• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashers are Too Good @ MvC3

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Where are you located? I plan to maybe move northeast eventually, there or California. I also go down to Georgia once a year, around the time of Final Round.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Keep going? >_>

/in Georgia, laijin come to FR next year =P

Also just checked and found out magneto's launcher is unpunishable on block unless they're close enough to grab... that's hilarious.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Keep going? >_>

Also just checked and found out magneto's launcher is unpunishable on block unless they're close enough to grab... that's hilarious.
A lot of launchers are like that to supplement their bad recovery. Magneto's still leaves you at more of a disadvantage then say a character like Wesker. All he can do afterwards is block.

Also if they aren't in range to grab you after a launcher then its probably whiffing(Magneto's launcher can whiff on many crouchers, so there goes any idea of using it after c.h). 5-frame light command grabs will punish it free even. Since they generally have long range.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
for the sake of myself and the other noob lurkers in this thread, can someone list a few of the acronyms in use around here and what they mean?

Start with DHC glitch = Delayed Hyper Combo glitch = ?
At work, so I can't grab the Youtube vids, but the DHC glitch involves DHCing into a super that doesn't actually hit... so that your OTG continues the combo but for full damage, with none of the damage scaling.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Things to consider when seeing if a character is good:

Frame Data(Start up and Frame advantage of normals, specials, and hyper combos)
The Size of the Hit Boxes of said normals, Specials, and Hyper combos
does the character have at least one move they can use to do legit zoning?(Mag's Disruptor, also, not all characters need this to be good)
Does the character have the tools to deal with zoning?
What's the character's health?
What's the character's damage output
Does the character have an instant over head?
can the character wave dash?
Can the character air dash and if so in how many directions?
how fast is the character's wave dash and air dash?
Can said character use their air dash to triangle jump and cause legit cross ups?
How far away can the character be and still start a combo?(Wesker's full screen gun combo, lol)
Does the character have any moves with invincibility, super or hyper armor?
How good are the character's assists?
Does the character have a hyper combo that is useful for DHCing?
Can the character teleport?

These are just some of the things I've thought of...

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
Actually, TAC comboing isn't necessary for my team to set up the DHC glicth. With Zero I can go launcher into M,M charge shot, qcbL back down and hard tag to dante. It's fast enough that dante can actually otg off of Zero's charge shot and go into his standard ender and DHC glitch back to Zero.

@DruggedFox. While I agree, technical barriers are still an issue at this point in the game's lifespan I think. People are still dropping BnBs and are still reacting inappropriately to a lot of situations because they still lack experience (and yes, this applies to all levels right now). Playing the easier character in tournament while bringing another character up to par on your own time would very much be playing to win. I don't think that at this point character success in tournament would be a direct indicator of the innate ability of said character.
1. wtf thats stupid, why does charge shot leave you in stun for that long...
2. the playing to win point is what i was trying to express earlier.

@Darksonic

Any character in particular you think has a technical barrier that will take a bit longer to meet? I don't particularly have an opinion, I'm just curious =P
theres 38 characters in the game. about 6-8 of them are blatently easy and amazing and are all over tourneys right now. id say about 4-6 are really bad (but still viable depending on the team) and not worth using. out of the other 25 or so, half arent being played because they arent as good as the best characters, and the other half arent being played because it take exponentially more work for them to be even close to as good as the first 6-8 group. there are a lot of really hard characters in this game. Theres X-23 and her feint cancle combos. Viewtiful Joe and his SRK combos. Jill links. Shuma seems pretty timing intensive. spiderman and Viper require stupid tech skill for even their most basic combos. theres a lot, but since you can just play wesker and pop somebody from full screen into a combo from midair, or mag/wolvie and just hit buttons or play task and just do WHATEVER the hell you want. lot of these characters are never going ot get the same level of play as the top characters right now, even if it does turn out that they are just as good.
Keep going? >_>

that.... doesnt sound right.
for the sake of myself and the other noob lurkers in this thread, can someone list a few of the acronyms in use around here and what they mean?

Start with DHC glitch = Delayed Hyper Combo glitch = ?
At work, so I can't grab the Youtube vids, but the DHC glitch involves DHCing into a super that doesn't actually hit... so that your OTG continues the combo but for full damage, with none of the damage scaling.

the second character doesnt have to otg ( which, by the way stands for hitting someone Off The Ground) they can hit them before they hit the ground. using an otg is just easier. because you dont have to space it.

THC: Team hyper combo. when hitting both your assist button causes everyone on your team to come out and perform their super simultaneously.

