• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SmashBoards creates - Project X Zone 3: Fractured Bloodlines (Current Job: Chapter 1)

The fate of Reiji and Xiaomu

• Cut them

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Keep them, but not as the main protagonists

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Keep them as the main protagonists

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

airConditioner

Smash Ace

What is Project X Zone?
Project X Zone is a duology of Tactical RPGs on the Nintendo 3DS developed by Monolith Soft that feature a wide variety of characters from several companies. It started out as a successor of Namco × Capcom on the PlayStation 2, which was a crossover between Namco and Capcom franchises. These included major franchises like Street Fighter, Tekken, Tales of, and Mega Man, as well as other franchises including Klonoa and Darkstalkers. Sega joined the party later on in the first Project X Zone released in 2012. A sequel to this game was released, this time featuring surprise appearances from Nintendo characters.
This creation thread will be focused on the main selling point of the game - the roster, as well as improving the gameplay. While we will have jobs for story, we'll only be doing an outline because incorporating a lot of these characters is hard!!

CharacterOriginType of Unit
Javier Cielo​
Project X Zone
Pair (with Valeria)​
Valeria Cielo​
Project X Zone
Pair (with Javier)​

Reiji Arisu​
Namco × Capcom
Pair (with Xiaomu)​

Xiaomu​
Namco × Capcom
Pair (with Reiji)​

Shion Uzuki​
Xenosaga
Pair (with KOS-MOS)​

KOS-MOS​
Xenosaga
Pair (with Shion)​

Gilgamesh​
Babylonian Castle Saga
Solo​

Haruka Amami​
The IDOLM@STER
Solo​

Ryu​
Street Fighter
Pair (with Ken)​

Ken Masters​
Street Fighter
Pair (with Ryu)​

Morrigan Aensland​
Darkstalkers
Pair (Partner Undecided)​

Phoenix Wright & Maya Fey​
Ace Attorney
Pair (Partner Undecided)​

Dante​
Devil May Cry
Pair (with Bayonetta)​

Mega Man​
Mega Man Star Force
Pair (with Harpnote)​

Harpnote​
Mega Man Star Force
Pair (with Mega Man)​

Ruby Heart​
Versus
Solo​

Juri Han​
Street Fighter
Solo​

Frank West​
Dead Rising
Solo​

Sakura Shinguji​
Sakura Wars
Pair (with Sakura Amamiya)​

Akira Yuki​
Virtua Fighter
Pair (with Aoi Umenokoji)​

Ulala​
Space Channel 5
Solo​

Vyse​
Skies of Arcadia
Pair (with Aika)​

Aika​
Skies of Arcadia
Pair (with Vyse)​

Sakura Amamiya​
Sakura Wars
Pair (with Sakura Shinguji)​

Aoi Umenokoji​
Virtua Fighter
Pair (with Akira Yuki)​

Bayonetta​
Bayonetta
Pair (with Dante)​

Terry Bogard​
Fatal Fury
Pair (with Rock)​

Rock Howard​
Fatal Fury
Pair (with Terry)​

Athena Asamiya​
Psycho Soldier
Solo​

Akari Ichijou​
The Last Blade
Solo​

Pyra​
Xenoblade Chronicles
Pair (with Mythra)​

Mythra​
Xenoblade Chronicles
Pair (with Pyra)​

Sami​
Advance Wars
Solo​
Pair Units
  • Javier Cielo & Valeria Cielo (Project X Zone, Bandai-Namco)
  • Reiji Arisu & Xiaomu (Namco × Capcom, Bandai-Namco)
  • Shion Uzuki & KOS-MOS (Xenosaga, Bandai-Namco)
  • Ryu & Ken Masters (Street Fighter, Capcom)
  • Terry Bogard & Rock Howard (Fatal Fury, SNK)
  • Vyse & Aika (Skies of Arcadia, Sega)
  • Mega Man & Harpnote (Mega Man Star Force, Capcom)
  • Sakura Shinguji & Sakura Amamiya (Sakura Wars, Sega)
  • Akira Yuki & Aoi Umenokoji (Virtua Fighter, Sega)
  • Dante & Bayonetta (Devil May Cry / Bayonetta, Capcom / Sega)
Solo Units
  • Athena Asamiya (Psycho Soldier, SNK)
  • Gilgamesh (Babylonian Castle Saga, Bandai-Namco)
  • Ulala (Space Channel 5, Sega)
Unsorted
  • Morrigan Aensland (Darkstalkers, Capcom)
  • Phoenix Wright & Maya Fey (Ace Attorney, Capcom)
Minor Changes
  • On-board cutscenes
  • Changing the display character of a unit (which would also change the theme that plays)
