• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So I guess ICs are "S Tier" now :) / :( ?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Me too. I'm pretty much doing Lucario at this point though, although I'll sometimes use ICs against D3/some odd MUs (although there's one D3 in my region that gets a lot of ICs practice no thanks to BUSY >=( jk )

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
against rob all you have to do is remember that although he has better range then you, he has no priority since his hurt bubbles are connected to his hitbubbles.

So just space your attacks where his arms would be if he tries to tilt or f-air you. Bam! The match-up is a lot easier. I used to have trouble with ROB until I got this mind set

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
against rob all you have to do is remember that although he has better range then you, he has no priority since his hurt bubbles are connected to his hitbubbles.

So just space your attacks where his arms would be if he tries to tilt or f-air you. Bam! The match-up is a lot easier. I used to have trouble with ROB until I got this mind set
But you lost to Chibo!

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
Vex, I will never lose to chibo again. And remember I told, I didn't realize how to bweat him until half way through the second match. I came back and was about to win when he n-air'd be at 80% :/

*hopes he doesn't lose to chibo again*

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Vex, I will never lose to chibo again. And remember I told, I didn't realize how to bweat him until half way through the second match. I came back and was about to win when he n-air'd be at 80% :/

*hopes he doesn't lose to chibo again*
You edited your post, but theres still spelling errors :/

I hope you don't lose to him again (smirk)

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
yuo konw wahts fnnuy? yuo were albe to raed tsih sentcne eaisly .

swordgard

Smash Hero
fyi i stop playing serious after a tourney. i hate how stuff like this always gets spammed everywhere
Alright thats cool then, my bad. You still did very well apex, the point was not to badmouth you. Next time il tell holy to MM you before the tourney or something.

Though in all honesty, like vex said, don't play MMs if your not going to try, its pointless.

edit: Toobusytocare, except for the west coast bias, do you have any tourney evidence of tommy being significantly better? Or are you just a troll?

Teh Future

Smash Master
actually last time i played against a ROB in tourney i lost lol.

doesn't mean its good tho i gimped myself.

I dont think you need to beat a character to say the matchup is even -_-

I secondary ROB and he doesn't do that good lol.

going even with ICs isn't an achievement, i think like 1/4 of the cast can go even with them lol

Teh Future

Smash Master
i think there is a decent rob going to the tournament im at this weekend. I will play him.

I usually play the matchup from ROBs point of view so i dont have to ditto.

if you take all the matchs ive played ic vs rob in tourney (not sets) then im 2-1 lol. i havent actually played it that much

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
Alright thats cool then, my bad. You still did very well apex, the point was not to badmouth you. Next time il tell holy to MM you before the tourney or something.

Though in all honesty, like vex said, don't play MMs if your not going to try, its pointless.

edit: Toobusytocare, except for the west coast bias, do you have any tourney evidence of tommy being significantly better? Or are you just a troll?
t0mmy gets better results, he usually places top 3 over here.
He's also way less annoying than chibo
but its mostly coast bias lol

toobusytocare, Ciz is moving back.
I KNOW!!! Papabear is coming home :]
i also heard he beat X last weekend, is that true?

toobusytocare

Smash Lord
no, just WA/OR to PA

they are probably about the same but better at different matchups
like i think t0mmy is probably better at MK, D3, and wario and chibo is better vs ICs or something

Vinnie

Smash Master
Chibo places in PA-only tourneys the same as t0mmy places in his region lol.

Too bad tristate is a full region that attends eachother's tourneys.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master

Honestly, Chibo like, never places well, I don't want to sound mean, but it's true, ESPECIALLY IN PA. He has to deal with my DDD first off, then he can't really deal with kingtoon's TL, and Squall destroys him for some reason, and Xzax beats him more then the other way around.

Chibo is a good player, but he just never really places cause ROB is bad.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama

Does he take 1/2/3rd within his state?

On one coin, you've got NY/NJ/PA which is probably better than PNW as a whole
on the same flipside of the same argument, it sounds like he doesn't get past his state (which is kinda meh) let alone his region
but on the other hand, you have the guy who's actually beaten the guy who took 3rd @ MLG, sooo by that logic...
hehe

seriously though, seeing videos from both, I'm going to have to say t0mmy's better. Like the way t0mmy plays is very poke and space oriented, he'll hover super patiently just to get a chip-in, chibo has some good proficiency with his aerials, but he hasn't flattened out some of his habits.

Vinnie

Smash Master
but on the other hand, you have the guy who's actually beaten the guy who took 3rd @ MLG, sooo by that logic...
And Chibo's 2-0'd the guy who took 2nd at Apex 2010.