TAC: tag assist Combo. when you hit a direction and S to switch characters in the middle of an air combo.

as for other commonly used acronyms, maybe this will help
http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Marvel_vs_Capcom_3/Glossary

ps. i forgot, whats it called when you are blocking and you hit forward partner to use a bar to switch characters

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
Magneto's launcher is -4 on block. I'm almost certain the fastest normal in the game comes out in 4 frames (ie zero's cr L). As long as magneto doesn't press a button, he can block =P

The DHC glitch has two main conditions:

1) The opponent must be in a captured state. This can be done in the form of storm's elemental rage (Dragon Punch Input) super, or with something like magneto's hyper grav. It can also be done with something like dante's double quarter circle forward (QCF) heavy.

2) The first hit of the super you DHC into must whiff. For example, you could whiff the first set of drones that are in sentinel's hyper sentinel force (HSF) super. Alternatively, the super could simply never hit. This could be done with something like a transformation (beserker charge/devil trigger) or a counter super (wesker can OTG afterwards).

The DHC glitch effectively gets rid of any hit stun deterioration or damage scaling, so its like starting a combo from the beginning. It's pretty amazing >_>

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
i feel like everything about this game would be better, and the DHC glitch and X factor 3 wouldnt even be OP if everyone in the game had about double the health that they do now.

PS @ Dfox
most of the rushdown characters i believe have 3 frame lights, and I think ammy has 1 or 2 frame 2 normals.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Magneto's launcher is -4 on block. I'm almost certain the fastest normal in the game comes out in 4 frames (ie zero's cr L). As long as magneto doesn't press a button, he can block =P
I just said this. Except theres the fact that Cr.H > launcher will whiff on crouchers. So you'll get punished anyways. Otherwise all you can do is block, if they push blocked your first hit you're a sitting duck, and if they aren't then you just gave up whatever pressure you had mashing Cr.L.

Weskers launcher is -1. The fastest normals belong to C.Viper and Ammy, with 4 frame crouching lights, and Ammy's 3 frame standing light.

This thread doesn't have trollin, its just smashers bandwagoning a new scrub friendly game thinking they know **** about fighting games lol.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I'm pretty sure we know **** about fighting games, most of us are just gamers like you are. I'm pretty sure most of us have played a huge variety of games by now. What makes you think you know more about a fighting game than someone else? Don't be a hypocrite.

Druggedfox

Smash Champion
I just said this. Except theres the fact that Cr.H > launcher will whiff on crouchers. So you'll get punished anyways. Otherwise all you can do is block, if they push blocked your first hit you're a sitting duck, and if they aren't then you just gave up whatever pressure you had mashing Cr.L.

Weskers launcher is -1. The fastest normals belong to C.Viper and Ammy, with 4 frame crouching lights, and Ammy's 3 frame standing light.

This thread doesn't have trollin, its just smashers bandwagoning a new scrub friendly game thinking they know **** about fighting games lol.
Just quit >_> I'm aware you said that earlier, as I was the one who INITIALLY pointed it out. On top of that, I was simply clarifying because da KID said "that doesn't sound right". I was explaining. I'm aware you can block, I said that. You can hit the launch without whiffing and not being in grab range. Not everybody has a light command grab, meaning in certain matchups its acceptable to abuse. Wesker's launcher being -1 has nothing to do with anything, I knew that, and you throwing out frame data at random makes you out to be some guy who thinks he knows **** just because he knows frame data. Saying the fastest normals are cviper and ammy and naming anything with 4 frames is stupid becuase there are other characters with 4 frame normals (implying that somehow cviper's 4 frame normal is faster than zero's 4 frame normal).

Knowing some frame data doesn't suddenly make you amazing the way you're acting it does; if anything, you're the one who comes off as somebody who knows very little about fighting games (by spewing off everything you know on the technical side of it).

Kage covered the end pretty well. If you're on smashboards, you're as much of a smasher as any of us "bandwagoning a new scrub friendly game." Yes, I'm aware mvc3 is scrub friendly overall, but that hardly means we know more or less than we do. Judging people's skill in knowledge with very little to no basis is ridiculously ignorant. The fact that you even essentially insulted smashers makes me even wonder why you're on this site: go join the other srk scrubs that stereotype smashers for no reason.

Edit: @ da KID, I think fixing xfactor would be more ideal. The nature of xfactor, while it isn't "random", creates more variance in results, which is something I find undesirable in a competitive game. The best players will still come out on top more often, xfactor or not, but with less consistency.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
well there a ton of ways they could go about adjusting the issue, since its clear that the way it is now, isnt optimal.

btw. i just had a funny thought. I honestly think that this game would be even stupider than it is now, if it used the baroque system instead of the x factor system

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I dunno, Baroque only works for the duration of one combo, and life bars get eaten like candy already. I don't see how it'd be even close to the level of X-Factor.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
yea, but you can baroque an infinite number of times pergame. as opposed to one timed x factor that people can attempt to run away from.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
yea, but you can baroque an infinite number of times pergame. as opposed to one timed x factor that people can attempt to run away from.
Idk, I see a lot more **** with X-Factor than actually escaping from it. lol. Usually I see people use it within combos to finish off one character completely 100% of his hp, it's so dumb. Zero special, X-Factor, Zero special again, the guy dies.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Knowing some frame data doesn't suddenly make you amazing the way you're acting it does; if anything, you're the one who comes off as somebody who knows very little about fighting games (by spewing off everything you know on the technical side of it).
Yeah I'm aware I sound that way. I don't really have a reason to be humble. I don't care for most the people here. Since you asked kindly then I can stop, my bad but the thread was getting hot for a while.

