• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SMASHERS UNITE! ... in Celebration. Brawl is Online, and I'm just paranoid ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClarkJables

Smash Lord
yah i thought that the fact the segwayed from brawl TO online play kind of confirmed it as an online game, but thats just me apparently. i think they are trying to be a cryptic as possible so that we will keep discussing what is going to happen to brawl, but it will in all probability have online. i just hope that this new online deal is really online and not friend-code online

Revven

FrankerZ
I'm not very familiar with GoNintendo. Isn't it a Nintendo fansite? In so, that sounds like a great idea.
If you count up to date Nintendo news by the minute as a fansite then yes. The e-mail I believe is tips@gonintendo.com. But I could be wrong so double check by going to the site and going to the contacts section (gonintendo.com is the address btw).

It'll work wonders I'm sure. :p

GraniteJJ

Smash Cadet
That's a possibility (one that I HOPE is true, in fact) but Nintendo already announced that Brawl was online - when the game was originally announced. This is old news. So why now, months before release when they are boldly proclaiming that games like Mario Kart Wii and Mario Strikers are online, do they remain silent?

I hope Nintendo will clear all this up in the near future, but until then I thought I'd at least try something constructive.

Uhhh.... sorry?
They never confirmed that it would be online. Sakurai said that if he could make it online, he would.

And earlier, you said that they have games like Mario Kart Wii, Mario Strikers Charged, etc all online. First of all, Mario Kart still has plenty of time until it releases, meaning that they have plenty of time to implement online. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is likely in the final stages of development, and they're aiming for a holiday release window. They've got a deadline hanging over their head.

And which would be better from their standpoint: Having solid multiplayer (which there may not be time for) or ****ty multiplayer (which will result in people like you *****ing in a thread from December 4th onward about how they failed us with online)?

I say if they cannot do it right, then they shouldn't do it. And I would understand completely if they couldn't get it done.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
They never confirmed that it would be online. Sakurai said that if he could make it online, he would.

And earlier, you said that they have games like Mario Kart Wii, Mario Strikers Charged, etc all online. First of all, Mario Kart still has plenty of time until it releases, meaning that they have plenty of time to implement online. Super Smash Bros. Brawl is likely in the final stages of development, and they're aiming for a holiday release window. They've got a deadline hanging over their head.

And which would be better from their standpoint: Having solid multiplayer (which there may not be time for) or ****ty multiplayer (which will result in people like you *****ing in a thread from December 4th onward about how they failed us with online)?

I say if they cannot do it right, then they shouldn't do it. And I would understand completely if they couldn't get it done.
Back when "Super Smash Bros 3" was announced for the "Revolution" as a launch title, Nintendo presiodent Iwata announced the game as an online title. So yeah, it was confirmation that the title would have online.

If Sakurai only has time to include a very primitive online mode, with some lag, where you can only play against 4 random opponents in a time match with items - I would actually be o.k. with that. I don't care if the online is perfect, as long as I can play against other human beings whenever I want. The important thing for me is that online IS included.

But that doesn't HAVE to be the case. Nintendo titles like Brawl are very often delayed so that new festures can be added. Metroid Prime Hunters was delayed from it's late 2005 release until early 2006 so that online could be added. And, of course, Twilight Princess was delayed for nearly a full year so that it could take advantage of the Wii-controls. If we raise a big enough stink and Nintendo get's enough negative press on this matter, then maybe (JUST maybe...) they will delay the game until online multiplayer can be added.

@Falco400: thanks for the tip. I definitely do that.

Crazy Ace 01

Smash Apprentice
In response to the author's initial post:

I didn't feel like reading the eight pages of the thread, so im only responding to Wiseguy's first post.

I also feel your worry. My Xbox 360 mocks my Wii as online game after game is released for it, not only with online multiplayer, but a polished and tested system as well as extra downloadable content. I too sat as my Gamecube starved and my annoyance grew. Why has Nintendo not stepped up to the plate? Who knows...

They are getting there, however. You are looking at everything with "the glass is half empty" additude. The basis of your argument is worry that the game won't have online multiplayer because they haven't announced it WILL have online multiplayer. All the other games that have confirmed multiplayer cannot be used as evidence that Brawl won't have multiplayer, because it is evidence that it WILL have multiplayer. With all of these other games coming on the Wii that will have online components, do you think Sakurai will allow Brawl to go without it? I think not. He is a man of the people, and it doesn't get much more peoplely than the internet.

