• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Snake Infinite Grab

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
So the Snake boards are kinda dull nowadays, thought I'd post this to spark some discussion. May or may not be known.

Is this really an infinite? Well, if you don't mess up, yes. :)

If you are on a relatively small platform like Battlefield and your opponent is also, one grab leads to infinite grabs if you've practiced enough. This doesn't work on big platforms like Smashville, but it works on small to mid size ones. Most of the Delfino ones work also.

First off, it's important to understand Snake's basic grab game. When Snake lays someone down anywhere on any map, just by holding the shield button when they lay down, you've covered 3 of their 4 options. If they roll behind you, get up normally, or use their get up attack, you either turn and Forward Tilt or shield and Forward Tilt. If they roll away they escape though.

On a platform though, what happens if they roll away? They just roll to the edge of the platform, and if Snake is in the middle of the platform, his grab range is long enough to reach to the edge. If they roll behind you, you have to be fast but you can turn around and grab before they can do anything. If they use their get up attack, you will shield it and then regrab them. This works 100% of the time, no matter what, as long as you do it right. There is no way to escape this.

Now, what your opponent is likely to do is to wait a little bit on the ground, and then either use their get up attack or roll behind you. What you can do though, is stand there without your shield on, and as SOON as you see movement, put your shield on. This way, if they use their getup attack you will powershield it, or if they roll behind you you'll have enough time to turn around and grab.

And before anyone says this doesn't work, I've done it twice in tournament. One time was on Battlefield, when I grabbed them at 0% and grabbed them until 120%, where I finished with a Utilt. The next time we were on Delfino's beach part I think, and when I grabbed him the platform rose from beneath us, and we were on the top one. I grabbed him at 20% and kept grabbing him until 120% when I finished with a Utilt. Now, granted this doesn't happen every match, but there are a lot of platforms, and you're bound to get a grab on one at some point. Practice this in friendlies...This is a free kill by all means. It is inescapable.

Enjoy Snake players. :)

strike42

Smash Journeyman
good find, i'll have to pratice this for my upcomming tourney.

DUB

Smash Lord
I've seen some people jab after they lay the opponent down and then regrab. When can do you this?

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
You can jab to regrab at any time if they don't immediately get up from the Dthrow. However, you're not going to want to do this on a platform because it allows them to escape. Play it simple with Dthrows.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Doesn't work. If the opponent doesn't stand up you have to hit him :/

strike42

Smash Journeyman
you could just wait till they get up the time the shield or spot dodge right.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Umm can't you just do the snake infinite by laying them down on the edge of a platform instead of going through all the other trouble?

Azgner

Smash Apprentice
Umm can't you just do the snake infinite by laying them down on the edge of a platform instead of going through all the other trouble?
well, the edge part requires they roll to the edge and a much more hard timing when you are goind to grab them again

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
well, the edge part requires they roll to the edge and a much more hard timing when you are goind to grab them again
Can't they airdodge out of that one? I know people say it is infinite (the one on the edge) but I coulda sworn you can airdodge, attack, or something to get out.

Joker490Frozen

Smash Champion
Can't they airdodge out of that one? I know people say it is infinite (the one on the edge) but I coulda sworn you can airdodge, attack, or something to get out.
I think that kind off grab works mostly on heavy chars, since any other ones like Marth can just do their Bair and escape it.

Amide

Smash Lord
This is probably gonna take good reflexes... Well I'll need to practice a ton, but thanks!

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
If you keep lying on the ground then what can Snake do? He can't shield all the time.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
If you keep lying on the ground then what can Snake do? He can't shield all the time.
It's in the OP. He can stand there without his shield, and put up his shield at the first movement he sees, (even if it's just rolling or something, you don't have time to figure out what they're doing.)

xxCANDYxx

Smash Lord
yea this works....ive do this alot
it gets alil tricky when ppl just stay down while your shielding
usually what i do if that happends is unshield and quickly sheild again....b/c as soon as they see any type of movement or your sheid stop for a split second they usually try to get up by press A
thats just alil something i use...not sure if other ppl would consider it

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
So what? If he uses a tilt, he removes the opponent from the desired position.

It's not infinite

StoleUrCar

Smash Journeyman
Is this so 'revolutionary' that it deserves elaborate explanation? I've done this plenty of times before and I've been the recipient of it as well. Nothing special, It's common sense after realizing the limitations that dthrow allows for.

Also it's been in the survival guide but it's mentioned in a very minor light. Too bad Rusty didn't elaborate on it...sucka... :p

CouRt

Smash Cadet
jessie snake ditto.

but regardless, there is away around this, say you both are on your first life and you have 20% and your enemy has 40% say he dthrows you on the platform, you get up and he does it again, you'll roughly be around 40%. by the time he does it the second time you should notice what he is doing, therefore, you should just lay there till he hits you, thus breaking the grab.

Hax

Smash Champion
Is this so 'revolutionary' that it deserves elaborate explanation? I've done this plenty of times before and I've been the recipient of it as well. Nothing special, It's common sense after realizing the limitations that dthrow allows for.

Also it's been in the survival guide but it's mentioned in a very minor light. Too bad Rusty didn't elaborate on it...sucka... :p
my thoughts exactly

Staco

Smash Champion
we need proofs
(showing what his opponent can do, and how snake could react)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Also, if the opponent is lying on the ground, they eventually are forced to stand up after a certain time frame so you can't just lie there forever. U only have to shield at the first sign of movement, it's not necessary to hold your shield up while they lay there.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
I haven't personally practiced this but I have seen the possibility and it definitely works. About jabbing people when they're on the ground though, it doesn't work on every character, some characters are too low to the ground for your jab hitbox. I wanna say that ftilt works on everyone on the ground but I'm not entirely sure. But either way, as was mentioned, if you're gonna try to perform this, jab -> grab isn't usually the best idea, because if they expect it and time it right, they'll do a get up attack at the same time and you lose your grab. Just shield at the first sign of movement and be quick and this is essentially flawless.

Cort

Apple Head
uh lol @ this topic
jessie snake ditto.

but regardless, there is away around this, say you both are on your first life and you have 20% and your enemy has 40% say he dthrows you on the platform, you get up and he does it again, you'll roughly be around 40%. by the time he does it the second time you should notice what he is doing, therefore, you should just lay there till he hits you, thus breaking the grab.
get off my name :mad:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
This topic is actually kinda useless.

Its not infinite. And it is scrubby.

They will just roll or whatever, and you tilt them, and be snake. Snake is good nuff' said.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
This is weird, seeing as I've known "Court" my whole life, and we're posting in the same thread with a different "Cort," but we all play Smash. Wouldn't have seen this coming 15 years ago eh Doug? Lmao

CouRt

Smash Cadet
god ****it hahahaha.
looks like you have me beat.. but we must arm wrestle to the death.
and 5 letters is clearly COOLER.

Top Bottom