I state what I see in the thread, which is a lot of misinformation and presumptuous discussion. I bring up frame data because I can, not so I can sound superior. Though its a nice side effect when you want to make yourself convincing.

I don't think the way people perceive you should really matter when you're discussing video games on a message board. I gave what I had to say and some people didn't really consider it logically. So of course I'm going to speak up on it.

I don't really have a reason to show off. I'm the kind of tourney player that plays "****ty animu" games and because of that I don't really care about status as to what sort of player anyone is. Apologies if what I say sounds out of line, but if you don't think what I say applies to you then it really shouldn't matter.

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
I don't really have a reason to show off. I'm the kind of tourney player that plays "****ty animu" games and because of that I don't really care about status as to what sort of player anyone is. Apologies if what I say sounds out of line, but if you don't think what I say applies to you then it really shouldn't matter.
You're borderline calling out any smasher who plays this game, which incites flames or other similar criteria to make the topic "hot", or trolling And then saying oh, well if it doesn't apply to you, then whatever.

It's an attitude that leaves people like you that seem to hold some level of intelligent thought coming out with egg on their face in front of a bunch of people you don't care about. If people want to make discussion and think ignorance is bliss, then great, get at 'em, but don't classify everyone from this community in that group of people you feel like ostracizing from fighting game communities in general. For whatever reason. :p

_______

I'm getting home this week from Finals and I'll finally be putting some work into this game (360 version unfortunately)... Anyone have some tips to get my team mastered? I'm running Ammy/Chris/X-23 forever. <3 (unless I fall in love someone else to replace Chris or X-23 but not both)

N1CBeast

Smash Rookie
Street Fighter, MvC, and Smash Bros are really the only fighting games I like. I play MvC3 a lot now. I'm not super good in it but I'm not horrible. I my team is Ryu, Dante, and a trade off between Chris/Wesker/ Deadpool. I played MvC2 with an all shoto team (Ken, Ryu, Sakura) so I'm still getting used to the team I have now.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
krys, would you be willing to change up your order? cus im pretty sure already that that might help you out a bit.

i dont know how much of this you already know but w/e

if you start with chris, i would use x-23s flash kick assist. i know its weird because ankle slice is almost always better. but all 3 of your characters self otg. so her doing it for an assist isnt necessary. chris also seems to need an assist of some sort to cover his head cus he seems really vulnerable to people coming down on his head. so cresent scythe is a good anti air for that.

after he goes down. x 23 can use ammys cold shot assist to set up for the DHC trick into the slowing mist, which sets up for fkng gross combos. i would suggest that you go for this as quick as possible and leave ammy out to fight as your second. because x23 with x factor seems like 10 times more dangerous than ammy with it. frankly ammy with x factor doesnt scare me the way x factor should.

I do this with my team. I start with X 23 because she can open people up consistantly. morrigan is my second so i can dhc trick people. but I always try to find a way to switch joe in second. because my morrigan gains so much more from x factor 3 than my joe does.

_Dice

Smash Ace
krys, would you be willing to change up your order? cus im pretty sure already that that might help you out a bit.

i dont know how much of this you already know but w/e

if you start with chris, i would use x-23s flash kick assist. i know its weird because ankle slice is almost always better. but all 3 of your characters self otg. so her doing it for an assist isnt necessary. chris also seems to need an assist of some sort to cover his head cus he seems really vulnerable to people coming down on his head. so cresent scythe is a good anti air for that.

after he goes down. x 23 can use ammys cold shot assist to set up for the DHC trick into the slowing mist, which sets up for fkng gross combos. i would suggest that you go for this as quick as possible and leave ammy out to fight as your second. because x23 with x factor seems like 10 times more dangerous than ammy with it. frankly ammy with x factor doesnt scare me the way x factor should.

I do this with my team. I start with X 23 because she can open people up consistantly. morrigan is my second so i can dhc trick people. but I always try to find a way to switch joe in second. because my morrigan gains so much more from x factor 3 than my joe does.
I would keep X-23's ankle slice, in any team, even with self otgs, letting yourself setup an unblockable.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
You're borderline calling out any smasher who plays this game, which incites flames or other similar criteria to make the topic "hot", or trolling And then saying oh, well if it doesn't apply to you, then whatever.

It's an attitude that leaves people like you that seem to hold some level of intelligent thought coming out with egg on their face in front of a bunch of people you don't care about. If people want to make discussion and think ignorance is bliss, then great, get at 'em, but don't classify everyone from this community in that group of people you feel like ostracizing from fighting game communities in general. For whatever reason. :p
Yo I remember you~

Yeah I go by the rule if you don't think it applies to you then it shouldn't matter. Because if I didn't I would just believe everything people in this thread says about me. When you go into a thread of elitist people trying to say something thats against popular opinion, you already seem to make a fool of yourself. Its unavoidable, and I knew that. I posted in the thread anyways.

I make generalizations on fg communities, and so do my friends from said communities. If you are an individual then generalizations shouldn't matter to you, if you think that what I say applies to you then maybe it does. So what, it doesn't mean anything.

I don't ostracize smashers from the fighting game community, I ostracize people with bad attitudes. Thats what I think of people like Laijin, and I'll gladly take a 100$ mm and see who gets humbled.

Either way I don't really need self-conscious knots over this thread. If anyone thinks I disrespected them then sorry. Yeah I have snobbish opinions of my own, but anyone who knows me knows I don't purposefully disrespect others for theres. Unless I think them shallow in general.

ngamer3k

Smash Ace
I think Blank was just riled up from the OP. The issue is a matter of attitude. The generalizations are there whether Smashers care to admit it or not. Going through the early pages of this thread made me cringe and I see it all the time even when Smashers talk about Smash. It's not a good road to be going down.

I'll be honest, I suck at Smash. Even in our small-**** community here in Iowa, I don't place well. I can hardly even speak for my own character as to all the hard data there is to know. I play through experience in other fighters these days and by in large that's what gets me wins more than anything else.

For whatever reason, FG players can play Smash easily, but by in large-- Smashers cannot play other fighters effectively. This is not because of any real technical issues with the differing game mechanics or anything tied to that. In general the problem always seems to be that Smashers take the wrong approach when it comes to sitting down and learning other fighters and they seem to have a dubious attitude towards certain things. They seem to have a sort of tunnel vision and the beginning of this thread proves it. For example, in Smash I feel that it's seen as taboo to camp excessively, plank, and play "lame," even though it is generally accepted that this is a very effective strategy if you want to be successful. If you ask someone like me, I say good ****. Yet, it is frowned upon and people shouldn't have to apologize for winning this way.

If you don't see how the above applies to this thread, you have already failed.

For the record, I think Magneto is better than Doom. ^.^

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I cant say that ive seen it often, but the people that ive seen that play traddy fighters that get into smash learn the fundamentals and basics quickly but tend to flail a bit after that when trying to get into high level stuff.

but like i said, although i have mountains of experience in people going from smash to other games, the times i see inverse are very few and far between.

However I would appreciate if you could make it a bit more clear exactly what you are trying to say, and what specifically in this thread leads you to feel that way.

GreenAce

Smash Ace
I'm doing pretty good down here in sfl against some good competion.

Also everyone should check out the option-select stream on Monday's, and Thursday's

Laijin

Smash Hero
lol sweet I get $100 at the next national I see Blank at. :D

For whatever reason, FG players can play Smash easily, but by in large-- Smashers cannot play other fighters effectively.
I'd like to point out that you're completely wrong.
FG Players cannot play smash(melee in this case, cause its the game im familiar with). The technical level that is required to play melee is COMPLETELY different and than the technical level that is required to play normal FGs. Smash players can easily get into FGs and be successful at them because when compared to smash, there is a lot less to worry about. In smash you're constantly worrying about like 10 different things at once and situations change extremely frequently from those 10 different situations(What platform am I on? Is he close to the edge? Is he below me? Is he across the stage shooting stuff? Oh crap im edge guarding how is he gonna approach the ledge? Oh crap I'm getting edge guarded how should I come back? Okay cool im on the ledge how should I get back on the stage out of my like 10 different options to do so? etc etc). In FGs, GENERALLY the only things you have to worry about in terms of positioning are: How far away is he, am I by a corner? is he by the corner? Is he coming from the air? How should I block? how should I approach. And quite frankly, those situations are quite easier to think about considering how fewer options your opponent has to act. Also unlike smash, in FGs combos are basically guaranteed after the first hit confirm. As long as you don't drop it, you have gauranteed damage. Your opponent has zero options usually for escape unlike smash so theres no need to think about DIs and super fast techs(and in this case, techs are usually pretty damn easy to see from a mile away). There are some exceptions in FGs(3rd Strike, GG, MvC2) where those may vary and there might be more to worry about but GENERALLY in a game as easy as MvC3, there really isn't much going on.

But in the end, when it really comes down to it, smash isn't that much different from FGs. There are a ton of similarities that translate well into each other and players from both sides fail to see.

Top Bottom