So take it easy - I am confident that Brawl will be capable of online multiplayer. Reasons they have not announced it as of yet could be anything from technical issues to purposeful dramatic suspense. But rest assured, one of the greatest gaming teams ever is currently hammering away at those issues (or perhaps snickering behind their hands at our suspense).

What is the source of this confidence? Why do I think this? Well...

Nintendo has never really let us down yet... at least, they haven't let me down. Why do you think they would start now?

buderbal14

Smash Rookie
This topic is great. I sent my email to Ninty Power, and signed the online petition. All I can do now is sit back, watch the updates, and pray that Ninty will put online play in. If not I would gladly wait years for Brawl to be online.

I mean come on, If 4 player online lags to the point where you can't even play it, then I would be 100% fine with just 1v1 matches, even though I highly doubt it would lag, just look at 8 player Gears of War for the Xbox 360, and Halo 2 for the original Xbox. I know we're talking about a completely different console here, but the Wii is more powerful than the Xbox, so I'm almost positive that it could handle 2v2 or 4 Player Free-For-All online matches.

And lastly, good job TC, I'll make sure to spread the news to my friends.

~buderbal14 :lick:

Kakashi-dono

Smash Cadet
U hav got my support

ATTENTION MODS: PLEASE HEAR ME OUT BEFORE CLOSING THIS THREAD

Like most of you, I'm a huge Super Smash Bros fan. Melee is by far my favorite game of all time, SSB 64 is a close second and Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the reason that I chose to purchase a Wii. In fact, if Brawl were the only game coming out for Wii, I would consider my purchase money well spent. Because as hyped as I am for Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy, I know that within a month of their release they will both sit ideal on my shelf collecting dust. Super Smash Bros, on the other hand, is a game that can be played FOREVER – provided you have other human beings to play against. Which brings me to the topic at hand.

After watching Nintendo's E3 Press conference (via the interweb tubes) I couldn't help but feel bummed and a more than a little outraged. It wasn't that the Press conference covered mostly casual games, because I actually thought Wii Fit looked kinda neat. It wasn't that Brawl won't be released until Decemebr 3, since I'm just relieved that the game is on track to be released this year. I wasn't even that upset at the absence of another epic Brawl trailer. As long as Sakurai continues to blow our minds with new Dojo updates, I have no complaints. Besides, I'd much rather that the team focus on finishing the game ASAP.

No, what made me outraged was that Nintendo all but confirmed that Brawl would NOT HAVE ONLINE MULTIPLAYER. In the conference, Reggie Fils-Aime (the President of Nintendo's American devision) went to great lengths to try and demonstrate that Nintendo was serious about online. He touted third party efforts like Madden and Guitar Hero III as shining examples of Nintendo's commitment to online play and unveiled Mario Kart Wii – an all new game to showcase the Wii's online play. All that was well and good, but when it came to what is undoubtedly Nintendo's most anticipated online title, Super Smash Bros Brawl, nothing at all was mentioned. If fact, not only did Nintendo go through all of E3 without mentioning “Brawl” and “Online” in the same sentence, but the mention of online is also conspicuously absent from Sakurai's Dojo updates. You can see the entire Nintendo Press Conference here: http://www.gamespot.com/video/0/6174...p=e32007_index

Obviously, Nintendo hasn't confirmed that Brawl WON'T be online, but I find it very, very odd that Nintendo is saying nil about what is widely considered to be the most anticipated feature in their most anticipated game. The conclusion drawn by many, including 1up.com > http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3161020 is that the reason Nintendo hasn't been singing from the roof tops about Brawl's online mode is because there is no online mode to speak of. At the very least, Nintendo's silence on this matter at E3, and on Brawl in general, indicates that Nintendo is unclear whether Sakurai's team have time to include an online mode and still have the game completed this holiday season.

EDIT: Just to clear up any lingering doubts as to whether Nintendo confirmed Brawl to be online at their E3 Press Conferance: they didn't.