  • Fast Forward
Major Changes
  • Solo units can move freely
  • Trio attacks can be performed using certain solos and pairs
  • Attack Typings
Modes
  • Story Mode
  • Training Mode
  • Player vs. Player
TBA
TBA
Major Bosses
  • Geese Howard (Fatal Fury)
Playable Characters (Playlist Link)
Bosses
  • Bandai-Namco
  • Capcom
  • Sega
  • SNK
  • Nintendo

Last edited:

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Sticking to what I said in the previous thread
Job numbah 2

I'd rather not do any new companies, but if we do, I think it should be just one and with the same amount of content Nintendo got last game

Job numbah 3

So, like, I'd like it if Nintendo got to have the full treatment but in all honesty it's prolly the right move to keep it limited. I do wanna see something else thrown in besides FE and Xenoblade tho

cashregister9

Smash Hero
Job 1

64 Total Characters

32 Pairs, 32 Solo

Job 2

1 new company to prevent things from getting too bloated

Job 3

I believe Nintendo should return but should only have Fire Emblem and Xenoblade and maybe a third series like Golden Sun or something.

Last edited:
This thread sounds fun to me!
Job 1:
The roster could be same as cashregister9 cashregister9 said.
32 Pairs, 32 Assists.

Job 2:
1 or 2 Companies. I believe that could be 1 company, because like @cashregister9 said that we can't bloat the game.

Job 3:
Heck yes, Nintendo would fit.
And establish it as Main company like SEGA, since this game is gonna be Switch-exclusive.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Just repeating the previous post a bit:

I would want one new company

I would want Nintendo to get a bit of an expanded role, with a longer game in terms of chapters to acomodate the added roster number.
The PXZ games typically run with around 40 chapters or so, expanding it to around 50 or so should be enough to fit a few extra characters. Even if some dont get as muchscreen time as others.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I would say this:

1) I don’t know much about the series 68 characters with mostly pairs with a few individual characters.
2) One more company with a toss up between Square, Arc Sys, or Koei. Preferably ArcSys.
3) I wouldn’t mind but it’s not a selling point. If we did, I would like Rex & Pyra pair followed by Byleth, Springman, and Takamaru.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
Okay, looks like we got a few ideas for each job so far:

Job 1:
64 units, split in half
50 units, split in half
68 units, with more pairs than solos

Job 2:
No new companies
1 new company, but keep it as a guest
1 new company, full participant
2 new companies, full participants

Job 3:
Nintendo stays as a guest with some expansions
Nintendo is upgraded to a full company

Vote now on your phones!
Additionally, there will be a poll at the top of the thread regarding Reiji and Xiaomu's roles.

Job 4: Submit a returning character (only one)
Maybe this is a little early, but please submit a character who has appeared in either Project X Zone 1 or 2. This is to get some of the more obvious picks out of the way. Only submit one for now, doesn't matter if they were a solo or pair unit. We'll decide whether or not these characters will be solos or pairs later on. Depending on how many submissions we get we may or may not do a voting round. Phoenix Wright & Maya Fey will be treated like so: you can submit both at once (making them a single character), or you can submit just Phoenix or just Maya.

When submitting your character, please include:
  • Name
  • Debut
  • What game they are based on (either appearance or gameplay, or both)
  • What company they represent
  • Whatever reasons you chose to submit them.
=

You all know who I'm submitting.