LOLOL

But nah, t0mmy must be better because he's from Oregon, and you're from Oregon, and you have a red name, right?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Look at the playstyles in the following videos:
t0mmy v. Eggz
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3qPgW3z7-YI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3qPgW3z7-YI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
t0mmy v. Jem
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iItNHV5b994?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iItNHV5b994?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
clearly, a MK that knows this MU, and t0mmy still gave him a hard run for his money (has taken games off of him a couple of times)
chibo v. Xzax
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zT2SbDdQrz0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zT2SbDdQrz0?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
The MK's far sloppier in the second video (two times he like nearly kills himself, tornadoing waaaay high and there's teh drill rush), but still wins
chibo v. rain
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SB2DtcU4GQI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SB2DtcU4GQI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
rain's MK clearly has not experienced in this MU, ran into very typical ROB stuff (fell for tons of lingering nairs/bairs, got hit by gyro a lot more than he should, etc. which means he either sandbagged or didn't know the MU, which I doubt the latter lol)

That aside, there's a pretty clear difference who's ROB playstyle's more effective/"polished". Chibo plays very well, but he's very "by the book". You can tell who's made a stronger investment in the given MU, and probably the difference in skill.

I'll admit I might be a tad bit biased, but I've probably been the advocate UNTIL recently that Oregon sucks lol, and I'm a terribad player I'll admit, but I know when a player transcends its region skillwise. Our top players finally have come back, and have finally established my confidence in our region (it's still probably like 3rd/4th from bottom, but might get better lol)

lol I totally wish Red name = skill+respect bonus, that's a pretty funny assumption though.

edit: @ Vex, stingers admitted t0mmy might be the best ROB, does that say anything? Not that you've been siding with anything in this convo lol.

Vinnie

Smash Master
Who cares who looks flashier?

Going by placings, t0mmy can be better because he wins in an easier region.
Going by accomplishments? t0mmy has Jem, Felix... err... is that it? Chibo has players like Brood, RAIN, Candy, Takeover, Tearbear, and LOTS of others that I don't feel like looking up atm :p.
And then there's stingers.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
edit: @ Vex, stingers admitted t0mmy might be the best ROB, does that say anything? Not that you've been engaged in this convo lol.
I...don't really care what he admitted to, I admit Kingkong is the best Bowser now, but thats because I don't care about the character anymore, so it may not be true, but it's whatever really lol(Kkong if you read this, you're still amazing). I noticed Stingers plays more MK now, so maybe he doesn't care about ROB as much?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
not flashiness, he's got the MU down to the frame.

His use of every move is very "frame by frame", he hardly ever gets ***** by nado unless the MK has a strong mastery and knowledge of how to abuse it in the MU.

The video of Xzax v. Chibo is a pretty good illustration of probably good players, but very "rough around the edges", having bad habits, not getting inputs, having obvious errors, etc. But hey, bias is bias.
(all of these matches are fairly recent btw.)

edit: I still can't believe all those on that list lost aside from inexperience/novelty in the MU.

tbh though this isn't the ROB boards, and I couldn't care less about the given character aside from maybe learning it as ICs, and I think I've made a strong enough argument that says that t0mmy's definitely not to be shrugged at.

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
not flashiness, he's got the MU down to the frame.

His use of every move is very "frame by frame", he hardly ever gets ***** by nado unless the MK has a strong mastery and knowledge of how to abuse it in the MU.

The video of Xzax v. Chibo is a pretty good illustration of probably good players, but very "rough around the edges", having bad habits, not getting inputs, having obvious errors, etc.

but hey, bias is bias.

all of these matches are recent btw.

I still can't believe all those on that list lost aside from inexperience/novelty in the MU.

tbh though this isn't the ROB boards, and I couldn't care less about the given character aside from maybe learning it as ICs, and I think I've made a strong enough argument that says that t0mmy's definitely not to be shrugged at.
Exactly, who cares about ROB.... lol

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I want to learn how to beat him, which nobody aside from GIMR has been talking about lol.

the problem is that ROB's tilts may not be as amazing property-wise as MK, they are on par/possibly better frame-wise than MK's. Are they grabbable (ftilt reminds me of falco's, very strong frame advantage), or should I just outspace it w/ blizzard? What are good opportunities to use squall, considering how well a position that gives you? (and considering ROB's shield/underbelly are really bad, both are good combinations for squall to work against).

How do you desynch close while remaining safe? ROB's throws/keepaway game is nasty for separating/disrupting desynchs from what I've experienced, one/both of ROB's bthrow/fthrow iirc come out on frame 2, and obviously it's not easy to get a desynch at far ranges.

Oh yeah, and if you ever do happen to get separated, it seems that the stock is as good as boned :p

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
true true, snake is also a good one imo (gotta play a bit differently though, lots of jump lobs lol)
although I still want to see how ICs even this MU out.

Teh Future

Smash Master
walk forward. shield things. grab him. upair him when he jumps.

-_-

its not a hard matchup people just like runnning around and trying to do lots of **** when you should just beat him by abusing his weaknesses.

rob has 0 safe options against ICs. Yea he can laser any desyncs and gyro stops you from camping, but as long as you shield as he gets close hes gonna have to run away where you can hit him with any of your aerials or hes going to use *insert attack here* which you can shield grab. nothing in his grab knocks you away so its only good if it is unexpected like if he is going to run up and grab you before you can react, its not useful when you are approaching

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
whenever i watch robs play it always feels like they're just throwing big dumb hitboxes out and hoping it works unless it's NinjaLink or vinnie and it kinda really makes me mad. whenever a rob hits me with a nair and kills me i feel like pausing looking at them and going 'look you didnt read **** your robot *** is just big and dumb so it hit my AD somehow, **** you.' then casually continuing the match

Top Bottom