• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smashboards Creates: Shonen Jump Vs. Capcom: Tankobon Throwdown

Should Jotaro’s classic fighting game stand mechanic return in Shonen Jump vs. Capcom?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Shonen Jump: Shōyō Hinata (Haikyu!!)
1637011243522.png

Hinata is a first year at Karasuno High and is one of the Volleyball team's middle blockers. Being small, Hinata compensates by being able to jump high and dreams of being strong enough to spike past tall blockers.

Obviously he has the hurdle of realistically not being able to compete with characters like Goku, but considering we have characters like Frank West and Pheonix Wright the suspension of belief in the game is just enough to be able to visualize Hinata spiking Naruto. Which leads me to my main point, I don't think a sports character would ever be possible in another Shonen Jump crossover fighting game, and one of our leading philosophies is to give characters who otherwise had no chance a time to shine. Plus considering how popular Sports manga are for Shonen Jump and how well Haikyu!! did and was critically received, I think Hinata would be an excellent first impression to the game's DLC.

As to how he'll fight, he uses Volleyball tactics like Spiking, Setting, Dives, and could even be assisted by Kageyama who could set the ball. Also, Volleyballs could appear on screen and be hit by both players, I kind of see a Lethal League type deal but the volleyballs do significantly less damage and slow down over time (also, when a volleyball loses all momentum Kageyama would set them up until they are hit again). Hinata would also have a very high jump and be one of the game's fastest characters but isn't very strong

Resubmitting Lynne & Sissel, I need them.

Lynne and Sissel (Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective)
View attachment 337367
Lynne and Sissel are the protagonists of the 2010 DS game
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Lynne's the optimistic and determined detective trying to prove Detective Jowd's (her hero) innocence, and Sissel's the amnesiac ghost trying to find out the cause of his death while looking after Lynne.

Reasons to add L&S are that they'd be fun additions character wise, GT : PD is a cult classic that is loved by those who played it so adding a rep would be magical to some people, they'd have a unique moveset not achievable by other characters, and lastly considering GT : PD was made by the creator of Ace Attorney having L&S be able to fight (with) Pheonix Wright would be amazing.

As for moveset potential, Lynne could be the main character you control (the one with the health bar) doing detective moves while Sissel controls objects and can do "Tricks" on objects (stuff like firing a gun and opening a door).

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Resubmitting Law

Trafalgar Law (One Piece)

Law is a popular and important character in One Piece, he is one of the "Worst Generation" and an allie of the Straw Hat Pirates.

He has the skills of a powerful doctor and can perform miracles with the Op-Op Fruit.
and Resubmitting Ratha and Rider
Ratha & The Rider

Ratha and The Rider are the protagonists of Monster Hunter Stories 2.

Ratha is a rathalos and can do rathalos things and The Rider has access to weapons and rides Ratha as well as use other monsters

D

Deleted member

gonna resubmit tsuna and lady d

Tusna (Katekyō Hitman Reborn)
A young boy who became heir to the Vongola mafia family. With a target now on his back , Tsuna is tutored by the strange infant Hitman known as Reborn on how be a better boss, getting into strange adventures along the way.

Alcina Dimitrescu (Resident Evil)

One of the main villains from the latest Resident Evil and a character who the internet completely ate up. She would be a slow character but with vicious attacks and would likely summon her daughters in combat. Yes, there is the problem that shes a gaint, but we could could likely work around this.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Resubmitting Killua and Athena
Shonen Jump: Killua Zoldyck (Hunter × Hunter)
View attachment 333204
Killua is the deuteragonist of Hunter × Hunter. He's arguably more popular than his best friend and the protagonist, Gon, and has a more unique set of powers - due to being raised in a family of assassins, he has many techniques that would distinguish him from the rest of the cast, such as being able to sharpen his fingernails (to the point he can rip a person's heart out), shadow stepping, and the ability to turn his arms into whips, as well as a pair of yo-yos that pack a serious punch made by his brother Milluki. He's also immune to poison and electricity, the latter which plays into his nen ability as he's able to "charge" himself with electricity and attack with it. This includes his iconic "godspeed" transformation which increases his speed.

Like Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule 's submission, Killua being added before Gon would prove that we don't neccesarily need to add the main character first (also coincidentally, Killua was modeled after Hiei and they share a creator).