Here's Nintendo's official website: http://e3.nintendo.com/wii.html

Those who follow the links should note that Mario Kart, Mario Strikers and Zelda: Phantom Hourglass are clearly listed as using Nintendo's Wi-fi connection. There is no mention of wi-fi multiplayer being implemented in Super Smash Bros Brawl.

Be afraid. Be VERY afraid.

As much as I love Nintendo, I'm not going to mince words: IF BRAWL IS NOT ONLINE IT WILL BE A SLAP IN THE FACE TO NINTNENDO FANS EVERYWHERE! The very idea that DS games like Mario Hart DS, Metroid Prime Hunters, Clubhouse Games, Pokemon D/P and Tetris DS can be online while Smash Bros cannot is utterly repulsive. Hardcore Nintendo fans who stuck with Nintendo through the deepest, darkest droughts of the Gamecube era need a real online game to call our own. In the face of competition like Halo 3 on 360 and HOME on PS3, anything short of an online Smash Bros would be an embarrassment of the highest order.

There are six months until Brawl’s official release date. More than enough time for Nintendo to devote whatever resources Sakurai needs to include a basic online mode of some shape or form, or delay the game until early ’08 if absolutely necessary. The purpose of this thread IS NOT FOR WHINING AND COMPLAINING. There will be plenty of time for that when and if Nintendo confirms that the game’s online has been scrapped. No, this thread is about how we, the Smash Community, can make it clear to Nintendo that online play is very, very important to us thankyouverymuch.

Phase one of the Save Brawl’s Online Mode Campaign begins now. This phase is simple: we should write to Ninendo’s official magazine: Nintendo Power. And by “we” I mean EVERYONE ON SMASHBOARDS. Over 60,000 people are registered users of Smash Boards, so I don’t think it would be impossible to get, say, 10,000 of those to email Nintendo Power asking straight up: will Brawl be online or not? It might not to enough to sway Nintendo, but when the NP editors discover that we have flooded their inbox with several thousand e-mails I guarantee we will get a reaction. At the very least, they we might learn for certain whether Brawl is online or not.

If you really are a fan of Smash Bros, then I issue the following three step challenge.

STEP 1: Email Nintendo Power at this address > pulse@nintendopower.com
Write how important it is to you that Brawl is online. If you don’t own a Wii, tell them that you won’t buy one unless Brawl is online (assuming you feel that way.) If you do own a Wii, tell them you would gladly wait a whole year (if necessary) for a proper Smash Bros sequel and that you’ll happily buy plenty of other Wii games in the mean time. Heck, if you can’t think of anything to say just copy this and click “send”:

“Why didn’t Nintendo announce an online mode for Super Smash Bros Brawl at E3? Isn’t the game still online? Playing Smash Bros online is REALLY important to me, and Nintendo fans everywhere, so I hope Nintendo doesn’t let us down.

Sincerely, [insert name here]”

I recommend being polite, but firm. But you can right whatever you like.

Step 2: PM a link to this thread to everyone on your Smashboards friendlist, and beg them to take up the challenge.

We must spread the word if we want to have any impact at all. I also ask that if you are a regular poster on any other videogame forums that you make your own thread issuing this same challenge, or by all means copy what I have written and repost it.

Step 3: Use this thread to brainstorm more ideas to get Nintendo’s attention.

This is the purpose for this thread’s existence. I trust Sakurai to make the best game imaginable, but I am concerned that Nintendo won’t give him all the time he needs – considering how much money Nintendo is making on super simple, super cheap games like Wii Play. Smash Bros is OUR game, and we can either wait until it is too late and live with an online-less Smash Bros for years to come – or we step up and fight for the series that we love so much.

If you have any ideas for Phase 2 of the Save Brawl’s Online Mode Campaign, PM them to me. This thread will be updated as needed and will remain up until our friends the Mods close me down, or Nintendo confirms that Brawl is in fact online.

May the Wavedash be with you.

- Ben “Wiseguy” Hicks

Edit: We have our suggestion for Phase 2! Sign this online petition if you want online multiplayer in Super Smash Bros Brawl. Once we get enough signitures, I will send it to Nintendo of America:

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/brawlmustbeonline

(For some odd reason this petition requires an email address. I'm new to this free petition site, so if you are worried about spam you might want to be wary.)

