• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashturbation 2010 - Markham, Ontario - July 11, 2010

sauc3

Smash Lord
i shall be bringing my capture card for a livestream, and the quality is sick! (assuming i can use the internets, if not then it will just record) lookin forward to this, hopefully I'll pick a main before it starts.

idea

Smash Master
i shall be bringing my capture card for a livestream, and the quality is sick! (assuming i can use the internets, if not then it will just record) lookin forward to this, hopefully I'll pick a main before it starts.
nice! that'll be fun.

will anybody really watch our livestream
for sure. just advertise it in some threads. people like canada, and there'll be 4 of the top 48 from pound 4 there.

sauc3

Smash Lord
hey david, what time is convenient for you to have me arrive tomorrow? I don't want to impose, and the go train runs all night, it leaves every half hour before 5, then every hour after 5.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
If we get the TVs people have confirmed, we're good for TVs. If we get the cubes and wiis people have confirmed, we're good for consoles.

What we need to do now is just make sure that we can hook everything up into the limited outlets. It's not too bad right now, since I have one, and Kyle has promised one, but we'll certainly need more than that.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I can provide you internets, probably.

Gateway

Smash Rookie
Sorry about the late notice but it turns out i cant make it, so you can take me out of the list. Hope that doesnt screw anything up.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
imma be in that stream chatroom spamming so someone keep me company on the mic so i feel like im there.

Sanu

Smash Champion
Post your predictions for singles! I felt like doing this since I actually won't be making this event, which kind of makes me sad because I'll be missing out on seeing so many of you, but whadyagonnado

1/2. Kirbykaze/Unknown522 << GLHF no johns
3/4. RaynEX/I.B << Prove me wrong barnard!!
5. weon-x << Honestly the only placing I'm 100% behind
5. idea << Beware the Europhoric Nightmare OooOooo~
7. europhoria << You can place better than this but will you? Lets see =O
7. afro << Huh who are you??
9. MadJ << You've improved a lot, don't choke and good things happen
9. Ministry << You too
9. Sleaf << *shrugs* LOL
9. sauc3 << train hard, maybe you'll get top 10 ;D

Don't hate Marco, you'll get bored and drop out of pools LOL

Geist

Smash Master
1. blowtoes
2. KK/Unknown/Raynex
3. KK/Unknown/Raynex
4. IB
5. Jagg

psyche
Actually, someone gimme props if I make it out of pools.

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
If by limited you mean in actual player skill, then I disagree. Being inexperienced is a reason TO commit. That's how you get better.

Its attitudes like this that would have stopped so many pro players from getting good. Everyone was TERRIBLE at one point. I couldn't place top 20 in any tournament the first 2 and a half years I played...locally. That's incredibly sad, because for many years our players got smashed every time they went to the U.S.

Now Unknown522, KirbyKaze, I.B. and I are top 48 in the world.

Doesn't matter what skill level you are. No offense to Summonedfist, but don't listen to him on this one. Come out, ask questions and get better - otherwise you won't get anywhere. The main thing to remember at events like these is that losing, against any kind of player, is a learning experience. Use that loss to pick at your mistakes and tighten up your game.
LOL bernard calm down >_> when i meant limited i meant by time and resources LOL

fyi bernard i've been going to imadh's either weekly/biweekly and travelling to hamilton as well just to play smash >_>

i even went all the way to newmarket to get some playing in lol, that's almost a 2 hour drive in bad traffic LOL

i'm also 90% going to apex

and when i mean "too bad no one commits" is cuz you rarely see that many ppl travel >_> cuz i wish i wasn't the only one in my area or could have other ppl to play lol

i understand i was vague, but bernard, calm down >_>

i WISH i lived in a city with ppl committing to be tops. i don't know how imadh keeps it up so well, but you/ryan/david living quite close to each other is just conveniently amazing lol

D

Deleted member

My call is 1/2. puu/puu (I'll find a way).

Horrible jokes aside, does anyone have a video of the "average" kind of player at this kind of tournament? I only ask this because I recently saw a couple of videos of a couple of people going (KK and IB) and yeah, I'm not there. Based on the above posts that's not what everyone will be like, so does anyone have a video of a somewhat average player going to the tourney?