KOS-MOS, the anti-Gnosis battle android developed by Vector Industries, returns for battle in Project X Zone 3! First making her debut in Xenosaga Episode I, she appears in Namco × Capcom and both previous Project X Zone games. Again, she retains her ver. 4 appearance from Xenosaga Episode III, which is her ultimate appearance and grants her the most techniques. While she uses her ver. 4 appearance, she can still have access to skills only accessible in Episodes I and II. KOS-MOS is my first pick right now as she's been in every past game. Monolith Soft and Bandai-Namco are the ones who develop this game and as such, they would most likely insert their mascot and one of their most recognizable characters in this game.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Can we include Namco X Capcom characters since that's a part of this series? I'm doing it:

Klonoa
From the Klonoa series
He appeared as a pair unit with his edgy character Guntz in Namco X Capcom but didnt return in the sequels, with Klonoa returning on the Switch i would like to see him return to the X zone series as well if it were to happen.
Though i imagine him being a solo unit this time around instead of a pair unit.​

airConditioner

Smash Ace
Can we include Namco X Capcom characters since that's a part of this series? I'm doing it:

Klonoa
From the Klonoa series
He appeared as a pair unit with his edgy character Guntz in Namco X Capcom but didnt return in the sequels, with Klonoa returning on the Switch i would like to see him return to the X zone series as well if it were to happen.
Though i imagine him being a solo unit this time around instead of a pair unit.​
Just the Project X Zones for now sorry

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #4: Ulala (Space Channel 5) - SEGA

1644504316684.png

Ulala is an intergalactic news reporter who made her debut as the protagonist of the 1999 rhythm game Space Channel 5. While her skill set is simple as a solo unit (her Tension Blaster laser guns from her first game and her electro guitar from her second game), Ulala has a unique gimmick as she calls various retro SEGA characters to the news scene to help her in battle.

Aside from gaining a new, neon yellow-colored outfit from her latest game Space Channel 5 VR: Kinda Funky News Flash!, she would also gain a new set of three characters to aid her in battle, just like she did in PXZ2. These characters could be;

An F-14 Tomcat jet airplane that would fire missiles (Afterburner)​
A red penguin that would push giant ice blocks (Pengo)​
Mary, a red-clad woman with a jetpack, launches several shots from a bazooka (Quartet)​

I think Ulala makes perfect sense as a veteran. Her games are among some of the most iconic titles of Dreamcast, she has a large number of crossover appearances under her belt, she appeared in both previous entries and she's a fun character with enduring popularity.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
Job #4: Veteran Character - Taira no Kagekiyo

Taira no Kagekiyo is the protagonist of Namco's 1986 arcade classic Genpei Tōma Den, it's Famicom-exclusive virtual board game adaptation (Computer Board Game) and a sequel, Samurai-Ghost which was released for the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine console in 1992. Based on the real-life historical figure, he was a samurai from the Taira Clan who died in the Battle of Dan-no-ura, the last battle of the Genpei War, which resulted in his clan being destroyed by the Minamoto clan led by his arch-nemesis, Minamoto no Yorimoto. To avenge his clan's destruction after having been revived as a undead warrior by Andaba, the guardian of the Sanzu River, Kagekiyo has to obtain the three sacred treasures, Imperial Regalia of Japan (which consists of Magamati's jewel, Kagami's mirror and Kusanagi's sword) as he travels into Kamikura in order to defeat Yoritomo and his army of demons & henchmen, Minamoto no Yoshi-tsune and Saito Musashibō Benkei.

The series was resurrected as a webcomic titled "Scar" as part of Namco's defunct subsidiary ShiftyLook's library, where he fought cyborg samurais instead of demons. He later appeared in other video games such as a WonderSwan tactical role-playing game Namco Super Wars, Namco High as a captain of the school's wrestleball team, Tales of Eternia where he prevents the player from advancing through certain doorways in the Aifread's Tomb dungeon (alongside Splatterhouse's Rick Taylor), Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon, Soul Calibur III and Tekken 6 as a costume (for Yoshimitsu in latter two), Pac-Man 99 and finally, Namco x Capcom, where he teamed up with Soul Calibur's Mitsurugi and Yokai Dochuki/Shadow Land's Tarosuke.

For Project X Zone 3, I think he would appear as a Solo Unit this time, using his katana for quick slashing attacks such as his signature technique "Senpuken", which involves him spinning it around in a circle with one arm for quickly eliminating enemies and shooting energy shockwave projectiles forward with "Shinkuzan". He can also use magic (a list) as seen in Genpei Tōma Den: Computer Board Game and the Imperial Regalia of Japan treasures themselves for a destructive attack.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Job #4: Veteran Character - Taira no Kagekiyo

Taira no Kagekiyo is the protagonist of Namco's 1986 arcade classic Genpei Tōma Den, it's Famicom-exclusive virtual board game adaptation (Computer Board Game) and a sequel, Samurai-Ghost which was released for the TurboGrafx-16/PC Engine console in 1992. Based on the real-life historical figure, he was a samurai from the Taira Clan who died in the Battle of Dan-no-ura, the last battle of the Genpei War, which resulted in his clan being destroyed by the Minamoto clan led by his arch-nemesis, Minamoto no Yorimoto. To avenge his clan's destruction after having been revived as a undead warrior by Andaba, the guardian of the Sanzu River, Kagekiyo has to obtain the three sacred treasures, Imperial Regalia of Japan (which consists of Magamati's jewel, Kagami's mirror and Kusanagi's sword) as he travels into Kamikura in order to defeat Yoritomo and his army of demons & henchmen, Minamoto no Yo****sune and Saito Musashibō Benkei.

The series was resurrected as a webcomic titled "Scar" as part of Namco's defunct subsidiary ShiftyLook's library, where he fought cyborg samurais instead of demons. He later appeared in other video games such as a WonderSwan tactical role-playing game Namco Super Wars, Namco High as a captain of the school's wrestleball team, Tales of Eternia where he prevents the player from advancing through certain doorways in the Aifread's Tomb dungeon (alongside Splatterhouse's Rick Taylor), Tales of Phantasia: Narikiri Dungeon, Soul Calibur III and Tekken 6 as a costume (for Yoshimitsu in latter two), Pac-Man 99 and finally, Namco x Capcom, where he teamed up with Soul Calibur's Mitsurugi and Yokai Dochuki/Shadow Land's Tarosuke.

For Project X Zone 3, I think he would appear as a Solo Unit this time, using his katana for quick slashing attacks such as his signature technique "Senpuken", which involves him spinning it around in a circle with one arm for quickly eliminating enemies and shooting energy shockwave projectiles forward with "Shinkuzan". He can also use magic (a list) as seen in Genpei Tōma Den: Computer Board Game and the Imperial Regalia of Japan treasures themselves for a destructive attack.
He was only in Namco X Capcom so sadly doesn't count for this round iirc.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
Here are the results for Jobs 1-3!

Based on this, we'll be adding a total of 64 characters, split evenly between pairs and solos. We'll also be having Nintendo return as a guest company but we'll also be adding 1 full company!

Also, Job 4 is now closed!!
Based on the number of submissions, I think it would be perfectly fine to take all of these. So far we have:
If I'm not mistaken, this is basically most of the perfect attendance crew (aside from Phoenix and Maya) so the job went as intended.

Jobs 5 & 6: Submit a new company and a minor gameplay change
Well, since we've decided on adding a new company in full, let's submit a new company! Please pick a company whose characters would fit in the aesthetic of Project X Zone~

Also, we'll be starting on gameplay. Submit something that's more of a QOL or a minor change. We'll be starting on major changes for the next job, but for now just do something really little.

D

Deleted member

2560px-SNK_logo.svg.png

The PXZ games feature a lot of Fighting Game characters. SNK have a wonderful cast of characters that would fit well into this seires. But they don't only have Fighting games, as they have many games to pull from, from run and gun games to puzzle games. SNK have came back in a big way these last couple years.

EMkjRSDWsAYDDc4.jpg

Samurai_Shodown_cast_trailer_header.jpg

Metal_Slug.jpg

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Poop on a stick Square Enix got taken!

Quickly submitting Koei Tecmo

I originally intended to submit Arc Sys and I do think that would be ideal for this job (Sol and Ky, Baiken, Ragna and Noelle for starters) but I feel Koei has a lot to offer with Hayabusa, the DOA cast, Fatal Frame, Nioh, Atelier, Dynasty Warriors, Nights of Azure, Nobunaga’s Ambition, and Monster Rancher…and maybe even Tecmo Bowl

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
#Job 5

Koei-Tecmo-Official-Logo-1200x675.jpg

Koei Tecmo is another company that I have in mind in which they are mostly known for the Ninja Gaiden, Dead or Alive and Atelier franchises.

EDIT:

konami.jpg

I'll change my choice since Koei Tecmo had already been submitted, I think I will opt for Konami instead. They are a video game compnay that are mostly known for Bomberman, Metal Gear, Twinbee, Bloody Roar and Castlevania.

Last edited:

airConditioner

Smash Ace
I've made a discord so we don't have to hijack the Smash Infinite one

Also, the thread poll seems to indicate that we'll be focusing on some other characters, but Reiji & Xiaomu will still be playable.

A new thread poll will be added after some feedback. It was kind of a bad move to have the number of characters + new company votes at the same time, since we'll be shrinking the other companies to make room for the new full one. So, should we increase the amount of characters to make some room for the new company?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I dont know if this is relevant, but my response to the poll is this:
I think Reiji should be partnered with someone else like a new protagonist, with Xiaomu being there for plot reasons but may or may not be playable later on as a solo unit where she gets funny dialogue with everyone.

Now as for the actual job:

Square enix.

I mean, come on. the main organization in PXZ is named Shinra, that's perfect for Cloud and Tifa.

As for gameplay changes, this one isnt really important to most people, but i think it really would add a lot to the crossover feel, so in Super robot wars 30 they had these things that i think were called "on board cutscenes", where after using a certain group of characters over a certain period in the story you unlocked these little side cutscenes with them in the games home base, where these certain characters would banter in a small cutscene like a Fire emblem support conversation, comparing each others franchises and giving us some neat little moments with the characters outside of battle.

It would be neat if PXZ adopted this feature.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
Some announcements:

New company submissions will remain open until tomorrow morning ish.

As I said before, it came to my attention that by having the character limit vote and the new company vote at the same time was a little short-sighted of me regardless of who won. Regardless of the number that won, we would have to shrink the representation of the existing companies down to accommodate for the new company. So usually theoretically with 3 companies and our current limit, we would have around 10 pairs units per company with an additional few for Nintendo. However, with the 4 there would be exactly around 7-8 per company while leaving room for Nintendo. For comparison, the previous games had 20 pairs and 19 pairs respectively. Should we bump the character limit up a little to give us a little room for the new company? I've attached a projected distribution of the characters for easy visualization. It's not final but it should give an idea if you want to make your opinion heard. Since I can't edit the thread poll at the moment please give your opinion below.

Also regarding future character submissions, I've decided that we won't be allowing for the more cartoony characters. It sucks to ban Klonoa after he's gotten his big return but I want to keep the project as close to the aesthetic of the previous games as much as possible. It was a difficult decision to make and I don't think I'll be going back on it. However, I'll try to be as lenient as I can on the characters, and cartoony characters are still available to appear in attacks and other cameos. Stages and other objects from their games are still allowed as well.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job #5: Square Enix

1644560536598.png

It wouldn't be a stretch to call Square Enix one of the most famous Japanese video game developers after the four we already have. With iconic franchises under their belt, like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile, Chrono, and SaGa (as well as a few that aren't RPGs), if we're giving any company a main participant treatment over Nintendo, I think it should be SE.

Some announcements:

New company submissions will remain open until tomorrow morning ish.