Keep the suggestions coming!
Long live Nintendo! the name is Kakashi-dono

Kakashi-dono

Smash Cadet
Again I say....Long live Nintendo!

I didn't feel like reading the eight pages of the thread, so im only responding to Wiseguy's first post.

I also feel your worry. My Xbox 360 mocks my Wii as online game after game is released for it, not only with online multiplayer, but a polished and tested system as well as extra downloadable content. I too sat as my Gamecube starved and my annoyance grew. Why has Nintendo not stepped up to the plate? Who knows...

They are getting there, however. You are looking at everything with "the glass is half empty" additude. The basis of your argument is worry that the game won't have online multiplayer because they haven't announced it WILL have online multiplayer. All the other games that have confirmed multiplayer cannot be used as evidence that Brawl won't have multiplayer, because it is evidence that it WILL have multiplayer. With all of these other games coming on the Wii that will have online components, do you think Sakurai will allow Brawl to go without it? I think not. He is a man of the people, and it doesn't get much more peoplely than the internet.

So take it easy - I am confident that Brawl will be capable of online multiplayer. Reasons they have not announced it as of yet could be anything from technical issues to purposeful dramatic suspense. But rest assured, one of the greatest gaming teams ever is currently hammering away at those issues (or perhaps snickering behind their hands at our suspense).

Nintendo has never really let us down yet... at least, they haven't let me down. Why do you think they would start now?
If Nintendo ever let me down......I.......I.....*sigh* I cant even bear to say it.
Ive been a Nintendo fan ever since the very beginning. I mean since the absolute
beginning! They cant, i repeat, they cannot let us down now! This game is going to pwn
all fighting games. But, it will be like shooting urself in the foot if they did not make Brawl
a online game. I mean, imagine it! Ur playin Brawl, and then: *beep* *beep* *beep* so-and-so from where-ever challenges u to a match! Do u accept? Nintendo gamers, though we hav never done such a thing for any of our games, but, its time to take the next step. Whos with
me?! Im sending my email to Nintendo Power, will you? Will You?! Will You?! Will You?! Cuz if
Brawl isnt an online game, Nintendo will lose major popularity, and lose a very dedicated
fan. MY NAME IS KAKASHI-DONO! Ya dig?!??!?!

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
252 signatures in a week! Whoa, great work Wiseguy. C'mon everyone, have a link of this first page as part of your sig! Show you really care, sign the petition, add this page/the petition as a link on your sig, and send a letter to Nintendo Power.

w00t keep the support, nothing will be hurt if you support this! Only good, and more good! :) Regardless of whether you think online in Brawl is as good as in, or not, wat is wrong with showing a little support.

-Johnknight1

Wiseguy

Smash Champion

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my thread.

Understand, I'm not saying that Brawl for sure isn't going to have online. But the fact that there is even a possibility that it won't is a cause for concern, since we've all assumed that it will online since it was announced as an online title.

I have the utmost faith in Sakurai and his team - what I'm concerned about is Nintendo not giving Sakurai all the time he needs since Brawl is guaranteed to make a mint, online or no.

I really, really hope that I'm just overreacting and your confidence makes me think that maybe I am. Hopefully a future update will put a stop to this confusion.

I love Nintendo, but they are capable of mistakes (why is it in that since Melee we've had 6 Mario Parties and we're still waiting for the next Smash?) so I just hope this won't be one of those times.

This topic is great. I sent my email to Ninty Power, and signed the online petition. All I can do now is sit back, watch the updates, and pray that Ninty will put online play in. If not I would gladly wait years for Brawl to be online.

I mean come on, If 4 player online lags to the point where you can't even play it, then I would be 100% fine with just 1v1 matches, even though I highly doubt it would lag, just look at 8 player Gears of War for the Xbox 360, and Halo 2 for the original Xbox. I know we're talking about a completely different console here, but the Wii is more powerful than the Xbox, so I'm almost positive that it could handle 2v2 or 4 Player Free-For-All online matches.

And lastly, good job TC, I'll make sure to spread the news to my friends.

