZ, no other way to beat IC's with Ike
3rd round Candy Snake, 0-2 wtf do you even do against ****ing snake? if you hit his shield with any aerial its auto ftilt.. GAY
4th round JCaesar ROB 2-0... I picked Fox to be a ****... LMFAO, sorry guys
5th round Boss 1-2, barely lost the first round, gimped him hard 2nd round, lost the last match by lagging and getting up-b'd, I need to be more patient vs Boss rofl

anyways. how the **** do I fight Snake? and how do I keep other chars with less range from hitting me? Just be patient and don't run into attacks? I feel like I get impatient with people because I want to attack

anyways needs more tips pls

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
this is what you do lolz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vblA6pbfgnw&feature=channel

seriously though:p
i say simply go for more fairs against snake and choose stages with ledges like battlefield
you can try and go in for the jab> grab since ikes hitstun is the same to to snakes(i think)

thats from my experience at leastD:

another thing i found out is that long range attacks like fair and upsmash make the grenades explode if snakes holding it without affecting you
sometimes
it helps lol

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
:x If you're over aggressive battlefield shouldn't be your cp against a smart snake. xD Every time I cp battlefield for snake it feels as if I'm helping him more than it's helping me. I'd go Delphino for a cp and be a bit more defensive and attack when the stage is in your favor.
Large walls are your friends :D

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
:x If you're over aggressive battlefield shouldn't be your cp against a smart snake. xD Every time I cp battlefield for snake it feels as if I'm helping him more than it's helping me. I'd go Delphino for a cp and be a bit more defensive and attack when the stage is in your favor.
Large walls are your friends :D
true but i was talking about being more defensive on battlefield lol

o and i forgot delfino plaza D:
how could i forget lol

•Col•

Smash Champion
Cool. :o

The matchup guide has pretty good advice for this matchup, you should go take a look at it....

But anyway, get in close to Snake so he can't spam you, but not TOO close... You have more range than Snake, so yeah.... Ike has a few moves safe when they're shielded... I believe they are... Fair, ftilt, autocanceled bair... As long as you hit with the tip of the blade...

Get Snake up into the air and get beneath him..... Then you can **** him from below... Ike can do pretty well against Snake offstage/in the air too... o-o

But yeah... Go read the matchup guide. D:

As for the "how do I keep other chars with less range from hitting me?"

Well, abuse Ike's range... And autocanceled moves like bairs/nairs, and the lesser known fullhop rising fair/dair autocancels help. Just keep them close enough so you can hit them, but they can't hit you... If they try to get really close and pressure you, just use jab as a "GTFO" move.

Jinkwai

Smash Apprentice
It sounds like you're pretty aggressive as Ike. I'd advise against this. His brick wall game may be crap, but it's pretty big if nothing else.

It also sounds like Boss knows how you play, but that's a different subject.

Like someone said earlier, check out the match up thread and play a little more defensively.

Yeah, Ike requires quite some patience...

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I got 4th at a small local tournament losing to Candy solidly (Snake, and Boss because I made a sloppy mistake and got Up-b'd (Luigi) as usual vs. him

1st round: SSR Peach 2-0, he's okay but inexpierenced
2nd round Meep IC's 2-1 camped the **** out of him LOLZ, no other way to beat IC's with Ike
3rd round Candy Snake, 0-2 wtf do you even do against ****ing snake? if you hit his shield with any aerial its auto ftilt.. GAY
4th round JCaesar ROB 2-0... I picked Fox to be a ****... LMFAO, sorry guys
5th round Boss 1-2, barely lost the first round, gimped him hard 2nd round, lost the last match by lagging and getting up-b'd, I need to be more patient vs Boss rofl

anyways. how the **** do I fight Snake? and how do I keep other chars with less range from hitting me? Just be patient and don't run into attacks? I feel like I get impatient with people because I want to attack

anyways needs more tips pls
I've seen how Candy plays, but I actually have not seen any Brawl Ike videos of you (I adored your Roy though!) so I'll try to be fairly general in my advice.

If you space the Fairs perfectly, you can keep attacking Snake's shield and his shielddrop+Ftilt won't hit you by the time you can shield it. If you shield it, drop it and jab him.

Go for jab cancels against Snake as he's heavy, large and falls fairly fast. Jab 1 to Jab 1 2 3 works well enough.

Past like 20%, Bthrow to Dash attack is a true combo on Snake, and until then he has like one frame to dodge it, give it a try.

The best way to rack up damage on him though is to space him until he gets impatient, comes close to you and you get a grab off. Then you launch him into the air with a down throw and just chase him for damage.

san.

1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
NNID
Sansoldier
3DS FC
4957-2846-2924
Jabs and Down throw are your best friend in this matchup, because once snake is in the air, the only thing he can do is try to run away to get to the ground again. Using snake's aerials against Ike is pretty easy, and you can still outrange nades or at least hit snake without hitting them. if a snake is holding a nade, either space fair, or even space dash attack near the ledge.

Hitting snake out of air dodge very easy, so always try to predict when he lands (especially on recovery), and try to short hop or something to pull the desired reaction out. Keeping the pressure on snake is key to victory, otherwise prepare to get camped really bad.

I'm not sure how well it works, but I like to aether snake out of his recovery, it works well most of the time and I rarely get punished, so that's up to you.

D

Deleted member

I played candy for crews and he beat me last stock @ 0 on battlefield. it's just a hard match.

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
Jabs and Down throw are your best friend in this matchup, because once snake is in the air, the only thing he can do is try to run away to get to the ground again. Using snake's aerials against Ike is pretty easy, and you can still outrange nades or at least hit snake without hitting them. if a snake is holding a nade, either space fair, or even space dash attack near the ledge.

Hitting snake out of air dodge very easy, so always try to predict when he lands (especially on recovery), and try to short hop or something to pull the desired reaction out. Keeping the pressure on snake is key to victory, otherwise prepare to get camped really bad.

I'm not sure how well it works, but I like to aether snake out of his recovery, it works well most of the time and I rarely get punished, so that's up to you.
If air game is what we're aiming for, then why not cp Norfair or RC? :o Your opinions on that?

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
Ok so it has to support air game, has to have close quarters, and must be bright enough and have certain stage lips. :x Hmmm I guess that leaves Battlefield and Smashville. x.x Smashville is a major no go, and Battlefield just doesn't do it for me. I guess I just have to learn how to play smarter and stick with Battlefield and Delfino.

Rykoshet

Smash Champion
Lips are pretty irrelevant. You can do ps1, halberd, delfino, lylat, yoshi's. The stage in of itself just has to be fairly close quarters since a stage like FD will just give snake a year and a day to set up a tent.

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
Actually halberd sounds like a really good choice. I'll try that next time.

Edit: xD oh lol this went from helping the thread creator to answering questions about stages. Sorry :x I'll make another thread, pm, or just refer to the Ike Guides for anything else.

Palpi

Smash Hero
I had to play 2 good snakes in my pool at CoT4 and the same thing happened. I got 2-0'd. 1 I went marth was a close match, 2nd one I went Ike and he was a better snake but I got 2 stocked. I am actually picking up ROB for that match up, though I would like to stick with all Ike, I just need my match-up experience down.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i can see how RC would work
your recovery would be more useful kinda
and you can come from under platforms
but if you miss ,you're vulnerable lol

also the stage it's self i see giving ike problems

i shall try it o-o

Top Bottom