• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashpocalypse IX ~ April 24th ~ Your Classic Melee Haven.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
The undercover cops came from behind and chased me and Chops mad randomly, but their real target was Chops. Chops has a generic face so cops always think he's someone else. They came out from a car yelling, "Come here mothaf*cka!" to Chops and they also said "Police!" When people are coming from behind, your initial response is to start running. Me and Chops didn't hear them yell out police because we had our headphones on, but then after running a bit I heard police so I stopped. If we would've heard them say police from the beginning, we never would have ran. Although they approached us in an unprofessional manner and like if they were gonna mug us or stab us. They put Chops on the ground mad beast for no reason. They asked us questions like where were we coming from and whats in our bags and stuff like that. I'm like, "I got a Bowser in my bag officer." LOL! Then they let us go. This happened literally across the street from my house as we were returning from SPOC. This is why I hate cops. Mad unprofessional for no reason.

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
Hey dip**** if your going to troll me about playing brawl don't post it 12 times in the same post what are you slow or something
xzax is actually really nice in person, didn't realize he was such a keyboard warrior. In response to our conversation at SPOC about what MLG's support does for Brawl, I've thought about it more, and although everyone in the community has already had this discussion, I'm new, so I figured I'd give me my input, let me know what you think:

If MLG makes as strong a commitment to brawl as KeSPA made to Starcraft, then I believe it could be a real esport. Though I personally think melee is better, that's just my opinion. The truth is, melee sold 7 million copies, and brawl sold 9.5 million copies. This leads me to the conclusion that brawl has a bigger initial fan-base, so it would be accepted a little more readily as an esport. The reason I think melee would make a better esport is completely qualitative. I think combos are great to watch, and Hax and Chops, not to mention SilentSpectre, Shiz, Scar and plenty of others, are practically walking combo videos, so I just think melee is more fun to watch, but you don't need a walking combo video to enjoy a heated match between 2 opponents. Starcraft has shown than Koreans are willing to watch for 20 minutes on average for just 1 or 2 or 3 great plays. Brawl is exciting enough to be an esport. The only problem here is MLG is run by a bunch of idiots who don't understand esports. This is the reason I think Brawl will fail, MLG sucks. If MLG hired DJ Wheat as a consultant, Brawl could be a major esport in 2011, but MLG has shown itself to be pants-on-head ******** by trying to have 4 different shooters become successful esports at the same time (2009), when currently, none of them are. Esports is not big enough for Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Call of Duty 4, and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 to all make it at the same time, and if MLG approached esports with a little more sense, maybe picked 1 shooter, and 1 fighting game, it could make esports big, but with Brawl and Tekken competing, both will fail, and MLG will switch to Street Fighter 5 when it comes out anyways, so who cares. If MLG could be reasoned with, Brawl does have potential as a progame, and Xzax could be a progamer. I hope that happens. I hope Mew2King becomes the Boxer of Brawl, (and still says melee is better.) Regardless of what I hope will happen, though, I don't think it will happen.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Interesting thought....

Either being an Esport would be really awesome. But it sounds like they're just expecting too much.

If melee was a Esport omfg I'd be ****en flipping out.

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
@ dj: cops in philly once beat up my friend with a phone book(phone books dont leave bruises) for being drunk after a punk show.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
xzax is actually really nice in person, didn't realize he was such a keyboard warrior. In response to our conversation at SPOC about what MLG's support does for Brawl, I've thought about it more, and although everyone in the community has already had this discussion, I'm new, so I figured I'd give me my input, let me know what you think:

If MLG makes as strong a commitment to brawl as KeSPA made to Starcraft, then I believe it could be a real esport. Though I personally think melee is better, that's just my opinion. The truth is, melee sold 7 million copies, and brawl sold 9.5 million copies. This leads me to the conclusion that brawl has a bigger initial fan-base, so it would be accepted a little more readily as an esport. The reason I think melee would make a better esport is completely qualitative. I think combos are great to watch, and Hax and Chops, not to mention SilentSpectre, Shiz, Scar and plenty of others, are practically walking combo videos, so I just think melee is more fun to watch, but you don't need a walking combo video to enjoy a heated match between 2 opponents. Starcraft has shown than Koreans are willing to watch for 20 minutes on average for just 1 or 2 or 3 great plays. Brawl is exciting enough to be an esport. The only problem here is MLG is run by a bunch of idiots who don't understand esports. This is the reason I think Brawl will fail, MLG sucks. If MLG hired DJ Wheat as a consultant, Brawl could be a major esport in 2011, but MLG has shown itself to be pants-on-head ******** by trying to have 4 different shooters become successful esports at the same time (2009), when currently, none of them are. Esports is not big enough for Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Call of Duty 4, and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 to all make it at the same time, and if MLG approached esports with a little more sense, maybe picked 1 shooter, and 1 fighting game, it could make esports big, but with Brawl and Tekken competing, both will fail, and MLG will switch to Street Fighter 5 when it comes out anyways, so who cares. If MLG could be reasoned with, Brawl does have potential as a progame, and Xzax could be a progamer. I hope that happens. I hope Mew2King becomes the Boxer of Brawl, (and still says melee is better.) Regardless of what I hope will happen, though, I don't think it will happen.
lolololol keyboard warrior, i love that term

Your explanation was going great and I liked some of the points you were making with citing statistics, but then completely fell apart with the loaded opinionated language you used quite often. Orlando proved to be a success for Brawl at least, and Columbus is slated to be MUCH bigger. Who cares though, it's w/e. If it does good - awesome, if not - MLG will have to rethink some plans.

But yea, let's not turn this into a Melee v Brawl thread *serious

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
not because we are silly, because the organizations are silly, i.e. they want to have new games instead of good games. melee and brawl are both difficult enough and entertaining enough to be esports, but when mlg gives a game the boot because something new came out, esports can never flourish.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Haha yea thats what I meant really. (Or at least that was the impression I got)

I just like oversimplifying stuff.

Oh well good thing theres SC to watch.

ZEROOOO YOU STILL GOT THIS.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
So, if I hosted like a giant 2 day Melee tourney in South Jersey, will everyone come + spread the word and maybe get some out of region?

I've got a sweet venue down there, I can even do overnight tourneys. I haven't been to a tourney like that in forever (Smashtastrophe 2), and it was kind of amazing.

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
If I had a venue that I could host a big tournament, I'll get mad people from all over the US and even OOC players to come. You just gotta spread the word well, Chibo.

Eggm

Smash Hero
He wants a semi national. Like a ROM size, or what FAST 1 was, or what that first georgia tournament was. Each one had like 130ish entrants for melee. Needless to say. I'd go lol.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I'd go. : D When are you planning to do this? How much do you think would costs be? Something like apex, or a little less? : D

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Maybe something like $10 venue fee (2 day tourney so its like $5 per day), $15 singles (or $10 to attract more ppl), $20 per team doubles. Then an extra $5 to be at the venue from 2am to 8am

If some adamant melee tourney goers like Eggm wouldn't mind, can you post a list of giant melee tourneys coming up between now and august? maybe il do it like at the end of june?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Ok, maybe I should rephrase. Where would I GO to to take ANY train which would take me to the possible future venue in NJ?

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
amtrack is expensive, can we take septa to njtransit?
also, xzax, I don't want to make any enemys in the smash community, we're cool, right?

Vorosh

Smash Apprentice
looked it up, you can get there on NJT for 8 dollars each way, not too bad, but still, I'd prefer another one in the philly area.

Top Bottom