~buderbal14 :lick:
Thanks for the support. It's much appreciated. :)

Long live Nintendo! the name is Kakashi-dono
Indeed. Well said, Kakashi-dono.

Signed with reasonable comments, sigged also :p
Excellent! I wonder how many e-mails Nintendo Power has recieved...

If Nintendo ever let me down......I.......I.....*sigh* I cant even bear to say it.
Ive been a Nintendo fan ever since the very beginning. I mean since the absolute
beginning! They cant, i repeat, they cannot let us down now! This game is going to pwn
all fighting games. But, it will be like shooting urself in the foot if they did not make Brawl
a online game. I mean, imagine it! Ur playin Brawl, and then: *beep* *beep* *beep* so-and-so from where-ever challenges u to a match! Do u accept? Nintendo gamers, though we hav never done such a thing for any of our games, but, its time to take the next step. Whos with
me?! Im sending my email to Nintendo Power, will you? Will You?! Will You?! Will You?! Cuz if
Brawl isnt an online game, Nintendo will lose major popularity, and lose a very dedicated
fan. MY NAME IS KAKASHI-DONO! Ya dig?!??!?!
What was your name again? (I kid, I kid.)

252 signatures in a week! Whoa, great work Wiseguy. C'mon everyone, have a link of this first page as part of your sig! Show you really care, sign the petition, add this page/the petition as a link on your sig, and send a letter to Nintendo Power.

w00t keep the support, nothing will be hurt if you support this! Only good, and more good! :) Regardless of whether you think online in Brawl is as good as in, or not, wat is wrong with showing a little support.

-Johnknight1
Thanks man. :)

In other news, I've posted the mailing address of Nintendo Power in cace anyone is interested.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
What is the point of this thread? Miyamoto said in an interview that he wasn't allowed to announce any information about SSBB and that you have to get any new information from the Dojo. We always learned a week in advance that SSBB would be shown at TGS and not E3.

So not sure how this put SSBB's online possibility in jeopardy.

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
What is the point of this thread? Miyamoto said in an interview that he wasn't allowed to announce any information about SSBB and that you have to get any new information from the Dojo. We always learned a week in advance that SSBB would be shown at TGS and not E3.

So not sure how this put SSBB's online possibility in jeopardy.
Doesn't it seem a bit odd that Brawl was announced as a game with online multiplayer - and yet at Nintendo's biggest media event, mere months before release, this fact was never mentioned? Reggie made a big deal out of the December 3rd release date, and he was clearly desperate for evidence of Nintendo's commitment to online play - so why would he not reafirm what was already anounced 2 years ago?

If this was a new announcement, I could understand saving it for a later date. But it seemed like they were backpeddling on a promise they already made. Let's hope I'm just being paranoid.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
Masahiro Sakurai has secured a firm release date, and I do not think that he would do that if there was any wiggle room in what he has in place for the game as a whole. He and his staff have everything already planned out. They just have to follow through, tweek things a little bit, and then mass produce the game and have it shipped to stores by Dec. 2. I remember that the last update on smashbros.com before the new site was on Nov. 26 and Sakurai said that he has been working on the game for 18 months (I believe), which means as of now the game has been in development for 26 months. By December, the game will have been worked on for more than 30 months. The original smash bros. had a very small budget and was in development for less than a year. With this in mind, I believe the programmers have been trying to perfect everything so that the game is so smoothe, as well as new modes and perfecting multiplayer action. They also know that Melee was a best selling title for the gamecube, they will predict this game to be very, very popular and also to be easy potential for being the best selling title for the Wii.

With all of this in mind, I have no doubt that Brawl will have online play. Sakurai is awesome and seems to love toying with people (have you seen last friday's post on smashbros?), so I think the reason that there is so much information being concealed is due to building up anticipation and wonder for the game.

GraniteJJ

Smash Cadet
Back when "Super Smash Bros 3" was announced for the "Revolution" as a launch title, Nintendo presiodent Iwata announced the game as an online title. So yeah, it was confirmation that the title would have online.

If Sakurai only has time to include a very primitive online mode, with some lag, where you can only play against 4 random opponents in a time match with items - I would actually be o.k. with that. I don't care if the online is perfect, as long as I can play against other human beings whenever I want. The important thing for me is that online IS included.