As I said before, it came to my attention that by having the character limit vote and the new company vote at the same time was a little short-sighted of me regardless of who won. Regardless of the number that won, we would have to shrink the representation of the existing companies down to accommodate for the new company. So usually theoretically with 3 companies and our current limit, we would have around 10 pairs units per company with an additional few for Nintendo. However, with the 4 there would be exactly around 7-8 per company while leaving room for Nintendo. For comparison, the previous games had 20 pairs and 19 pairs respectively. Should we bump the character limit up a little to give us a little room for the new company? I've attached a projected distribution of the characters for easy visualization. It's not final but it should give an idea if you want to make your opinion heard. Since I can't edit the thread poll at the moment please give your opinion below.

Also regarding future character submissions, I've decided that we won't be allowing for the more cartoony characters. It sucks to ban Klonoa after he's gotten his big return but I want to keep the project as close to the aesthetic of the previous games as much as possible. It was a difficult decision to make and I don't think I'll be going back on it. However, I'll try to be as lenient as I can on the characters, and cartoony characters are still available to appear in attacks and other cameos. Stages and other objects from their games are still allowed as well.
I think it makes sense to increase the character limit. People may have voted the character limit with 3+1 companies in mind and I don't think it'd be fair to give less content to veterans over a currently undetermined newcomer.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
As for a minor gameplay addition I would like...

Being able to change which character you're moving. When you're moving your unit in the game, you could only see the character that led the team on the map. I'd like to be able to swap freely between the leader, the other in the duo, and the equipped solo unit as a cosmetic change.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Job 6: Fast forward

One common complaint about PXZ was how long the battles took due to each individual enemy having large health bars that took additional inputs from players. In this game, we can have an optional feature where the player can "skip" battles if the minimum damage they can deal is enough to defeat an enemy unit.

airConditioner

Smash Ace
Job 5 closed :) Here are your companies

SNK @Darkonedagger
Square Enix Yiptap Yiptap Hadokeyblade Hadokeyblade osby osby
Koei Tecmo Venus of the Desert Bloom Venus of the Desert Bloom
Konami dezeray112 dezeray112
Arc System Works cashregister9 cashregister9

We'll be using ranked voting so please vote in the thread. Vote for your top 3 - you may vote for your own in 2nd or 3rd place.

Job 6 also closed
These are minor changes so we'll take all of them 🙂

Solo units can now move freely + trio attacks Perkilator Perkilator
On-board cutscenes Hadokeyblade Hadokeyblade
Changing a unit's display character airConditioner airConditioner
Fast-forward osby osby
Jobs 7 and 8: A Major Gameplay Change & An Extra Mode
Job 7: Yeah I think this coming after a minor gameplay change is to be expected. Basically, submit something that would change the game's structure, how it's played, how players come up with strategies, etc. I'd also count Trio Attacks as a major gameplay change so Perkilator Perkilator if you could expand a bit on the solo units moving freely and trio attacks that would be super great.

Job 8: Submit an extra mode. Something like a gallery mode, a dating sim mode, whatever. The game needs to have something to do with all the characters you collect and an extra mode would be nice for that.

Once we finish with company voting, we will begin the next character job, which is giving an unpaired character or characters a partner. Also, please give your opinion on the character count if you have an opinion!

Last edited:
Voting time:
1. Square Enix
2. SNK
3. Arc System Works

Shout-out to Konami and Koei Tecmo!

Job 7:
Charged Attacks

Now, everyone has one charged attack that you can charge it and if it's fully charged, it deals huge damage, but if isn't, it's very weak.
So, better anyone need a charge attack that you can charge to destroy the opponent.

Job 8:
Fighting Mode!

Now characters can fight like in Fighting Games liek Street Fighter, KoF, Tekken or etc. Their moves are gonna be implemented in this game as fighting moves,
So, if you're fighting game character, then better have this mode just for fight and fun.
The game has online, so you could fight with other guy from other side of the earth or play with other near your location.

Top Bottom