Nothing from Capcom unfortunately, the only Capcom series I played are ones that are already on the roster.
Since we now have Gon, parts of that original post are outdated, but Killua is still the no-brainer pick for a second HxH character as he's the deuteragonist and is probably the most popular character in the series, plus his fighting style is unlike anyone else in the roster. also i just want my son to join his boyfriend please vote for him
Capcom Submission #2: Athena Cykes (Ace Attorney)
1635799784910.png

Going back to the unorthodox picks, Athena might seem like a weird choice since she’s the third Ace Attorney protagonist and yet doesn’t headline her own game, but she’s still a beloved character and despite being an Ace Attorney character and a lawyer at that, she actually has some martial art skills that would differentiate her from Phoenix. How else do you think she was able to toss that policeman at poor Apollo?
In addition to that, she has her mood matrix which would likely translate into the game as a buff mechanic instead of a turnabout mode like Phoenix. She would likely share a few similarities to her mentor in moveset (Objection is a must considering her profession) but would still stand out from him enough to make for a completely unique character.
Also forgot to mention that Athena has the same Japanese VA as Gon so that would make for some fun interactions

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll submit Edward Falcon from Power Stone
A fan favorite character, falcon would fight with the techniques he has in power stone but also objects he can pick up and use to fight in the game.
Falcon has been requested a lot for crossovers so he might be a good pick for DLC. He comes from a fighting game as well so his moveset would be even more fun.

Here are the options for Job #35. Please vote for your top three most wanted in order. Your own submission can only be in second or third place.
Shonen Jump:
Megadoomer Megadoomer Joseph Joestar
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Kakashi
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Shoyo Hinata
cashregister9 cashregister9 Trafalgar Law
@Darkonedagger Tsuna
Jondolio Jondolio Killua

Capcom;
Megadoomer Megadoomer Vergil
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Lynne & Sissel
cashregister9 cashregister9 Ratha & Rider
@Darkonedagger Lady Dinitrescu
Jondolio Jondolio Athena Cykes
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Edward Falcon

My votes:
1. Joseph
2. Shoyo Hinata
3. Killua

1. Vergil
2. Falcon
3. Lynne & Sissel

Last edited:

Jondolio

Smash Hero
1. Joseph
My second favorite Jojo and a super fun character. Having a Jojo character who isn't a stand user would be a nice change of pace.
2. Killua
Just let my son join his boyfriend please
3. Law
I've been reading some One Piece lately and I just made it to the climax of Punk Hazard. Law is pretty based.

1. Lynne & Cecil
Haven't played Ghost Trick but it's a Shu Takumi game so it's probably good.
2. Vergil
scum
3. Dimitrescu
She's super popular to the point even some of my non-gamer friends knew about her (and yes, they thirsted over her too)

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Killua
2. Joseph Joestar
3. Tsuna

1. Lady Dimitrescu
2. Vergil
3. Edward Falcon

D

Deleted member

1. Joseph
2. Tsuna
3. Killua

1. Falcon
2. Lady D
3. Lynne and Sissel

Last edited by a moderator:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Sorry for the wait, here are all the resutls of the Job #35 voting:
Joseph Joestar 14
Kakashi 2
Shoyo Hinata 4
Trafalgar Law 2
Tsuna 3
Killua 11

Vergil 12
Lynne & Sissel 8
Ratha & Rider 1 (don’t know why I spelled it as “ryne & rider” before, I guess I was just thinking of the lynne and sissel submission and got them a bit mixed up)
Lady Dimitrescu 6
Athena Cykes 0
Edward Falcon 9

And so Joseph Joestar and Vergil will be added as characters!
Just so everyone knows, you will be allowed to submit alternate costumes for DLC characters. However, extra alternate costumes for characters and costumes that change voices will have to be voted on for DLC. Well let’s do stages now:

Job #36: Submit A Shonen Jump and Capcom DLC Stage
Please submit an idea for a DLC stage from shonen jump, capcom or both. They can correspond to the characters we got as DLC but it’s not necessary. Stages from series that already have them are allowed. Please submit a location, exactly where the fight takes place, and any stage cameos.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Shonen Jump stage: Zoldyck Family Estate (Hunter x Hunter)
1637320965398.png

Set on the peak of Kukuroo Mountain in the fictional nation of the Republic of Padokea, this is the home of a family of assassins that doesn't often accept visitors. The fight would take place in front of the testing gate. Several characters members of the family (Zeno, Illumi, Silva, Kikyo, and Kalluto) and characters associated with them (Gotoh, Canary, Amane, Tsubone, and on very rare occasions, Hisoka) would occasionally show up to watch the fight.