But that doesn't HAVE to be the case. Nintendo titles like Brawl are very often delayed so that new festures can be added. Metroid Prime Hunters was delayed from it's late 2005 release until early 2006 so that online could be added. And, of course, Twilight Princess was delayed for nearly a full year so that it could take advantage of the Wii-controls. If we raise a big enough stink and Nintendo get's enough negative press on this matter, then maybe (JUST maybe...) they will delay the game until online multiplayer can be added.

@Falco400: thanks for the tip. I definitely do that.
That's different though. Iwata announced Super Smash Bros. 3 - as it was then called - before Sakurai was even on board. They got Sakurai back to work on it AFTER the game was announced. You cannot hold Iwata's promises against Sakurai. It isn't fair.

Also, Metroid Prime Hunters (and others) had release windows set. Not release dates. Late 2005 is not a release date. December 3, 2007 is a release date. They cannot just pull a stunt like delaying it a few weeks before. Also, Super Smash Bros. Brawl will be a big holiday title. A GIANT holiday title. You can delay something untested like Metroid Prime Hunters (which had a lot of hype but was by no means a killer app). It is different with something like Brawl. It needs to be a holiday release.

Also, the reason we've seen so many Mario Party games since Melee's release, but Brawl has taken so long is because Mario Party games:

a) suck
b) get boring fast
c) are easy to make

It is like Starcraft. It has been out for about a decade, with only a minor expansion pack. Now, the sequel has finally been announced. Why? Because people are still playing the original.

In the same way, people are still playing Melee. So, why would they want to churn out a ****ty sequel when they can devote the time and effort to one that we will love.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
I signed and e-mailed nintendo power! I hope this goes through, online would be awesome...no more 'sorry I can't make it this time' for tournaments...:)

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
You really think they would have online tournaments?

Not big ones. Also, I'm not really familiar with how online play works, so IDK. And you know, if a bunch of people on these forums set up a time to play or something, then maybe it could be possible. I hear something about a DS tournament for Mario Kart... it didn't seem very organized...

I just hope that searching for someone to play isn't like mario kart ds, where it just randomly finds someone. You should be able 2 scan through servers or something...

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
Doesn't it seem a bit odd that Brawl was announced as a game with online multiplayer - and yet at Nintendo's biggest media event, mere months before release, this fact was never mentioned? Reggie made a big deal out of the December 3rd release date, and he was clearly desperate for evidence of Nintendo's commitment to online play - so why would he not reafirm what was already anounced 2 years ago?

If this was a new announcement, I could understand saving it for a later date. But it seemed like they were backpeddling on a promise they already made. Let's hope I'm just being paranoid.

I'm not sure what you are talking about....

The Tokyo Game Show is bigger than E3. Especially now that E3 is dead. IN AN INTERVIEW with Miyamoto on IGN they asked him if it was going to be online. Miyamoto said he wasn't able to make any announcements other than the release date because that is all handled by The Dojo.

Feel free to go to ign to find the same interview.

Sakurai has a deal with Nintendo giving them at The Dojo exclusive rights to announcements for the game. Unless it is news that is directly involving the publisher such as the release date.

GraniteJJ

Smash Cadet
Sakurai has a deal with Nintendo giving The Dojo exclusive rights to announcements for the game? You say that like Smashbros.com is a news site, and not a Nintendo owned site. SmashBros.com is used as Nintendo's essential marketing tool for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Now that they've got the daily updates going, they've got people checking in constantly to keep tabs on their game.

It isn't an exclusive news outlet. It is their own site. They probably do not want to release anything through interviews because it makes Sakurai's little development journal (SmashBros.com) a waste of time. He has people in fits waiting for new announcements, and I am sure they can tell by the number of page views on SmashBros.com just how many people are interested in their game.