Summonedfist

Smash Lord
you can check my channel

they're super average (friendlies) LOL

tho i'm not going to the tourney, there are ppl i play that are going :)

edit: are you just asking in general for vids of ppl that are gonna be at the tourney? it's sorta wordy and confusing lol

cuz chances are you won't find many recent tourney vids, but maybe friendlies

Sanu

Smash Champion
My call is 1/2. puu/puu (I'll find a way).

Horrible jokes aside, does anyone have a video of the "average" kind of player at this kind of tournament? I only ask this because I recently saw a couple of videos of a couple of people going (KK and IB) and yeah, I'm not there. Based on the above posts that's not what everyone will be like, so does anyone have a video of a somewhat average player going to the tourney?
Why are you even worrying about something so pointless? Just go to the tournament and enjoy yourself, maybe you'll learn something in the process too ;D

D

Deleted member

you can check my channel

they're super average (friendlies) LOL

tho i'm not going to the tourney, there are ppl i play that are going :)

edit: are you just asking in general for vids of ppl that are gonna be at the tourney? it's sorta wordy and confusing lol

cuz chances are you won't find many recent tourney vids, but maybe friendlies
Just the general level at which people will be, mostly out of curiosity.

Why are you even worrying about something so pointless? Just go to the tournament and enjoy yourself, maybe you'll learn something in the process too ;D
I'm gonna enjoy myself either way, yeah. I mainly just wanted to know what to expect in terms of general skill etc. You're, I'll definitely learn a lot at the tournament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2CM0RJIi5A

There's your smelly videos of our average player.

(RaynEX is not the average player)
Ah, thanks. that's around where I thought it would be (although the falcon getting killed so badly does make him look a lot worse than he probably is).

idea

Smash Master
i dunno, it's so ambiguous, you never know how hard anyone is trying or how much they care about winning =P also videos aren't a good representation of skill level anyway.

it doesn't help that our community has huge skill level gaps between groups of people, so there might not be anyone right in the middle of the mean average. but meh.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
LOL bernard calm down >_> when i meant limited i meant by time and resources LOL

fyi bernard i've been going to imadh's either weekly/biweekly and travelling to hamilton as well just to play smash >_>

i even went all the way to newmarket to get some playing in lol, that's almost a 2 hour drive in bad traffic LOL

i'm also 90% going to apex

and when i mean "too bad no one commits" is cuz you rarely see that many ppl travel >_> cuz i wish i wasn't the only one in my area or could have other ppl to play lol

i understand i was vague, but bernard, calm down >_>

i WISH i lived in a city with ppl committing to be tops. i don't know how imadh keeps it up so well, but you/ryan/david living quite close to each other is just conveniently amazing lol
I didn't want you to give new players a skewed representation of our community and its efforts to improve. Its their first tournament, and the first local one we've organized in a LONG time. I apologize, and maybe I did get a bit defensive. But when I say, lets do this and this and this to help new players out... the last thing they need to be reading is

Too bad no one is committed enough...

or is too limited to be able to commit. >_>
It just doesn't sit well. Also considering many of us are committed, its only really our numbers that have dwindled.

lol david isn't that a bad representation of their skilllevel since the vid is so old?

and josh has a point =D
It's a bad representation because poor Afro got **** on. Its only a little over a year old. Still viable in my eyes.

i dunno, it's so ambiguous, you never know how hard anyone is trying or how much they care about winning =P also videos aren't a good representation of skill level anyway.

it doesn't help that our community has huge skill level gaps between groups of people, so there might not be anyone right in the middle of the mean average. but meh.
It's funny you bring that up. I was going to say that you're about the average level. Between placings at tournies and general skill level, I'd say I'm about right. You're not the best of the best, or the worst of the worst. Just kind of there. Which is fine because we were all there at some point.

Oh, and Josh...I'm going to win this.

idea

Smash Master
oh and, david, do you know when pools registration (whichever event comes first) will be finished? or in other words, what's the latest i can get there without making things difficult for anyone =P

Geist

Smash Master
I consider myself average :D
Wait, is Brampton considered average now, or are we still scrub tier?

edit: anyone better than me willing to team with me in doubles?

Top Bottom