Capcom stage: Temen-Ni-Gru (Devil May Cry)
1637321327123.png

The main setting of Devil May Cry 3 that would serve as a great stage to go along with Vergil's inclusion. The fight would take place on the apex and Arkham would be watching the battle.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Since we don’t really get many stage submissions, I think I will make it so that the stages are done at the end of the DLC pack and I’ll guess I’ll do the same for alternate costumes.

So Jondolio Jondolio if you want to submit those stages again just do them later alright?

So instead job #36 will be…

Job #36: Submit A Capcom and Shonen Jump Character
Submit a character from capcom and shonen jump again. Like last time, please submit a character from capcom, shonen jump or both. Please submit a character, explain who they are and a little bit about how they would fight, and why they should be in this game.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
I still believe in the power of Volleyball and De(ad)tectives

CheeseAnton said:
Shonen Jump: Shōyō Hinata (Haikyu!!)
1637426809486.png

Hinata is a first year at Karasuno High and is one of the Volleyball team's middle blockers. Being small, Hinata compensates by being able to jump high and dreams of being strong enough to spike past tall blockers.

Obviously he has the hurdle of realistically not being able to compete with characters like Goku, but considering we have characters like Frank West and Pheonix Wright the suspension of belief in the game is just enough to be able to visualize Hinata spiking Naruto. Which leads me to my main point, I don't think a sports character would ever be possible in another Shonen Jump crossover fighting game, and one of our leading philosophies is to give characters who otherwise had no chance a time to shine. Plus considering how popular Sports manga are for Shonen Jump and how well Haikyu!! did and was critically received, I think Hinata would be an excellent first impression to the game's first DLC pack.

As to how he'll fight, he uses Volleyball tactics like Spiking, Setting, Dives, and could even be assisted by Kageyama who could set the ball. Also, Volleyballs could appear on screen and be hit by both players, I kind of see a Lethal League type deal but the volleyballs do significantly less damage and slow down over time (also, when a volleyball loses all momentum Kageyama would set them up until they are hit again). Hinata would also have a very high jump and be one of the game's fastest characters but isn't very strong

Lynne and Sissel (Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective)
1637426819531.png

Lynne and Sissel are the protagonists of the 2010 DS game Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. Lynne's the optimistic and determined detective trying to prove Detective Jowd's (her hero) innocence, and Sissel's the amnesiac ghost trying to find out the cause of his death while looking after Lynne.

Reasons to add L&S are that they'd be fun additions character wise, GTPD is a cult classic that is loved by those who played it so adding a rep would be magical to some people, they'd have a unique moveset not achievable by other characters, and lastly considering GTPD was made by the creator of Ace Attorney having L&S be able to fight (with) Pheonix Wright would be amazing.

As for moveset potential, Lynne could be the main character you control (the one with the health bar) doing detective moves while Sissel controls objects and can do "Tricks" on objects (stuff like firing a gun and opening a door).

Jondolio

Smash Hero
1637426746367.png

I am once again going to resubmit Killua
Shonen Jump: Killua Zoldyck (Hunter × Hunter)
View attachment 333204
Killua is the deuteragonist of Hunter × Hunter. He's arguably more popular than his best friend and the protagonist, Gon, and has a more unique set of powers - due to being raised in a family of assassins, he has many techniques that would distinguish him from the rest of the cast, such as being able to sharpen his fingernails (to the point he can rip a person's heart out), shadow stepping, and the ability to turn his arms into whips, as well as a pair of yo-yos that pack a serious punch made by his brother Milluki. He's also immune to poison and electricity, the latter which plays into his nen ability as he's able to "charge" himself with electricity and attack with it. This includes his iconic "godspeed" transformation which increases his speed.

Like Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule 's submission, Killua being added before Gon would prove that we don't neccesarily need to add the main character first (also coincidentally, Killua was modeled after Hiei and they share a creator).

Nothing from Capcom unfortunately, the only Capcom series I played are ones that are already on the roster.
Since we now have Gon, parts of that original post are outdated, but Killua is still the no-brainer pick for a second HxH character as he's the deuteragonist and is probably the most popular character in the series, plus his fighting style is unlike anyone else in the roster. also i just want my son to join his boyfriend please vote for him
Capcom Character: Sir Arthur (Ghosts N Goblins)
1637426841199.png

Arthur is a knight who needs to rescue the princess from Satan. He is the main character of Ghosts N Goblins, an iconic Capcom classic notorious for its difficulty. It could be considered Capcom's take on Castlevania, being an insanely difficult platformer that features iconic monsters as the main enemies.

Arthur has appeared in both MvC3 and Infinite and would play similarly to how he'd play in those games.

D

Deleted member

Poison (Final Fight)

A popular character from the Final Fight series. Poison originally started out as just a generic enemy in the original Final Fight. She would develop a fan following due to her design and personality. She would eventually jump over to the Street Fighter series, often being seen with fellow final fight enemy Hugo.

Chitoge Kirisaki (Nisekoi)

A central character from the romantic comedy manga series Nisekoi. The daughter of a powerful criminal, she fakes a relationship with the son of a rival gangster in order to stop a crime war, but the two start to actually fall for each other. Neisekoi was extremely popular while it was running, even receiving a live action adaption a few years ago. Chitoge even appeared in Mario Maker of all things. She would be a funny character to include, but one who is easily able to hold her own.

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll submit Ryo from City Hunter

Another character from an older series that’s not that popular in the west but very much in other areas. Ryo would fight similarly to how he does in jump force but in 2D which would be pretty unique as we don’t really have anyone with that similar a fighting style.

TBH half the reason I’m actually submitting this character is so that we can give him an alternate costume where he has chunli’s outfit to reference the jackie chan city hunter movie. That would be hilarious and actually a neat callback which we can only really do in a game like this.

I'll also submit Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite moves

I won't really go too in-depth now but monster hunter is easily one of the biggest capcom series and it hasn't been represented in here yet besides the kaiba fight and so I think it would be a good pick for DLC. Series that have representation in a fighting game crossover but not as a fighter are almost always prime candidates for DLC IMO. Except for smash maybe I guess.

Last edited:

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Last edited:

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Here are the options for Job #36. Please vote for your top two or three most wanted in order for both companies, your own submission can only be in second or third place.
Shonen Jump
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton Shoyo Hinata
Jondolio Jondolio Killua
@Darkonedagger Chitoge Kirisaki
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Ryo

Capcom
Jondolio Jondolio Arthur
@Darkonedagger Poison
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Monster Hunter

My votes:
1. Hinata
2. Ryo
3. Chitoge

1. Poison
2. Monster Hunter
You don't have Lynne & Sissel, I probably should've quoted them separately, my bad.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Ryo
2. Chitoge
3. Killua

1. Lynne & Sissel
2. Poison
3. Arthur

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Killua
2. Ryo
3. Chitoge

1. Poison
2. Arthur
3. Monster Hunter

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of the Job #36 voting:
Shoyo Hinata 3
Killua 10
Chitoge Kirisaki 9
Ryo 12

Lynne & Sissel 6
Arthur 9
Poison 10
Monster Hunter 8

And so Ryo and Poison will be added as playable characters! Now onto the stage job… again.

Job #37: Submit A Stage
Submit both a Capcom or Shonen Jump stage or both. Please submit a location, exactly where it would take place, and any cameos. They can correspond with the characters we added or not.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Resubmitting Zoldyck estate and Temen-Ni-Gru
Shonen Jump stage: Zoldyck Family Estate (Hunter x Hunter)
View attachment 338155

Set on the peak of Kukuroo Mountain in the fictional nation of the Republic of Padokea, this is the home of a family of assassins that doesn't often accept visitors. The fight would take place in front of the testing gate. Several characters members of the family (Zeno, Illumi, Silva, Kikyo, and Kalluto) and characters associated with them (Gotoh, Canary, Amane, Tsubone, and on very rare occasions, Hisoka) would occasionally show up to watch the fight.

Capcom stage: Temen-Ni-Gru (Devil May Cry)
View attachment 338156
The main setting of Devil May Cry 3 that would serve as a great stage to go along with Vergil's inclusion. The fight would take place on the apex and Arkham would be watching the battle.

D

Deleted member

Mad Gear Hideout

The base of the Mad Gear Gang. Looks somewhat similar as it does in SF4. Various members of the Gang will cheer and watch the battle.

Might submit a Jump stage later.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Job #37: The Cross (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency)
1637514501092.png

The stage where Joseph lost a best friend, I think this would be great as Joseph's stage because it was a major point in the series and is an iconic location.

Also, I think this'd be a unique stage as there really isn't another stage that's crumbled like this and I think the lighting effects would be beautiful.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Job #37: The Cross (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Battle Tendency)
View attachment 338354
The stage where Joseph lost a best friend, I think this would be great as Joseph's stage because it was a major point in the series and is an iconic location.

Also, I think this'd be a unique stage as there really isn't another stage that's crumbled like this and I think the lighting effects would be beautiful.
SHIIIIIIIIIIIZAAAAAA

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
I’ll submit Devil May Cry Shop. Lady and Trish both make cameos.

Anyways here are all the options for Shonen Jump stages:
Jondolio Jondolio Zolyck Estate
Tankman from Newgrounds Tankman from Newgrounds Colosseum
CheeseAnton CheeseAnton The Cross

And Capcom stages:
Jondolio Jondolio Temen-ni-Gru
@Darkonedagger Mad Gear Hideout
Champion of Hyrule Champion of Hyrule Devil May Cry Shop

Please vote for your most wanted or second most wanted stage for both companies. Your own submission can only be in last place. My votes are:

1. Mad Gear
2. Temen Ni Gru

1. Cross
2. Zoldyck Estate

Champion of Hyrule

Smash Master
Here are the results of the Job #37 voting:
Zoldyck Estate 9
Colosseum 2
The Cross 14

Temen-Ni-Gru 9
Mad Gear Hideout 10
Devil May Cry Shop 6

And so The Cross, Zoldyck Estate, Mad Gear Hideout and Temen-Ni-Geu will be chosen as stages. Now onto the next job:

Job #38: Submit An Alternate Costume For A Capcom And Shonen Jump Character
Plesse submit an alternate costume for a capcom character or shonen jump character. Now you can submit costumes for characters with two already as well as costumes that change voices.

CheeseAnton

Smash Ace
Is this a point where we can submit a character to appear as a skin of someone else (like Olimar and Alph), because I have an idea I've been waiting to use for a while now.

Shonen Jump: DIO (Jotaro skin)
1637692757590.png
DIO is the villain of JoJo's Parts 1 and 3 and is Jotaro's main antagonist. Jotaro and DIO are nearly inseparable in anime crossovers, however we skipped him because of his similarities to Jotaro and us not wanting similar characters. Now that we have a solid JoJo lineup and can have alternate characters DIO just makes too much sense. Starting off he's iconic, dude can't walk 2 steps without being meme'd or referenced, secondly while Jotaro vs. DIO may have been overplayed it's still a great rivalry that should be in crossovers, and lastly I think DIO could have great interactions with the Capcom cast.

As to how DIO could fit Jotaro, they have the same stand except The World can't use Star Finger, however to work around that maybe DIO sends out a Space Ripper Stingy Eye (I know he only used this in Part 1 but it could be a neat callback to that part, and also I couldn't think of anything else). Aside from DIO now using SRSE, having ROAD ROLLA for an Ultimate, and the voice/dialogue change, no more changes (that I know of) need to happen.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Is this a point where we can submit a character to appear as a skin of someone else (like Olimar and Alph), because I have an idea I've been waiting to use for a while now.

Shonen Jump: DIO (Jotaro skin)
View attachment 338605
DIO is the villain of JoJo's Parts 1 and 3 and is Jotaro's main antagonist. Jotaro and DIO are nearly inseparable in anime crossovers, however we skipped him because of his similarities to Jotaro and us not wanting similar characters. Now that we have a solid JoJo lineup and can have alternate characters DIO just makes too much sense. Starting off he's iconic, dude can't walk 2 steps without being meme'd or referenced, secondly while Jotaro vs. DIO may have been overplayed it's still a great rivalry that should be in crossovers, and lastly I think DIO could have great interactions with the Capcom cast.

As to how DIO could fit Jotaro, they have the same stand except The World can't use Star Finger, however to work around that maybe DIO sends out a Space Ripper Stingy Eye (I know he only used this in Part 1 but it could be a neat callback to that part, and also I couldn't think of anything else). Aside from DIO now using SRSE and the voice/dialogue change, no more changes (that I know of) need to happen.
I don't know; a Dio without ROAD ROLLA seems like a missed opportunity.

Top Bottom