Cups

Smash Ace
Honestly though, wtf have they been doing these six years while ssbm was sitting on its ***? SSBM is probably the most released title for the GC, so why wouldn't they work on it day and night for the Wii? I'm sorry, but this game will lose a majority of its appeal and one of its main selling points if online isn't in it. I mean every freaking game is online nowadays, so why shouldn't one of the most successful franchises in game history have one. If it isn't going to have online play in the year 2007 and on, either postpone until you do or just scrap the whole thing. That's how I feel about it: I don't want to be given the illusion that this game will be an online masterpiece and then when Nintendo has our attention, "umm, we were just joking about that, it will just be too hard to have one of the basic mechanics of modern gaming implemented into a state of the art and innovative game such as SSBB." I mean fighting games have been online for years on other ****ty systems, even street fighter 2 is online now, and a company such as Nintendo would be laughed out of the room not only by other companies and developers, but a large majority of its fanbase.

However, Nintendo does this kind of crap to get our attention and then either delivers and people freak or they don't and people are just like "wow, Nintendo didn't deliver again. . ." It wouldn't surprise me if they were just saying that so people get all worked up and create buzz. "Hey, Mario isn't going to be in SSBB," and then everyone is like "WTF, this game is stupid," and then they do it so everyone is happier. Negative publicity is still publicity.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I think this issue is being overblown. Brawl having online capabilities will not automatically unite every smasher who has an Internet connection. Take mine for example: it's relatively fast but rather inconsistent; data packets come in large spurts rather than in a smooth stream. Brawl will be a hit whether it has online play or not because the Internet as a whole SUCKS.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
You really think they would have online tournaments?
There probably would be, since I've seen a few online SSB64 tournaments via Kaillera. Plus Brawl will probably be played more, so I wouldn't be surprised if we got massive numbers of tournies online=several every week.

Maybe not like a tourney mode, but like one organized over the SWF or something. And if there was a tourney thing, Sakurai would be doing the more heavier players a awsome new online feature. All I need is functional online, and online confirmed and I'm good. Ranking systems and online tournies aren't needs, but wants that would be awsome. :) Hopefully it doesn't lag TOO bad...

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
I think this issue is being overblown. Brawl having online capabilities will not automatically unite every smasher who has an Internet connection. Take mine for example: it's relatively fast but rather inconsistent; data packets come in large spurts rather than in a smooth stream. Brawl will be a hit whether it has online play or not because the Internet as a whole SUCKS.
Almost everyone in city I live in and surrounding cities have 8meg or higher cable internet.

So that is a pretty isolated issue.

thewhit

Smash Rookie
Hello, I'm a new user here but your thread has compelled me to act on this cause. I took the liberty to submit this thread to www.Digg.com, a popular news site that you might have heard of. By "digging" this thread you can get this message out to the millions ( maybe not millions but a lot) of digg users.

This can possibly be your third phase. All you have to do is register a Digg account and digg this article: http://digg.com/nintendo_wii/Nintendo_Fans_Unite_Help_us_get_Super_Smash_Brothers_Brawl_online

I hope this helps the cause. ;)

So far 6 diggs... we need more people!

thewhit

Smash Rookie
It'll be online, Sakuri said so months ago - so why the thread?
I'm pretty sure that he just said that an online mode was planned but would be difficult to implement. This isn't much of a confirmation to me. Of course if you have proof of Sakurai saying that it is 100% confirmed then I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

GraniteJJ

Smash Cadet
It'll be online, Sakuri said so months ago - so why the thread?
People do not seem to notice the difference between a man saying he would like to have online features, and an outright confirmation.

For example, I can say "I would very much like to be given sums of gold." Unfortunately, it does not guarantee it.

""My plan is to include Wi-Fi connection compatibility and online functionality. One of the primary reasons Super Smash Bros. Brawl was created was that Nintendo, when taking Wii online, wanted to have Smash Bros. to do that..."

That is the quote from Sakurai that I think most people are referencing. It is from an article dated May 10, 2006 at IGN.

It isn't an outright confirmation...plans change.

PitIcarus

Smash Ace
I will make you all a deal. If SSBB doesn't have online multiplayer I will give everyone in this thread $30. And if it does, everyone in this thread gives me $3. Deal?

Hotshot672

Smash Cadet
Im sure sakurai knows what hes doing. He probably already has Online mapped out in his head. Sakurai thinks for the people.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Almost everyone in city I live in and surrounding cities have 8meg or higher cable internet.

So that is a pretty isolated issue.
Funny, I have a friend who lives in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and he seems to agree with me. >_>

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
If this petition were to result in the delay of Brawl's release, you would all die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom